• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Jones out of UFC 200 - Possible violation of anti doping policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
QEADSY8.jpg

So some people on reddit are saying those bumps on his stomach are a common side-effect of insulin injections, insulin being used as a PED.

This isn't a "looking at things after the fact" kinda stuff either, there was a discussion on it a few months ago. Plus links to Jon's T:E ratios being 0.19:1 ("normal being 1:1, interestingly DC had 0.4:1) from last year.

So the PED stuff has been circling for a while.

Man this sucks.

There are two more title fights.

Yeah the card is still worth getting. I'm not gonna not buy it over this or anything, its just sucks some major life out of it not getting this fight.

Still the overall card is dope so I'm still in. But this is such a big fight to lose

So some people on reddit are saying those bumps on his stomach are a common side-effect of insulin injections, insulin being used as a PED.

This isn't a "looking at things after the fact" kinda stuff either, there was a discussion on it a few months ago. Plus links to Jon's T:E ratios being 0.19:1 ("normal being 1:1, interestingly DC had 0.4:1) from last year.

So the PED stuff has been circling for a while.

Man this sucks.

Jones is for sure a PED user, its been pretty clear for the last 2 or so years

ron_bato

So the main event for UFC 200, the biggest card in the company's history is gonna be a 3 round fight?

Oh Dana please.

It's going to be headlined by the guy who gave them their largest PPV buys in history. It's not ideal, but it is what it is at this point.

I don't think we want to see Nunes-Tate as the headliner, I'd prefer Edgar-Aldo, but neither are big enough draws to get the main event status for a card of this magnitude.

M_A_C

Jon Jones is such a piece of shit. Glad he's not allowed to cheat in this huge event.

Sucks bigtime for Daniel Cormier

If Jones is out for 2 years its heartbreaking for DC, he will likely retire by the time Jones is back.

Whether you thought he would win or not DC has been hugely outspoken on wanting that rematch. The man is a true competitor and wanted to prove to himself and the public he could beat him.

Man.....that is some tough shit to deal with.

I remember shilling this guy hard when he was fresh. He was a fucking tank, man.

Now though? He's washed up. What a shitty way to end what would have been an amazing legacy...

Oh, and there's no way I'm buying the fight just for a Lesnar match. He's entertaining to watch, but I'll catch the fight's highlights online.

ron_bato

Is Brock the only draw for this thing? Lol

In terms of PPV buys, yup. All the other champs in the card are not proven draws. Tate gets mainstream attention because she's pretty good looking, but that hasn't translated into PPV buys.

Aldo and Edgar are former champions but that hasn't translated to PPV success. Even Cain, who was supposed to be the guy to break the UFC into Mexico isn't a major draw.

Hell, DC and Jones are not considered draws by themselves, but when matched up with the right dance partner, they do pretty well.

In the UFC right now, the only real big draws are Conor and Ronda.

KingBroly

Banned
If Jones is out for 2 years its heartbreaking for DC, he will likely retire by the time Jones is back.

Whether you thought he would win or not DC has been hugely outspoken on wanting that rematch. The man is a true competitor and wanted to prove to himself and the public he could beat him.

Man.....that is some tough shit to deal with.

If he broke his probation, it's going to be a lot more than 2 years.

If it is a PED, and it's confirmed, it's going to be really interesting over what it is, when he took it and why.

Cromwell

Banned
What kind of motherfuckers does Jon have on his team? Did they not realize they had to keep him in line? Dude can't be left to himself.

MjFrancis

This news, man, I'm laughing my ass off.

It wasn't the fight I was looking forward to, but I'm curious how the UFC is going to salvage UFC 200 now. This card has been a clusterfuck for a good while now, the news around it may potentially be as interesting than the card itself.

Throw Cormier anything.

He doesn't deserve to lose because another person is a complete piece of shit.

Yeah I truly hope they can find him something. The buy rate won't be what it was going to be but it will still be big just for being UFC 200. They need to find him something so he can get some PPV points, even if its not for the title. DC said he was willing to fight as heavy as 225lb to stay on the card

What kind of motherfuckers does Jon have on his team? Did they not realize they had to keep him in line? Dude can't be left to himself.

His manager is a complete slimeball. Guy also represents Yoel Romero, who got off of a PED suspension because they argued he had "tainted supplements". Said he wasn't juicing. This guy. At 39 years old.

image_crop.php

ron_bato

It wasn't the fight I was looking forward to, but I'm curious how the UFC is going to salvage UFC 200 now. This card has been a clusterfuck for a good while now, the news around it may potentially be as interesting than the card itself.

It doesn't need salvaging. If there was one card that could withstand a blow like this, it would be this card.

That said, it's going to take a hit, but this card is fine with the amount of great fights it has.

Ya, it's funny, out of the main fights it was probably the least interesting to me, but apparently now a lot of people aren't going to watch.

Tryxx

expect a fight change there will be one trust me. There is no way the biggest event for them will have this big of a hit to numbers. Idk who but they are gonna definitely make some changes overnight.

Cromwell

Banned

PPV draws are a weird thing. As an MMA fan I'm still hype for the card since most of the fights should be damn good, though I was looking forward to DC vs. JJ more than anything.

Brock could be done in 30 seconds but he's a superstar so of course that match gets more attention than anything. Hoping that fight is actually awesome but it could suck total ass.

Ya, it's funny, out of the main fights it was probably the least interesting to me, but apparently now a lot of people aren't going to watch.

DC vs Jones 1 by itself was a pretty big buy rate. About 800,000 PPV's. Not bad at all. So its certainly a big blow to the card.

That said yeah, there is still plenty of good stuff on here. It will do about 1 million imo. Still it certainly lost some steam losing this fight. It was a massive rematch and a unification of the title

It doesn't need salvaging. If there was one card that could withstand a blow like this, it would be this card.

That said, it's going to take a hit, but this card is fine with the amount of great fights it has.

"Great fights" mean very little to the casual audience. 198 had a bunch of awesome match-ups and drew less than 300,000 buys. I think this card will be fine because it's 200, but nobody on this card aside from Lesnar is a draw historically.

Maybe the hit to the PPV won't be that big (it will though), but you're crazy if you think this won't have a huge effect on ticket prices and the final gate.

Tryxx

10$ they push Conor Diaz main event. It has to be done they are both not needing to cut weight and ha e been in training since this was their card anyway. Also Conor is a big enough name to get huge numbers on this amount of time.

ron_bato

"Great fights" mean very little to the casual audience. 198 had a bunch of awesome match-ups and drew less than 300,000 buys. I think this card will be fine because it's 200, but nobody on this card aside from Lesnar is a draw historically.

Surprise, surprise, a UFC card headlined by Werdum and Miocic performed poorly? I am shocked. UFC 198 played out well, but on paper that card isn't even that impressive. The casual audience doesn't give a fuck about vitor vs jacare, or a worn out shogun against corey anderson. Nobody cares about Demian Maia, and I don't care if it was Cyborg's debut, but nobody knew who leslie smith was.

Brock Lesnar is still Brock Lesnar. He has shown he can be a draw against a can of potatoes. It may never reach UFC 100 level due to this, but this combined with the amount of fights and former champions will still make this card relatively successful.

Maybe the hit to the PPV won't be that big (it will though), but you're crazy if you think this won't have a huge effect on ticket prices and the final gate.

I didn't say it won't take a hit because I clearly did say that "it will take a hit."

My point of contention was that it doesn't need 'salvaging.' Cards like UFC 151 when Hendo dropped off, needed salvaging, cards like the one Anderson Silva saved in Brazil needed salvaging. This doesn't need salvaging.

FUME5

Jones is young enough that this isn't necessarily the end of his career.

Be a lot harder to build the redemption storyline next time around though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom