• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

StuBurns

Banned
Stuby..try going to the stage/level that you need .. looks like stage 3 and 6 to me. Go to the end of the stage, where the altar thing is (the one you sing to at the end of each stage).. look at the bottom of it, you can see the symbols. The once that are lit you have found. That way you can tell us what you are missing..
I'm really confused, I thought that last row was the last stage. It makes sense it wouldn't be. I've been searching the wrong level, shit. Thanks man.

Hanmik

I'm really confused, I thought that last row was the last stage. It makes sense it wouldn't be. I've been searching the wrong level, shit. Thanks man.

I´m actually not sure what level those blank spots represent, just guessing because I´m at work... but at the end of each level you can see what symbol you are missing by looking at the Altar/shrine thing...

even more confused now.. saw this

ihpSShNritFsy.jpg

on the previous page..

I want to read all these spoilers but alas, I still haven't finished the game after owning it for 2 days.

My dog honestly made it his sole mission in life to keep me from finishing Journey last night. Eventually it got to the point where I realized I wasn't enjoying the game at all because I was just worrying about him so I had to call it a night.

Maybe tonight I will fare better.

StuBurns

Banned
I´m actually not sure what level those blank spots represent, just guessing because I´m at work... but at the end of each level you can see what symbol you are missing by looking at the Altar/shrine thing...
Unfortunately the last level doesn't have the shrine to check.

Also, the panels at the shrines are in the order they appear within the level, but in the level select environment they aren't in that order, so it's much harder to guess where to look.

EDIT: That other one is the other side yeah, there's a bank of four fours and one of two fours. I assumed the four fours are levels one to four, and the other is five and six, but I'm not sure.

Hanmik

Unfortunately the last level doesn't have the shrine to check.

Also, the panels at the shrines are in the order they appear within the level, but in the level select environment they aren't in that order, so it's much harder to guess where to look.

EDIT: That other one is the other side yeah, there's a bank of four fours and one of two fours. I assumed the four fours are levels one to four, and the other is five and six, but I'm not sure.

sorry I forgot there are panels on each side like this.

but again..look at the end og all levels like this..

aopQQ.jpg

here you can see that all symbols are lit, meaning he found all..

StuBurns

Banned
I'm guessing there isn't actually four in each level then. The second level, which is directly in front of the spawn point on level select does only have three by the looks of it, and it seems that the one in that pic does too.

Hanmik

I'm guessing there isn't actually four in each level then. The second level, which is directly in front of the spawn point on level select does only have three by the looks of it, and it seems that the one in that pic does too.

exactly.. but try going to the end of each level and check.. check one of the shorter levels first without collecting symbols. They should light up if you got them on your previous playthrough.

Mognet

Can two white cloaked people coop together?

Nevermind, just got in a session with another white cloak.

Started it and beat it last night. Incredible. Met up with a companion after 10 mins of playing and we ended up going through the entire thing together. Helping each other find the hidden orbs and everything.

Only letdown was that the Playstation didn't add the user name I saw at the end of the credits in the (players met) menu on the XMB. I at least wanted to message the person and say, holy shit that was amazing. thanks for sticking around.

If you want to add this to OT, feel free to clean it up or correct it if need be.

Symbol (etc etc) Guide
I don't know the location of all of them but here is a small guide. (Going from memory)

Row 1 - Starting "Level Select" Area - 3 symbols:
1 -
On a small platform, giving you your first jump ability.
2 -
Slide down into the main level select area. There is one on the right side on the platform.
3 -
On the way up to the center platform, on the left side, there is one there.

Row 2 - Broken Bridge- 3 symbols
1 -
Before dropping down, look left. You'll see the sign in a bundle of rocks.
2 -
At those rocks, look toward the back of the area. You'll see a bunch of sand falling from a cliff... head in that direction. There is a small alcove somewhat hidden by the sand falling. One of the symbols is in there.
3 -
On the other side of the bridge, you'll see more sand falling, there is a ledge up ahead with one on there. To get it easily, if you have all symbols up to this point, you can stand on the rocks near, make sure you have released the cloth near them, shout to get them to boost you up and make your way to that spot.

Row 3 - The Dunes - 4 symbols (this one is a little harder to remember...)
1 -
It's somewhere a long the "normal" that of things... sorry my memory eludes me.
2 -
There is a decently sized collection of buildings off into the left side of the map. If you notice a triangular piece of building in the ground near the beginning left, you aren't too far off. Just follow the "arrow" up the dunes and you'll see the buildings there.
3 -
There is a circular platform just before the end area. Stand there until a star/symbol hits.
4 -
On the left side of the final platform, run around the left of the stairs, follow it around until you get this one.

Mirage Trophy -
Once you begin this area, get the cloth guy to come out, then run off forward/right. It's probably one of the most right places in this area. You'll see a few pieces of rubble and a yellow flower. Go up to it and touch it or sing.

Row 4 - Sunken City
1 -
Not too far from the beginning, there is a long platform going "straight" IN THE MIDDLE RIGHT AFTER THE BIG CLIFF PILLAR. Hop on before you lose your chance. There is a symbol on here.
2 -
At the end of the first section, you reach a tunnel with sand at the end... you FLY out there. You must fly to the right (straight to camera's perspective) and there is a high up ledge with a symbol there. You can use a couple groups of cloth + jumping to get up there.
3 -
After you move on from that section, you will notice a large center piece cliff. Go around it to the left, stay close to it though. Slide past it, and then stay left after you pass it, hugging the next cliff. You'll see a rock that juts out. A cloth creature will carry you across the gap, and the third and final symbol of this area is here.

Row 5 (First row on other side) - The Cave ("Underwater City")
1 -
In the first few minutes you'll notice broken "tube" or "tunnel" like structures. There is a set of them where you'll see one propped up by another. Fly to the tube that's propped up, turn around and fly in. There is a symbol there.
2 -
Next section has a bunch of "sea weed." There is a "T" structure (when looked at from a top/down perspective) jump and fly into that. There is one right at the cross section of the T.
3 -
This is a bottomless pit section. Lots of jelly fish looking things. Go as high up as you can. There is one up top on the highest jelly fish.
4 -
This one is near the final slope at the end where those meanies fly around. You'll see a bunch of broken stuff on the left side and a pillar. It's behind all of that near the path.

Row 6 (Second row on other side) - The Tower
1 through 3 -
These are all easy to find. Raising the "water" will make them even easier to get.
4 -
There is a "barred" off area on the perimeter of the area. You'll see the little glowing sign behind small pillars looking like it's barred off. Jump/swim toward it. There is nothing blocking it on the sides, grab it.

Aaaaand you're done! And now my carpel tunnel is back in full force.

Emitan

I don't know the location of all of them but here is a small guide. (Going from memory)
2 -
At the end of the first section, you reach a tunnel with sand at the end... you FLY out there. You must fly to the right (straight to camera's perspective) and there is a high up ledge with a symbol there. This is your only chance to get it by yourself. IIRC, you need a partner otherwise if you miss.

No.

You can use the two "clouds" of cloth to reach it by yourself as long as you have a good amount of cloth (when I did it, I had every single glowing symbol up to this point)

Finished this last night. I don't know how thatgamecompany manages to do if, but all of their games manage to get an emotional response out of me - usually sheer joy & awe. The ending was quite the sight to behold too.

Trying to get as many playthroughs before I binge on ME3 this weekend.

The level design of the "underwater ruins" and the last level - you couldn't keep the smile off my face during those portions. It was like flower levels of awe.

Ridley327

So, this doesn't happen often enough in this game for it to be a major issue, but are there a lot of framerate stability issues with PhyreEngine? The woes of the Souls games and Amy are well documented at this point, but not even this game is immune to random spikes where the framerate drops down to the teens. It's a shame when it happens, because the visual presentation is otherwise faultless.

Carl

Just finished it. Completely and absolutely floored by everything that happened in the last 2 hours.

SO GOOD.

Finished my first "journey" today. Says I only played with three people which I was suprised at, as I was sure I lost track of one or two people at various points. Amazing game, much more impacting on me then eithier flow or flower.

The general presentation is gorgeous but the anonymous (?) co-op was what sold me on the game. Loved seeing how the dynamic changed with the different people I played with.

EDIT:

keltickennedy said:
Only letdown was that the Playstation didn't add the user name I saw at the end of the credits in the (players met) menu on the XMB. I at least wanted to message the person and say, holy shit that was amazing. thanks for sticking around.
This SO much. I would of noted down the names that popped up at the end otherwise. It would of been nice to be able to send a thank you or something at least. Maybe this is something they could patch in?

Finished my first "journey" today. Says I only played with three people which I was suprised at, as I was sure I lost track of one or two people at various points. Amazing game, much more impacting on me then eithier flow or flower.

The general presentation is gorgeous but the anonymous (?) co-op was what sold me on the game. Loved seeing how the dynamic changed with the different people I played with.

EDIT:

This SO much. I would of noted down the names that popped up at the end otherwise. It would of been nice to be able to send a thank you or something at least. Maybe this is something they could patch in?

Just a heads up. The list of people is in chronological order of you playing with them.

I can't wait until next week when everybody gets a chance to play this. This is quickly turning from my game of the generation to my favorite game ever!

red731

Jump a couple times. It'll work.

Nothing worked, must have quit the game.

But I have finished it now with different BEST FRIEND THAT I WILL NEVER KNOW AND MEET AGAIN.

Thatgamecompany made me weak from all the emotions I have felt.

That happiness, fear, how I was scared for my friend, the waiting and helping with guidance...

Near the end, when we were about to freeze I was literaly more scared for my friend than me. I was chirping as much I could to make him stronger...

When we were alive and in that amazing sunny space, I literaly shed a tear from my eye.
I was laughing with happiness, waiting for him so we can fly together...

At the end...near the cave, I stopped and chirped happily at him.

Then we walked...

and I couldnt move in how much AWE I was.

also, the names at the end. Three companions.

Nothing worked, must have quit the game.

But I have finished it now with different BEST FRIEND THAT I WILL NEVER KNOW AND MEET AGAIN.

Thatgamecompany made me weak from all the emotions I have felt.

That happiness, fear, how I was scared for my friend, the waiting and helping with guidance...

Near the end, when we were about to freeze I was literaly more scared for my friend than me. I was chirping as much I could to make him stronger...

When we were alive and in that amazing sunny space, I literaly shed a tear from my eye.
I was laughing with happiness, waiting for him so we can fly together...

At the end...near the cave, I stopped and chirped happily at him.

Then we walked...

and I couldnt move in how much AWE I was.

also, the names at the end. Three companions.

=']

StuBurns

Banned
It's a little thing, but
your ability to 'chirp' decaying with your energy towards the end
was a really beautiful touch.

darkwing

yup, experienced it all above, amazing, now in my third play through, will I lead or will I follow? oh my companion on my 2nd play just sent me a message of thanks for a wonderful journey

Duffyside

Banned
It's a little thing, but

Yep,
you wouldn't glow if next to another person either. That was a great touch throughout, as once the game starts to turn into a struggle you get the idea that you were using each other for warmth/comfort, not just jumping ability.

But anyway... the ending is
sort of depressing,
isn't it? I'd love to hear what people think.

Carl

It's a little thing, but

I loved that. I noticed it
getting steadily weaker and weaker, but kept hammering it anyway to try and help my partner. My song soon turned to basically nothing and i collapsed in the snow. I just sat there thinking about it :/

I was surprised that I got the
wonder
trophy during my first playthrough.

But gah, I wish I was home right now to play right now... I can still hear the music in my head.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Awesome game, really enjoyed every minute.

Here is my take on the the story, not knowing what was already said here:

Some person, not the hooded figure, was dying, "going towards the light" you might say. That light was the mountain top. The journey for the figure was the unknown amount of time (seconds, minutes?) of the dying process for the real person. The death in the snow was the moment of death for both the figure and the person. From there is was an eastern take on the after life and reincarnation.

Edit: I finished with a partner and in the end had three overall. Are they in order?

milesdm

Don't know if it's been brought up in this thread already, but there's another one of these videogame documentaries over on Kickstarter, titled "Us and the Game Industry", partially following Thatgamecompany for the development of Journey. Only 9 days left on the thing, but they've only raised $4,000 out of their $20,000 goal.

There's some other stuff from the description mentioning coverage of Die Gut Fabrik (Joust) and Jason Rohrer (Passage, Sleep is Death, Inside a Star-Filled Sky), including bits where him and Jenova Chen are playing Sleep is Death.

Anyways, there's at least a few bits in the video there with Jenova and Robin talking Journey.

red731

I wont play it for a week, so I can atleast feel what I had felt some minutes ago.
Also trophy.

clap clap clap

Adamm

It's a little thing, but

Yes I loved that,
even a big chirp you would just slightly nod your head upwards

Is it also designed so your partner collapsed a second or 2 before you? The first time i played it there was a tiny moment of panic were i thought it wasn't suppose to happen, that my partner hadn't made it. But it seems to happen each time.

GeoramA

It's a little thing, but
Is that part playable with a companion?

The companion I was with fell off that side of the mountain right before that part and never seen him again, even though I waited :/

Ridley327

The companion I was with fell off that side of the mountain right before that part and never seen him again, even though I waited :/

They can get back up if they got blown away at the part with no railings.

Yeah.
My companion and I were desperately trying to chirp to one another during that part but when I lost them, I tried waiting but they never showed up again.

GeoramA

Thanks. Doing that part alone kinda depressed the hell out of me. I imagine it's worse with a companion.

Will make sure I have one next playthrough.

Can't wait to play this.

I still play flower occasionally, and the length of the game didn't bother me in the least. I want to hug a bottle of wine and delve into this ASAP.

The concept behind the multiplayer elements in this are very attractive to me, as I have grown disenchanted with multiplayer experiences over time. I want a casual interaction with others on the same journey, minus the competitive gulf.

Thanks. Doing that part alone kinda depressed the hell out of me. I imagine it's worse with a companion.

Will make sure I have one next playthrough.

I'm glad I played solo my first time; the second time with a companion was a dramatically different experience.

It's a little thing, but

THIS!

It was the little things like this that, the made this game so emotional for me. Sony should buy That Game Company and put them in charge of team ICO.

red731

Can't wait to play this.

I still play flower occasionally, and the length of the game didn't bother me in the least. I want to hug a bottle of wine and delve into this ASAP.

The concept behind the multiplayer elements in this are very attractive to me, as I have grown disenchanted with multiplayer experiences over time. I want a casual interaction with others on the same journey, minus the competitive gulf.

Thats what I did! You will be amazed.
I kinda want to play it again now...

d0c_zaius

probably my favorite download game of all time.

don't even know how anyone can top this experience.

can someone make me a journey av :p

Top Bottom