• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

AngryMoth

It's amazing how literally every frame in the game is so gorgeous. I just love swinging the camera around to observe how beautiful it is regardless of the angle. Without doubt the best looking game I've ever seen, pc included.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the tablet on the right side of the level select hub doesn't equate row for row as level to level or anything, so you can only use it as an indication how many are missing, not which levels they are missing in. If that makes sense.

But you can use the tablet to equate row to level as there are four rows on the left and two on the right. It's how I realized how many and what levels to go to prior to realizing that the stones in front of the altars also tell you how many symbols there are in a level.

Chitown B

I played through Journey last night in 1.5 hours. It was some of the best gaming I've experienced in that amount of time. The best multiplayer too - I felt truly connected to that other player whom I did not know at all. But we communicated the best way possible, helped each other out to get past spots and to find secrets. It was just magical. I'm sad it's over.

Best $15 you can spend right now.

StuBurns

Banned
But you can use the tablet to equate row to level as there are four rows on the left and two on the right. It's how I realized how many and what levels to go to prior to realizing that the stones in front of the altars also tell you how many symbols there are in a level.
There are eight levels in Journey, not six. Although one doesn't contain the symbols.
Those rows don't equate to levels.

ironcreed

Banned
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if you dislike such an experience, then you must hate feeling good. Either that or you are just cold as ice and have a hard time feeling anything. This accomplishes more in it's short time than the usual fare of 'mature' $60.00 blood n' guts, kill 'em all games do in their entirety.

Not going to be a hypocrite, I still love my blockbuster action games, RPG's shooters, etc. But I just feel that this is one of those one of a kind bar raising experiences that stands on it's own pedestal. No hyperbole or pretentiousness, either. This is just one of those rare, stand out games that people will remember for years to come. As should be evidenced by the reviews, as well as all the comments here.

StuBurns

Banned
How do you get eight when I believe there are six level gates? Just curious.
There are six level gates, when you are in level 1 already, and the gate to the next level is directly in front of you.

There are also not four symbols in each level, there are often three, because the six lines of four are spread over seven levels.

EDIT: Maybe there are actually seven levels, but here's the breakdown...

Opening has 3
Bridge has 3
Dunes has 4
Sunken City has 4
Cave has 4
Tower has 4

With none in the last level. So the last two do equate to levels 5 and 6 directly.

Tex117

Banned
I will say, you do have to come into the game with an open mind.

If you play it waiting for the "Ok, game...amaze me with some arty stuff" you will miss the point entirely.

If you play it like you view a piece of art, the game will probably resonate with you more.

Tomodachi

Did anyone already mention Demon/Dark Souls? I think they have a pretty similar "sentimental" implementation of online features.

Needless to say, I feel Journey is a real masterpiece. The ultimate audio-visual-entertainment experience.
I loved Flower and it was the only game I ever got all of the trophies for (before Dark Souls, at least) but this is just a different whole level.

burgerdog

Still feeling inspired, did another quick sketch:

journey2.jpg

Beautiful.

You know what you must do. The side view sunset surfing section!

There are six level gates, when you are in level 1 already, and the gate to the next level is directly in front of you.

There are also not four symbols in each level, there are often three, because the six lines of four are spread over seven levels.

Ahh. I don't count the level select area as a 'level', more like an intro/hub. Then I count three gates on the left, one in the middle and two on the right, making it six levels total.

StuBurns

Banned
Ahh. I don't count the level select area as a 'level', more like an intro/hub. Then I count three gates on the left, one in the middle and two on the right, making it six levels total.
Well it does include symbols and two story boards. The game counts it.

There are seven levels. I don't know how you just added counting the first level, and still say six.

I will say, you do have to come into the game with an open mind.

If you play it waiting for the "Ok, game...amaze me with some arty stuff" you will miss the point entirely.

If you play it like you view a piece of art, the game will probably resonate with you more.

That's a good thing as well. As good as this game is(and it is REALLY good), I can't help but arch my eyebrow at some of the hyperbolic responses about in here. At its core, its still just a game that has rock solid gameplay design and an amazing presentation, with one of the better multiplayer components I've ever seen.

But its not some life-changing experience that will make you rethink video games and life and shit. It's just a REALLY cool video game. You have to go into it like that, and you'll get the most out of it.

And the first two areas are kinda boring, so stick with it

Well it does include symbols and two story boards. The game counts it.

There are seven levels. I don't know how you just added counting the first level, and still say six.

Again, I don't consider it a full level, but that's just me and I managed to make the rows/symbols in the hub work in finding which level to go to find everything. So don't sweat it too much.

StuBurns

Banned
Again, I don't consider it a full level, but that's just me and I managed to make the rows/symbols in the hub work in finding which level to go to find everything. So don't sweat it too much.
The rows don't equate to levels consistently though, that is my point.

I'm a little confused now, I can't find a guide that maps them directly, but the fact is, not all levels have four symbols, so there is no way they are all full rows.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, sorry, just checked, there aren't four in every row. But the first row is the 'hub' level.

ironcreed

Banned
That's a good thing as well. As good as this game is(and it is REALLY good), I can't help but arch my eyebrow at some of the hyperbolic responses about in here. At its core, its still just a game that has rock solid gameplay design and an amazing presentation, with one of the better multiplayer components I've ever seen.

But its not some life-changing experience that will make you rethink video games and life and shit. It's just a REALLY cool video game. You have to go into it like that, and you'll get the most out of it.

And the first two areas are kinda boring, so stick with it

LOL, no, it is not a life changing experience, but it certainly has an underlying message that clearly makes you ponder on the 'Journey' of life. As such, it is a beautiful experience, that is very much worthy of such praise.

Like any piece of quality art, it can evoke these kinds of responses. Which is proof-positive that games can very much be art, and when done right, can provide an emotional experience that is unique to gaming alone.

Journey is simply a beautiful accomplishment, and deserves every bit of praise that it is getting from reviewers and gamers alike. Were it just hyperbole, I don't think the reactions would be so overwhelmingly the same across the board.

Zeliard

I also now understand the people saying this is visually the most beautiful game they've ever seen. Some of those later levels, wow.

I particularly loved
the third level with the pink sands where you first meet those 'flying carpets'.
So incredible-looking that I had to just stare for a while. Also those parts of levels where
the sunglare is bouncing off the sand.
Mesmerizing.

Atolm

Just finished the game. The multiplayer is the best of this generation imo, along with Demon's and Dark Souls-

And the music. The music. Amazing.

neoism

Guess I can't be too surprised at Gabe's response:

since he's been pegged by the internet as something of a very visible metre stick of the great unwashed, but will be interested to see if Tycho has any words to share on it if his seemingly paralysing leaning towards all things Microsoft these days doesn't keep him from playing it.

I also feel sorry for anyone that plays this game and then uses the word pretentious. To have such animosity towards experiences speaks a little too much about a person than it does the game proper.

Just discovered him in this thread a few days ago..... loooove it, just got 3 of his latest releases. Amazing stuff.
Just finished my 3rd play through, and finally got the
white cloak

love it can't wait for a 4th play-through.

neoism

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the tablet on the right side of the level select hub doesn't equate row for row as level to level or anything, so you can only use it as an indication how many are missing, not which levels they are missing in. If that makes sense.

well I was asking what was the point of level select. if you can't take your progress with you. I had two or three symbols left on level 3, 4, and 5 I think. I just though I could like go to level 5 get the missing symbols and got back to the level select level. But it just went back the me have one symbol again. but it doesn't matter. I just played through it a 3rd time in like an hour and half... met 8 people, and got 3 trophies so alls good.

StuBurns

Banned
well I was asking what was the point of level select. if you can't take your progress with you. I had two or three symbols left on level 3, 4, and 5 I think. I just though I could like go to level 5 get the missing symbols and got back to the level select level. But it just went back the me have one symbol again. but it doesn't matter. I just played through it a 3rd time in like an hour and half... met 8 people, and got 3 trophies so alls good.
Odd, you certainly can use the level select to hunt for the symbols, the lithographs too. Maybe you have to finish the level before returning to the hub though.

You have to let the game save before going back to level select. Otherwise, yeah, you lose your progress.

Zeliard

Just finished the game. The multiplayer is the best of this generation imo, along with Demon's and Dark Souls-

And the music. The music. Amazing.

Not only was the music amazing from an aesthetic standpoint, but it was also paced magnificently along with the rest of the game. It hit the exact right beats at the exact right times.

Also loved that bit of foreshadowing. When you
are looking over your entire "Journey" depicted as a mural near the end, and then it pans to the large mountain, then down to the depiction of your character and you're on hands and knees. You know rough times are ahead.

The scene where you are
sliding sideways through the building, the rapidly descending sun framed in the background
is the most beautiful and breathtaking thing I have ever seen in a video game.

This.

And I mean...THIS.

Oh man. Yes. I kept wishing this game had a screenshot feature like Flow did.

neoism

Odd, you certainly can use the level select to hunt for the symbols, the lithographs too. Maybe you have to finish the level before returning to the hub though.

yep I did. I finished and waited for the saving in the top right corner. Then I went the level select, and I was back at 1 symbol again... not sure wtf but o'well. :p

Chopper

Just finished my 5th playthrough. I'm beginning to get a little bit burnt out, but that's my own fault. It's the most wonderful gaming experience I've had in a long, long time. Thanks TGC.

Only one trophy left to get. See you in a week, Journey!

Tex117

Banned
Oh, Im not saying this is some life changing event or anything. My post was merely towards the gamer that somehow found himself playing Journey after a 3 hour marathon of Call of Duty or something.

If you go in thinking "THIS WILL BE ART AND SPEAK TO ME" you may not get a whole lot out of it.

If you view it as you would some kind of art or listen to some types of music (and not a deathmatch in Halo), then a gamer may get more out of it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
But its not some life-changing experience that will make you rethink video games and life and shit.

of course not - but it reinforces
what life is all about: a series of ups and downs, which you'll share with a partner. In many cases one of you will end up alone, one of you will witness the other die before the other one does. You will be left to struggle alone to the end.

After i finished the game i wanted to be with my wife. But it's 2:16am. And if there's a long scarf anywhere in the house, she'd stuff it down my throat and then hang me with it at this time of morning if i wake her or my son up.

Anyways, it's probably not life changing for many people but it's still interesting

thought it was incredible. Expertly executed and absolutely gorgeous. For the record - i HATED Flower. This is an experience.

calder

Finished my first playthrough last night. Loved it. It was pretty funny how I played the game most of the way through before the "oh duh" moment hit me about what it seemed to me was going on. It just didn't occur to me to think too much about what was happening but with about 20 minutes to go - lets say during your final climb to the destination - it really hit me and I'll admit it was a damn pleasing feeling.

At first I was almost annoyed there was another random dude in the game with me, I felt like he was rushing though and and made me feel like I had to hurry to keep up even on my first playthrough. But when I finally just hung back enough I think I was paired with someone else on the next area who seemed much more interested in looking around. I felt like I bonded with that dude lol.

My one regret, after sticking close to that one guy for a few areas near the end we got separated. :( And while I wanted to wait or go looking for him I was so close to the end I just hurried on my own. In hindsight I really wish I'd waited around and looked for him more, after
struggling through the snow up the mountain side by side
with him it's a bummer he wasn't there for the last few minutes.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Beautiful.

You know what you must do. The side view sunset surfing section!

I thought about it, but I don't know if I can do it justice.

yep I did. I finished and waited for the saving in the top right corner. Then I went the level select, and I was back at 1 symbol again... not sure wtf but o'well. :p

Are you talking about the amount of length on your scarf? You can't keep that, you can only keep the ones you've found on the prologue level. But they are still logged on your symbols found list.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished it about an hour ago. Great game. Had me smiling throughout. Some of the environments were jaw droppingly gorgeous.

Gregorn

I got the 'meet 10 or more unique travellers trophy' on my first play through, so obviously I didn't have a great time co-op wise but everything else was great.

I met this one guy that I was communicating with by chirping in a '1-23, 1-23, 1-23' patten and they would reply in the same pattern. We got separated somewhere in the snow so I had to brace the winds all on my own, until I saw a figure in the distance walking around in a circle. I went over to them and went 'chirp-chirpchirp, chirp-chirpchirp' and they replied with repeated chirps. It wasn't my bro. :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I got the 'meet 10 or more unique travellers trophy' on my first play through, so obviously I didn't have a great time co-op wise but everything else was great.

I met this one guy that I was communicating with by chirping in a '1-23, 1-23, 1-23' patten and they would reply in the same pattern. We got separated somewhere in the snow so I had to brace the winds all on my own, until I saw a figure in the distance walking around in a circle. I went over to them and went 'chirp-chirpchirp, chirp-chirpchirp' and they replied with repeated chirps. It wasn't my bro. :(

I got that trophy my first time too. When were you playing? Me and someone else were communicating in the same way.

ScOULaris

So I know that finding all of the symbols unlocks the
white robe
, but does finding all of the hidden pictures (lithographs) unlock anything"

Tantalus

Neo Member
Probably my favorite game of this entire generation. I just played through it for the first time, and it was just astounding. I managed to stick with the same person for the entirety of the game, and the feeling of going on this arduous adventure together, and staying together to see it through, was amazing.

Not to mention the game's climax, which was just perfectly executed. Trudging through the snow together, our voices becoming quieter and quieter until we can't speak anymore, so close to our goal... And my companion falls down to his or her hands and knees. I'm thinking "oh no, don't tell me I have to finish this myself", but then I fall down too. Now I was starting to wonder, "what if the credits rolled right now?"

The explosion of colour and sound as my character soared upwards... I wasn't afraid of those dragon monsters anymore. It was an incredible feeling- I had to get out of my chair and move closer to my TV. The area that followed was just beautiful, and the juxtaposition with the harsh snowy environments made it even better.

I know it probably sounds cheesy, and not all people will see the game in the same way, but I had such a great time playing this, and the emotional attachment to my comrade really helped. Well done, Thatgamecompany.

Top Bottom