• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

BeeDog

Just finished it in one sitting. Pretty decent, on par with Flower which I also found absurdly overhyped (a.k.a. didn't sync with my taste). Graphically/aesthetically, it's incredible though, especially the music.

I don't feel I've wasted my money, but at the same time, it's hardly something I'll remember soon enough.

Just a quick question for all those who have finished/have read the trophy list:

Which is/are your favorite trophy(ies) and why?

My favorites are actually Mirage and Ancestors. I loved finding the yellow flower from flOwer and the creature from flOw. Of course Transcendence is awesome and Adventure was pure fun, but Mirage and Ancestors were so cool to find.

Just finished it in one sitting. Pretty decent, on par with Flower which I also found absurdly overhyped (a.k.a. didn't sync with my taste). Graphically/aesthetically, it's incredible though, especially the music.

I don't feel I've wasted my money, but at the same time, it's hardly something I'll remember soon enough.

This is a title that won't live up to it's hype that others are saying about it. I didn't read this thread at all, watched no media on it, and saw maybe one or two screen shots. I bought it from the quality of the developer. I went in blind and glad I did as I was overwhelmed with how great of a game it is.

I'm sure my opinion would have been different had I not been on a media blackout though and read this thread before playing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is a title that won't live up to it's hype that others are saying about it. I didn't read this thread at all, watched no media on it, and saw maybe one or two screen shots. I bought it from the quality of the developer. I went in blind and glad I did as I was overwhelmed with how great of a game it is.

I'm sure my opinion would have been different had I not been on a media blackout though and read this thread before playing.

Exactly. That's more of an individual problem. It's not my fault if someone wants to over saturate themselves in media or something. I like going in as open and non slanted as can be. Some thing I can succumb to like screenshots or probably a trailer that is not too big on spoilers but for the most part. I keep my head down on a game I don't want spoiled.

Just finished it, met about 6 people along the way. 100% satisfied with what I got versus what I paid, and that's only my first play-through.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Just free a random carpet and let him lead you to his friends, listen to his chirping and just let it go, you should reach them all :)

I had found all of them the first time, but it didn't unlock. I did it a second time and it did, thankfully :D

edit: Now aside from Return the only one I need is Companion :< I would have gotten it last night if my companion hadn't lost his connection. Ah well, I'll just have to keep playing.

burgerdog

I had found all of them the first time, but it didn't unlock. I did it a second time and it did, thankfully :D

edit: Now aside from Return the only one I need is Companion :< I would have gotten it last night if my companion hadn't lost his connection. Ah well, I'll just have to keep playing.

I need companion, too! Let's try to team up :D

Shining

Just finished my second playthrough. Got seperated from my companion right before the ending, but as i ascended the mountain i could see him standing up there waiting for me. We chirped like maniacs <3

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I need companion, too! Let's try to team up :D

Okay! I'm going to through the first area now. I'll be in a fully decked out white cloak and my symbol is the one that has two stair-like pieces at the bottom and two hook-like pieces at the top.

burgerdog

Okay! I'm going to through the first area now. I'll be in a fully decked out white cloak and my symbol is the one that has two stair-like pieces at the bottom and two hook-like pieces at the top.

Booting up the game, I'll have a white cloak as well. I'll let you know what my symbols are in a sec.

edit
Do you mean bridge by first area?

Ra1den

Does trying to team up like this actually work often? If it is something like Dark Souls with multiple servers then it may not even be possible, right?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Does trying to team up like this actually work often? If it is something like Dark Souls with multiple servers then it may not even be possible, right?

It's possible, but difficult. I've read that there are flags (like rebuilding the bridge) that help determine who you met up with. Your instance of the game has to align before you can meet up with someone.

Booting up the game, I'll have a white cloak as well. I'll let you know what my symbols are in a sec.

edit
Do you mean bridge by first area?

Sorry, didn't see this. I meant the area before you see anyone.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Played through in almost a single sitting last night.

Absolutely phenomenal.

My buddy and I got separated right at the end, I had to do the victorious mountain climb myself :(

Is there a reason to play again, aside from just enjoying myself?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I think the problem is that we're probably not in the same area so the game isn't matching us up. Want to try entering the bridge at the same time?

Hmm... I suppose we could do that... maybe try to enter the bridge area on the hour? Maybe try to put the last pieces of the bridge up first so that the instance will be more unique.

Ra1den

Played through in almost a single sitting last night.

Absolutely phenomenal.

My buddy and I got separated right at the end, I had to do the victorious mountain climb myself :(

Is there a reason to play again, aside from just enjoying myself?

There's plenty of things you probably missed, the glyphs and the glowing orbs.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Welp, I'm in Western Europe and I've been paired up with players from Japan. I too thought the online component would be restricted by region but I guess it's a global thing?

Yep, I've been paired with people from other countries as well.

edit: Yeah okay, I've been here for over 15 minutes and haven't been matched with ANYONE. I think it's not going to work.

boingball

Tip for the Companion Trophy:
If you jump via the level select to the snow level and then play from there to the end with the same companion you will get the trophy.

WallJump

Banned
Played with the first guy I met all the way through to the end. We went exploring, we chased each other surfing, huddled close together when it got dangerous... I think we sung to keep each other warm or something. We got right to the end together and it was freaking amazing knowing that it wasn't some AI but a real person on the other end.

THIS GAME

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Tip for the Companion Trophy:
If you jump via the level select to the snow level and then play from there to the end with the same companion you will get the trophy.

I have done that, but it didn't show up :/ I figured it had to be from the bridge area onward.

AUGH. Just met a new player (I've gone through once(twice now)), and we went through all the way to the end; never lost each other. So many amazing emotions
making that final ascent towards the light.
Got a message after too. Smalls76, if you're a gaffer, you're a good dude.

One of the best games of all time, seriously.

boingball

I have done that, but it didn't show up :/ I figured it had to be from the bridge area onward.

With the same companion? Strange.

I think it should not be too difficult to guide another player to the Journey with your Sensei status though (i.e. that other player will also not leave you).

Danielsan

Just finished my second play through. This time I played the entire game with a companion.
My fellow traveler already had a
white robe
so he knew what he was doing. We literally flew through the environments, both of us singing back and forth.

He nearly got
killed by one the sentries at the end. After which he only had 1 sliver of scarf left
. So glad we both made it two the end. Truly glorious.
After all was said and done we exchanged thank yous via PSN messages. So awesome how you truly get to bond over the course of 1.5 to 2 hours.

One again thank you Daica_ for the amazing Journey!

ibcFLHkYJhRIf.jpg

calder

Stupid ME3 is keeping me from this game too long.

I did play like 30 minutes last night. Really enjoyed the brief taste, but it was late and I managed to clip through some geometry and ended up stuck behind a cliff. So I'll have to start that second section/area/part again tonight I guess.

I did laugh a bit though, there was a guy in my area with me and we had both opened up a couple of bridges, but then he came looking for me in the little cave. I did the 'ping' thing and he clearly saw I was behind the rock and ran around the cliff face for a bit trying, I assume, to figure out how to get in. May have been confusing for him heh.

Danielsan

By the way. Could anyone tell me how to keep your scarf after a play through. I had to start from scratch on my second play through.

Where can I find which symbols I've found?

In the level select area, there are various rows of 'stones' that are either glowing or not. Glowing symbols mean you have them, dark ones mean you're missing them. Each row is a level in a game. Just find what's dark and go to the levels after having beaten the game.

Another way is in front of each altar, there are the same glowing stones - the stones indicate how many there are in each level. So no glow, no got.

Phosphor's got a guide in this thread and it's handy. For myself, I also used youtube and ign's guide if you need visuals.

By the way. Could anyone tell me how to keep your scarf after a play through. I had to start from scratch on my second play through.

You don't get to keep your scarf with each playthrough. Even white robes only have a set length after you get it. Best bet is to always find the symbols to get a longer scarf - applies to both whit & red cloaked players.

Danielsan

You have to rebuild it every time you play. I'm pretty sure there is no way to keep it.
Good to know. I figured I had missed something, but I guess not. Will try to get my
white robe
on Saturday. Flying around in this game is so unbelievably satisfying. Especially when you hit that perfect tandem of recharging and flying between one and other.

Good to know. I figured I had missed something, but I guess not. Will try to get my
white robe
on Saturday. Flying around in this game is so unbelievably satisfying. Especially when you hit that perfect tandem of recharging and flying between one and other.

Indeed. You feel like a couple of birds.

EGM1966

I got the companion Trophy playing from the surfing area onwards, hooking up with another player after the first surfing segment, so I don't think you have to be from Bridge onwards.

I played the opening then jumped from the arena to the surfing area. After completing from there with two companions along the way (never noticed when they swaped) I got the Trophy.

daica_

Neo Member
Just finished my second play through. This time I played the entire game with a companion.
My fellow traveler already had a
white robe
so he knew what he was doing. We literally flew through the environments, both of us singing back and forth.

He nearly got
killed by one the sentries at the end. After which he only had 1 sliver of scarf left after
. So glad we both made it two the end. Truly glorious.
After all was said and done we exchanged thank yous via PSN messages. So awesome how you truly get to bond over the course of 1.5 to 2 hours.

One again thank you Daica_ for the amazing Journey!

ibcFLHkYJhRIf.jpg

:D

Top Bottom