• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt about voting for lesser of two evils (AMA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Of all the years to argue that "both parties are the same" and "the choice doesn't matter" this is not that year.

Many Republicans in office are openly critical of Trump. I can't recall a previous leader having such open dissent within their own party.

That says something.

Blader

Maybe JGL is right, that alternative candidates are best voted for outside of the Presidency but that doesn't justify coercing me into voting against my conscience and supporting a candidate who does not represent my values at all.

It's not that alternative candidates are best voted for outside of the presidency, but that the presidential election -- especially this one, less than two months away -- is too late to meaningfully vote for a third-party candidate. Gary Johnson and Jill Stein have no chance of becoming president this year, and every single one of their voters knows it.

If you want to see a truly viable third-party candidate for president, you have to start from the ground up, which means electing libertarians, independents, et al. to local elections and state elections for years and years between presidential cycles. Build up your third party through the ranks, until they become big enough to actually be viable for a run at the White House.

Future

I'm definitely voting for neither of those two fucks.

Gary Johnson FTW.

I really do hope people look up Gary Johnson and that he gets enough of the poll vote to be in the debate.

Literally what the op quote is talking about. A Gary vote is a wasted vote. A statement that won't be heard. Only do that if you literally don't care about anything

And it's ok to not care about anything. But it's silly when people pretend to care about what's going on and then exclaim with pride that they are making a vote that won't make a shred of difference in the world

There like a 95% chance I vote for Clinton come November, however I have no interest in casting a vote in my district's house race; both candidates are garbage and I'd rather have the republican for two years so we can get a much better candidate running in two years.

It's hard to get incumbents voted out, especially in house races.

Curufinwe

While I'm all for voting and made an impassioned appeal a few posts up, there's ample evidence that making it a national holiday doesn't increase voter turnout and may actually decrease voter turnout. I also absolutely don't think it should be made mandatory, both from a logistical point of view, and that it violates our most basic civil rights as Americans.

That said, if I could implement two new holidays it would be the first Tuesday in November and the Monday after the Super Bowl.

It's amazing to me how Americans just accept that they get no legally mandated annual leave and so few guaranteed public holidays. It's like a third world country in that regard.

Zoe

I don't think voting should be mandatory (if you don't want to vote knock yourself out, it's your right) but it not being a national holiday is the biggest fucking joke

The people who can't afford to take off the time that's already given them to go vote are the same people who would still be working on a national holiday. You would also lose essential public services that would get people to the polling stations.

You're only making your voice irrelevant by not voting.

I voted for Ron Paul in 2008, and Gary Johnson in 2012. Neither won, but my vote was not irrelevant. It showed that there are people listening to these other options that are there. That there is a desire for other candidate options.

When you speak, your voice is never irrelevant.
Voting third party is just as irrelevant as not voting.

Curufinwe

Of all the years to argue that "both parties are the same" and "the choice doesn't matter" this is not that year.

Many Republicans in office are openly critical of Trump. I can't recall a previous leader having such open dissent within their own party.

That says something.

It says there are Republicans who don't want Trump destroying the economy with protectionism and massive spending increases, or having a mentally unstable person getting control over nuclear weapons.

I'm Australian and know tons of people who don't vote.

This recent on a ballot I wrote a poem using all the names on it while also voting Liberal. Some people are unoriginal and draw dicks though without filling out the form.

I became happier when I realized you don't have a choice when it comes to presidential elections. Voting third party may make you feel good, but it is throwing a vote away.

It helps I also live in Texas, where me voting for any democrat might as well be throwing a vote away.

I became happier when I realized you don't have a choice when it comes to presidential elections. Voting third party may make you feel good, but it is throwing a vote away.

It helps I also live in Texas, where me voting for any democrat might as well be throwing a vote away.
But at least you try!

Blader

Texas is a purple state in the making. Your Democrat vote will, perhaps sooner than later, not be irrelevant.

I really hope everyone voting Libertarian or Green party has done their due diligence on those candidates too, and isn't just going 'oh they aren't Trump or Clinton'.

Cause sure as shit the people on my facebook haven't done that.

On of the most vocal Stein supporters today was saying 'Vote for Stein not Killary, her running mate is female too!'

Like... wait... you don't even know who her running mate is and you expect me to believe that you've taken more than a cursory look at the green party ticket?

Whatever your feelings on Clinton as a person (oh she's a liar, oh she's corrupt), there is no way that she isn't clearly the lesser evil here.

And if you're not going to essentially do a protest vote instead, you don't get to bitch when either Trump or Clinton gets elected in my mind, because you didn't do anything to stop either.

lawnchair

Banned
I really hope everyone voting Libertarian or Green party has done their due diligence on those candidates too, and isn't just going 'oh they aren't Trump or Clinton'.

Cause sure as shit the people on my facebook haven't done that.

On of the most vocal Stein supporters today was saying 'Vote for Stein not Killary, her running mate is female too!'

Like... wait... you don't even know who her running mate is and you expect me to believe that you've taken more than a cursory look at the green party ticket?

Whatever your feelings on Clinton as a person (oh she's a liar, oh she's corrupt), there is no way that she isn't clearly the lesser evil here.

And if you're not going to essentially do a protest vote instead, you don't get to bitch when either Trump or Clinton gets elected in my mind, because you didn't do anything to stop either.

i would assume that most people voting third party don't actually believe their chosen candidate has any chance at becoming president, which makes deep familiarity with any 3rd party candidates platform kind of unnecessary. most people who do it think of it as a protest vote against the two major candidates in any given election.

I dont like how both candidates are teh saaaame driveby posters disappear never to make a real, decisive case for sitting it out.

Airola

You're only making your voice irrelevant by not voting.

I voted for Ron Paul in 2008, and Gary Johnson in 2012. Neither won, but my vote was not irrelevant. It showed that there are people listening to these other options that are there. That there is a desire for other candidate options.

When you speak, your voice is never irrelevant.

Yes! This!

Which would be better? All of the third party votes changing into votes for the two major parties, or ALL of the compromised votes for the major parties changing into votes for third parties? I bet the election would be way different if each and every person who don't like Trump or Clinton would vote for someone else. But now as people keep on worshipping this strategic vote system we can never witness that to happen.

Now, some would argue that "yeah, but THIS time it's DIFFERENT - this time you just HAVE to compromise", but that's bullshit. People say that in every election and every election just keeps on being anti-democracy bullshit and nothing ever changes. Every election you have people using blame and shame tactics to try to turn you into a strategic voter. Don't ever fall into that.

If you don't vote against trump then you let him in.

If you vote for Clinton or Trump you are letting one of them in. If you are advocating that people should vote for "the lesser of two evils" you are advocating for evil nevertheless. This mentality keeps this garbage of a system running till the end of time. Year after year, the people who could've made a difference will continue pressing democracy down by falling into this strategy deception.

Good quote, I totally agree with him.

I certainly understand why people are frustrating by not getting the option to vote entirely in their self-interest and I have my own embarrassing stories from my freshman year of college about political views, but I don't actually take it as a legitimate criticism of the electoral process.

Nearly every single "other" demographic has always been forced to vote for the lesser of two evils - the one least likely to work against their self-interest, rather than an imaginary candidate that actually represents them and promotes their self-interest. In doing so, they have been forced to make compromises, sometimes severe ones, to their political ideals and identity. To be direct, I don't find an astounding amount of sympathy for white straight college-educated males who find themselves suddenly in the position most others have always been in.

I'd love to meet this imaginary candidate people have in mind who will come in on a horse and be the unequivocal best choice for a wide range of demographics and special interests such that no one is ever forced to make a political compromise with their vote. I've never met this candidate, and I doubt I ever will.

Pretty much why I simply roll my eyes laugh at the "my conscience won't let me! My beliefs! My convictions! They dun represent me 100%!!" people who say they're not voting.

Yes! This!

Which would be better? All of the third party votes changing into votes for the two major parties, or ALL of the compromised votes for the major parties changing into votes for third parties? I bet the election would be way different if each and every person who don't like Trump or Clinton would vote for someone else. But now as people keep on worshipping this strategic vote system we can never witness that to happen.

Now, some would argue that "yeah, but THIS time it's DIFFERENT - this time you just HAVE to compromise", but that's bullshit. People say that in every election and every election just keeps on being anti-democracy bullshit and nothing ever changes. Every election you have people using blame and shame tactics to try to turn you into a strategic voter. Don't ever fall into that.

If you vote for Clinton or Trump you are letting one of them in. If you are advocating that people should vote for "the lesser of two evils" you are advocating for evil nevertheless. This mentality keeps this garbage of a system running till the end of time. Year after year, the people who could've made a difference will continue pressing democracy down by falling into this strategy deception.
So what's your solution? Surely if sitting out the vote as protest worked the golden candidate on a unicorn would've already revealed themselves by now?

If you are arguing that Hillary is the "lesser evil" you are delusional that she is evil at all when you've got a candidate who kept Mein Kampf at his bedside.

But no, keep up the bullshit that "both sides are the same" or "the answer is in the middle". Just watch as 2 to 3 SCOTUS justices are replaced by ultraconservatives and the social progress and economic recovery made in the last 8 years is undone.

It's pretty goddamn stupid. Even if you find the candidates for president to be lackluster, you won't vote for senators? Your congressmen? Your state and local representatives, who have an outsized amount of impact on your day to day life? It's just dumb.

*nods in agreement*

Even more edgy, lending my vote to candidates I don't trust nor care about just because I should always vote.

Explain to me what I get out of voting in an election like this?

I am probably JGL's age and also voted for Nader in 2000 (caveat: it was NY and I would have voted for Gore in a swing state). My thinking was the same as JGL's and probably the same as yours now.

I was close to the 9/11 attacks but was not involved or injured nor was anyone I know hurt or killed. I never served in the military and don't even personally know a veteran among my close friends. I kept my job through the entirety of the Bush years. In short, the 2000 election arguably had no material effect on me.

My vote in 2000 is still one of my biggest embarrassments and shames and I wish every day that Gore had been elected President.

Tldr: Who gives a fuck what you get out of it. That's how an asshole decides to vote. What happens to other people still matters.

Zach

It's pretty goddamn stupid. Even if you find the candidates for president to be lackluster, you won't vote for senators? Your congressmen? Your state and local representatives, who have an outsized amount of impact on your day to day life? It's just dumb.

^

Always vote, people. On everything.

I agree with him. In the Australian election when Tony Abbott got in. A global warming denying, gay and immigrant hating, coal loving leader who right-wing Americans would post about on their facebooks saying "Why can't WE get a great president like this?!". He was abysmal and kicked out by his own party. Both candidates sucked but sometimes you have to pick the lesser and fight another day.

Change comes over time and on a society level. By constantly pushing for it, for more to accept it, and to teach people so they're more educated on what needs fixing. By demanding new laws be put in to stop corruption and stop money flowing in. It doesn't come over night and you won't redefine and entire electoral system in one election. Even if someone like a third party or Bernie got in do you really think they'd fix it all? It would be minimal in the ways people think but just not going backwards.

Airola

So what's your solution? Surely if sitting out the vote as protest worked the golden candidate on a unicorn would've already revealed themselves by now?

No, I don't tell anyone to sit out the vote.

I'm telling everyone to not let this strategy bullshit make people sell their votes for people they don't like. The illusion of "two major parties" will stay alive as long as people continue selling their votes for them. Year after year people can say how many people are voting for those two parties, but that's only because there are too many people who only vote for the other because they don't like the other.

This year there are so many people voting for Trump because they don't like Clinton, and people voting for Clinton because they don't like Trump. Imagine ALL of those votes going somewhere else. ALL of them.

Both parties are using this gullibility to their advance.

The "Alternative Vote" system would be great.

This is not a protest. This is just trying to make democracy a democracy.

Tldr: Who gives a fuck what you get out of it. That's how an asshole decides to vote. What happens to other people still matters.

This

There are rights and civil liberties of many americans on the line this election. Even if you as a white man won't deal with much adversity during a Trump presidency, they will.

Pedrito

I've never had the chance to vote for a candidate who perfectly "represents my values" and probably never will in my life. It doesn't work like that. It's exactly about compromise.
If you honestly think Gary Johnson is the best candidate to improve the life of Americans, vote for him. If you don't think so but vote for him to stick it to the "establishment", you're wasting your time. No one cares about your "anti-establishment-vote". The Democratic Party won't think "Oh, Johnson got 15%, I guess we should change our stances to match his". So make sure you really evaluate the possible consequences of that vote.

I dont like how both candidates are teh saaaame driveby posters disappear never to make a real, decisive case for sitting it out.
They haven't thought it through so when they catch flack, it's the first time they've had to check if they can solidly back up their position rather than just throwing their opinion out there like a protest post.

dramatis

I'm telling everyone to not let this strategy bullshit make people sell their votes for people they don't like. The illusion of "two major parties" will stay alive as long as people continue selling their votes for them. Year after year people can say how many people are voting for those two parties, but that's only because there are too many people who only vote for the other because they don't like the other.

This year there are so many people voting for Trump because they don't like Clinton, and people voting for Clinton because they don't like Trump. Imagine ALL of those votes going somewhere else. ALL of them.

The problem with this thinking is that "two major parties" isn't an illusion, it's the reality. When you vote for one or the other, you aren't "selling" your vote, you have chosen one or the other. Two very obviously different choices is a decision, it is democracy regardless of whether you think it is or isn't.

What you should be irritated about is the inability of third parties to effectively organize and build enough support to impact national elections. And don't be lazy and complain that all the big interests prevent them from being able to; previous third parties have clambered on about big interests throughout US history and they built organizations that claimed electoral votes. But they didn't do this during presidential elections nor did they do it in just one year or four years.

1) What is your opinion on Antonin Scalia?

2) Do you think ISIS benefits with Trump or Clinton?

1) He's dead and the damage is already done.

2) ISIS benefits irregardless of candidate, but sure, Trump's hate and fear-mongering will benefit them more in some intangible way.

Oh, and I don't drive-by post. I actually have to work every now and then.

What about local elections? Even if you don't want to vote for the president, local elected officials can make a noticeable difference

I stated earlier that I'd likely vote in the local elections as that is something of value to me. I'll amend my 1st post to reflect that.

Iksenpets

Banned
Yes! This!

If everyone voted for a candidate closest to them, we'd end up with 10 candidates and the "winner" getting in with like 20 percent of the vote. In a proportional or ranked voting system this would work ok, but in our current system it would be a disaster. Fight for the constitutional amendments necessary to get a better electoral system if that's what you want (and good luck getting it) but until then voting third-party just means increasing odds of a candidate winning with a minority share of the vote, and increasing odds that that candidate will be the one furthest from the party you actually support.

Right now the truth is you have two minor, protest parties that believe batshit insane things (Libertarians and Greens), one major party that believes batshit insane things (Republicans), and one major party that is seriously compromised and corrupted by the realities of our current politics, but is at least ultimately sensible (Democrats).

This relies on the assumption that all of them could agree on someone else. They couldn't. They're a diverse group of people with radically different interests, and the nature of represenatative government is that diverse groups of people have to rally behind compromise candidates. There's also this delusion that the typical reluctant Hillary supporter (or reluctant Trump supporter) would be so much happier if they'd just look into Stein or Johnson or whomever, when really most of those people have looked into those options and rejected them as worse than than the candidate they're reluctantly supporting, because in the view of most of those people Johnson and Stein believe crazy things.

Leatherface

he brings up a good point. There is no way I can ignore this election. Even though I don't want either candidate for president I have to side with Hillary. It hurts my soul a little but I will do it. :'(

They haven't thought it through so when they catch flack, it's the first time they've had to check if they can solidly back up their position rather than just throwing their opinion out there like a protest post.

You can blame culture; the media and the education system for framing the president has the one who makes all the decisions. With all the gridlock that has happened in congress, the importance of state legislatures have become incredible important, and the vast vast amount of the population have no idea that they have a big shot of impacting ground breaking laws in their state. you state legislatures who get to pass sweeping important bills who get into office running with little resistance and under the nose of everybody because people are not tuned in.
But this is the most perverted warped sense of democracy, because it is in your community where you are able to influence things. as a person your reach and influence and ability to empower is much greater. But so many people are under a spell that only the president matters.

People who say they won't choose between the lesser of two evils - they do that every day in all circumstances of their lives. rarely do you get the thing you want in anything, but have to choose between two lesser options.
But there is no doubt that what it means- what lesser of two evils actually means is that they want to coalition parties. because then your vote will matter even if you vote for the jedi party or the party of the christian fundamentalists or the jihadists or whatever. But for reasons we have discussed neither the democrats or the republicans overall seem particularly intent on wanting to usurp that two party structure.
This election more than anything has proven through Bernie and Trump that there really needs to be made changes.

America has an incredible history with third parties. Third parties in America have championed many of the most important ideas in America history which eventually were picked up by the two big parties. And its due to the fact that important voices are often the unspoken who are not represented by the establishment. Third parties have influenced a lot throughout American history even though they've not been the ones carrying those opinions through the dirt from their humbling beginnings.
This is not unique to American politics or even politics in general. You see it in business and almost all areas of capitalism. Established institutions with resources soak up the ideas even though they did not have the original desire for it. Parties change to reflect the moving tides of society. In that sense, not having third parties properly represented is very un-American and I think the "fuck the system" mentality reflects that.

This is a dumb as fuck idea and is the definition of a protest vote. Who is this magical 3rd candidate that both people on opposite sides of the aisle are going to feel great about anyway? I have a much better idea: people who value their "sensibilities" over the lives of other people develop a thing called empathy and quit being so selfish. I never liked Bernie but would have had no problem voting for him for this reason.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I find the entire argument annoying because the unqualified racist guy who has no actual concrete policy aims isn't comparable to a competent, qualified candidate with well-defined policy aims who kinda rubs you the wrong way.

HAWDOKEN

I've made this appeal many times and I don't think I have the stamina to make it in full, but there are so many more things on the ballot than just Hillary and Trump. The presidential election might be the vote that has people talking the most on videogame forums, but it's the least consequential choice that you have on election day.

On election day, most people will have over a dozen things to vote for, from your local city council or local government elections, to state elections, and -- importantly -- ballot questions. Ballot questions represent your direct voice and are a directive to your local and state government that they have to follow the will of the people. This year important questions on ballots across the US are about the future of schools in your state, benefits for unemployed people, how much money you keep in your paycheck (or how much you pay to services), paternity and maternity leave, the legalization of marijuana, and hundreds of other important topics. Many of these ballot initiatives pass by only a few thousand, few hundred, or even few dozen votes.

There is an inverse relationship between the amount of attention a particular vote gets and the importance it has on your life. THe presidential election is very distant from your life, and by and large your life will be unchanged by who wins the presidential election. But as you go down the ticket, your day to day life becomes exponentially more affected. Your governor is going to pass laws that have a significant impact on your day to day life. Your local politicians are going to seek funding for projects that directly affect your life every day and the lives of the people who are important to you.

Finally, and I'm half-assing this appeal, is that even if the only election that you really care about is the presidential election, and if you feel that there are not candidates that represent you, if you don't vote then there will never be candidates who represent you. Many people on this forum felt that Bernie Sanders represented their values in this election, and that Sanders pushed the conversation into an area that was more closely aligned with their political values. Well, Bernie's first election as mayor of Burlington Vermont was decided by less than 20 votes. If those 20 people had decided to stay home that day, maybe it was raining, maybe they were late for work, maybe they just didn't feel like they had a say in politics and that there guy was going to lose, but if 20 of those people stayed home that day and Sanders had not been elected mayor (which he was a dark horse, outside chance candidate), then Sanders likely wouldn't have run again. He would have never become a state congressman, he would have never joined the House, he would have never become Senator Sanders, and he would have never challenged Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination. He would have never had his name on any consequential law, and he would have only been known as a local agitator in a small American city. On your ballots in your city is a candidate who could become your next "Bernie Sanders," but if you don't go out and vote for that person in 2016, then they're never going to ascend to a nationwide race in 2028, and there will be another person sharing some feeling in 2032 that the presidential candidates just don't represent them.

So, please, go vote.

Good post bruh.

TheRockApplauds.gif...

New002

I'm not going to say both are the same, because I don't agree, but I will say that I'm not enthused about either candidate. I will be voting for Hillary because Donald Trump being president is beyond ridiculous (for many reasons), and I need to do what I can come voting day to hopefully make that not a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom