• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Really enjoyed part 1 of the Monday Night War doc. Man, a TWENTY part series is a lot! Like a Ken Burns documentary about the Monday Night War. Pretty epic. Gonna be a fun ride.

I was a 12 year old kid and loyal WWF fan in 1998 who hated WCW just out of principal. The only time I watched Nitro was after Russo went over and the show started getting crazy, ha.

Anth0ny

I got a PM from a mod, so I need to talk about some things.

We need to get our shit in order or else we're going to be NBA-GAF'd. And that'd fucking suck. This is our home, so we need to get our house in order and get our shit together.

It starts with us here. So let's get shit back on track. Fix all this shit. Talk it out, beat it out, cry it out, whatever. Let's get past hating ourselves and enjoy some goddamn wrestling before we lose our home. We're not making some other place to go, we're not splintering anything, we're getting our shit fixed because we're not some Halo-GAF or some shit. Let's shape up.

So here's a list of things that I think will help, and I'd appreciate it if you all can help me out here because I like this goddamn community.

1. Don't threadshit OT threads about wrestling - If you ignore the threads you don't like, they will go away.

2. Let's tone down the vitriol towards each other, gimmick or not.

3. No more accusing people of gimmick posting unless your name is Horse. Because that was a goddamn gimmick and we all know it.

4. No personal attacks for a while, even in jest. Just let it calm down a bit.

We need to bring fun back, keep it playful, and not try to get one over on each other. We can have a decent goddamned community, but we're in danger now and we all need to rally and hit that hot tag to get Omerta back in action and the mods going back to ignoring us.

Will you all help me? I'll do all the things on that list.

I think right about now we could all use a good old, gif filled Strobogo review post

oh :(

JBL Face!! LMAO!!!

Fandango twerking.

Someone gif this

lol... Fandango got that one off.

lol this is amazing

I'm not your boy toy

Fandango > Ziggler

maggle the striations are getting to me
That was the best dance performance I've seen since Shawn Michaels at In Your House.

j5mYUhE72kG3Z.png

What the Dust brothers were looking at off screen.

Thanks for the spoilers, Ithil /Carnby

XenoRaven

Long past due. I don't think it's going to help though.

Gimmick post accusations come from the fact that people come into the thread just to shit on things that a majority of people here seem to like. Then when someone calls them out it gets turned into a joke that gets repeated for the next month. Nothing's going to change if that keeps happening.

Alucard

Banned
Just got home from Raw. Pretty good experience overall, but those first two hours were very hit or miss.

Good stuff:
-Opening segment (I think Reigns does what he needs to on the mic)
-Usos vs. Wyatts match
-Jerry Lawler intro and Bret Hart promo (great fire from Bret)
-Jericho vs. The Miz match (good story of Miz protecting his face)
-Jericho and Bray Wyatt promo exchange (amazing live)
-Rollins vs. Cena

Random observations:
-Cena is over. Now. Then. Forever.
-Cena merch is everywhere...TONS of kids, and even some women and...grown men. There is really no reason to have a Cena shirt as a grown man unless you have kids
-Kid beside me gave me the stink eye when I yelled "Come on, Seth!" during the main event
-WWE's pyro could make a person legit deaf
-still lots of Bryan merch around
-nobody gave a shit about Alicia Fox
-People want to like and cheer Cesaro, but he's being wasted with Heyman
-still too many CM Punk chants for my liking
-saw a woman in a Cena t-shirt, jean shorts...and sparkly high heels

The biggest thing I learned tonight is that the current WWE is definitely for kids and families. There's nothing wrong with that, but it really limits the verbiage older fans can use. Didn't like having to restrain myself for fear of parents reaming me out.

Also, the average fan doesn't really care about analyzing the product, but just saying "Wow, did you see that?" and then walking home with their new wrestling merch. That's the heart of fandom, but it makes for lazy writing.

Can't believe that show was 3 hours. Felt so much longer with all the filler from the thirty minute mark to the top of the second hour.

Check out my review of the Monday Night War:

Basically I thought it was really good, and showcases what kind of original content WWE needs to be producing for the Network.

Anth0ny

Random observations:
-Cena is over. Now. Then. Forever.
-Cena merch is everywhere...TONS of kids, and even some women and...grown men. There is really no reason to have a Cena shirt as a grown man unless you have kids

This totally stood out to me when I went to Raw last year, too. Either it doesn't get across on TV, or it's only in certain towns, but I was fucking amazed at how many parents and their kids were decked out in FULL Cena gear. Headband, shirt, wristband, towel, cap, t shirt, jean shorts... fuck.

There's a reason why his entrance is a walking commercial for his merch. Insane.

Except for all the awesome.

Seriously, if you don't like this, you probably just don't like wrasslin. This is fun, and easily the best thing he's ever done.

I dig this Miz character. Seems very confident and like he owns it. "Get ready for your closeup" could be a good catch phrase.

Yeah, he has like a Johnny Cage type gimmick, I like it. Plus he's the funny third wheel in the Jericho-Wyatt feud, he's not above humiliating himself for entertainment.

Alucard

Banned
This totally stood out to me when I went to Raw last year, too. Either it doesn't get across on TV, or it's only in certain towns, but I was fucking amazed at how many parents and their kids were decked out in FULL Cena gear. Headband, shirt, wristband, towel, cap, t shirt, jean shorts... fuck.

There's a reason why his entrance is a walking commercial for his merch. Insane.

Yeah, it really is an unbelievable phenomenon. Considering the staleness of the character, I don't get it, but live tonight I thought that Cena did a good job with promos and in the ring against Rollins.

Highlights for me tonight were definitely the Hart and Jericho segments. I think Jericho looks much better than his last run, and he moves quicker and smoother than that run too. The contrast between him and Wyatt is also intriguing, and his match with Miz was wonderfully worked. Best storytelling match of the night IMO.

gurudyne

Long past due. I don't think it's going to help though.

Gimmick post accusations come from the fact that people come into the thread just to shit on things that a majority of people here seem to like. Then when someone calls them out it gets turned into a joke that gets repeated for the next month. Nothing's going to change if that keeps happening.

Agreed, but there's a greyish area, too. When it's not outright threadshitting, problem's when people hit the line where you can't tell if they're trolling with their legit opinion or not. My "gimmick poster" complaints rarely had to do with the opinion itself, just the way it was presented; nothing wrong with having a dissenting opinion, but posting it like you're "Best Webpage in the World" Maddox then passive aggressively needling people who take issue with that creates a 'hostile environment' that led us here.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, he has like a Johnny Cage type gimmick, I like it. Plus he's the funny third wheel in the Jericho-Wyatt feud, he's not above humiliating himself for entertainment.

You're talking sense, and I totally agree with you. I just hope he's able to keep himself relevant once he moves away from being the third wheel in this feud. I'm not sure how they're going to do that unless this somehow leads to Miz and Jericho working together as multimedia stars to take out Wyatt. But that would give Miz face pops, which I don't think you want out of him as long as he's this Hollywood douche character.

We need to get our shit in order or else we're going to be NBA-GAF'd. And that'd fucking suck. This is our home, so we need to get our house in order and get our shit together.

It starts with us here. So let's get shit back on track. Fix all this shit. Talk it out, beat it out, cry it out, whatever. Let's get past hating ourselves and enjoy some goddamn wrestling before we lose our home. We're not making some other place to go, we're not splintering anything, we're getting our shit fixed because we're not some Halo-GAF or some shit. Let's shape up.

So here's a list of things that I think will help, and I'd appreciate it if you all can help me out here because I like this goddamn community.

1. Don't threadshit OT threads about wrestling - If you ignore the threads you don't like, they will go away.

3. No more accusing people of gimmick posting unless your name is Horse. Because that was a goddamn gimmick and we all know it.

We need to bring fun back, keep it playful, and not try to get one over on each other. We can have a decent goddamned community, but we're in danger now and we all need to rally and hit that hot tag to get Omerta back in action and the mods going back to ignoring us.

I agree this thread needs fixing, but part of me feels that things have already gone too far.

I have been posting in wrestling threads on GAF since 2004, and I literally have lost track about what this thread even represents anymore. Sometimes it is hard to understand what people in these threads are talking about as some in-jokes go so deep. At other times, people are seemingly acting grumpy for the sake of been grumpy, and others seemingly obviously happy about everything. These are not the reactions of normal humans, they are childish creations someone made up in their own head to get attention.

Sure, I fall into the same trap at times (making nonsense Maryse posts), but at least I take a break from it.

Having these threads active on GAF was one of the few reasons I continued watching WWE when the product was in a dark place, as it was fun to pick apart the nonsense that was on TV with others. Now it is more of a hassle to browse this thread to find the good posts than anything else.

The whole thread honestly feels like one big in joke that lost its appeal years ago. Trying to look at it from the outside, it is arguably one of the most unwelcoming communities on the entire forum, and at its worst it pushe old regulars out that were a source of great material,

None of the above can help the community thrive in the long run, which is disappointing as I feel the main wrestling product this thread talk about (WWE) is very welcoming to newcomers at the moment. We should try to be the same

Alucard

Banned

I'm in.

Gorillaz

already lost NBAgaf and it has never been the same since, so yea I'm in

Bry-Force will shoot when shot from here on out. Aight?

Or you could just be the bigger man about it. And if by Bry-force, you mean getting super-defensive about Bryan when someone says something negative, maybe it's best that you just let some criticism slide -- or at least realise that differences in opinion are fine.

Or you could just be the bigger man about it. And if by Bry-force, you mean getting super-defensive about Bryan when someone says something negative, maybe it's best that you just let some criticism slide -- or at least realise that differences in opinion are fine.

ok look, i wanted legit debate out of Bryan stuff. I.e. wanted to root out the "cause he sucks" argument. That's what really grinds me, and wanted to explore such reasoning. But I guess it's just some type of brick wall and really, you're just not gonna please everyone. Fine, whatever.

MC Safety

I can see where the mods are coming from, although it's odd whoever it is didn't relay this message publicly.

Wrestlegaf is way too insular. And I can understand the concern about the gimmick posting because at times it seems way too, uh, gimmicky.

Top Bottom