• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Patapwn

Did any of you guys feel that 2-3 hours, while amazing, were not enough due to how great the experience was? I just don't want to feel like I didn't get enough from the game.

After playing through twice, I think the short length has more to do with the co-op. Any longer and I think it would be hard to carry on with one partner (which to me truly elevates the co-op as opposed to five or so people). Plus, the game seems like it works best in one playthrough. A five+ hour game would obviously make that much more difficult potentially hindering the 'experience'

Ridley327

In the very last part of the level, where you sit down to meditate, there's a ledge on the structure near the base of the stairs. Take the left route and you'll see it as you wrap around the building. I was stuck on this one forever as well.

Wow, would never have guessed. Thanks!

Wait where?! I still can't find it. I'm missing that one that someone posted an image of... dammit! Not seeing where the explanation is!

I don't know which one that is from the image, but it may be the notorious
third one on the slide level.

The one they're talking about
in the desert level is right at the end, just before you climb the stairs to the shrine. Instead of going up the stairs, walk around on the left side. You should get to the symbol.

Wait where?! I still can't find it. I'm missing that one that someone posted an image of... dammit! Not seeing where the explanation is!

Edit: This one! http://i.minus.com/ihpSShNritFsy.jpg

You're missing the one from the
slide level

TTP had a good explanation which I've copied here:

On the second slide (after the "puzzle" part), start by taking the route to the left, follow the path a little bit and then converge towards the rocks in the middle using the metal thing as a trampoline. Stay above the sand and keep going. You'll see a rock spike with a flying creature waiting for you there which will help you cross the chasm and enter a small canyon. Follow the canyon...

Sorry, hard to describe, but you basically have to start left and then diagonally travel to the right beyond the tower in the middle without falling into the sand below.

Although I used his explanation, I still have no idea what he's referring to as a 'trampoline' so I'd ignore that part lol. Otherwise, a solid guide!

Edit: Just found a youtube vid with all the collectibles for that area. Should be a better resource:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZKJZEph_0c

Just finished it and it was amazing!! I had a blast with four people online (although the game said I was playing with seven).
One guy guided me through the snake create thing going through the cave level.

Another awesome and emotional experience by TGC. But seriously, developers...look, you can have great story telling and an emotional experience without sappy scenes filled with cheesy dialogue.

Another awesome and emotional experience by TGC. But seriously, developers...look, you can have great story telling and an emotional experience without sappy scenes filled with cheesy dialogue.

I hope other devs play this game and realize that less is often more. We don't need to be subjected to complex presentations in order to get that feeling of 'depth'.

Mognet

Just did my part (spoilers ahoy):

After getting the white suit, I started a new game from scratch and helped out a new guy that I met in the first level. At first he was reluctant to follow me around, but after persistent chirping, I was able to lead him to all of the hidden glyphs and glowing symbols (even showed him the hidden flOw creature). Near the end of it, he refused to leave my side and we got to the top of the mountain together :)

White suit? how does one get that?

ultron87

I was very close to buying 3 months of PS+ just to play this game today. If I hadn't just dropped money on an iPad I would've probably done it.

I WANT IT SO BADLY.

dreamfall

Thank you TTP, SecretMoblin and Xbox Hives I love you all. Everything unlocked,
White beauty unlocked
. I heart thee GAF!

Thank you TTP, SecretMoblin and Xbox Hives I love you all. Everything unlocked,
White beauty unlocked
. I heart thee GAF!

Just finished my first game like this; it's an entirely different experience.

The power differential dramatically changes the relationships you form throughout the game. You almost feel a sense of obligation, because you're obviously the more experienced one—and you've got the new duds and abilities to prove it.

xclaw

I folded tonight, picked up a years worth of + and Journey.....

No regrets, none. This game is something else. If I didn't have to work in the morning I'd do another play through.

Just amazing.

Duffyside

Banned
I folded tonight, picked up a years worth of + and Journey.....

No regrets, none. This game is something else. If I didn't have to work in the morning I'd do another play through.

Just amazing.

Heh, we should change that other thread title for the next five days to "Plus What? Plus Journey, That's What!"

I've been so happy with my Plus Subscription, and even though I think releasing Journey this way is pretty bullshit on Sony's part, damn am I glad I have the sub.

Just beat the game again with:
hydrofoiler
cookie_of_nine (I think i beat it with him)

Ballers right here B).
I have to say this, the
skiing along the sand
is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in gaming.

going down that long slope with a shot on that mountain... the sun glistening off of the sand makes it look like a beautiful ocean. Good God...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I found my traveling companion from last night! :D I thanked him for waiting for me
at the top of the mountain
, and he said "I thought I'd lost you! We had to finish together after all we'd been through! :D".

;_;

Manly tears, man. Manly tears.

Duffyside

Banned
I found my traveling companion from last night! :D I thanked him for waiting for me
at the top of the mountain
, and he said "I thought I'd lost you! We had to finish together after all we'd been through! :D".

;_;

Manly tears, man. Manly tears.

This is what makes the game so great; everyone will have a different story to tell each with such different emotional impact. Some are going to lose their friends right before the end, and some at the beginning and meet new ones, and some lose them and then find them again, and then some are going to want to go on their own, and on and on it goes.

I know lots of games offer a "DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE EVERY TIME YOU PLAY! 1 BAJILLION GUNS BOOOOOOM*" but I don't know of any that can offer so many different, personal, emotional experiences. Truly a delight.

Mognet

Just completed a 2nd time, had a bro throughout the whole journey, at least that's what I thought until I saw his PSN name... KaidanHatesYou

foreveralone

Shinjiru

Finished it a little over an hour ago. Excellent game! I will definitely be playing through it multiple times.

I met seven companions along the way, but it only seemed like two to me. If any gaffers joined me on the journey (PSN: Shinjiru) it was a blast! Thanks!

Nekobo

Took around 2 hours to beat it...and it was absolutely amazing. It felt shorter than because I was so absorbed, especially when I encountered another player. The graphics are gorgeous and I even got a little choked up during one of the slide moments.

I can't wait to play this again.

Adamm

When I played it the first through the first time i lost my partner in the final stretch. I tried to back & find them but they were gone :(

I reached the top alone :(

Mognet

Can anyone please tell me where the missing symbol is? I'm not sure where it's located looking at these rocks. ; ;

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
I'm not sure if I should be doing this, but I got myself some codes from Sony's Facebook Journey Avatar Promo thing. Apparently they're multi use:
42RM-BANN-QJ2A
4JA3-JGND-NMM7
2GMC-AENH-MF5K
NGL9-22NP-T464

lol, they're multi use after about 50 times or so. I set those up, so grab em while you can! But then the FB App has about 100,000 uniques in the database, so it's set up fine =)

Wonderful to see everyone is enjoying the game. I sat down to play it last week which happened to be a solo experience. Just went through it again just tonight and this time with two others. Amazing experiences both times, and interestingly enough, there were completely different unique moments that had an emotional impact on me in both playthroughs.

an amazing piece of art.

this game was absolutely incredible, i just felt incredible bliss with the overall atmosphere, the haunting and beautifully composed soundtrack, and the wonderful pacing of the levels. the co-op experience was pretty spectacular and it makes you wonder how they pulled it off so well, meshing users experience together with so many people playing it at different parts of the game, it's insane, really. the ending got me so emotionally involved i actually shed tears... lol. gosh, it was definitely worth the 15 dollars to me and definitely worth the wait, will play again tomorrow :)

Liamario

Banned
Journey is distinctly lacking a journey. Am I missing something or is this the shortest game of all time...

StuBurns

Banned
It took me about eighty minutes, but the design is very dense, I think being succinct is part of it's charm. Although the title certainly makes a lot more sense once you've finished the game.

Journey is distinctly lacking a journey. Am I missing something or is this the shortest game of all time...

Time has nothing to do with this type of game, I've seen a lot of films and most of them didn't have the Impact this game have

I can see why some one that rushes and don't take everything in and enjoy all the little things and think game have to be X hours for X $ wouldnt like it but if you didnt feel happy at the end of this game first time you must be dead inside

StuBurns

Banned
I'm only one scarf symbol short now, but when I found my latest one, I found something strange.

In the tower level, you can find the Flow creature, which lots of people know already, but once you've finished that level, it's location changes, the next time it's in the cloth dragon's room, I wonder where else it can appear.

bunbun777

I played this through tonight alongside a friend - we started together at the same time but were never paired together. Very beautiful game I rushed through it a bit but will enjoy taking more time as I go through again. An enjoyment and wonderful playing with other random players. The slower I went the more appreciatian I had for the environment but it was quite exhilarating speeding through it as well. I finished with a total of 3 others, my friend meditated for apx 15 mins and had 8 others when he was done. Highly recommended to all.

StuBurns

Banned
GAF, I command you, assist me!

b9f2Q.jpg

Just that bottom row one now, please help.

Hanmik

GAF, I command you, assist me!

b9f2Q.jpg

Just that bottom row one now, please help.

Stuby..try going to the stage/level that you need .. looks like stage 3 and 6 to me. Go to the end of the stage, where the altar thing is (the one you sing to at the end of each stage).. look at the bottom of it, you can see the symbols. The symbols that are lit you have found. That way you can tell us what you are missing..

Top Bottom