• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Well, I beat it. Opinion hasn't really changed. "This game is pretty" is basically all I was thinking the entire time. I didn't feel a sense of companionship or anything like that. If anything, being with another person kind of felt like a distraction to me. I would have much preferred to explore on my own. I'll replay it offline to see if my opinion of the game changes.

I think Flower may have set the bar too high (in my opinion) when it comes to these kinds of games. So many elements converging in that gave me chills at multiple points and almost brought me to tears. I didn't even come close to feeling that here even if I did like it a decent amount.

Anyway, I'd post the other journeymen I met, but I feel like they'd be offended by this post if anyone is here, especially if they were hit with a flurry of emotions while I was just going through the motions, so I'll leave it at that.

Ra1den

3rd playthrough completed, came across my first
white robe
. He was really cool, he helped me across the incomplete bridge and took me to the flower and other hidden stuff. For some reason he didn't enter the warp at the end of the tower level after I did, so I had to finish without him. Found another partner, but was pretty sad about that.

Had a weird thing happen where my partner stopped moving during the final snow part, not sure what happened. Like he was just standing there. He ended up coming into the final level with me also, still just standing/floating there. Was really weird. Did he pass out from overstimulation or what?

After wrapping that up, I decided to start another playthrough and warped back to the tower to go orb hunting, and I spent forever trying to find the last one. One player who had only completed the game once came by and was on his way to the warp, and I chirped to him to go on without me. To my surprise he followed me as I turned back, and he led me to the orb I couldn't find. We continued and finished the game together, chirping almost nonstop. It really is great to have a cool partner.

Satch

Banned
After wrapping that up, I decided to start another playthrough and warped back to the tower to go orb hunting, and I spent forever trying to find the last one. One player who had only completed the game once came by and was on his way to the warp, and I chirped to him to go on without me. To my surprise he followed me as I turned back, and he led me to the orb I couldn't find. We continued and finished the game together, chirping almost nonstop. It really is great to have a cool partner.

i dont know why but this is really adorable

Hyperbole be damned. Just finished this and have to say it was one of the most incredible, if not the most incredible, gaming experiences I've ever had. Just a truly amazing piece of work and deserving of every bit of praise it gets.

Kudos and thank you to tgc, they really are a talented bunch of people.

Really surprised me that I played with 5 people when I thought I was playing with the same person the whole time!

i only need two more glyphs and every time i play i end up meeting somebody and playing through with them instead of exploring/restarting the level
one of those glyphs is in the downhill slopes bit
. damn my good nature :D

Lissar

Reluctant Member
No way, I know I'd be ecstatic to receive some art from one of my companions.

I hope I have other inspiring journeys so I can draw even more :D

Just wanted to emphasize how much I love this.

Excellent!

Thank you! :O

damn i only need two more glyphs and every time i play i end up meeting somebody and playing through with them instead of exploring/restarting the level
one of those glyphs is in the downhill slopes bit

Play offline until you get it? That's what I did for my missing stuff after my first playthrough.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
2nd play through done, got some more trophies me and one guy basically did the whole game together. He kinda sucked but was still awesome. Gonna get all trophies on this one I think.

Re-bought Flower as well gonna rock that shit afterwards.

Started playing at midnight knowing I needed to be in bed within 30 minutes or so, but I just couldn't put the controller down. Now, here I am, posting here for the first time in months, because the game is that damned captivating. I can't wait to get another 2 or 3 play-throughs in over the weekend and start working on these trophies/finding all the orbs.

That was my best gaming experience since Braid, and for almost entirely opposite reasons.

ultrazilla

Just finished playing the game and met terwil04 and He4art. :)

One of the most amazing, emotional game experiences I have ever had(and I'm 40!)

If you have a PS3, you MUST buy and play this game. It is soooo good. Wow. Just awe-inspiring.

Edit. Oh and if you want to find out who played with you during the game, you must wait until the very end of the credits. Glad I did!

Chuckie

What I also like is how fast you understand what the other wants.. (I'll spoiler this just to be sure)

I wanted the trophy where you have to meditate together for 20 seconds. I saw someone in the first level... I chirped a couple of times and sat down.... he instantely sat down next to me... waiting untill I got up.
After that he walked up the bridge.. which hadn't finished yet... so I instantely knew he wanted to cross it for the trophy.
It took soooo long... we both almost made it but fell down.
Then we made the leap again... I reached it.... he fell.

I felt sorry for him, so I jumped down the bridge and after that we crossed it together. He didn't 'need' me to cross it.. but I felt I had to be there for moral support.

ultrazilla

Tence-awesome!

When the other player and I reached
the underground area with the flying dragon thing....it locked onto me and dove which threw me back through the air sending my lifeless body face down into the sand. I thought I was dead and wasn't touching any buttons when I saw my partner frantically chirping away trying to get to me. I moved the stick and slowly got back to my feet. He seemed really happy jumping up and down chirping away. :) I really thought I was dead at that point....wow.

I just played leader for the first time. I usually follow, but I guess the
white cloak
makes me look important now. Haha.

I think it said the user I played with was Nugoranta. I am probably remembering wrongly. Either way, we played all the way from the bridge to the end! I tried to show off all of the secrets, but you followed so expertly it felt like you probably already knew everything I was doing!

It also listed Komrade_Thirteen, but I think that is the fellow I completed the bridge on and then realized he wanted to get across without it. Oops!

Whoever you were, it was a wonderful experience, and you are a tremendous pal. I'm glad you stuck with me, all the way through! Even when I got lost in the desert looking for the
flower from Flower
. And I forgot to show you the
creature from flOw
! Sorry!

Our little chirps and songs were the best!

ChryZ

Wow.

I got abandoned at a critical time. It made the final moments of the game that much more emotional.

Journey is fantastic.
I went back, kept looking, tried to help ... but it was too late. Pushed on and finished the Journey for the both of us. Hope to see you again in another life, dear stranger.

Roxas

Ha, i have been on a total blackout of the game so i had no idea there was "co-op" in the game. I thought the guy following me was just an NPC, then it dawned on me that this isnt an AI, its a real person following and helping me out. It was so cool, we did a couple of "levels" together and got to the sand sliding part. Unfortunatly i lost him/her at that point and i actually felt quite sad about it, i wanted to continue and complete the game with this person.

Gonna continue on now and hope i find someone like that again.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Still feeling inspired, did another quick sketch:

journey2.jpg

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Goddamn Lissar, that is awesome!

You know what would be even more awesome... one that coincidentally has the sixe 1600X900 ^^;;;

Ironically the original is exactly... 1500x1000! Hahaha. Hmm, I don't know how it would work if I tweaked it to fit... I don't really want to add/cut anything.

Great stuff, Lissar. Keep drawing. :)
Now we need to get orioto and m0dus in this too and we'll be set.

Thanks :D I have another one started and a few more in mind... once I opened the flood gates I just want to draw everything I experienced!

Chuckie

Ironically the original is exactly... 1500x1000! Hahaha. Hmm, I don't know how it would work if I tweaked it to fit... I don't really want to add/cut anything.

Thanks :D I have another one started and a few more in mind... once I opened the flood gates I just want to draw everything I experienced!

I didn't mean cutting this one up... I mean't a future one :p hahaha

Well, I'm leaving on my six-hour journey to D.C. to see the Smithsonian's new Art of Video Games exhibit. I can't believe we don't have a thread on this (unless I'm blind).

Robin Hunicke from thatgamecompany will be featured in an event talking about game development, specifically Journey. Hope I can get in.

Soul_Pie

Just finished the game, took me about one and a half hours. Beautiful game, wish I'd taken the time to explore a bit more and make it last but I was too caught up in getting to that strangely alluring summit. Anyone else get a bit of a lord of the rings vibe from the game?

I loved the co-op component, although it didn't feel like co-op more just fellow travellers on an epic journey. We weren't helping eachother out so much as having a shared experience. All in all I had about 8 people go along with me, although I wish someone had stuck around for longer.

So many great moments, it's a short game but there are so many breathtaking points where your heart is in your mouth and you're just in awe.

I'll probably play it again tomorrow once it's all sunk in a bit more. I'll try and collect everything this time.

Withnail

Just played it for the first time. WOW! Probably one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Absolutely beautiful visuals and sound, exhilarating gameplay, and the co-op aspect is simply brilliant.

Bravo TGC and Sony!

Shining

Just had my third playthrough and i'm in tears.
At the top of the mountain at the end, right where you can write in the sand with your footsteps, i made a big heart around my fellow companion and then he/she directly made one back
. Turned out the person was Japanese :)

ScOULaris

There are two scenes in particular from my first playthrough a few days ago that continue to stick with me:

• The last part of the sand surfing level, where the camera pans around to give you a side view of your character while the sun sets over the mountain in the background. The music swelling as my companion and I gracefully carved through the flowing sands in zig-zag patterns, chirping with excitement over what we were seeing, coalesced just perfectly on screen. That was the first moment in the game where everything just came together aesthetically in such an awe-inspiring way, and I could tell that my companion was just as taken aback as I was.
  • At the very end of the game, atop the mountain summit, my companion and I started on our final stroll toward the light. As we walked side-by-side down the narrow corridor, we took turns chirping in patterns. Even without words, it felt like we were both acknowledging that this was the end of a beautiful journey together. He was a great partner. One the final ascent, I got messed up and fell down one of the mountains. When I finally got back up to the top, he was right there waiting for me. As we got closer to the light, I inched toward him as if to hold his/her hand. He did the same. So the final image that capped off my first, memorable playthrough of the game was the two of us disappearing into the light shoulder-to-shoulder while chirping back-and-forth with one another.

That last one, especially, will probably always stay with me as one of my favorite gaming memories.

MrCow

i finally got all trophies except the "one week login trophy"

great game i really love it!

i cant wait for thatgamecompany's next game

Chopper

[*]
The last part of the sand surfing level, where the camera pans around to give you a side view of your character while the sun sets over the mountain in the background. The music swelling as my companion and I gracefully carved through the flowing sands in zig-zag patterns, chirping with excitement over what we were seeing, coalesced just perfectly on screen. That was the first moment in the game where everything just came together aesthetically in such an awe-inspiring way, and I could tell that my companion was just as taken aback as I was.
Oh man, this. First time I saw that, my jaw literally dropped. "Holy shit, that is amazing", were the words that came out of my mouth. I'm not sure that's happened to me whilst playing a game before.

Ravage

I'm such an idiot for not buying Journey earlier. This is an experience that i literally have difficulty describing with mere words.

For those who are still on the fence, i'll just say this: Journey is the real deal, buy it.

Oh and this was the quote that changed my mind and got me to buy the game. Thanks Amirox.
I just beat this game.

I was wrong. I was wrong. Everything I said about this game was wrong. I don't know what changed, I'm not even sure I can articulate what changed, but I was wrong. This is the first time I am actually rendered speechless by a game and literally cannot find the words to explain the type of reaction it renders unto the player. I played with my fiancee (she played one screen, I would play the next), and it was some sort of transcendent experience, a game whose name could be nothing else; a game which defies the very criticism I am so fond of. I do not know what to make of it, I do not think this is the way games should be, but I do think this is one of the most fascinating and provocative experiences on a gaming console that there has ever been. If this does not deserve conversation, if this does not demand attention, something is very very wrong in this gaming world.

They stunned me into submission and forced me to rethink my rigid gaming structural requirements... and I don't know if I can go back.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Guess I can't be too surprised at Gabe's response:
@cwgabriel said:
Just tried Journey on the PS3. That's certainly a...thing.
since he's been pegged by the internet as something of a very visible metre stick of the great unwashed, but will be interested to see if Tycho has any words to share on it if his seemingly paralysing leaning towards all things Microsoft these days doesn't keep him from playing it.

I also feel sorry for anyone that plays this game and then uses the word pretentious. To have such animosity towards experiences speaks a little too much about a person than it does the game proper.

neoism

guys I need help. I'm on my third play-through. and I got to the chapter select... how do I use it to go to a level to find the missing symbols... I went the
surfing level
and got two symbols I was missing, but when I finished the level and see saving, I used chapter select and I go back the to first chapter with just one symbol. :/ Does it still count that I got them or not?

I really thought the multiplayer would be a detriment to the game, but I really think it's the game's singular bit of brilliance.

The one thing online multiplayer adds to gaming is that touch of organic randomness, and that variety is exactly what's necessary to make repeatable content interesting. It's the only thing that makes the current crop of MMOs tolerable for months at a time, and this game basically takes online co-op down to purest simplicity, to the great benefit of the players and the gameplay.

UrbanRats

I also feel sorry for anyone that plays this game and then uses the word pretentious. To have such animosity towards experiences speaks a little too much about a person than it does the game proper.

I think the game can't be considered pretentious, since it's very careful in not being annoying with its metaphors and allegories (something i can't say for other "artsy games" such as Braid.. that i love nonetheless).
Though i admit i can't wrap my head around some of the hype surrounding it.
I found it very very good, but i'm not getting this "i am devastated" level of emotional connection with it, as i read around (on other boards, too).
Though in the Kara thread, there was people tearing up for that one, so i guess it's.. you know, different strokes for different folks.
Again: Great experience (especially the multiplayer concept is handled masterfully), nothing against the game itself.

EDIT: That is to say- i can understand someone being underwhelmed or confused about the whole thing.

This game is flat out amazing. The graphics are gorgeous, and going through the game is such an experience. I love just going for a while and then some random person joins me. So, so, so, good. I can't wait until I can play some more today.

StuBurns

Banned
guys I need help. I'm on my third play-through. and I got to the chapter select... how do I use it to go to a level to find the missing symbols... I went the
surfing level
and got two symbols I was missing, but when I finished the level and see saving, I used chapter select and I go back the to first chapter with just one symbol. :/ Does it still count that I got them or not?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the tablet on the right side of the level select hub doesn't equate row for row as level to level or anything, so you can only use it as an indication how many are missing, not which levels they are missing in. If that makes sense.

Top Bottom