• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Amir0x

Banned
So, was my impression at least close to reality? I tried to watch as little as possible, but i thought the exploration "dna" of this game was similar to the one in Shadow of the Colossus.
Since the exploration in SotC (as pointless and as aimless as it may be) was one of my favorite experience in gaming, i'm naturally drawn to this, but i'm unsure yet.
Anyone here played both games?

In particular i'm referring to the calm, awe inspiring sense of mystery, induced by the lack of informations and solitude (that instead populate every other free roam, from Red Dead Redemption, to Skyrim, constantly throwing stuff at you).
It seemed something present here, too.
In SotC it perfectly gave you the idea of a remote, uncharted land, froze in time, communicating it without words.

I've played both. I will say it is probably the closest comparison we have that makes any sense, but again such comparisons really do this game an injustice. There is nothing else like it out there, period. "Exploration" has been redefined here, and the sense of crushing isolation mixed with astonishing beauty and one of the most elegantly refined narratives I've ever seen in a game (GAME DEVELOPERS: THIS IS HOW YOU TELL A GAME STORY. Note, it does not even require words: show, don't spell out every little fucking detail of your bloated, uninspired movie story wannbe self-parody. Whatever one thinks of how original this tale is, the details of it are dispersed in a way that is immediately engaging and mysterious, enlightening the mind and forcing one to wonder what lay next in the best sense. Interpretation is key. Even the simplest of stories can be wonderful if it is told in a way that makes the player feel like he is apart of the the unfolding narrative, that you are almost forming the image of said story as a shadow of your own imagination, a reflection on who you are. It's a feat. It's a fucking milestone.) make it stand alone among works on game consoles... and PCs, for that matter. Like some cliche P.O.D. song, it actually does stand alone.

Zeliard

I just beat this game.

I was wrong. I was wrong. Everything I said about this game was wrong. I don't know what changed, I'm not even sure I can articulate what changed, but I was wrong. This is the first time I am actually rendered speechless by a game and literally cannot find the words to explain the type of reaction it renders unto the player. I played with my fiancee (she played one screen, I would play the next), and it was some sort of transcendent experience, a game whose name could be nothing else; a game which defies the very criticism I am so fond of. I do not know what to make of it, I do not think this is the way games should be, but I do think this is one of the most fascinating and provocative experiences on a gaming console that there has ever been. If this does not deserve conversation, if this does not demand attention, something is very very wrong in this gaming world.

They stunned me into submission and forced me to rethink my rigid gaming structural requirements... and I don't know if I can go back.

I think you'd just be better off listening to me all the time :p

Nice post.

Amir0x

Banned
most of the time when GAFers demand I try something despite my clear reservations with something and clear critiques and problems with said product, it always ends in miserable failure: See FFXIII-2, see Nier, etc etc. It's so rare that I'm wrong about my own opinions, because I am intimately familiar with what I like and don't like and what is valuable in gaming and what is not. I understand you're teasing me, but I just thought this should be clear ;)

I am glad to have been proven wrong here. This is just remarkable. I don't want to stop talking about this game because I feel if I stop I will lose touch somehow with the last remaining fading remnants of the experience I just had, and I may never get it back...

most of the time when GAFers demand I try something despite my clear reservations with something and clear critiques and problems with said product, it always ends in miserable failure: See FFXIII-2, see Nier, etc etc.

I am glad to have been proven wrong here. This is just remarkable. I don't want to stop talking about this game because I feel if I stop I will lose touch somehow with the last remaining fading remnants of the experience I just had, and I may never get it back...

Play it again.

Then try and get all the glowing symbols (without help at first, of course).

Amir0x

Banned
i am pretty sure I got most of the glowing symbols (if you just mean the ones that extend your scarf)

i don't actually want to replay the experience, I don't think such an experience even should be played again. I wish it to stand like a sentinel in my memory, a dusky relic of a time when something important happened in this favorite hobby of mine. It is something like a passing glimpse of someone you once saw long ago, and that momentary glance stays there, unmovable, more important for the mere fact that it was fleeting.

I will probably watch my mom and sister play it though

Billychu said:
And then get better taste and start liking Nier :p

Shit gameplay, comically awful story, no polish, hilariously inept sidequests. Classic sub section of neoGAF's lack of taste. This thread is being devalued merely by comparison.

It definitely should be played again.

Trust us.

And the glowing symbols are counted between playthroughs, so you don't need to get them all in a single run. The reward for finding them all is very worth it.

Edit: If you want to take some time to process it, that's totally fine. But give it another shot. It's remarkable how rewarding it is each time.

UrbanRats

I was a bit reluctant from reading about the "2 hours longevity " thing.
Though i've lost countless hours in SotC's world, just roaming around every nook and cranny, so i think it's a matter of perspectives.
Plus Amir0x's posts got my hyped a bit.

i am pretty sure I got most of the glowing symbols (if you just mean the ones that extend your scarf)

i don't actually want to replay the experience, I don't think such an experience even should be played again. I wish it to stand like a sentinel in my memory, a dusky relic of a time when something important happened in this favorite hobby of mine. It is something like a passing glimpse of someone you once saw long ago, and that momentary glance stays there, unmovable, more important for the mere fact that it was fleeting.

I will probably watch my mom and sister play it though

Trophy hunting can actually be a useful exercise. I only go for 100% completion on games I really enjoyed. It helps me deconstruct the elements that I enjoyed as getting all of the achievements/trophies often requires a shit-ton of repetition. Mostly, I'll come out of the experience with at least a few cons which were overlooked during my initial playthrough. After doing this with Journey though, I still could not find anything that tarnished my opinion on how wonderful the game is. In fact, it's rare that I want to revisit a game after trophy hunting but I do in fact want to play it again and again.

Amir0x

Banned
I was a bit reluctant from reading about the "2 hours longevity " thing.
Though i've lost countless hours in SotC's world, just roaming around every nook and cranny, so i think it's a matter of perspectives.
Plus Amir0x's posts got my hyped a bit.

my feeling on length now:

Amir0x said:
And what's more, it's the perfect length. I never thought I'd say that. It should not be one second longer or shorter. I do not feel like I wasted even one half of one penny, and I purchased three fuckin' months of PlayStation Plus to be able to access this. It's the type of thing that even if you didn't like it, the conversation that one might have from experiencing it would likely be worth the admission anyway.

Seriously, everyone owes it to themselves to try this game. It does not mean you may like it and it does not mean it is something that is completely without faults somewhere, even if I find them difficult to pinpoint. It is just to say this game is worth trying and understanding and evaluating, that indeed much of the value may come in the form of the evaluation itself

It's really special dude.

XBOX HIVES said:
Trophy hunting can actually be a useful exercise

Maybe, but I hate trophies and achievements. I don't have a single platinum trophy and only like 2 1000/1000 games, and only incidentally... I wasn't aiming for those. And I own like five billion games.

Duffyside

Banned
well i'll just take your word for it, I'm not playing it again. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Heh, not to beat a dead horse, or even seem to contradict my previous comments, but there is something to be said for going through again and sort of being that big-brother helper to your fellow traveler. Not just for the new guy who you float around and help power-up their scarf, or nudge them along if they seem stuck, but also other people who have finished the game and you both want to find all the hidden glyphs and glowy bits. There is such satisfaction in seeing a companion's appreciation for your help with their chirps, or to hear your friend beckon you "hey, over here, I found something."

Leeness

I just beat this game.

I was wrong. I was wrong. Everything I said about this game was wrong. I don't know what changed, I'm not even sure I can articulate what changed, but I was wrong. This is the first time I am actually rendered speechless by a game and literally cannot find the words to explain the type of reaction it renders unto the player. I played with my fiancee (she played one screen, I would play the next), and it was some sort of transcendent experience, a game whose name could be nothing else; a game which defies the very criticism I am so fond of. I do not know what to make of it, I do not think this is the way games should be, but I do think this is one of the most fascinating and provocative experiences on a gaming console that there has ever been. If this does not deserve conversation, if this does not demand attention, something is very very wrong in this gaming world.

They stunned me into submission and forced me to rethink my rigid gaming structural requirements... and I don't know if I can go back.

Omg. I saw that you had posted and I was all "Oh... he said he didn't like the beta... :("

BUT YAY. :')

Heh, not to beat a dead horse, or even seem to contradict my previous comments, but there is something to be said for going through again and sort of being that big-brother helper to your fellow traveler. Not just for the new guy who you float around and help power-up their scarf, or nudge them along if they seem stuck, but also other people who have finished the game and you both want to find all the hidden glyphs and glowy bits. There is such satisfaction in seeing a companion's appreciation for your help with their chirps, or to hear your friend beckon you "hey, over here, I found something."

Yup, I actually had a great experience like this. Started on the first level and a new player popped in my game. At first he was very skittish and I think a bit leery of my presence (who isn't with online multiplayer these days?). But as I went with him through the level--guiding him across obstacles, chirping for him to follow me to a hidden symbol and waiting for him if he happened to fall behind--you could see his trust in me growing. By the end of the game, we were joined at the hip and you could sense his panic if i missed a jump and fell out of view from him. Really incredible.

Amir0x

Banned
little bits of polish that show thatgamecompany was almost obsessed with detail:

the fact that when your clothes start freezing, your clothes still flap a bit... but unlike usual, the flapping is now rigid and a perfect representation of the time after all warmth has left and you've been in sub zero temperatures for a few minutes with wet clothes, but before it has frozen solid. I mean they actually represented this in between state. There is a state after and before they similarly represent. It's crazy shit

little bits of polish that show thatgamecompany was almost obsessed with detail:

the fact that when your clothes start freezing, your clothes still flap a bit... but unlike usual, the flapping is now rigid and a perfect representation of the time after all warmth has left and you've been in sub zero temperatures for a few minutes with wet clothes, but before it has frozen solid. I mean they actually represented this in between state. There is a state after and before they similarly represent. It's crazy shit

People ask why it took 3 years for a 2 hour game? Little details like this that make it the most polished and meticulously crafted 2 hours in all of gaming.

Speevy

Banned
I don't want to play it again either.

I know I would enjoy it tremendously, but I'm so taken with what I remember the first time that I don't want to say "Oh, I know this is coming."

Leeness

Oh, are the (are we spoilering the end of the credits?)
PSN names at the end in order? I apparently met like seven people, but I think that's because I paused to go clean the kitchen, and I think I played most of the game with one person, and I wanted to message them

Mognet

What was everyone's favourite part of their Journey? I personally loved the bit
where you first enter the cave (not sure what you'd call it) and first encounter the snake creatures.

One of my very favorite things is the way that you have total control over the degree/amplitude of your jumps and your barks. And each of them is used both as a gameplay mechanic *and* as a way to communicate with other players; and the 'degree' of both moves matters very, very much whether it's used as a signal OR whether it's used to interact with things in-game. And yet it clearly feels like a 'degree' of the same move, rather than a different move entirely. Brilliant, brilliant control scheme - and this is coming from someone who generally prefers control schemes that use the entire controller and cramming the biggest moveset possible into it, e.g. Okami and Bayonetta.

Oh, are the (are we spoilering the end of the credits?)
PSN names at the end in order? I apparently met like seven people, but I think that's because I paused to go clean the kitchen, and I think I played most of the game with one person, and I wanted to message them

I think the fact that your companions' PSN IDs are revealed during the credits is widely known.

Fun fact: the symbol that your companion chirps is on that aforementioned list. It will help you identify who's who if you pay attention. There are also 21 different chirping symbols which correspond to the powerups which make your scarf longer!

Leeness

I think the fact that your companions' PSN IDs are revealed during the credits is widely known.

Fun fact: the symbol that your companion chirps is on that aforementioned list. It will help you identify who's who if you pay attention. There are also 21 different chirping symbols which correspond to the powerups which make your scarf longer!

Eh, I wasn't sure. Better safe than someone yelling at me later, haha.

I didn't remember the symbol they chirped :( I just messaged the last guy on the list and we'll see if he/she responds with "YEAH WE TOTALLY FINISHED TOGETHER" or "Who are you?"

FINALLY got my
white cloak
! My partner the second time round helped me to find all the other missing stuff for my trophy run as well as finishing the game together.

So awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
where you first enter the cave (not sure what you'd call it) and first encounter the snake creatures.

Surfing into that ruined city, and the camera pans to the side and the color shifts and the setting sun lights up the path in a way that is visually so inspiring as to defy description
Climbing the mountain, the rumble (i.e. your heart beat) slowly and steadily declining, until eventually your heart stops... and you collapse, dead.
That part with the snake creature thing spotlight. My companion at the time ended up caught in it and just got swatted across the map, and I audibly said "oh shit" out loud because I literally didn't think there was anything that could even touch you. And the spotlight follows like a motherfucker and I was getting the feeling that if I made noise it would quickly hear and rush the spotlight toward me. It was so fucking awesome

Shearie

I just hope people realize I'm cynical and critical because I actually believe the things I'm deconstructing deserve that cynicism and criticism... I don't do it for the purposes of just being contrarian for devil's advocate sake or something. I prefer to participate in topics where people disagree with me, because those discussions are more interesting and because I know what i think. I don't need people to repeat what I already feel, I do need to hear what people who think differently than I do feel and try to understand their perspective. It's why people think I'm negative about everything, because I choose to participate in discussions where I have something to be negative about.
I've always felt that your cynicism has been very genuine and that you're not some forum troll trying to rile people up. My comment was more about how affecting Journey seems to be that even someone that's usually so cynical about games can write such superlatives about it.

For this game we got the best of both Amir0xs; dismissive of all gameplay in Journey as being hollow and unchallenging to loving the whole as a wonderfully unique and top-tier videogame experience. Although whenever I think of Journey I can't help but think of it as the world's most beautiful barking simulator :)

Leeness

Really, I could say the whole game.

But... (ending spoilers)
probably near the end. Just how trudging through snow with someone else really brings you close. You huddle behind the stones together against the wind and chirp quietly at each other. You bond against the monsters around (the round I just played, I thought I was under one of those hiding places, but I must have been peeking out, because one spotted me and beat the hell out of me and my partner ran over to me and just chirped and chirped and ran around me until I got up). And then as you're going up the end, as you're both dying, you try to stay as close as you possibly can.

The entire ending is my favourite, though. The ~resurrection~ bit is just awe inspiring. It makes me so so happy at the end, the music, how bright it is and how you can just fly forever. And when you had a partner, how you can basically dance in gold together to the final door.

I love this game. :')

Shinjiru

Finished my second playthrough tonight and I enjoyed it just as much as the first. Some games I play and enjoy, but they leave no lasting impression on me. I play it. I enjoy it. I move on and forget most of it.

I don't see that happening with Journey. This is going to last.

Cartman86

Banned
Wow. I don't know what to say here. I'm glad I played with another person my first time through.
Huddling behind those stones against the wind with another player (fuck you Chrono Trigger) was amazing.

Everything else that has been said about it has already so the only other thing I'll say is I like that the metaphor I got from it works for a large variety of world views. From the religious impulse of looking toward the divine, to the naturalistic/atheistic from the earth (and stars) we are born and into it we will die.

I do not know what to make of it, I do not think this is the way games should be, but I do think this is one of the most fascinating and provocative experiences on a gaming console that there has ever been. If this does not deserve conversation, if this does not demand attention, something is very very wrong in this gaming world.

I'm struggling to remember the last time I had that kind of genuine wtf reaction to a game. Mario 64 maybe. This thread has me ridiculously stoked.

KingK

most of the time when GAFers demand I try something despite my clear reservations with something and clear critiques and problems with said product, it always ends in miserable failure: See FFXIII-2, see Nier, etc etc. It's so rare that I'm wrong about my own opinions, because I am intimately familiar with what I like and don't like and what is valuable in gaming and what is not. I understand you're teasing me, but I just thought this should be clear ;)

WHOA, WHOA, WAIT...WHAT? Ami ended up liking this game? I remember you really ripping on the game earlier. If it even changed you're decision, I can't wait to play it. I'd love to play it high as fuck right now but my roommate is sleeping. damn

Amir0x

Banned
yeah I genuinely, really ended up enjoying the experience immensely. I just think I have settled on it being the exception to the rule, I don't think such abstract 'gameplayless' titles would work in virtually any other concept I can imagine, but here... it just does. It comes together. It works, and variously you will experience moments that just unequivocally show why this product deserves to exist as distinct from other games entirely. I played the demo and I understand now why it didn't click. In this game, when you're replaying two screens over and over again, and they're the screens with the most obnoxious 'walls'... it's where you least understand its intended direction. It will just be a boring, aimless experience. You cannot segment a piece of the experience and get it to 'work.' This is a package where absolutely every little block slots into place like the world's most delicate jigsaw, a diminishing work of art that can wither and float away on the wind at the whim of any little problem. And somehow, perhaps desperately even, thatgamecompany avoided those problems. They polished and re-polished, and knew precisely with an almost Nintendo-like prescience what would matter or not to the player in this focused experience.

It's the most beautiful game that has ever existed. Art is subjective, but it is safe to say that someone who believes this is anything but a game of extreme visual prowess is someone who must be immediately made suspect in the discussion of art direction. The soundtrack is just knock-you-on-the-floor gorgeous. One of the best original soundtracks all generation. Not a note underutilized for purpose, not a melody that seemed out of place or inappropriate. Even now I hear it, hauntingly foreboding the trip to come. Not one second is wasted and it overstays its welcome for not even the most infinitesimal of time scales. It is worth every cent of $15 and probably every cent of $60, and it is worth GOTY and it is not worth GOTY: it just exists, it is impossible to describe it without sounding pretentious, and it makes even Amir0x's weapon grade-cynicism borderline irrelevant.

And, most startlingly, it made me rethink my entire perspective on what type of games might occasionally be fun, despite myself. I really am glad I was wrong here. This is why I love games, because sometimes, no matter what I think, the stars will align with the planets, and Amir0x will be rendered speechless during a project that is so gracefully done, it finally answers definitively the question of "games as art."

It's time to stop saying 'art games' are some inherently hipster label and get used to the idea. Feels good man.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
...and Amir0x will be rendered speechless during a project that is so gracefully done, it finally answers definitively the question of "games as art."
iI9T2.jpg

But I am glad Amir0x appreciated this fine piece of game.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm really glad you enjoyed it Ami, dare I even request you give Flower a second glance with your perspective shift?

Despera

Banned
Did someone hack Amir0x's account? :O

no that game just blows straight up :p
Guess not ;)

Won't be near any PS3 till Wednesday, but I shall get this game as soon as I'm back home. Already convinced two of my friends to do the same.

All I hope is that I don't get matched up with people who already played the game multiple times.

Amazed how Journey has been able to make Amir0x rethink his foundaments about gaming.

For me, when I see again any Journey trailer, i get intense feelings remembering the experience. Feels good.

About the parts that I enjoyed more, is very similar to Amir0x ones:

Surfing level was intense and beautiful.
First time that I get caught by an enemy I was shocked, I didn't even though that you could get hit.
The whole last level. Going with a partner was amazing. We were going together, in the rought parts, feeling that we need to be together to get some warm of our bodies. And the last steps were very intense.

And also, a couple of times I lost my partner and I started looking for him, or climbing to high places to look where he was. When I saw him, in the distance, calling for me, was a great relief.

StuBurns

Banned
All I hope is that I don't get matched up with people who already played the game multiple times.
You can tell if someone has played the game before, if their cloak has lots of gold pattern work, they've already finished it. Just walk away from those people.

I understand this concern, but can't you remedy this problem by playing solo? I understand the desire to be matched up with people who are also experiencing the game for the very first time. But the only way to guarantee a complete and total freedom from any hints or guidance is to play without companions at all.

Also, not all of us who have gone through multiple times are leading the way or frustrating efforts to explore. I'm quite content to follow my fellow traveler around, especially if I can tell it's their first time through an area.

I thought the bits underground with the
flying snake creatures
was genuinely intense, didn't expect it at all!

The bit where you drop down into there was amazing too, the shift in colour to that rich blue, it reminded me of the Aladdin animation

StuBurns

Banned
I'll be away from computers for the next few days, and I didn't want to splurge too much directly after playing it, wanted to give it a few days to see how I felt. But I'm fairly convinced Journey is the best game I've ever played. Thanks to the TGC guys and gals, it's really quite remarkable. And enjoy it first time GAFfers to come.

Despera

Banned
I'll be away from computers for the next few days, and I didn't want to splurge too much directly after playing it, wanted to give it a few days to see how I felt. But I'm fairly convinced Journey is the best game I've ever played. Thanks to the TGC guys and gals, it's really quite remarkable. And enjoy it first time GAFfers to come.
So Ico's finally dethroned?

Can't wait to experience it for myself. Perhaps I should play it solo the first time.

Its certainly one of the best experiences i've had this gen, and I can declare that with certainty. The surrealism of it is just breathtaking. Throughout the game, my thought and mind were just racing all over the place.

On another note, I skimmed through the thread and I saw that some people suggested to play the game solo at first. For the most part I would have agreed, but thinking back now, my mind has changed. I had such an awe-inspiring moment in the latter half:

*Location and Ending Spoilers!*
In the snow portion, me and a fellow cloth were somewhat banded to each other in the early part of the way up. As we climbed higher and the wrath of the weather/danger began to hit, we were clinging together. It was enchanting to see/feel the struggle between the red warmth and blue cold. When we finally got to the latter half, we were glued together even when we knew our cloth were becoming lifeless. ;_;

I can't say that I regret playing it in co-op and I wanted to play my first playthrough solo. In a way, i'm starting to think this was the sole intention of including the online portion of the game. Just MASTERFUL. Thanks TCG.

P.S. I need this game on my Vita OLED. Neeeed. Anyone know if remote play is supported?

Top Bottom