• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

seeds19

Banned
anyone has downloaded the dynamic theme from the pal store? i didn't find the theme.

Finished the game a few hours ago, enjoyed the experience a lot, my personal goty 2012.

Ricky_R

Thanks guys for the posts about how 2 hours are enough for the experience this game offers. I shall get it soon.

I forgot to mention this nice little detail I'm sure most of you didn't notice.

If you get to the top of the tower where the white figure shows you the "journey" and you are by yourself, it will only show 1 figure falling at the end of the mural. If you have two, it shows you and your partner.

The attention to detail is amazing.

woops... spoiler tags broke lol

I think that the part
where there's the long slide with the sun setting and the amazing music playing
is possibly my favorite part in a video game, ever. Can't remember the chapter number, so sorry for the lame description

I think that the part
is possibly my favorite part in a video game, ever. Can't remember the chapter number, so sorry for the lame description

I'm sure anyone who's played Journey knows exactly what you're talking about. Amazing section!

Emitan

I think that the part

I think it's chapter 3.

Chapter List:
Prologue: The Tutorial
Chapter One: The Bridge
Chapter Two: The Desert
Chapter Three: The Sunken City
Chapter Four: The Passage
Chapter Five: The Temple
Chapter Six: The Summit

that was amazing.

I am stunned sitting here staring at the title screen. that was so well done. no game has ever moved me as much, or made me feel so human. also literally some of the most gorgeous scenery/moments in any game ever

during the final push or the return to the source, so to speak, my companion and I were walking on either side. I slowly shifted into the center, and then my companion followed suit, creating a single being. I started crying

This game will create better people and promote unity, love and general respect for all life. I sincerely thank the creators

Duffyside

Banned
Haha, was watching a playthrough video on youtube. Here's a way the internet can tarnish even this wonderful experience.

"Companions met along the way;

Link2MyBalls"

Haha, was watching a playthrough video on youtube. Here's a way the internet can tarnish even this wonderful experience.

Link2MyBalls"

Hahaha oh man that is hilarious. I can only imagine playing through the game for the first time and processing all of the things you went through during the credits and then this pops up on the screen. Priceless.

Link2MyBalls"

I had a companion named Douche something (can't remember) but to be honest, I was actually stoked that I had met so many people along the way.

I'm betting that even through any subsequent playthroughs, I'll probably be like - whoever _____ is, you were awesome for playing this game with me.

StuBurns

Banned
The second I heard about the names thing the first thing I thought off was trolling. I feel kind of bad because my PSN name is just nonsensical.

Actually quite a lot of the time I was achievement hunting I felt bad about meeting people who just wanted to play the game and I was ignoring them. Even worse now people have the 'unlock', I can't even imagine seeing that thing in the game world without knowing about it.

As for the crying thing. I didn't cry, but I was pretty stunned for a few minutes. Flower probably hit me harder, although Journey is certainly the far better game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What's nice about Journey is that people are talking about the experience, not the technology.

Which might seem obvious, but as a piece of tech its also extremely good. I presume its using SSM's nice MLAA implementation because its very polished looking visually, and from a purely artistic standpoint it is a genuinely beautiful piece of work.

You could very easily frame and put on display screen grabs, its so pretty.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Game exceeded all my expectations. It was magical and that score was fantastic!

dreamfall

After receiving the
White cloak
, I definitely replayed it and helped a fellow companion through the game. It is really remarkable how different the playthroughs are between the two, I felt like I was floating effortlessly through the entirety of the game. I definitely let my fellow traveler take lead, and took a lot of time meditating and appreciating the adventure.

The music
throughout the game
is incredible.

I was initially going to say that the music
when you first get to The Passage
is stunning,
especially after the activity of The Sunken City
, but it really only works within the context of the entire soundtrack.

by the way, the people I met on my first runthrough were RonMaest, IceColdEskimo, DoctorMoneyBags, Axenic_Radical, and Corvus_PD

not sure if any of those belong to one of you on here

Interesting. Would you say solo is the ideal first play? Or would co-op be an equally good, but different first play...

I can't know, because my first time through the game was solo, and it's tough to imagine going through it the first time with a companion. My assumption is that both would be remarkable experiences; after all, it sounds like most people here went through it with one or more companions for their first time and reactions are overwhelmingly positive (confirmation bias yadda yadda etc).

I will say that I'm extremely glad I first experienced the game alone.

My first walkthrough has been with a companion, and I regret nothing.

The last levels were specially amazing having a companion. I don't think that it would be the same, the first experience, alone.

FootballFan

I consider the "can games be art" debate finally settled once and for all with Journey.

I loved Flower, but this is such an advance in every way.

:eek: Flower was amazing, reading through some of these comments here and some of the reviews, I am getting this day one, too bad I don't have PS+ anymore. Can't wait though.

Anyone who liked Flower will love Journey. I went through most of the game the first time with another person. Interacting was interesting. It tended to speed up my playthrough because the other player wanted to plow through. I'll never know if it would have been better solo.

Jezabel

Just finished this before, such an amazing experience. so glad i became PSN+ for this.

It evoked such a deep emotional response from me, it made me happy and it made me utterly depressed at times, gonna get my girlfriend to play through this definitely a good starting point for her as a gamer.

Journey is easily in my top 5 of all time now and i cant wait to play it again

Duffyside

Banned
I saw the review thread, but I'm always fascinated to know what other developers have to say about a game. Anyone seen anything by someone? On Twitter, at least?

Edit: And how awesome is this game's "Chapter Select"? Even THAT is evocative.

StuBurns

Banned
And how awesome is this game's "Chapter Select"? Even THAT is evocative.
I was surprised how unobtrusive it feels. On paper I'd have said that was a bad idea, it's an unneeded barrier to content, but they do an excellent job of having any specific one be easily accessible.

One thing I do find strange about it however is there is a second level selection-esque hub area within the game. Given the progression of that environment, it makes sense, but it struck me as unusual.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My wife liked Flower, but couldn't get a handle on the controls. She LOVED Journey, however, and played through and beat it while i was at work. She had the same companion the entire game. She said she was shocked when
the end it only listed one person in companions met
. She was tearing up both times i beat it.

I'm in love with this game, and i could easily play it over and over again. I generally can't stand trophies, but i think i might go for all of them in Journey.

One thing I do find strange about it however is there is a second level selection-esque hub area within the game. Given the progression of that environment, it makes sense, but it struck me as unusual.

I'm 95% sure there isn't.

The first stage select is the desert, which is after the second level.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
10 seconds of download left

fffuuuuu

then you wait for it to install

dUq24.png

Duffyside

Banned
Hah, wait a minute, not only are there glowy things on
level 6, which is the snow level, right
, but I got them all? How the heck did I manage that?

I do wish you could find out what glowy things you were missing while selecting the chapter though. They could've set it up just like they do at the end of each chapter, with the marks glowing on the bottom of the stone tablet.

StuBurns

Banned
Hah, wait a minute, not only are there glowy things on
level 6, which is the snow level, right
, but I got them all? How the heck did I manage that?

I do wish you could find out what glowy things you were missing while selecting the chapter though. They could've set it up just like they do at the end of each chapter, with the marks glowing on the bottom of the stone tablet.
Nope, none in the last level.

With the exception of
The Sunken City
, I think you can go back and get any that you missed if you reach the shrine at the end and see that you missed any.

Emitan

With the exception of
The Sunken City
, I think you can go back and get any that you missed if you reach the shrine at the end and see that you missed any.

I think there's a big jump in
The Passage
so you can't go back and 2 of the symbols are before it.

Top Bottom