• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

I think there's a big jump in
The Passage
so you can't go back and 2 of the symbols are before it.

Oops, you're right. Forgot about that.

Either way, it's not too difficult to get the ones you missed. There aren't that many in the game, and you can access the stage select area at any point.

neobiz

Incredible experience.

Bravo thatgamecompany

The only thing that detracted from my experience was
seeing the list of people I ran into. Really, SirNads and AmpWang? Perhaps I should take it as I have no control who floats in and out of my life but good gravy.

Amir0x

Banned
I just beat this game.

I was wrong. I was wrong. Everything I said about this game was wrong. I don't know what changed, I'm not even sure I can articulate what changed, but I was wrong. This is the first time I am actually rendered speechless by a game and literally cannot find the words to explain the type of reaction it renders unto the player. I played with my fiancee (she played one screen, I would play the next), and it was some sort of transcendent experience, a game whose name could be nothing else; a game which defies the very criticism I am so fond of. I do not know what to make of it, I do not think this is the way games should be, but I do think this is one of the most fascinating and provocative experiences on a gaming console that there has ever been. If this does not deserve conversation, if this does not demand attention, something is very very wrong in this gaming world.

They stunned me into submission and forced me to rethink my rigid gaming structural requirements... and I don't know if I can go back.

SiteSeer

I just beat this game.

I was wrong. I was wrong. Everything I said about this game was wrong. I don't know what changed, I'm not even sure I can articulate what changed, but I was wrong. This is the first time I am actually rendered speechless by a game and literally cannot find the words to explain the type of reaction it renders unto the player. I played with my fiancee (she played one screen, I would play the next), and it was some sort of transcendent experience, a game whose name could be nothing else; a game which defies the very criticism I am so fond of. I do not know what to make of it, I do not think this is the way games should be, but I do think this is one of the most fascinating and provocative experiences on a gaming console that there has ever been. If this does not deserve conversation, if this does not demand attention, something is very very wrong in this gaming world.

They stunned me into submission and forced me to rethink my rigid gaming structural requirements... and I don't know if I can go back.

no, tell us how you really feel ... seriously, why didn't sony do a wide release, can't wait to play this with all these flattering user reviews!

Zia

Incredible experience.

Bravo thatgamecompany

The only thing that detracted from my experience was
seeing the list of people I ran into. Really, SirNads and AmpWang? Perhaps I should take it as I have no control who floats in and out of my life but good gravy.

My first time through, I partnered most of the game with a single person.
His name was Naruto-something. Normally, if I were forced to pair with someone named for a juvenile anime, I'd probably just leave. However, this nameless partner was wonderful. He showed me secrets as this was obviously not his first play through, he kept me close during all of the threatening parts and finally, our voices recovered as we marched towards our new existence(s), we chirped out a perfect, little song together, before melding into a singular silhouette. Seeing immature or vulgar tags, and recalling the experience I had, doesn't put me off but rather makes me feel really, really warm. Journey's a remarkable achievement not only artistically and emotionally, but socially -- it brings out the best in a group of people we more often than not only see the worst of.

newjeruse

I just beat this game.

Big props for giving it a second chance.

Amir0x

Banned
For once my bitter curiosity led me down a road I am glad I went down. I... there are moments in this game, little slices of time, that just imprint on ones memory, impossible imagery that becomes nearly mythological after one is done with this experience. And yes, it's an "experience"... I was using it as a pejorative before, but it shouldn't be used in that way. That's what this is in the actual proper sense of the word. I genuinely don't know how else to describe it.

I just beat this game.

Respect +1

I've just finished it myself, took me around 2 hours exactly, single player only. I'll write my full impressions once I've played with other people, as it plays very differently that way (my experiences from the beta)

I'll just say it was amazing in every way
Outstanding experience
Breathtaking

Amir0x

Banned
I just feel like the first two areas were poor representations of the rest of the game, and we shouldn't have even needed the press O/X prompts early on (and yeah, the early walls were kinda ehhh), but other than that, it is really really difficult for me to criticize the game here, or even want to. It sapped all desire for me to be cynical in this specific case. I really understand why this particular thread is so effusive in its praise. Normally, I'd roll my eyes and think this is just people get caught up in the moment, sadly biased by their wasted money, unable to criticize something they purchased with hard earned cash. But no. It just cuts the floor out from under you and dares you to engage.

And what's more, it's the perfect length. I never thought I'd say that. It should not be one second longer or shorter. I do not feel like I wasted even one half of one penny, and I purchased three fuckin' months of PlayStation Plus to be able to access this. It's the type of thing that even if you didn't like it, the conversation that one might have from experiencing it would likely be worth the admission anyway.

Duffyside

Banned
I just beat this game.

Wow. That's quite the mea culpa, and probably the most praising comments the game has received yet, considering where you were coming from. Thanks for giving it a shot and sharing your experience.

You'll note I never harangued you like some other people in here regarding your feelings towards Journey at first, because in a way, I agreed. Not because I shared your thoughts that games had to be game-y, but because in just watching people play the beta and seeing them talk about it, it looked so boring.

But I as soon as I got the game in my hands I knew this was something special, and it only got better and better, literally with every level.

Good for you for manning up and admitting you were wrong. Not enough of that happens on the internet. If this game can sway even amir0x, then there's nobody it can't reach
Except for maybe Jeff Gerstmann

I do not feel like I wasted even one half of one penny, and I purchased three fuckin' months of PlayStation Plus to be able to access this.
Hah. I was thinking of responding to this line as I read it with "You don't think it's a VALUE to buy this amazing game at $15?" I keep forgetting that not everyone can play it.

Now the real question remains; is it potentially GOTY material for you? Sure sounds like it. Maybe even more than that.

neobiz

My first time through, I partnered most of the game with a single person.
His name was Naruto-something. Normally, if I were forced to pair with someone named for a juvenile anime, I would immediately flee. However, this nameless partner was wonderful. He showed me secrets as this was obviously not his first play through, he kept me close during all of the threatening parts and finally, our voices recovered as we marched towards our new existence(s), we chirped out a perfect, little song together, before melding into a singular silhouette. Seeing immature or vulgar tags, and recalling the experience I had, doesn't put me off but rather makes me feel really, really warm. Journey's a remarkable achievement not only artistically and emotionally, but socially -- it brings out the best in a group of people we more often than not only see the worst of.

Congrats, that sounds like an incredible Journey indeed. I had no such moments, perhaps on another trip through.

And what's more, it's the perfect length. I never thought I'd say that. It should not be one second longer or shorter. I do not feel like I wasted even one half of one penny, and I purchased three fuckin' months of PlayStation Plus to be able to access this. It's the type of thing that even if you didn't like it, the conversation that one might have from experiencing it would likely be worth the admission anyway.

Well damn.

Welcome to the conversation, anyways. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's quite remarkable, even through multiple playthroughs. I'm one who thinks it probably could have been longer and retained its effect, but not a second was wasted on the final product.

I really wish PSN had gifting options. I would gladly drop $100 to send this around. People should really experience this game, even if they end up not loving it as much as I did.

Amir0x

Banned
And it's also like...the perfect, prime example of why the fuck visuals are so important in gaming. It almost singlehandedly destroyed every argument ever in history suggesting that gameplay is all that matters or even that it's "most important". It's clearly equal in stature. In the future if someone says that, I will point to Journey and just politely nod my head.

And the soundtrack is just stunningly gorgeous, an almost perfect final feather in the cap of this game's achievement.

*shrug*, I really just don't know what else to say. This game is the real deal for real real. There's almost nothing more I can say.

Duffyside said:
Now the real question remains; is it potentially GOTY material for you? Sure sounds like it. Maybe even more than that.

I feel like it would be an injustice to this experience to even put that sort of label on it. I don't think that's a cop out, but it might sound like it.

Emitan

Amir0x loving Journey? What's next, me not hating Uncharted?

Never.

I have to admit that I shared some of your concerns going in, but at the same time I really wanted a game where you can just... explore. I'm the kind of person that spent hours riding around in Shadow of the Colossus and this game reminds me a great deal of SotC.

I just loaded up PSN to see if I can grab this and realized it's only available to Plus members. So naturally I hop I into this thread only to see Amir0x's post, "oh, Ami, he's gonna rip into this game like no other" - except... he didn't. In fact, it looks as though the game has managed the impossible feat of even making him question his own sense of judgement. Smashing. And now the wait for Journey to be available to us pitiable non Plus members is made ever more bearable :l

Emitan

I just loaded up PSN to see if I can grab this and realized it's only available to Plus members. So naturally I hop I into this thread only to see Amir0x's post, "oh, Ami, he's gonna rip into this game like no other" - except... he didn't. In fact, it looks as though the game has managed the impossible feat of even making him question his own sense of judgement. Smashing. And now the wait for Journey to be available to us pitiable non Plus members is made ever more bearable :l

I'm gonna keep the game running 24/7 just so you see me playing it every time you look at your friends list :p

Duffyside

Banned
I really wish PSN had gifting options. I would gladly drop $100 to send this around. People should really experience this game, even if they end up not loving it as much as I did.

This reminds me; Journey's one potential big problem will be late next week is new players being matched up with old pros who have played the game multiple times. I think that experience would still be good, but not as enjoyable or impacting as playing it as you're matched with someone else who is playing it for the first time.

So, should someone make a thread (I'm leaning towards 'no' on this, but just throwing it out there) to "warn" people? "Hey, if you're going to play Journey, and you should, you should play it on Tuesday, when there is a big influx of new players. Also, here is how you can tell if someone has played the game before."

Just a thought.

Amir0x

Banned
I actually cannot play Mass Effect 3 for the moment heh. I'm just too stuck up on thinking about this game. Haha, this is such a wonderfully unexpected experience. I love being surprised and being wrong. It's so rare that it really makes me once again understand why I love this hobby.

Misguided

Banned
I'm seriously still trying to rack my brain around this one...how can a game be this perfect in execution of everything it tries (and succeeds) to accomplish? Most other games look tame by comparison...I really believe that Thatgamecompany have set a new standard; all these other games coming out will be good, but will they ever be Journey-good? Will TGC ever even top Journey? I really just don't know. There was a poster who made a thread about TGC maybe being the new Team Ico a while back, and at the time I thought it was silly, but now...I really don't know what to think. I believe that they've surpassed Ico and Shadow of the Colossus with Journey; yes, it would be somewhat silly to compare them, but I got heavy Team Ico vibes from this game, down to the
broken bridge in the second area of the game which reminds me both of Ico and SOTC's broken bridge (especially SOTC< being below it and all)
and just the way the narrative is presented to you in a less direct fashion. Yes, all 3 games have cutscenes, but they all use heavy environmental storytelling techniques to communicate the narrative and the message in a way that's really effective.

Probably went off the deep-end with the Team Ico comparisons here, but I really just don't know what to say. This game may have literally changed my life. Or maybe I'm just overreacting. But I hope not.

dreamfall

Can't seem to play anything, even after playing through more than eight Journeys. It's fucking perfect. Can't seem to pull away, I'm just gliding about.

I didn't want to say it, but yeah, I also got a distinctly Team Ico vibe, particularly SotC.

There's always one place for you to go, but you never feel pushed.

Damn! I was trying to resist purchasing Plus just to get this. Couldn't resist with all the praise i'm reading.

Looking at some of the Plus content it seems as though there's plenty of content available for free. Well see how it goes but I may have to consider keeping the service.

Thanks everyone!

Ra1den

This reminds me; Journey's one potential big problem will be late next week is new players being matched up with old pros who have played the game multiple times. I think that experience would still be good, but not as enjoyable or impacting as playing it as you're matched with someone else who is playing it for the first time.

So, should someone make a thread (I'm leaning towards 'no' on this, but just throwing it out there) to "warn" people? "Hey, if you're going to play Journey, and you should, you should play it on Tuesday, when there is a big influx of new players. Also, here is how you can tell if someone has played the game before."

Just a thought.

This is an excellent point, and one pretty important to me as I have not played it yet. Your'e saying there is a way to tell if somebody has played before (if it's a spoiler, forget I asked)?

Moreover, what can one do if they end up paired with an old pro? Ditch them somehow?

Emitan

This is an excellent point, and one pretty important to me as I have not played it yet. Your'e saying there is a way to tell if somebody has played before (if it's a spoiler, forget I asked)?

Their robes will have more designs on them.

Duffyside

Banned

Moreover, what can one do if they end up paired with an old pro? Ditch them somehow?

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that if a person has played the game all the way through, their cloak has an extra-design pattern on it. It's subtle, but if you know to look at the bottom of the cloak and compare it to your own, you'll see it.

And yeah, just let them walk on by. But if you play it on Tuesday evening I bet you'll be ok.

Ra1den

Their robes will have more designs on them.

I see. So even though I would feel pretty douchey, I could just disconnect and then reconnect to the internet, no?

edit: saw post above, guess it's easier than I thought. I've no clue how the pairing works in this game.

I'm worried.

Now granted, I only played the first area or level so I don't know if it's something I'm missing from this game, but I'm not feeling anything like what some of you are describing. I didn't dislike the game or think it was a bad experience, but as I read some of the high praise people are giving Journey, I feel like I missed something everyone else has clued in on.

I guess I didn't play enough. That's gotta be it.

Ra1den

I'm worried.

Now granted, I only played the first area or level so I don't know if it's something I'm missing from this game, but I'm not feeling anything like what some of you are describing. I didn't dislike the game or think it was a bad experience, but as I read some of the high praise people are giving Journey, I feel like I missed something everyone else has clued in on.

I guess I didn't play enough. That's gotta be it.

The game is only a few hours long, so I wouldn't waste time analyzing how the first level left you feeling. I think your best off suspending all judgement until you've completed it.

Shearie

I actually cannot play Mass Effect 3 for the moment heh. I'm just too stuck up on thinking about this game. Haha, this is such a wonderfully unexpected experience. I love being surprised and being wrong. It's so rare that it really makes me once again understand why I love this hobby.

I guess it was a good decision for me to wait and finish ME3 first and then play Journey. I'm loving ME3 right now but it seems like from this thread, playing through Journey is the videogame equivalent of finally finding your soulmate and no one else is good enough afterwards. The reception this game is getting in this thread - and from cynical-ass Amir0x no less - is crazy.

I'm worried.

I guess I didn't play enough. That's gotta be it

That's exactly it.
After the bridge level you will be consistently blown away, it really does get better the further your journey goes

The game is only a few hours long, so I wouldn't waste time analyzing how the first level left you feeling. I think your best off suspending all judgement until you've completed it.
That's just it. The first area didn't connect with me, so I haven't had any urge to play more.

But then again, I'm not a big weekday gamer, I usually do my gaming on the weekends so that may have something to do with it as well.

I'll play more this weekend.

Amir0x

Banned

Just a thought.

i played with an "old pro" and can confirm the experience was just as affecting. It was actually more amazing I think because of it. He stopped when I was lagging, barked at me to follow, we became so synchronized that I could communicate with him 100% accurately with only movements and barks. It was astonishing really. Another point that I felt was good on paper, but in action it is just endlessly better. It really is such a difficult game to describe in a way that does it justice. I feel like cynical people SHOULD apply, if only to see what a game that tries its hardest to subvert said cynicism feels like. It's a profound, almost impossible to replicate experience, so please enjoy every second of that first playthrough. I am pretty sure no other game will ever feel like this, whatever "this" may be.

I guess it was a good decision for me to wait and finish ME3 first and then play Journey. I'm loving ME3 right now but it seems like from this thread, playing through Journey is the videogame equivalent of finally finding your soulmate and no one else is good enough afterwards. The reception this game is getting in this thread - and from cynical-ass Amir0x no less - is crazy.

I just hope people realize I'm cynical and critical because I actually believe the things I'm deconstructing deserve that cynicism and criticism... I don't do it for the purposes of just being contrarian for devil's advocate sake or something. I prefer to participate in topics where people disagree with me, because those discussions are more interesting and because I know what i think. I don't need people to repeat what I already feel, I do need to hear what people who think differently than I do feel and try to understand their perspective. It's why people think I'm negative about everything, because I choose to participate in discussions where I have something to be negative about.

Journey is an unrivaled surprise, unique among any game experience I've had. I've had games where I thought it would be shit and then it turned out good. I've had games where I was unsure as to a direction and then was pleasantly pleased to see it turned out OK. I've never had a game that was so special, so unequivocally successful at whatever it is that it did, that it actually made me fundamentally reconsider the way I think games should be at times. I mean, I feel like the ground has been shifted from beneath my feet. This game is that important.

And I hated Flow and Flower.

DidntKnowJack said:
The first area didn't connect with me, so I haven't had any urge to play more.

I really felt the first two areas were poor representations of the final product, it's my one major complaint. After this, something changes. It's very hard to describe to you what it is but it does indeed change. It still may not be for everyone (I feel like this shouldn't require stating, but whatever), but it certainly will incite critical thought and evaluation of the type you may never encounter again.

Ra1den

Does anybody think it's a good idea to play it solo first, and then play online after beating it solo? Because it seems like doing it in the reverse order, the solo playthrough would be pretty boring after having already completed it with other players.

Or is there no reason at all to play solo if online is available? I know people have been talking like they are different experiences, so I may like to experience both ways.

Duffyside

Banned
i played with an "old pro" and can confirm the experience was just as affecting. It was actually more amazing I think because of it. He stopped when I was lagging, barked at me to follow, we became so synchronized that I could communicate with him 100% accurately with only movements and barks. It was astonishing really. Another point that I felt was good on paper, but in action it is just endlessly better. It really is such a difficult game to describe in a way that does it justice. I feel like cynical people SHOULD apply, if only to see what a game that tries its hardest to subvert said cynicism feels like. It's a profound, almost impossible to replicate experience, so please enjoy every second of that first playthrough. I am pretty sure no other game will ever feel like this, whatever "this" may be.

My worry is the Journey veteran ruining surprises or the sense of exploration. It will certainly be the case that a person will play the game with someone who has finished it, even multiple times, and that veteran won't go out of their way to warn someone of what's to come, or to show them hidden areas, or where the glowing artifacts are, etc. But I'm worried about the veteran who does show someone everything they can.

Did your companion show you where to go for every secret, and lead you down the safest path, etc? If so, then that actually makes me happy to hear that the game is still that affecting. But if not, and you just got lucky that your Journey-buddy was cool enough not lead you around on a leash, then I think you can now understand my concerns.

Does anybody think it's a good idea to play it solo first, and then play online after beating it solo? Because it seems like doing it in the reverse order, the solo playthrough would be pretty boring after having already completed it with other players.

Or is there no reason at all to play solo if online is available? I know people have been talking like they are different experiences, so I may like to experience both ways.
Heh, even though I was the one who originally worried about a veteran player negatively-affecting the possible experience, I would never play this game offline. Not even for a second.

Not really a SPOILER, but I was glad I found it on my own, so beware: Perhaps the most brilliant design in this whole game is the way the player is empowered. On your own, you can find power from the world to give you the ability to float/fly &#8212; by finding ribbons and essentially bringing them back to life, they in return give you this magical gift. BUT YO; in co-op, when you're close to your partner, and you call to each other, you give each other power. All of a sudden walking up a towering sand dune is no longer an isolated moment of struggle, but a joyous moment of play between things that may as well be children. Should you be lucky enough to have a partner who realizes this strength in the game too, you will fly together, land together, and then immediately empower one another before flying once more.

Don't play this offline.

Amir0x

Banned
He practically led me around with surgical precision. He almost held my hand. I really do believe this game is beyond such problems. If it's your first experience, it will feel like a first experience and the novelty of it will hardly wear off no matter which way you decide to play, or with whom.

UrbanRats

So, was my impression at least close to reality? I tried to watch as little as possible, but i thought the exploration "dna" of this game was similar to the one in Shadow of the Colossus.
Since the exploration in SotC (as pointless and as aimless as it may be) was one of my favorite experience in gaming, i'm naturally drawn to this, but i'm unsure yet.
Anyone here played both games?

In particular i'm referring to the calm, awe inspiring sense of mystery, induced by the lack of informations and solitude (that instead populate every other free roam, from Red Dead Redemption, to Skyrim, constantly throwing stuff at you).
It seemed something present here, too.
In SotC it perfectly gave you the idea of a remote, uncharted land, froze in time, communicating it without words.

Read the ~20-25 posts after this one. I played solo for my first time and I'm happy I did, but others were perfectly happy never doing a solo run or playing with companions for their first time.

My worry is the Journey veteran ruining surprises or the sense of exploration. It will certainly be the case that a person will play the game with someone who has finished it, even multiple times, and that veteran won't go out of their way to warn someone of what's to come, or to show them hidden areas, or where the glowing artifacts are, etc. But I'm worried about the veteran who does show someone everything they can.

Did your companion show you where to go for every secret, and lead you down the safest path, etc? If so, then that actually makes me happy to hear that the game is still that affecting. But if not, and you just got lucky that your Journey-buddy was cool enough not lead you around on a leash, then I think you can now understand my concerns.

Heh, even though I was the one who originally worried about a veteran player negatively-affecting the possible experience, I would never play this game offline. Not even for a second.

When I'm playing
with the white cloak
, I hang back. I generally stay close to the person and refill their scarf, but I let them explore at their own pace and follow them around.

Top Bottom