• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt the same way after I saw it. Like, I didn't want to come out and say it - because there really are so many incredible action flicks out there - but there's just something flat-out symphonic about the way this movie looks and feels. If they manage to wrap up John's story on a similarly high note, it could easily go down as a top 5 action franchise... and even they somehow miss that mark, the grammar/choreography/stunt work in Chapter 2 earns its place in the action movie pantheon alongside stuff like Hardboiled, Enter The Dragon, Police Story, and The Raid.
At first I was getting a tad disappointed that there was no moment as smooth and flowing as the night club scene but then that finale started and damn, it was pure gun-fu bliss

Llyranor

I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Such an amazing sequel. In my top 5 action movies of all time.

The Raid > John Wick 2> Hard Boiled > Police Story/John Wick > Ong-Bak/Raid 2/ Elite Squad.

Wait, I've never heard of this film. Does it really rival the others?

Mayyhem

John Wick was one of my favorite action movies in recent memories and I cannot believe how well they pulled off Chapter 2.

What an amazing movie! It was everything I wanted when I thought about a sequel for this. 10/10. Pure enjoyment. I caught myself plotting when I was going to see it again, many times during the movie.

After having a day to stew, JWc2 definitely makes my top 10 action films of all-time list, something the original didn't even accomplish and I love that film wholeheartedly. But between the hard-boiled-esque opening scene to the Raid 2-esque subway fight to the Enter the Dragon-esque finale, JWc2 is like a greatest hits of action films while also being completely it's own thing. The coolest thing though is that the movie has an amazing tone and can fluctuate from heart-stopping suspense to making you laugh your ass off so fast you get whiplash.

Also, can I mention the the fucking Rome sequence, which feels exactly like what a great Hitman movie should feel like for two hours. The combination of cinematography, music and character interaction is peak Wick and just barely tops the Red Circle club shootout in the first. Man, the more I think about this movie the more pumped I get. The only thing I'm still not sure about are the hobo hitman. I'm wrestling with myself trying to figure out if it's brilliant or retarded. Either way the movie more than delivered and leaves Wick in the best place possible for the next chapter.

Harmen

Really surprised this one seems to be good, actually. I really like the original (not as much as some of you), but I kind of expected this to be a derivate film trying to be bigger and better and falling flat. Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case at all. Looking forward to seeing it.

Wait, I've never heard of this film. Does it really rival the others?

That film and it's sequel are great, but I am not sure if I would count them as straight up stylish action flicks. Not nearly as action driven and not nearly as over the top. Nonetheless, they are great, very suspenseful films to watch.

After having a day to stew, JWc2 definitely makes my top 10 action films of all-time list, something the original didn't even accomplish and I love that film wholeheartedly. But between the hard-boiled-esque opening scene to the Raid 2-esque subway fight to the Enter the Dragon-esque finale, JWc2 is like a greatest hits of action films while also being completely it's own thing. The coolest thing though is that the movie has an amazing tone and can fluctuate from heart-stopping suspense to making you laugh your ass off so fast you get whiplash.

Also, can I mention the the fucking Rome sequence, which feels exactly like what a great Hitman movie should feel like for two hours. The combination of cinematography, music and character interaction is peak Wick and just barely tops the Red Circle club shootout in the first. Man, the more I think about this movie the more pumped I get. The only thing I'm still not sure about are the hobo hitman. I'm wrestling with myself trying to figure out if it's brilliant or retarded. Either way the movie more than delivered and leaves Wick in the best place possible for the next chapter.
1) It seemed like they arent really homeless. They just pretend to be so they can have eyes and ears everywhere.
2)
It sets the seeds for networks and groups outside of ones affiliated with the Continental

So I think it works well

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Some comments/thoughts on the world:
I really liked how this built on the world but still left a lot of mystery. Is everyone a part of this assassin-like society, or is it a group/guild you have to join? It seems like John Wick is by far the best member of this group and highly respected.

I really like the currency - the gold coins. Money is clearly still important for the world - bounties are in cash, not gold coins. The gold coins are like "gimmes." They don't have a fixed value, they just get you anything you want. In the movie they are exchanged for pretty much anything within the guild; weapons, drinks, safe passage, etc. It's an internalized currency for favors, it seems.

I'm still under the belief that the homeless people are indeed homeless. It seems like the assassins all hold normal jobs - street beggars, violinists, janitors, etc. Upon joining the group, do you earn the right to a weapon? Does this have to do with the separation of money / gold coins?

What did John do to escape the guild and return to normal life? I know it has to do with the token, but how did the guy help him escape?

Anyways, I really like how this movie built the world in a real way but still left a lot of mystery.

nemesun

That film and it's sequel are great, but I am not sure if I would count them as straight up stylish action flicks. Not nearly as action driven and not nearly as over the top. Nonetheless, they are great, very suspenseful films to watch.
ES is as stylish action flick as it gets. Lest we forget that movie inspired the last iteration of Max Payne game for better or worse.

Why do assasins all use old Nokia candy bar slider phones?

Why does John Wick use an old iPhone 4/5? Dude needs a visit to the Apple store and get one of the genius bar guys to transfer his wife's videos on a new iPhone.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Why do assasins all use old Nokia candy bar slider phones?

Why does John Wick use an old iPhone 4/5? Dude needs a visit to the Apple store and get one of the genius bar guys to transfer his wife's videos on a new iPhone.

Maybe it was a gift from his wife?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The fact that Wick needs to repeatedly reload, as well as deal with the time needed to switch weapons during a fight, really adds to the shootouts. They have a rhythm to them that you just can't have when your heroes have bottomless magazines

that was something I greatly appreciated in this movie. How often they had to show him reload and what kind of balance he needed to play between hand to hand and reloading. it adds a lot to the myth of john that he is always three steps ahead of everyone else tactically. When it comes to shit like that or even how he fought. Everyone else is living in this unlimited ammo, gymnastics/ballerina world of hand to hand fighting theatrics, but john just being a measured and controlled individual is considered in all of his movements. He doesn't show off what he can do, he just focuses on what needs to be done.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yes, it's crazy good. Don't sleep on it. Just make sure you watch Elite Squad: Enemy Within , not the first film.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/elite_squad_the_enemy_within

Both are absolutely phenomenal films, but I would say they are more Thrillers than Action films. Think more like Heat with a great action pieces in a drama, compared to purely action movies like this.

I felt the same way after I saw it. Like, I didn't want to come out and say it - because there really are so many incredible action flicks out there - but there's just something flat-out symphonic about the way this movie looks and feels. If they manage to wrap up John's story on a similarly high note, it could easily go down as a top 5 action franchise... and even if they somehow miss that mark, the grammar/choreography/stunt work in Chapter 2 earns its place in the action movie pantheon alongside stuff like Hardboiled, Enter The Dragon, Police Story, and The Raid.

The end was so fucking channeling Enter the Dragon.
Minute you saw the mirrors, you know it was happening

On the topic of if everyone is apart of the Assassin World

I don't believe that is what the end scene represented, but more like showing how many people were looking for Wick. That alone was from the 7 million dollar contract and all the people in the end scene were looking to get a piece of the pie. They know where he is at and who he is meeting.

But it was also demonstrating the power Winston had to protect him previously. Even with the contract, it's very clear The Continental is feared above it. You don't fuck with Al Swearengen, hence why he was giving him an hour. Their rules are still respected above all else, but at the same time, he can't go to war for him.

It's not that everyone is apart of the world, but John Wick is like the fire to moths. They will flock to him.

Qvoth

the one handed pistol reload he did during the museum shootout seems kinda out of place though lol, pretty sure his left hand was free so no reason to do that other than to look cool
wtzgU.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
On a side note, I just want Ian McShane to drop the line, Cocksucker, once in this series. As a Deadwood fan, it is almost a requirement. I still can't get him as Al out of my head every time I've seen him in a film. And Al was English too.

OMG that was perfect.

- "Are you here for the Pope?" was the highlight for me.
- That tension on whether he would take the shot in the Continental.
- That ending sequence with the phones ringing as he started running was awesome.
- I saw that some people mentioned the last 20 mins was a bit of a drop but they went full Enter The Dragon!

Woorloog

Banned
Found the answer in a nifty little infographic here:

http://i.imgur.com/fI8H5MA.jpg

Reaaaaally makes me want to go see the flick again.

80% accuracy is pretty crazy. Don't special forces have something like 15% accuracy? And standard military forces have far lesser accuracy.
(And, IIRC, only 1% of shots fire during WWII were hits, though this naturally ignores things like suppressive fire that isn't intended to hit really.)

Monocle

Fantastic sequel. Exceeded expectations. Great world building, terrific action, and just the right balance of familiar and new.

If you thought The Joker had a cool pencil trick...

Monocle

I have a hard time believing someone did this in less than 48 hours after the film was released to theatres. You'd have to go through the movie with pause/rewind playback to get such accurate numbers.
Maybe they used a pirated copy or something. Possible.

Nokterian

Rewatched john wick yesterday and i am going tomorrow at 12:00 EU time..i am excited, keanu is just to awesome and love how dedicated he is to his roles.

80% accuracy is pretty crazy. Don't special forces have something like 15% accuracy? And standard military forces have far lesser accuracy.
(And, IIRC, only 1% of shots fire during WWII were hits, though this naturally ignores things like suppressive fire that isn't intended to hit really.)
Would've been even higher if it weren't for that
fight with Common. :)

The Continental needs its own spin-off series on HBO. Just have characters check in n out and we follow them along every week on their various task and missions.

The Continental needs its own spin-off series on HBO. Just have characters check in n out and we follow them along every week on their various task and missions.

I was talking to my coworkers about the same thing yesterday. Every episode would focus on one assassin and his mission, and have famous actors be the assassins. This way they don't have to have some guy playing Wick, Keanu is Wick.

Zetta

This was such a fantastic movie. The action was top notch and I ended up loving all the info we see on this society of assassins. All I remember thinking at the end of the film was that I wanted more and as soon as possible. The
pencil
scene was my favorite of the movie lol.

Back from my third viewing since yesterday. Something stuck out to me that hadn't before.
After killing Santino, Wick fully expected to die and had accepted it. Charon's arrival at his home, the trip back to New York and Charon's goodbye leave no question he's about to be punished ala Ms. Perkins. He doesn't fight it. He even seems a little surprised when Winston spares him an immediate execution and instead allows him a chance to flee.

Viewing the ending again has slightly deepened my appreciation for the film and John's decision to break the Continental Rules.

Woorloog

Banned
Back from my third viewing since yesterday. Something stuck out to me that hadn't before.
After killing Santino, Wick fully expected to die and had accepted it. Charon's arrival at his home, the trip back to New York and Charon's goodbye leave no question he's about to be punished ala Ms. Perkins. He doesn't fight it. He even seems a little surprised when Winston spares him an immediate execution and instead allows him a chance to flee.

Viewing the ending again has slightly deepened my appreciation for the film and John's decision to break the Continental Rules.

As i suggested previously,
i figure Wick has a death wish of some kind. It is like, he likes his work, but he also remembers how things are outside and doesn't really like his work anymore. Or something like that.

The One and Done™;230137925 said:
Cassian vs. John was worth the price of admission. Holy shit.
Their fights might be my favorites in an action movie since The Raid 2. The moves are technical and skillful, but feel raw, desperate, and angry.

so according to that chart,
Cassian is officially dead huh? or is that still up for debate?
Eh.
John clearly spared his life, as he is wont to do with fellow denizens in the Underworld (Perkins, Frances, Morpheus). If Cassian was meant to die we would have seen it, I am sure, ala every other person he stabs in the heart in the film.

My theater was playing the movie at a really loud volume and holy shit RIP my ears.

Good movie. I admit I was disappointed that it took so long to the gun-fu after the first one.

Also I guess we can summarize the trilogy like this:

1. They kill his dog so he kills them all.
2. They blow up his house so he kills them all.
3. He kills them all.

My theater was playing the movie at a really loud volume and holy shit RIP my ears.

Good movie. I admit I was disappointed that it took so long to the gun-fu after the first one.
I liked that. First was an angry off-the-cuff Wick. Here we got to see a prepared tactical Wick. The longer build-up was worth it IMO

Also I guess we can summarize the trilogy like this:

1. They kill his dog so he kills them all.
2. They blow up his house so he kills them all.
3. He kills them all.

They took his Continental membership, so he kills them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom