• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their fights might be my favorites in an action movie since The Raid 2. The moves are technical and skillful, but feel raw, desperate, and angry.

Cassian's a really cool character.
There's something chivalrous, samurai without a master about him that I like. Their fights are the highlights of the movie because you understand where they're both coming from and what motivates Cassian to want to kill Wick. I hope he found someone to toss a gold coin and help him out with that knife in his chest.

Just got back from seeing it.

I thought the scene where
Wick and Cassian are casually taking potshots at each other in public un-detected was fucking hillarious.

Great movie. Different than the first in really great ways.

Edit: Was there so much jiu jitsu/grappling in the first movie? It was definitely pretty prominently focused in this movie and it was something I could really appreciate considering how in-tune the culture is with MMA these days.

Its not impossible to survive that, although obviously the mortality rates are high. Its a movie though, so we can consider him alive. Probably.
I thought it was pretty clear that he's still alive. Wick let him live, specifically telling him how to stay alive. Same as the situation with Fishburne's character

If he had died, we'd see it happen.

Its not impossible to survive that, although obviously the mortality rates are high. Its a movie though, so we can consider him alive. Probably.
Looking at that chart,
it doesn't appear to count Cassian at all. The knife kill is for that assassin before their final confrontation.

Looking at that chart,
it doesn't appear to count Cassian at all. The knife kill is for that assassin before their final confrontation.

I think there was a point that Wick stabs Cassian in the heart -> lets him live but Wick stabs assassin girl in heart -> immediately pulls it out so she dies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Eh.
John clearly spared his life, as he is wont to do with fellow denizens in the Underworld (Perkins, Frances, Morpheus). If Cassian was meant to die we would have seen it, I am sure, ala every other person he stabs in the heart in the film.

"Remove it and die" He said to him, they show him just sitting there. He lived.

In comparison Ruby who he stabbed in the same place and removed the knife from. Meaning, she died.

WhiteWolf

Damn, that was a fantastic film. Wish there was a video game out there that could replicate the gun-fu artistry on display in John Wick.

Absolutely loved it. An amazing time at the movies. Already can't wait for more.

Also,
loved the band in the movie. The singer was awesome. Plus, Wick killing the guy on stage to thunderous applause was amazing.

Arrrammis

Fantastic movie, but a part of me hopes that
they don't make a third. Sure, more John Wick would be awesome, but he's already lost everything left to motivate him for revenge except for his second dog, and as cool as it would be to watch another 2 hours of him executing assassins without any reason, I think it's just better to let him disappear into the sunset with an army of assassins chasing the $14,000,000 bounty.

The Santorini character mentioned how he was the one responsible for Wick's riches from the Impossible Mission. Would you guys prefer a prequel over a sequel?

Fantastic movie, but a part of me hopes that
they don't make a third. Sure, more John Wick would be awesome, but he's already lost everything left to motivate him for revenge except for his second dog, and as cool as it would be to watch another 2 hours of him executing assassins without any reason, I think it's just better to let him disappear into the sunset with an army of assassins chasing the $14,000,000 bounty.
....about that.

A third film and a TV spinoff are already in the works. All we can do is hope they don't disappoint.

The JT

Neo Member
Saw it earlier today. Surpass the original in every way. I probably gonna watch again tomorrow. I absolutely loved when
Common and John were shooting other while in public.
I'm on bored for a sequel.

So many scenes in this movie game me the shivers, especially when
all the hitmen were getting the text about his bounty.
. I'm really liking the world they are building. Is this based on anything?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guys. This was incredible. I took my son, just me and him. Like my Dad took me in the 80's. Instant classic. We went to Wendy's after and talked non-stop about it. He got the Enter the Dragon homage!! So damn good. We will probably go see it again.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
Guys. This was incredible. I took my son, just me and him. Like my Dad took me in the 80's. Instant classic. We went to Wendy's after and talked non-stop about it. He got the Enter the Dragon homage!! So damn good. We will probably go see it again.

you raised him good. now just make sure he never steal someone's car or kill his dog.

Zetta

I hated this scene since I knew it was the end of the movie. I just wanted more at the end of this and thats always great for a movie franchise.

Could a Bond movie by Stahelski work well?
http://screenrant.com/john-wick-2-director-wants-to-bring-his-style-to-james-bond/
”I'm interested in projects where you can world create. To jump back into somebody else's world where it's already been around for so long would be scary. But if there was one property, that wouldn't be a bad one to try and invest yourself. Especially because of the ebb and flow of the Bond universe right now, I think the timing is good for a slight reinvention with a different perspective shift. Bond has gone from completely serious to totally cheeky to really fun again, to emotional, to serious, to internal, to external. I would love to give the pitch and if they got my wacky version of it, and it fit, yeah. That's almost a dream too big."

etta

my hard graphic balls
Got tickets, pumped as shit to watch it, got to the theater and no fucking parking spots. It's a massive complex with like 20 different bars and restaurants, and a Saturday night, so it makes sense, but fuuuuuuuck.
Gonna see if I can watch it tomorrow.

Stupidly excited for this film. Bought the first on Blurry a few days ago.

C3i10ZjVMAAQx9v.jpg

This is pure art.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Fuck. Almost makes me want to have a kid lol

DirtyLarry

I actually was somewhat disappointed.
I liked the movie, but I thought it was ever-so-slightly a bit much.
I do not know if it is the current political climate or what, but for the first time in my 42 years on this planet I felt the violence was at times just a bit too much.
I do believe there is a pretty simple reason however.
I believe the first movie had much better cinematography. I looked it up and sure enough it is two different people who did the cinematography.

I just feel like the first movie had way, way more stylized visuals. So it was very much like a graphic novel come to life on the screen. So while it too was ultra violent, it was presented in an interesting way so it was way easier to digest.
I felt this movie had a much more straightforward approach to the visuals and as such the violence itself was a lot more raw. In your face. I felt the depiction of the close quarters gun combat was just pretty damn intense. Lots of dudes getting their heads popped like melons.

The analogy I can use is have you ever seen a black and white photo close up shot of a crime scene? There is almost an artistic quality to it, and that makes what you are viewing way easier to look at.
Then have you ever seen the actual police photos of that same crime scene? Taken with a bad camera with the flash on from far away and everything is just lit brightly and you see the whole damn scene and it is way more disturbing to look at?
So sure, you can still look at that second picture, but you feel a bit weird doing so. At least I do.
That is how I feel about the two movies so far.

Even more strange, I would actually say I have a very high tolerance for simulated violence.
For some reason though, perhaps it was the fact it was a morning matinee and only 10:30 AM so I was not ready for it yet, I did feel the violence in Chapter 2 was ever-so-slightly a bit much.
It just could have either been presented in a more interesting way and/or there simply could have been more implied examples.

-griffy-

Banned
I thought it was pretty clear that he's still alive. Wick let him live, specifically telling him how to stay alive. Same as the situation with Fishburne's character

If he had died, we'd see it happen.

I'm hoping this means he'll be an ally to Wick in "John Wick Vs. The World
."

Why do assasins all use old Nokia candy bar slider phones?

Why does John Wick use an old iPhone 4/5? Dude needs a visit to the Apple store and get one of the genius bar guys to transfer his wife's videos on a new iPhone.

It does have a strong 90s feel throughout with all the flip phones and how $7 million is suddenly a lot of money. But then again the whole film is rolling in anachronisms like manually operated phone switchboards, vacuum tubes and monochrome data terminals.

Scarecrow

Someone give me the gist of what the sign language girl said throughout the movie. My theater didin't have English subtitles for any of the foreign languages.

gatling

Ugh I loved this movie so much. The choreography between Wick and Cassian grappling was so different than the rest of the film around the time they were tumbling down the never ending staircase. I instantly got buddy cop/assassin feelings. I was smirking the whole time during their sequences after that.

Brinbe

They took the best parts of the first one and just added right on top of it. Stupendous sequel. I want the third one now!
Stylish, fun and smart. One of the best NA action flix in a long time.

And I know world building is such a super trite phrase these days, but this movie fucking delivered on that front.

Now to play some hitman!

Charcoal

Someone give me the gist of what the sign language girl said throughout the movie. My theater didin't have English subtitles for any of the foreign languages.
Ruby Rose <333

She was basically just saying fuck you to John, telling her boss she fucked up, and saying see you again to John when she was dying.

I actually was somewhat disappointed.
I liked the movie, but I thought it was ever-so-slightly a bit much.
I do not know if it is the current political climate or what, but for the first time in my 42 years on this planet I felt the violence was at times just a bit too much.
I do believe there is a pretty simple reason however.
I believe the first movie had much better cinematography. I looked it up and sure enough it is two different people who did the cinematography.

I just feel like the first movie had way, way more stylized visuals. So it was very much like a graphic novel come to life on the screen. So while it too was ultra violent, it was presented in an interesting way so it was way easier to digest.
I felt this movie had a much more straightforward approach to the visuals and as such the violence itself was a lot more raw. In your face. I felt the depiction of the close quarters gun combat was just pretty damn intense. Lots of dudes getting their heads popped like melons.

The analogy I can use is have you ever seen a black and white photo close up shot of a crime scene? There is almost an artistic quality to it, and that makes what you are viewing way easier to look at.
Then have you ever seen the actual police photos of that same crime scene? Taken with a bad camera with the flash on from far away and everything is just lit brightly and you see the whole damn scene and it is way more disturbing to look at?
So sure, you can still look at that second picture, but you feel a bit weird doing so. At least I do.
That is how I feel about the two movies so far.

Even more strange, I would actually say I have a very high tolerance for simulated violence.
For some reason though, perhaps it was the fact it was a morning matinee and only 10:30 AM so I was not ready for it yet, I did feel the violence in Chapter 2 was ever-so-slightly a bit much.
It just could have either been presented in a more interesting way and/or there simply could have been more implied examples.

Maybe you were in a bad mood when you watched it.

Vulture just published a very long article going in depth into how the Wick series came to be (and almost wasn't). My appreciation for Keanu as an actor and a person is even higher, as he's largely credited with being the driving force behind the films. Some choice excerpts:

By Killing a Puppy, the Creators of John Wick Birthed a Franchise
On the eve of the sequel’s release, the people involved explain the story behind the cult hit.
http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/how-john-wick-became-the-decades-most-unusual-action-movie.html

By Derek Kolstad’s own admission, he had written something like “50 or 60 screenplays” before John Wick, which began life as a script called Scorn. Originally from Madison, Wisconsin, Kolstad had gone to business school and worked as a sales consultant before making the journey out to Los Angeles to try his hand at screenwriting. He got representation, a few credits, and eventually, after watching a bunch of recent revenge films that left him cold, the germ of the idea that would eventually become John Wick, which he drew from one of his favorite movies, the John Frankenheimer–Robert de Niro spy thriller Ronin.

At that point, his agent started shopping the script. According to Kolstad, there were a handful of offers on the table, but they ended up opting for the lowest bid, from Basil Iwanyk’s Thunder Road, the only buyer interested in making the film quickly. The company’s films include Ben Affleck’s The Town, Denis Villeneuve’s Sicario, and Taylor Sheridan’s Wind River, which recently screened at Sundance. Like John Wick, all of these movies take genres that might seem run-of-the-mill — bank-heist movie, drug-war movie, murder-investigation movie — and infuse them with a sense of style and spectacle.

Iwanyk says he acquired John Wick for “pennies, relative to what people buy scripts for,” on the strength of two aspects. The first was Kolstad’s tone, which brought a sparse, absurdist bent to the form of the revenge thriller. And second, of course, he responded to the dog.

As Iwanyk was figuring out what to do with his new acquisition, he heard that Keanu Reeves was looking for an action role. Reeves had been on something of a cold streak prior to 2014; while his directorial debut, Man of Tai Chi, had come out to solid reviews in 2013, it didn’t make any money at the box office, and 47 Ronin, a $175 million samurai epic, had only pulled in $38 million domestically that same year (though it managed more than $100 million overseas, a testament to Reeves’s international stature). While Reeves will forever be Neo in the minds of most fans, the Matrix trilogy was a decade behind him, and he had yet to find a role since that could take advantage of his unique blend of soft and hard, quiet and loud.

The next step was to find a director. Thunder Road brought in a number of candidates, but most of them had the same idea: The bad guys couldn’t just kill the dog, they needed to murder Wick’s entire family. For Iwanyk and Kolstad, that was completely missing the point. Meanwhile, Iwanyk and Reeves already had a couple of guys in mind to handle the second-unit direction and action design. Chad Stahelski and David Leitch had a career in action and stunts dating back to the 1990s, and both men had worked on the Matrix franchise, Stahelski as Reeves’s stunt double; Stahelski describes working for the Wachowskis on the trilogy as the “Harvard of film schools.”

“As we were coming up, Dave and I always wanted to direct. You kind of zone out — you start doing all your action directing, you really love doing what you’re doing, and then it gets to that point in your career where you’re like, I’d like to move on, but how do I evolve?” Stahelski says.

Stahelski told Reeves that he and Leitch were interested — but they wanted to direct it. They pitched a version infused with the framework of myth, likening the characters to Greek gods. They showed him a mock-up, using their company’s stunt team, of what they intended the film to look like, and they proposed upping the body count considerably. And where the other directors had wanted to do away with the dog as catalyst, Stahelski and Leitch had a different idea. They wanted to make the old dog a puppy.

Most striking of all, though, was the way they decided to shoot it. Instead of the shaky handheld-camera style that had come to dominate contemporary action filmmaking, Stahelski and Leitch wanted to use long takes that would keep the full scope of the fighting right in front of the camera. It’s a variation on the Hong Kong–originated style of “gun fu,” in which guns are treated more or less as a martial art; the progenitors of the form, which include the martial-arts movies of Jackie Chan, the ultraviolent shoot-em-ups of John Woo, and anime like Akira and Ghost in the Shell — all stated influences of Stahelski’s — prioritize clarity of vision and elegance of execution above all else.

“Most of modern-day action, the camera guys have never seen the action before and they’re wiggling around trying to find it and you’ve got five cameramen and you’re going to put all that footage together — that’s not creatively showing something, that’s creatively hiding things,” Stahelski says. “You spend your whole time hiding imperfections: hiding the lights, hiding the set, hiding the bad performances, hiding the stunt guys, hiding the wires, hiding the visual effects.”

To pull off their intended action design, Stahelski and Leitch had to do most of the work in pre-production, bringing their cameramen into rehearsals and heavily choreographing each scene. They drew on a competitive firearm-based martial art called 3-gun to help create Wick’s style, in which he wields the gun like a sword and finishes most of his opponents off in close quarters. And most of all, they needed Reeves to be able to do everything himself.

But while Stahelski and Leitch’s extensive experience on set, and Reeves’s comfort as a performer, made much of the production easier, all was not well as John Wick set into motion. Because the film was made without a studio attached, it was reliant on multiple sources of funding. “Four days before we started shooting, a chunk of financing just fell out. It just didn’t show up,” Iwanyk says. “I called my lawyer and said, ‘What’s going to happen to me if we pull the plug on the movie?’ And he’s like, ‘The following people are going to sue you,’ and just started listing off names. It was a catastrophe.”

Stahelski says they had to shut down at least twice during pre-production, with Iwanyk essentially holding the ship together with masking tape. And despite their extensive preparation, shooting itself was a race against the clock due to the wide array of locations in the film, as well as the choice to shoot in New York City, a priority of the filmmakers.

“You can’t just say, ‘Oh, we’ll come back here, or we’ll stay a little longer,’ cinematographer Jonathan Sela recalls. “And it took a while to get shots right, because if we didn’t like that turn or that kick or that hit, you’re holding for that long shot, so there were no other angles, no other coverage. We had to capture it the right way, because we had no other way out.”

“We always knew that if the tone was slightly off, the movie could’ve been laughable and, frankly, until we got the right running time for the movie, the movie did feel — laughable is the wrong word, but it felt like, what the fuck is this?” Iwanyk says. “Then one day, we got the tone right. We got the running time right, all of sudden, and it’s weird — it informed the tone and informed everything. Everything fell into place, and we were like, Hey, this is a pretty cool movie.” Iwanyk identified as a major turning point a moment during Stahelski and Leitch’s first preview of the film for audiences. Michael Nyqvist’s big-bad Viggo Tarasov has just called John Leguizamo’s Aurelio to ask why Aurelio had hit Tarasov’s son Iosef (Alfie Allen). Aurelio says, “He stole John Wick’s car and killed his dog.” When Tarasov responded with a simple “Oh,” indicating that he knew exactly why Aurelio had hit Iosef, everybody laughed, and Iwanyk knew they’d nailed it. And, despite their fears, no one walked out when the dog died.

Stahelski attributes the breakthrough to Reeves, always John Wick’s patron saint. “Keanu looked right at us and said, ‘You guys wanted to make a hard-core action movie, right? You wanted to do something genre, outside the box, right? So what’s wrong?’ Good advice. So we went back and adjusted our attitude to being unapologetic, and we just went, ‘John Wick kills 80 guys because of a puppy. Fuck you, we’re done.’ And anything that didn’t have to do with that drive or that character beat, we took out of the movie.”

“I’m still a little unclear about what everybody latched on to, other than we give all the credit to Keanu: They must really love Keanu Reeves,” Stahelski says. And Iwanyk takes it one step further: “That’s Hollywood isn’t it? The irony is that all these acquisitions people saw it, and they all passed. These are the same executives now who are desperately trying to do another John Wick. I don’t get it.”

Interestingly enough, Stahelski was apparently very anxious about directing the sequel by himself.

Chad Stahelski Talks John Wick: Chapter 2 and TV Spinoff
http://www.traileraddict.com/article/chad-stahelski-talks-john-wick-chapter-2-tv-spinoff/
"Yeah. I mean, it's odd coming from a former stunt man but yeah, I was scared s***less," he admitted. "Of course. It's the curse of the sequel. You do something original, so by definition, how do you do something original again when you've already done it? And it's also, Keanu is a good friend so you don't want to screw up his career. You don't want to go in for a cash grab and go, 'Yeah! Let's just go shoot more people! It'll be fine.' We stalled and stalled. The studio came back right off the bat and goes, 'Look, this is good. People like it. We should do another one.' And we were like, 'We would love to do another one! But only if we can come up with something.' We all looked at each other and said well, 'How hard can it be?' We started in January and it wasn't until June of being constantly asked, 'So do you have something?' It took months to figure out, let's just stop thinking about the plot and let's go with the character. Let's just show people what they want to see in the world."

I just realized this lol.

The only guy to survive without injury was the mob boss at the beginning and only cause John wanted to make peace about his carnapping and gave him the choice to die or not. Then John himself faced that decision at the end of the movie when he killed the douche in the Continental with the boss even warning him.

@dirtylarry, you can't like them all and at least you watched it. Its too bad but maybe a rewatch can change your mind or maybe
the sequel lol.

Ernest

Banned
I liked it. A lot. And while I like the action in this 2nd one better than the first, I liked the first movie just a bit better. Besides having better, more interesting characters (the big bads in this one did nothing for me), I liked the smaller contained "world" of the first movie much more than the big sprawling, worldwide network revealed in the 2nd movie.

It was kinda cooler that there was just that one Continental, and maybe a handful of assassins here and there. Having this huge worldwide organization, along with seemingly every person in NY being an assassin made the world somewhat less special and a little more silly than it needed to be.

I liked it. A lot. And while I like the action in this 2nd one better than the first, I liked the first movie just a bit better. Besides having better, more interesting characters (the big bads in this one did nothing for me), I liked the smaller contained "world" of the first movie much more than the big sprawling, worldwide network revealed in the 2nd movie.

It was kinda cooler that there was just that one Continental, and maybe a handful of assassins here and there. Having this huge worldwide organization, along with seemingly every person in NY being an assassin made the world somewhat less special and a little more silly than it needed to be.
You aren't gonna like John Wick Chapter 7: Assassins In Space

Armaros

My Favorite part was
when the final scene with Winston when he signaled and the entire park turn and froze, showing his reach and how fuck John was if Winston wanted to kill him right then and there ala Perkins.

OldMan

Banned
Ruby Rose's scenes weren't forced at all and managed to shout out to the sign language community. She only benefits from these roles and I wish her well in future endeavors.
And since this is a Gaming Forum first and foremost...
Perfect Dark lead role anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom