• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt about voting for lesser of two evils (AMA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumble

I've chosen not to vote at all, although I still am considering casting a ballot for my local offices. My voice is irrelevant in this quagmire of bullshit that is the presidential election.

Everyone happy?

No one is happy. First off not voting is the same thing as saying that the two candidates are exactly equal and assigning a half vote to each. I have never seen an election where that is true and especially not this one.

Secondly, expressing your democratic responsibility as the ultimate governor of the country, a privilege people regularly die for, is something to be taken seriously.

lenovox1

Obama is pretty young. I wouldn't have minded him chilling for eight years of Kerry who came in after eight years of Gore in my brightest timeline.

It could have likely gone Clinton->Gore->Clinton->Probably another Republican after 20 years of the Clintons.

Just gonna leave this here, said by a guy smarter than anyone here.

19aebcd860e05dc3948f5b9a387e7e1d.jpg

Wait, people actually take stand up comedy routines at face value?

Uhhhh...

Iksenpets

Banned
It could have likely gone Clinton->Gore->Clinton->Probably another Republican after 20 years of the Clintons.

Nah, Gore would've won reelect in 2004 based on still riding high from the unifying effect of 9/11 and not having the Iraq War dragging him down, but then Republicans would probably have taken a big win in 2008 because the housing collapse and Great Recession still would have happened. I don't think anything in Gore's policy plans would have prevented that.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I mean that's funny in a comedy routine but as actual philosophy is total horseshit.

Fair enough. I think "I'm gonna vote alternatively to stick it to the man" is embarrassing. Same with "I'm voting against this guy, not for that guy."

The whole "you must vote" is insipid anyway - it's not teaching people to have informed opinions, it's encouraging them that what they vote for doesn't matter so long as they vote for something,

By all means, vote for someone or a cause if you have an informed opinion. But a vote that's a reactionary response? That helps no one.

Iorv3th

Easy to say with hindsight you would have voted for the other guy. We don't know what a gore presidency would have been like. He may have still went to war. He may have done something worse. Nobody knows because it didn't happen.

But we can look back and say "yeah that guy that did get in was bad and I should have voted for the other one".

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I've chosen not to vote at all, although I still am considering casting a ballot for my local offices. My voice is irrelevant in this quagmire of bullshit that is the presidential election.

Everyone happy?

Those elections matter way more than presidential ones IMO. They define what the candidates feel they can represent and are usually decided by older and more conservative voters.

Wilsongt

Always fucking vote, even if you're just going to do down ballot. Local and state candidates can fuck you worse than the president and national congress can.

Examples: Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, and Kansas.

The Boat

There are people who take Fight Club at face value as well. It's not surprising, but it's a bit unnerving.
It's easier and more comfortable to spout out something someone already said than thinking for yourself. It's also more comfy to stay at home and not vote. Then you can go on message boards and complain a bag of Cheetos with a dead cat on top is the leader of the free world, just because the alternative- someone who has plenty of flaws, but also plenty of experience and history of fighting for
civil rights- wasn't perfect.

Everyone happy?

Nice to see that you don't give a flying fuck about trying to stop a white nationalist authoritarian from taking the presidency.

At least you have your moral superiority. Thats what truly matters

styl3s

this is why voting should be:

a] mandatory; a fine applied to your tax return if you neglect to vote,

b] a national holiday on the day of big elections

it's also so one can seem "above it all" while simultaneously excusing themselves from having to do anything whatsoever
This is a good way to have a large majority of your youth to write fuck you on your ballot tickets.

You can't force people to vote for someone they don't want to vote so so instead of me dragging my ass to the nearest stand to not vote for anyone i will stay at home. I remember not to long ago i suggest voting third party instead of not voting at all and people lost their shit saying i might as well vote for Trump. The fuck do you people want from me? It's my choice i choose to not vote if you aren't happy with it then i don't know.. suck on a lemon? deal with it?

Iksenpets

Banned
Easy to say with hindsight you would have voted for the other guy. We don't know what a gore presidency would have been like. He may have still went to war. He may have done something worse. Nobody knows because it didn't happen.

But we can look back and say "yeah that guy that did get in was bad and I should have voted for the other one".

Bush's two major faults were initiating a war based largely on the delusions of himself and of his closest advisors, and launching unpaid-for tax cuts that the federal budget actually couldn't bear. Pretty much no other administration would have done the first one, and no Democratic administration would've done the second. The Great Recession still would have happened regardless, and maybe Gore would've introduced mistakes of his own, but the Iraq War was a fuck up of seriously world-historical magnitude, so I struggle to see him out blundering that. I don't really have an issue with saying that Gore would have been definitively better, just like I don't really have any issue saying that no matter what bad things she may eventually do, Hillary will be better than Trump.

Eiolon

The war was legal; congress authorized it. And I am pretty sure the Great Depression was a billion times worse than our two year recession. But what do I know, I wasn't alive back then. But my 98 year old grandma was, and she says we got off easy. If anyone thinks one individual can cause all these problems they need to think again. That's why we have checks and balances. If one person was causing all this, it could have been stopped.

I am voting third party this year.

Don't feel the need to expand on it, OT doesn't have the atomsphere to discuss this kind of things.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly feel like we say that every week.

Maybe it's just me hoping. I dunno.

EDIT: Uhm, nevermind. I still don't get why people say Clinton represents the "worst of the Democratic party". Would love an explanation.

Airola

The problem with this thinking is that "two major parties" isn't an illusion, it's the reality. When you vote for one or the other, you aren't "selling" your vote, you have chosen one or the other. Two very obviously different choices is a decision, it is democracy regardless of whether you think it is or isn't.

What you should be irritated about is the inability of third parties to effectively organize and build enough support to impact national elections. And don't be lazy and complain that all the big interests prevent them from being able to; previous third parties have clambered on about big interests throughout US history and they built organizations that claimed electoral votes. But they didn't do this during presidential elections nor did they do it in just one year or four years.

I mean that the illusion is that there are two major parties and you have to vote for one of them. Of course two parties getting the most votes is always a reality.

If everyone voted for a candidate closest to them, we'd end up with 10 candidates and the "winner" getting in with like 20 percent of the vote. In a proportional or ranked voting system this would work ok, but in our current system it would be a disaster. Fight for the constitutional amendments necessary to get a better electoral system if that's what you want (and good luck getting it) but until then voting third-party just means increasing odds of a candidate winning with a minority share of the vote, and increasing odds that that candidate will be the one furthest from the party you actually support.

Increasing the amount of third party votes could be a good sign for those who are able to change the system that something needs to be done. As long as it looks like the big two get the absolute majority of the votes it looks like there is no need to change anything.

This relies on the assumption that all of them could agree on someone else. They couldn't. They're a diverse group of people with radically different interests, and the nature of represenatative government is that diverse groups of people have to rally behind compromise candidates. There's also this delusion that the typical reluctant Hillary supporter (or reluctant Trump supporter) would be so much happier if they'd just look into Stein or Johnson or whomever, when really most of those people have looked into those options and rejected them as worse than than the candidate they're reluctantly supporting, because in the view of most of those people Johnson and Stein believe crazy things.

No, I don't mean this would make someone else rise to the top for certain. But what this would do is it would even out the media exposure for most of them. Now as there are two candidates in a strong unbeatable lead the media focuses on them. And the more media focuses on them, the more they can infiltrate their ideas to the masses. And more people are leaning towards them because they don't know much about the others, or perhaps don't even know they could vote for someone else than those two.

With evened out votes, with evened out polls, the focus would be shared more. If this wouldn't change a thing in this certain election, it would have an effect on future elections.

This is a dumb as fuck idea and is the definition of a protest vote. Who is this magical 3rd candidate that both people on opposite sides of the aisle are going to feel great about anyway? I have a much better idea: people who value their "sensibilities" over the lives of other people develop a thing called empathy and quit being so selfish. I never liked Bernie but would have had no problem voting for him for this reason.

As I replied above, while the might not be a certain "magical" 3rd candidate, there would be more evened out playfield with more shared media focus.

Within the public today there are two sides with hugely strong opinions about things. And the more this is set out to be "this side vs. that side" the more catastrophic this could end up to be. The more it's the battle of two giants, the more passion and fire there will be. This all could be prevented by lessening the value of those giants, which in reality actually already is less than what it appears to be because so many of the voters are voting for those two because they think they don't have any other choice. This strategy system only artificially strengthens their value.

Your post is a good example of trying to blame and shame people into your side. As if this is the way you can study whether a person has any empathy towards anyone. Besides, that post could've been written by a supporter of either side. A Trump supporter could easily think their view is the more sensible and empathetic - they think this is the most important thing for the world just as you think - so just boldly saying it's about selflesness and empathy doesn't mean anything in itself. It's just something you can say to make someone feel bad about theirselves and to try to change their views that way and as such is closer to propaganda than anything else.

The Alternative Vote needs to be a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE

JeTmAn81

Anyone ever wish we had a parliamentary system? They drop their prime ministers all the time in England, Canada, etc. It sucks having the head of state so entrenched for a minimum of four years after election.

If Gore was president we'd probably be sitting in a drastically different world. Would make for an interesting alternative universe sci fi story.

Airola

Yeah, 9/11 would've probably still happened and they definitely would've done something about it. Whether that something is would've been better or worse or just the same is anyone's guess.

But it's not certain things would've been better.

Yeah, 9/11 would've probably still happened and they definitely would've done something about it. Whether that something is would've been better or worse or just the same is anyone's guess.

But it's not certain things would've been better.

Maybe in Afghanistan. I don't think Iraq would have been on the table tho.

Iksenpets

Banned
Increasing the amount of third party votes could be a good sign for those who are able to change the system that something needs to be done. As long as it looks like the big two get the absolute majority of the votes it looks like there is no need to change anything.

No, I don't mean this would make someone else rise to the top for certain. But what this would do is it would even out the media exposure for most of them. Now as there are two candidates in a strong unbeatable lead the media focuses on them. And the more media focuses on them, the more they can infiltrate their ideas to the masses. And more people are leaning towards them because they don't know much about the others, or perhaps don't even know they could vote for someone else than those two.

With evened out votes, with evened out polls, the focus would be shared more. If this wouldn't change a thing in this certain election, it would have an effect on future elections.

As I replied above, while the might not be a certain "magical" 3rd candidate, there would be more evened out playfield with more shared media focus.

Within the public today there are two sides with hugely strong opinions about things. And the more this is set out to be "this side vs. that side" the more catastrophic this could end up to be. The more it's the battle of two giants, the more passion and fire there will be. This all could be prevented by lessening the value of those giants, which in reality actually already is less than what it appears to be because so many of the voters are voting for those two because they think they don't have any other choice. This strategy system only artificially strengthens their value.

Your post is a good example of trying to blame and shame people into your side. As if this is the way you can study whether a person has any empathy towards anyone. Besides, that post could've been written by a supporter of either side. A Trump supporter could easily think their view is the more sensible and empathetic - they think this is the most important thing for the world just as you think - so just boldly saying it's about selflesness and empathy doesn't mean anything in itself. It's just something you can say to make someone feel bad about theirselves and to try to change their views that way and as such is closer to propaganda than anything else.

Ok, so looking at the Nader example from the OP, he made a strong, well-covered-by-the-media third-party run. What happened as a result? What actual moves did American politics make in Nader's direction as a result? None, because all he did was strip votes from the candidate closest to himself, and hand the election to the candidate further from himself who didn't actually have a majority of votes, pushing American politics in the opposite direction he intended to for the next eight years. And was there some big push towards electoral reform as a result? No, because the party in power as a result of the third party run actively benefited from the third party's spoiler effect. Bush wasn't about to say, "Sure is crazy I won because an electoral fluke allowed my opposition to be divided, we should really fix that for next time!" And you're not going to see any change if third parties hand the election to Trump, because the people who would want reform would be completely out of power.

You're right that the alternative vote would be great, but the political incentives make it very hard for us to ever get it, and until we do have it, voting third party is only going to be destructive. Our electoral system as it exists pre-reform can only be effectively managed through a two-party system. That's sub-ideal, but it's not the burning hellscape people make it out to be. The two-party system can be leveraged for actual change, as this year made clear. Sanders ran inside the party system, and even though he lost, he won major concessions. Hillary is now further to the left on healthcare and education than any Democrat in recent memory because Bernie pushed her there. The TPP is on the brink of death because of his run. Bernie got real change working through the party, compared to Nader who tried to do it through a third-party and got less than nothing. (The great irony being that if there ever were a year to use a third-party run to blow up the system, it probably really was 2000, when Bush and Gore really did appear to be very close politically, and Bush'a insane foreign policy views hadn't revealed themselves. This year, on the other hand, is the widest gap between the two parties on policy in living memory. It's not the year to really gamble, but if nothing's convinced you of that yet, I'm sure not going to.)

dramatis

I mean that the illusion is that there are two major parties and you have to vote for one of them. Of course two parties getting the most votes is always a reality.

Those two statements are a contradiction. By definition if two parties getting the most votes is always a reality, then it follows that there are only two major parties.

You can also talk about the Alternative Vote all you want, but you're not putting it into action by voting for a third party, because your vote gives no feedback.

phanphare

Banned
If you are arguing that Hillary is the "lesser evil" you are delusional that she is evil at all when you've got a candidate who kept Mein Kampf at his bedside.

But no, keep up the bullshit that "both sides are the same" or "the answer is in the middle". Just watch as 2 to 3 SCOTUS justices are replaced by ultraconservatives and the social progress and economic recovery made in the last 8 years is undone.

correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't thinking hillary is the lesser of two evils come with accepting that both sides are, in fact, not the same? key word being "lesser" aka quantifiably not the same

also it's just an idiom, chill out lol

Airola

Those two statements are a contradiction. By definition if two parties getting the most votes is always a reality, then it follows that there are only two major parties.

There's a difference between parties becoming two majors by votes from scratch and there being two parties people feel obliged to vote for before the elections and campaigns even begin, especially if they didn't initially want to vote for either of them.

There is a difference between two parties becoming major by taking a non-strategic personal vote from each citizen and two parties becoming major by a strategy game with people blaming and shaming others to change their votes so that one of them won't get elected. The first one's result is pure. The second one's result is perverted.

You can also talk about the Alternative Vote all you want, but you're not putting it into action by voting for a third party, because your vote gives no feedback.

Are you saying you can't see the number of votes each nominee got anywhere?
As long as you can have access to those numbers, any vote gives a feedback.

Iksenpets

Banned
There's a difference between parties becoming two majors by votes from scratch and there being two parties people feel obliged to vote for before the elections and campaigns even begin, especially if they didn't initially want to vote for either of them.

There is a difference between two parties becoming major by taking a non-strategic personal vote from each citizen and two parties becoming major by a strategy game with people blaming and shaming others to change their votes so that one of them won't get elected. The first one's result is pure. The second one's result is perverted.

It's never going to be pure though. The only people who get to cast a 100% pure vote for someone they agree with completely without coercion are the people running for office. Anytime you vote for someone other than yourself you're compromising on something. It's just a matter of degree. And yeah, a two-party system maximizes that degree for most people, but again, until reform, it's all you've got.

Codeblue

Not voting is basically the same as voting Nader. How are some of you missing the point.

I can't stand Clinton's foreign policy. I think her unconditional support of Israel is awful and I think she'll be terrible for the Middle East, where I have a lot of Family. Maybe in that respect, both parties are the same. But damn, at least she believes in science and environmentalism, at least she isn't selling out minority groups for bigots, at least she doesn't want a ban that would prevent my family from coming here, at least she'd appoint a supreme court judge that wouldn't send is back to the stone age.

Even if the parties were 99% the same, wouldn't voting on that 1% difference be worth it?

I've made this appeal many times and I don't think I have the stamina to make it in full, but there are so many more things on the ballot than just Hillary and Trump. The presidential election might be the vote that has people talking the most on videogame forums, but it's the least consequential choice that you have on election day.

On election day, most people will have over a dozen things to vote for, from your local city council or local government elections, to state elections, and -- importantly -- ballot questions. Ballot questions represent your direct voice and are a directive to your local and state government that they have to follow the will of the people. This year important questions on ballots across the US are about the future of schools in your state, benefits for unemployed people, how much money you keep in your paycheck (or how much you pay to services), paternity and maternity leave, the legalization of marijuana, and hundreds of other important topics. Many of these ballot initiatives pass by only a few thousand, few hundred, or even few dozen votes.

There is an inverse relationship between the amount of attention a particular vote gets and the importance it has on your life. THe presidential election is very distant from your life, and by and large your life will be unchanged by who wins the presidential election. But as you go down the ticket, your day to day life becomes exponentially more affected. Your governor is going to pass laws that have a significant impact on your day to day life. Your local politicians are going to seek funding for projects that directly affect your life every day and the lives of the people who are important to you.

Finally, and I'm half-assing this appeal, is that even if the only election that you really care about is the presidential election, and if you feel that there are not candidates that represent you, if you don't vote then there will never be candidates who represent you. Many people on this forum felt that Bernie Sanders represented their values in this election, and that Sanders pushed the conversation into an area that was more closely aligned with their political values. Well, Bernie's first election as mayor of Burlington Vermont was decided by less than 20 votes. If those 20 people had decided to stay home that day, maybe it was raining, maybe they were late for work, maybe they just didn't feel like they had a say in politics and that there guy was going to lose, but if 20 of those people stayed home that day and Sanders had not been elected mayor (which he was a dark horse, outside chance candidate), then Sanders likely wouldn't have run again. He would have never become a state congressman, he would have never joined the House, he would have never become Senator Sanders, and he would have never challenged Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination. He would have never had his name on any consequential law, and he would have only been known as a local agitator in a small American city. On your ballots in your city is a candidate who could become your next "Bernie Sanders," but if you don't go out and vote for that person in 2016, then they're never going to ascend to a nationwide race in 2028, and there will be another person sharing some feeling in 2032 that the presidential candidates just don't represent them.

So, please, go vote.

Well said.

Airola

It's never going to be pure though. The only people who get to cast a 100% pure vote for someone they agree with completely without coercion are the people running for office. Anytime you vote for someone other than yourself you're compromising on something. It's just a matter of degree. And yeah, a two-party system maximizes that degree for most people, but again, until reform, it's all you've got.

Yeah, that's true.

I should've perhaps said "more pure" and "more perverted" instead of just "pure" and "perverted" as it's obvious that just seeing the ad campaigns by themselves make people "biased" to some degree, both for and against.

Wilsongt

I don't understand how somebody could agree with 70-80% of the ideals Clinton mention in her nomination acceptance speech and then not vote for her based on one or two things. If the majority of what she is fighting for is something you believe in, why let those other things make it so that you allow the exact opposite stuff to happen?

Because it's Clinton and there are people who have it firmly in their minds that she is a lying, established crook who only wants war.

lawnchair

Banned
I can't stand Clinton's foreign policy. I think her unconditional support of Israel is awful and I think she'll be terrible for the Middle East, where I have a lot of Family. Maybe in that respect, both parties are the same.

most rational people realize that both parties aren't the same, but it really does feel like it sometimes. like when obama gives israel 38 billion dollars, and you're like .. wait, what the fuck? that's when the "both parties same" stuff rings at least slightly true..

Iksenpets

Banned
most rational people realize that both parties aren't the same, but it really does feel like it sometimes. like when obama gives israel 38 billion dollars, and you're like .. wait, what the fuck? that's when the "both parties same" stuff rings at least slightly true..

Oh totally. Hillary's consistent inclination towards foreign policy belligerency is troubling (though I think a lot of her critics go too far the other way towards dogmatic pacifism), and her apparently sincere love of Israel is baffling. But the people who seem to believe that $38 billion to Israel is a crime so severe that it's ok to risk letting the Republicans dismantle all the domestic achievements of the Obama era just to protest it are equally confusing to me. The Israel stuff seems so deeply engrained in the foreign policy establishment that even the president doesn't have much leeway to affect it, given that Obama, probably the most Israel-skeptic president in our history, wasn't able to do anything about it. Or at least there were always other, more pressing issues taking precedence, and so it was just never the right time to pick that fight.

Blader

The "what do I get out of voting" mentality is incredibly selfish. If you've decided not to vote, then clearly the outcome has no impact on your life. What do you get out of it? What about what everyone else gets? So as long as it doesn't matter to you what happens, vote in the interests of the millions of people who *will* get something out of it.

I am voting third party this year.

Don't feel the need to expand on it, OT doesn't have the atomsphere to discuss this kind of things.

When people talk about third-party driveby posts, this is exactly what they're referring to.

It's not that GAF doesn't have an atmosphere for discussing third-party votes (as if this is some incredibly nuanced conversation too sophisticated for the typical PoliGAF plebes). The, dare I say, meaninglessness and counter-productive value of a third-party protest vote in this election -- that will, if nothing else, determine the course of the Supreme Court for the next few decades -- has been argued to death. If you have some great insight as to how a vote for Johnson or Stein somehow gets around that, I'm sure everyone would love to hear it. But given that you just dropped in here to quickly comment about how your voting choice is above the rest of the partisan fray, I'm gonna guess we won't be hearing back from you.

Or, maybe we don't have to be so stubborn in our suspicion of Israel and American foreign policy when it comes to Israel. We have 30 years of Democratic leadership that has maintained fairly steady policy when it comes to Israel, from Clinton [Bill] to Obama, but it's not us who are wrong in our persistent suspicion of Israel and American foreign policy, it's the leaders who we trust on other issues, like they've all been tricked by knifing Zionist donors.

I think there is a stubborn insistence both on the pro-Israeli foreign policy wonks and the anti-Israeli populists. You see the argument made a lot about Trump supporters, and I think it's a valid argument, "you claim you're not racist, but look how many racists you're keeping in your company..." Likewise with the insistent anti-Israeli left, who claim not to be antisemitic (and probably aren't), but look at the company you're keeping. The anti-Israel left and the racist antisemitic alt-right make comfortable bed fellows.

Perhaps Obama's position on Israel is the right one: expect change, push for moderation in Israel, but yet still recognize them as a vital ally in the Middle East who still needs American support. That doesn't mean that "Democrats and Republicans are the same," but maybe the issue that many leading Democrats and Republicans have similar policy platforms on is the right one.

When people about talk about third-party driveby posts, this is exactly what they're referring to.

It's not that GAF doesn't have an atmosphere for discussing third-party votes (as if this is some incredibly nuanced conversation too sophisticated for the typical PoliGAF plebes). The, dare I say, meaninglessness and counter-productive value of a third-party protest vote in this election -- that will, if nothing else, determine the course of the Supreme Court for the next few decades -- has been argued to death. If you have some great insight as to how a vote for Johnson or Stein somehow gets around that, I'm sure everyone would love to hear it. But given that you just dropped in here to quickly comment about how your voting choice is above the rest of the partisan fray, I'm gonna guess we won't be hearing back from you.

I get why somebody wouldn't want to share their justification of an unpopular opinion. If someone posts that they're voting third party, they get dog-piled by people telling them that they're wasting their votes, or they're really voting for Trump, or something else equally evil. I'm voting for Hillary Clinton because I think that she'll be a good steward of the country. I honestly believe that too, not only in spite of her baggage but almost because of her baggage. A politician with baggage is a politician who has been in politics for a long time. A politician who has been in politics for a long time is, typically, a good politician who has garnered baggage because they've had to make tough, real decisions on real issues. This isn't a universal truth, but it's someone who has weighed far more issues with far more grave affects on their career, than the up and comer or the person who has famed or spent his/her way into a political race or the person who only served a homogenous majority in local politics.

So, that's (one reason) why I'm voting for Clinton.

But, I don't fault someone who votes third party because that third party represents their opinions best. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Not every voter has to feel like their vote is contributing to the grand game of politics. People are allowed to vote their conscience, their feelings, their opinions. There's an attitude here in political threads that, no, you're not allowed to do that, you're mandated to vote the utilitarian greatest good for the greatest number, and I'm the one who is going to tell you what that greatest good is, lest you are a moron shitposter. The Supreme Court is like the major copout that everybody uses. "Think of the Supreme Court!" Well, let's think of the Supreme Court. They're are so many factors that go into when a supreme court justice is chosen, how they're nominated, if they pass through Congress, and when they're affirmed as a justice, that I wouldn't fault somebody who is thinking of their immediate concerns (e.g., "Jill Stein has a more agreeable position on foreign policy to me than Clinton or Trump," or "Gary Johnson better represents my view of free enterprise than Clinton or Trump") over the long term, unpredictable, unquantifiable and ultimately unrelated affect on the Supreme Court that the lone independent voter is going to have. I live in Massachusetts, and I see friends of mine (or acquaintances) criticizes other people who are voting for Jill Stein, and while I would never vote for Stein, the idea that voting for Stein is going to mean that Trump wins Massachusetts is laughable given that it's one of Clinton's strongest states. So, if someone wants to vote their conscience and can't vote for Hillary Clinton for some particular reason, then I don't think they deserve the grave consequences of our children's children laid at their feet.

I'm voting for Clinton, and I'll encourage other people to do the same, but if someone wants to vote for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson because those candidates best represent them, then I don't think they should be criticized for it.

Blader

I get why somebody wouldn't want to share their justification of an unpopular opinion. If someone posts that they're voting third party, they get dog-piled by people telling them that they're wasting their votes, or they're really voting for Trump, or something else equally evil. I'm voting for Hillary Clinton because I think that she'll be a good steward of the country. I honestly believe that too, not only in spite of her baggage but almost because of her baggage. A politician with baggage is a politician who has been in politics for a long time. A politician who has been in politics for a long time is, typically, a good politician who has garnered baggage because they've had to make tough, real decisions on real issues. This isn't a universal truth, but it's someone who has weighed far more issues with far more grave affects on their career, than the up and comer or the person who has famed or spent his/her way into a political race or the person who only served a homogenous majority in local politics.

So, that's (one reason) why I'm voting for Clinton.

But, I don't fault someone who votes third party because that third party represents their opinions best. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Not every voter has to feel like their vote is contributing to the grand game of politics. People are allowed to vote their conscience, their feelings, their opinions. There's an attitude here in political threads that, no, you're not allowed to do that, you're mandated to vote the utilitarian greatest good for the greatest number, and I'm the one who is going to tell you what that greatest good is, lest you are a moron shitposter.

I'm voting for Clinton, and I'll encourage other people to do the same, but if someone wants to vote for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson because those candidates best represent them, then I don't think they should be criticized for it.

I get what you're saying. I won't begrudge people voting third-party, or not voting for any presidential candidate, if they live in a solid red or blue state. But if you live in Florida and are casting a vote for Johnson or Stein to stick it to the system or because both parties are the same or whatever else, then that's when I have to leave the conversation. :lol

dramatis

The third party vote numbers have, in recent elections, been too small to have consequence. When a politician campaigns, said politician is not aiming for the votes that went third party, said politician aims at demographics, at issues, and makes a platform that contrasts with his or her opponent that people can gravitate to. The other major party will always have more votes to steal than the third party and those votes would be more elastic than votes that go third party because of anti-establishment sentiment. Particularly in this election, a vote that goes to a third party isn't feedback, it's just a vote against the establishment, but doesn't establish any actual desirable policy initiatives that either candidate could note and support. You cannot in all honesty say Jill Stein or Gary Johnson have a strong issue they own in this election other than that they aren't D or R.

I don't think there is a difference. The two major parties right now became two majors by votes from scratch. They have platforms that establish what they are and what they stand for; as a result, citizens look at them and decide which one better represents their interests. It is not by 'obligation' that voters vote X or Y, it is because they have decided which camp aligns with their interests better that voters vote X or Y. Majority of citizens do not start initially not wanting to vote either side, because majority of citizens have already looked at the two major parties and their ideas and decided, "this one matches me more".

Every vote from every person is strategic, for reasons concocted by the voter himself or herself. Saying the process is only pure if the voter decides without influence by himself is stupid; how will the voter decide without looking out into the world and sifting through the information? What sort of vote can be made without any influences?

People complain when the two parties don't fight for their vote, now you come along and complain that they do fight for your vote.

Briarios

Everyone happy?

A couple hundred people were the difference between Bush & Gore ... sure, sometimes a vote doesn't seem like it matters, you know -- until it does. Do your civic duty and vote - not voting only communicates apathy, not anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom