• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Sid

It's over for Reigns. cena activated his vampiric powers.

tumblr_n8di5osohm1srbyoyo1_1280.png
Burial at a random PPV confirmed,WHAT HAVE THEY DONE!?

I've never been on the Bo Dallas hype train, but the way he ran over El Torito was pure comedy. Old school wrasslin trolling.

Roman Reigns' push so far is eeehhhhhh. I'm not sure if he has what it takes to take control and make the push his own. Feels very formulaic right now.

What a load of horse dung.

I got a PM from a mod, so I need to talk about some things.

We need to get our shit in order or else we're going to be NBA-GAF'd. And that'd fucking suck. This is our home, so we need to get our house in order and get our shit together.

It starts with us here. So let's get shit back on track. Fix all this shit. Talk it out, beat it out, cry it out, whatever. Let's get past hating ourselves and enjoy some goddamn wrestling before we lose our home. We're not making some other place to go, we're not splintering anything, we're getting our shit fixed because we're not some Halo-GAF or some shit. Let's shape up.

So here's a list of things that I think will help, and I'd appreciate it if you all can help me out here because I like this goddamn community.

1. Don't threadshit OT threads about wrestling - If you ignore the threads you don't like, they will go away.

2. Let's tone down the vitriol towards each other, gimmick or not.

3. No more accusing people of gimmick posting unless your name is Horse. Because that was a goddamn gimmick and we all know it.

4. No personal attacks for a while, even in jest. Just let it calm down a bit.

We need to bring fun back, keep it playful, and not try to get one over on each other. We can have a decent goddamned community, but we're in danger now and we all need to rally and hit that hot tag to get Omerta back in action and the mods going back to ignoring us.

Will you all help me? I'll do all the things on that list.
Is this a work?

Show us the PM. This ain't real, why would they message you? Jeez, the ego on this guy.

Everyone knows I'm the king around here. Mods direct your PMs to me.

I'm confused. Why are you happy about this? Since you watch the product, isn't it in your best interest for it to do well?

Plus, it may not be perfect, but I think the Network itself is certainly worth supporting. It's how I wish all sports companies would work. If I could get a similar product with NHL, I'd be ecstatic.

Wrestling fans are the only group of people I know who would say PPVs are a ripoff at $60 and should be $20 (as I said constantly at the time.) When the WWE lowers that to $10 a month and adds a pretty great on-demand library that will only grow with time, people actively want it to fail.

Why? If you just don't like the current product, then stop watching Raw and watch the old stuff on the Network itself. The Network is great, and people who want it to fail kinda bother me.

If you don't like the old stuff on the Network, then... I guess you just don't like (western) wrestling at all anyway, which means I'm further confused why you watch in the first place.
It's not for me. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it until October. Hence, my attitude.

Aiii

So not worth it
Guys we need to talk.

And more specifically we need to talk about sour graps "but he's not Daniel Bryan" comments. It's stupid. It's really fucking stupid. Daniel Bryan is great, he is. He is an amazing wrestler. He is a very mediocre mic-worker, yes, but he compensates well by delivering intensity in the ring. WWE for the longest time didn't think he had what it takes to draw crowds and they were wrong. He's not on the level of Cena and he probably never will be, but that's okay, nobody else is either. Some could be, but not all of them. That's fine. It's good. Bryan is great.

Bryan is also injured. In fact, Bryan is so injured there is no timetable on his return. Nobody knows when he'll be back and if he has another surgery it is pretty much guaranteed to be 6 to 12 months before he's back. There you go, he's gone.

Now with Bryan gone they need new people in the main event, they chose The Shield for this. All of The Shield. Spearheaded by Roman Reigns. "But he's not Daniel Bryan" you say. "They would never get behind Bryan like they are with Roman" you say. "He's still so green" you say. Guess what, you are right on all accounts. But here's the thing, it doesn't fucking matter Bryan this and it doesn't fucking matter Bryan that. Bryan is gone and he'll be gone for a while, there is no reason to be sour on someone else getting a push, they can't build a company around a guy that can't life a title belt over his head because he has no strength in his arms. It sucks to be Bryan, but it's time to move the fuck on. Really, it's time. Pick something else in WWE to like. Luke Harper or Eric Rowan might be good choices if your hung up on badly groomed wrestlers. Go for it.

Roman Reigns however doesn't deserve your hatred. He didn't usurp Daniel Bryan's throne. Bryan got injured and is out, that's not his fault. Roman Reigns is a good powerhouse wrestler, he's the most Goldberg they ever had since Goldberg. He has the look people like (BUT IT IS WWE TELLING THEM TO LIKE IT! No, no it isn't). Roman Reigns looks great, objectively as a straight man, he looks freaking amazing. I wish I looked like that. There's two types of Samoan's, the fat and flabby ones like The Uso's and the impressive muscled ones like Roman and Rock before him. Now is Roman the best mic worker? Nope. But he isn't any worse than Daniel Bryan and we're not blaming him from being mediocre on the mic.

What Reigns does have is look and charisma, undoubtedly his opening segment yesterday was GREAT. It was, his small promo had good intensity, the stuff afterwards with Kane was perfect. It's time to get behind Reigns, he's a great powerhouse babyface. He'll be the next Goldberg if they give him a slow burn, which they are. Good.

Reigns is awesome, get behind the guy!

Vylash

Baby girl, I'm not getting behind another top babyface with a limited moveset and shitty mic skills, we've been through that, hell we're still going through it, not again, Reigns needs to improve or get lost.

Guys we need to talk.

And more specifically we need to talk about sour graps "but he's not Daniel Bryan" comments. It's stupid. It's really fucking stupid. Daniel Bryan is great, he is. He is an amazing wrestler. He is a very mediocre mic-worker, yes, but he compensates well by delivering intensity in the ring. WWE for the longest time didn't think he had what it takes to draw crowds and they were wrong. He's not on the level of Cena and he probably never will be, but that's okay, nobody else is either. Some could be, but not all of them. That's fine. It's good. Bryan is great.

Bryan is also injured. In fact, Bryan is so injured there is no timetable on his return. Nobody knows when he'll be back and if he has another surgery it is pretty much guaranteed to be 6 to 12 months before he's back. There you go, he's gone.

Now with Bryan gone they need new people in the main event, they chose The Shield for this. All of The Shield. Spearheaded by Roman Reigns. "But he's not Daniel Bryan" you say. "They would never get behind Bryan like they are with Roman" you say. "He's still so green" you say. Guess what, you are right on all accounts. But here's the thing, it doesn't fucking matter Bryan this and it doesn't fucking matter Bryan that. Bryan is gone and he'll be gone for a while, there is no reason to be sour on someone else getting a push, they can't build a company around a guy that can't life a title belt over his head because he has no strength in his arms. It sucks to be Bryan, but it's time to move the fuck on. Really, it's time. Pick something else in WWE to like. Luke Harper or Eric Rowan might be good choices if your hung up on badly groomed wrestlers. Go for it.

Roman Reigns however doesn't deserve your hatred. He didn't usurp Daniel Bryan's throne. Bryan got injured and is out, that's not his fault. Roman Reigns is a good powerhouse wrestler, he's the most Goldberg they ever had since Goldberg. He has the look people like (BUT IT IS WWE TELLING THEM TO LIKE IT! No, no it isn't). Roman Reigns looks great, objectively as a straight man, he looks freaking amazing. I wish I looked like that. There's two types of Samoan's, the fat and flabby ones like The Uso's and the impressive muscled ones like Roman and Rock before him. Now is Roman the best mic worker? Nope. But he isn't any worse than Daniel Bryan and we're not blaming him from being mediocre on the mic.

What Reigns does have is look and charisma, undoubtedly his opening segment yesterday was GREAT. It was, his small promo had good intensity, the stuff afterwards with Kane was perfect. It's time to get behind Reigns, he's a great powerhouse babyface. He'll be the next Goldberg if they give him a slow burn, which they are. Good.

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=#wrasslegaf

come join us

we rag on Bryan's mediocre mic skills all the time. but I don't hate Reigns. he's just not giving me anything that makes me invested in him, aside from looking cool.

well, i guess it's back to an ambrose avi then. it was fun while it lasted.

Raw was alright, Cena/Rollins should've gotten more time. They gelled better than Ambrose/Orton.

Guys we need to talk.

No. Reigns is currently poor on the mic and average at best in the ring. Why should I get behind him just because Vince wants me to and a bunch of people swoon over his looks? I'm partial to great in ring performers, not green manufactured garbage. Reigns career in the WWE has been nothing but hot tags and spots up until this point, how about we see him put on a compelling singles match?

Also, I completely disagree that Reigns opening segment was "GREAT". His small promo was dull, and had to have "bitch" thrown into it in order to get a reaction. After that it was just your standard back and forth brawl.

At this point Reigns is still a major work in progress, and should be viewed as such no matter what his push is

Toki767

I think Reigns is going to really suffer from the IC and US titles being meaningless. They should really just have him hold one of those titles for a year and still booked strongly. He's just so obviously not going to be ready to be the actual main event by WrestleMania next year. And if his matches end up sucking, Cena will be main eventing even though Reigns is champion and we'll just have a repeat of every other champion that isn't Cena. Reigns has a lot of potential but WWE is doing him no real favors in helping him to get better.

Vee_One

This totally stood out to me when I went to Raw last year, too. Either it doesn't get across on TV, or it's only in certain towns, but I was fucking amazed at how many parents and their kids were decked out in FULL Cena gear. Headband, shirt, wristband, towel, cap, t shirt, jean shorts... fuck.

There's a reason why his entrance is a walking commercial for his merch. Insane.

THIS

I don't care for Cena. Evidently, I am the minority. I went to what would you consider a house show in Perth, Australia last year - Cena was by far the most over and moved the most merch. This was with Bryan also HUGELY popular w/Kane at the time.

There is no way they are ever going to turn Cena heel. Something definitely doesn't translate well on TV because that man is gold and most definitely #1.

You know what? I'm ok with that - because even though I don't care for Cena there is plenty else on the show that meets what I'm looking for. Rollins & Ambrose. Cesaro. Lesnar when hes around. Goldust / Stardust. For the first time in a long time there are wrasslers that I give a shit about and I'm interested to tune in

EDIT: and obviously Daniel Bryan. Hopefully he makes it back better than ever. I think quite a few people over here in wrasslegaf are being pretty awful towards him at the moment.

Jamie OD

I think I'm going to go broke if I go ahead and buy a bunch of the NJPW/Kinnikuman t-shirts. I should read through Kinnikuman again now that I think about it.

05261810_538304eb38071.jpg

The rest of that JWP show;

Chigusa Nagayo & Cutie Suzuki vs Devil Masami & Plum Mariko - (JWP 1993/11/18)

Akira Hokuto vs Mayumi Ozaki - (JWP 1993/11/18)

Kyoko Inoue vs Dynamite Kansai - (JWP 1993/11/18)

All three matches are real good, especially the tag match which has a real 'epic' feel, as Chigusa makes her JWP debut. The Ozaki/Hokuto stuff's pretty good, but overshadowed a bit by the Kyoko/Dynamite match which I really loved. Kyoko's toughness against Dynamite's brutality, awesome.

*edit, forgot to mention that freaking DDT from Kyoko;

Kyoko.gif

Jeeeeeeezus.

Phatmac

Reigns will be a top guy this year since the crowd is hot for him but I don't see him being the next big thing. He needs better mic skills and better direction in general. I still hope someone finally transitions to being the next guy though.

Top Bottom