• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Was the hate this strong for Brock Lesnar when he debuted green as grass?

Broken Lesnar's debut was a totally different beast. He had Paul speaking for him and he hit hugely impressive big guy spots as he decimated the roster. Brock had something beyond his look and Reigns doesn't. On top of that it's hardly as though we're in the middle of Reign's debut when he's been on the main roster for over a year and a half so I think it's fair to expect more from him on the mic or in the ring.

bjork

1. Don't threadshit OT threads about wrestling - If you ignore the threads you don't like, they will go away.

I would go a bit alongside this and say don't threadshit OT threads WITH wrestling. Any community specific derail is always a disaster.

I just remember him coming out and demolishing Jeff Hardy. And you know what? I'm okay with a legit collegiate wrestler devouring a spot monkey.

The one thing Brock had in his favour was that he looked dangerous - not just physically imposing, but he never had any trouble convincing people that he was a real threat to his opponent (and himself). Also, that amateur wrestling background.

Roman's fine, but I agree with whoever it was said he's being pushed to the top too fast - this is what comes from having mid-card titles that aren't worth a damn. There's no obvious progression any more, when it should be US/tag titles > IC title > WWE title. To find a IC champion who held the belt BEFORE becoming WWE champion, you'd have to go back to Dolph in 2010, then Punk in 2008, then Jeff in 2006.

Striker

Reigns will be a top guy this year since the crowd is hot for him but I don't see him being the next big thing. He needs better mic skills and better direction in general. I still hope someone finally transitions to being the next guy though.
If you watched WWE in 2004-2005, they were doing the same for both Orton and Cena. Of course Orton crossed the path of Triple H, and also ran into trouble with drugs and had a terrible attitude (still does). But Orton was groomed to be one of the bigger stars, despite his faults, so they would hang onto him. They were destined to push Lesnar hard but he ended up wanting to go elsewhere so they pushed Cena more and more throughout 2004. They did similar push with Batista, but he was older, obviously.

Point is, if they're going to have ideas down the road for a guy, like they do with Reigns, it doesn't matter if knows three moves, ten moves, or 1001 holds, they'll push who they want no matter who complains. Cesaro is one guy who has great skills, can talk on the level of Roman, if not better (though that standard is infinitely low), but they seem to be directionless with him. Pairing him with Heyman has been poor.

Wrestlemania 31 is puh-lenty of time to really groom Roman Reigns into the alpha A-1 top dog premium ultra clean sheen status he's destined to be and it's about time we embrace him for who he is instead of what he isn't.

He's the next Diesel.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wrestlemania 31 is puh-lenty of time to really groom Roman Reigns into the alpha A-1 top dog premium ultra clean sheen status he's destined to be and it's about time we embrace him for who he is instead of what he isn't.

He's the next Diesel.

He actually reminded me alot of Scott Hall yesterday. But yeah, all we're seeing now is prep-work for early 2015 push. As said, give Reigns a proper chance, he's gonna be huge.

---

On to interesting stuff, as per Bryan and Dave, here's a website where (former) WWE employee's explain what is cool and what sucks over at WWE HQ: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/World-Wrestling-Entertainment-Reviews-E5718.htm

"Green as grass", yet capable of working 15-20 minute main event singles matches in his first six months... Lesnar was and continues to be a freak of nature that nobody should be compared to.

Reigns on the other hand has been on the main roster almost two years and has yet to have a meaningful singles match. His match against Bray on Raw a few months back was just plain bad. I'm still waiting for Reigns to be more than a high spot or hot tag guy, but that has not happened yet

He actually reminded me alot of Scott Hall yesterday. But yeah, all we're seeing now is prep-work for early 2015 push. As said, give Reigns a proper chance, he's gonna be huge.

---

On to interesting stuff, as per Bryan and Dave, here's a website where (former) WWE employee's explain what is cool and what sucks over at WWE HQ: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/World-Wrestling-Entertainment-Reviews-E5718.htm

As someone who just saw face Razor Ramon act like a FUCKING DICK to a jobber by the name of Austin Steele, Comparing the two isn't the fairest assessment. I mean yeah he's called the bad guy, but nothing tells me that he represented the face of the company during that time and I don't think that's what they ever planned. I might be wrong, what do I know?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers WWE. Auto-renew stays off.

Was already bummed out by reading earlier in the thread about it only being 20 episodes, but now I've not even got a chance to try it before the subscription lapses. Brilliant move.
"Only" 20 episodes? You expected...more than a 20 hour documentary?!

Hasney

"Green as grass", yet capable of working 15-20 minute main event singles matches in his first six months... Lesnar was and continues to be a freak of nature that nobody should be compared to.

Reigns on the other hand has been on the main roster almost two years and has yet to have a meaningful singles match. His match against Bray on Raw a few months back was just plain bad. I'm still waiting for Reigns to be more than a high spot or hot tag guy, but that has not happened yet

When you think about it, that's all Cena is in most matches. I'm not saying Cena can't go by saying that, he's proven that when he wants to with the right opponent, he can put on great matches. But it's like Reigns has been raised into the same template of "You're going to be a star, pick 5 moves and that's all you need baby girl".

I think most of his single feuds are going to be him overcoming the odds after getting beaten by a big man most of the match, hitting his spots and then getting the win, much like Cena. The kids obviously lap that up, but it doesn't make good TV in my eyes.

Rollins provides some hope though. Otherwise, excepting a part-time Brock, the main event picture will have some dire matches for quite a while. It's a shame Jericho wasn't back earlier, as I'd much rather see him and Wyatt in the 4 way rather than Kane and Reigns.

I was hoping they'd just do a month of TV per weekly episode or so and compare them against each other. Something that could actually continue for a long time so you have over a year of programming there week on week, rather than something that will just last up until the next subscription renewal time.

Again, if the first episode was available in the archive, I'd be able to make a more informed decision prior to it starting, but they've not given me that luxury.

Alucard

Banned
I don't get the pessimism towards Reigns at this point. It's not like they're strapping him any time soon. Give the man a chance. I thought his work last night showed that he has the potential to cut an imposing promo. He has a great vocal tone that oozes cool. He has a great look. He has 3 easily identifiable big spots. How many guys can you say that about on the roster?

Kane? Nope. Chokeslam and tombstone.
Big Show? Nope. Knockout punch and chokeslam.
Orton? Yeah...draping ddt, powetslam, punt kick, and RKO
Rollins? Yeah...360 plancha, curb stomp, and buckle bomb
Cena? Yeah. AA, five knuckle shuffle, shoulder blocks, STF
Ambrose? Nope. Dirty deeds, rope rebound...?

Reigns can get there. We're watching him be tested with the ball just a bit right now. I'm enjoying creative giving him a bigger spotlight to see what he can do. It's fun as a fan to see him developing.

Reigns was also the last man out of the ring to end the show last night and he went around and high fived everybody around the ring. He wants this.

Mengetsu

Cons – The corporate culture is horrible! The culture is one of blame and CYA. It is an organization that claims that they want process and innovation when in reality it is one that is driven by live TV/Network and can't sustain a process driven model of anything-whether it's creative, development or financial. The digital team doesn't have enough experience and depth to bring any product to life successfully -at least one that isn't fraught with defects and significant failures. The leadership team didn't care about the individuals, only that they produced and made them look good-certainly not about the team. I may have learned a lot technologically but it wasn't worth the 60 hour work weeks and lack of support and appreciation for those efforts.

Seems legit. Also

Pros – The company is large, so you get a lot of desk space. It is located in CT, so they have private parking lot, which is amazing. The people are very nice.

Cons – There are strange insider gossips and something felt very wrong. People would speak behind each other's backs. I felt like there was something much more underneath that's going on than meets the eye of the beholder.

Dirt sheets :lol

Jamie OD

I think the fans who are pessimistic about Reigns are going to make it a self-fulfilled prophecy to turn on him. They are kind of just waiting for his Superman Push to kick in just to say "See, it's going to be John Cena all over again. I knew it. Boo! Reigns sucks!" What WWE has done with Reigns so far this year is exactly what they should do and that's to build him up slow and steady. The only faults so far were him spiking the drinks and probably getting more title shots than he should.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't get the pessimism towards Reigns at this point. It's not like they're strapping him any time soon. Give the man a chance. I thought his work last night showed that he has the potential to cut an imposing promo. He has a great vocal tone that oozes cool. He has a great look. He has 3 easily identifiable big spots. How many guys can you say that about on the roster?

Reigns can get there. We're watching him be tested with the ball just a bit right now. I'm enjoying creative giving him a bigger spotlight to see what he can do. It's fun as a fan to see him developing.

Reigns was also the last man out of the ring to end the show last night and he went around and high fived everybody around the ring. He wants this.

I think the fans who are pessimistic about Reigns are going to make it a self-fulfilled prophecy to turn on him. They are kind of just waiting for his Superman Push to kick in just to say "See, it's going to be John Cena all over again. I knew it. Boo! Reigns sucks!" What WWE has done with Reigns so far this year is exactly what they should do and that's to build him up slow and steady. The only faults so far were him spiking the drinks and probably getting more title shots than he should.

Pretty much what I meant with my post in a nutshell. I don't really get the negativity on Reigns based on what-if's and would-have's. Fact of the matter is he is getting a push, but not the hardest one. Sure, he's in a main event match, but he's not the biggest guy in the match, nor is he by any means considered as the guy walking out with the title. It's a proper old-school slow push. He gets a bit of mic time, gets a rub here and there, gets to fight and win small battles like the one against Kane and the crowd gets used to liking and cheering him more and more.

He has a great vocal tone that oozes cool.

This btw is why I said he reminded me of Scott Hall earlier.

Carnby

WWE issued the following today announcing television executive Laureen Ong being elected to the company's Board of Directors:
WWE® ELECTS LAUREEN ONG TO BOARD OF DIRECTORS

WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced that television executive Laureen Ong has been elected to its Board of Directors. Ong is a 30-year veteran of the cable industry with extensive experience in sales, marketing, programming and management.

Most recently, Ong spent three years as President of the Travel Channel, where she was responsible for building brand strategy, developing programming and creating new business opportunities for the network. Prior to the Travel Channel, Ong was Chief Operating Officer of Hong Kong-based STAR Group Limited, where she oversaw STAR's media and entertainment operations spanning 55 countries.

Ong was also responsible for launching the National Geographic Channel. As the network's Founding President, Ong oversaw National Geographic's distribution, which reached 60 million households in just six years and included several shows that became ratings successes. Ong also oversaw National Geographic's expansion into online, video-on-demand, and other new media platforms, and spearheaded the launch of the high-definition simulcast of the linear network.

"We are pleased to elect Laureen to WWE's Board of Directors," said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman & Chief Executive Officer. "Laureen brings more than 30 years of global media experience that will be very beneficial to the future growth of our company."

Earlier in her career, Ong was Vice President and General Manager of WTTG-TV in Washington, D.C., a top 10 market affiliate and one of FOX's most successful television stations. She also spent time with the Chicago White Sox as Vice President, Programming, where she helped launch SportsVision in Chicago, one of the first regional sports networks in the country.

Ong's honors include Woman of the Year from Women in Cable Television (WICT), the Vision Award from the Washington Chapter of Women in Film and Video and Multichannel News' Wonder Woman award in recognition of her significant accomplishments in the cable television industry.

She graduated from Montclair State University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theater before receiving a Master's degree in Communications from Columbia University.

Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...f-wwe-board-of-directors/#dvPCLQOAgQgyzTT8.99

Ong sounds promising. She'll know how to properly market The Network. This week was a good start. Premier an episode of Monday Night War and simultaneously offer a free trial.

RP912

Banned
I got a PM from a mod, so I need to talk about some things.

We need to get our shit in order or else we're going to be NBA-GAF'd. And that'd fucking suck. This is our home, so we need to get our house in order and get our shit together.

It starts with us here. So let's get shit back on track. Fix all this shit. Talk it out, beat it out, cry it out, whatever. Let's get past hating ourselves and enjoy some goddamn wrestling before we lose our home. We're not making some other place to go, we're not splintering anything, we're getting our shit fixed because we're not some Halo-GAF or some shit. Let's shape up.

So here's a list of things that I think will help, and I'd appreciate it if you all can help me out here because I like this goddamn community.

1. Don't threadshit OT threads about wrestling - If you ignore the threads you don't like, they will go away.

2. Let's tone down the vitriol towards each other, gimmick or not.

3. No more accusing people of gimmick posting unless your name is Horse. Because that was a goddamn gimmick and we all know it.

4. No personal attacks for a while, even in jest. Just let it calm down a bit.

We need to bring fun back, keep it playful, and not try to get one over on each other. We can have a decent goddamned community, but we're in danger now and we all need to rally and hit that hot tag to get Omerta back in action and the mods going back to ignoring us.

Will you all help me? I'll do all the things on that list.

:( oh shit.

This is probably like the best community for wrasslin talk without too much smark and just enough mark. Other places seem to be a den of trolls. So it would suck if this community get endeavored.

Reigns vs Bray is still the worst match of the year. I'm blaming Reigns. I'm guessing it's also the sole reason for keeping him in non singles matches pretty much ever since.

RP912

Banned
I say it before and say it again. Reigns needs a partner like a hole in the head. His solo push is on the rough side. Don't get me wrong Reigns is progressing but I seriously see him as a IC champion at best.

WWE title champion not so much.

RP912

Banned
Reigns' recent push reeks of Ryback's title push. I hope I'm wrong.

I get those vibes..especially with Cena being in the picture. The whole reeks of warrior/hogan except Cena is not putting a Hogan by a long shot. I see them wrestling at summerslam or survivor series atleast...reigns going for the spear which he ends up taking an AA.. Cena gets the victory and applaud Reigns for his effort. Next thing you know Reigns will end up feuding with a midcarder the following night.

Rinse and repeat.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He has 3 easily identifiable big spots. How many guys can you say that about on the roster?

Kane. Chokeslam, tombstone, top rope clothesline
Big Show. Knockout punch, chokeslam, corner 'shhhh' chop
Miz. turnbuckle clothesline, stroke, figure four(lol)
Kofi. That leg drop thing, that kick thing, that other kick thing.

I can say that about 90% of the roster

Aiii

So not worth it
Reigns vs Bray is still the worst match of the year. I'm blaming Reigns. I'm guessing it's also the sole reason for keeping him in non singles matches pretty much ever since.

Do you also blame Cena and Kane for their Bray matches sucking?

Looking over at Vinny Macs rules of Wrasslegaf etiquette it's kind of telling that such points had to be typed up in the first place.

I can't see Reigns as a Cena, I view him more as a Batista.
Speaking of which Reigns right now seems to be in a similar spot to Tweener Batista in 2005 before his title run, he's got the backing and the look but he's not quite there yet in the ring and on the mic, but Big Dave grew quickly into his top spot and showed improvement over the following months so i'm not passing judgement on Reigns yet myself.
A little bit more diversity in his moveset should go a long way and I think he'll come into his own character wise soon enough, to go back to the Batista comparison he needs to morph his iffy WM21 dance on the ramp into the machine gun motion of pyro hype.

Ithil

I got a PM from a mod, so I need to talk about some things.

We need to get our shit in order or else we're going to be NBA-GAF'd. And that'd fucking suck. This is our home, so we need to get our house in order and get our shit together.

It starts with us here. So let's get shit back on track. Fix all this shit. Talk it out, beat it out, cry it out, whatever. Let's get past hating ourselves and enjoy some goddamn wrestling before we lose our home. We're not making some other place to go, we're not splintering anything, we're getting our shit fixed because we're not some Halo-GAF or some shit. Let's shape up.

So here's a list of things that I think will help, and I'd appreciate it if you all can help me out here because I like this goddamn community.

2. Let's tone down the vitriol towards each other, gimmick or not.

3. No more accusing people of gimmick posting unless your name is Horse. Because that was a goddamn gimmick and we all know it.

4. No personal attacks for a while, even in jest. Just let it calm down a bit.

We need to bring fun back, keep it playful, and not try to get one over on each other. We can have a decent goddamned community, but we're in danger now and we all need to rally and hit that hot tag to get Omerta back in action and the mods going back to ignoring us.

Will you all help me? I'll do all the things on that list.

By that same token, the 1 or 2 legitimate gimmick posters need to drop it, already. They know who they are.

Alucard

Banned
Kane. Chokeslam, tombstone, top rope clothesline
Big Show. Knockout punch, chokeslam, corner 'shhhh' chop
Miz. turnbuckle clothesline, stroke, figure four(lol)
Kofi. That leg drop thing, that kick thing, that other kick thing.

I can say that about 90% of the roster

My point was that he's developed his toolkit pretty quickly. How long did it take Show to get all three of those moves? We're talking about a guy with fewer than two years on the main roster who has some very impressive-looking offense and already has two trademark poses as well. (fist in the air, which is easy to latch onto as a fan, and the "oooooooohhhhhh!" rage pose he does before a big spot...nevermind the superman setup) He's developing before our very eyes, and I think his growth as a performer has been rather quick.

It amazes me how beautiful and stacked the network is and just how negative and entitled people act with it. It's 10 a month with free ppv's. Everything else is icing on the cake but I think they're waiting for free bj's or diva porn from it. Even then they'd probably be like, okay cool, Aj and Paige did it but where was Summer Rae?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn Monday Night Wars was good. Smart of WWE, even though it APPEARS inconvenient for them to not have it archived, to just show it one night. Builds hype for it and gets people gathered around its airdate. I'm sure someone ripped it on them torrentz sitez and shit if you REALLY want to get it, but it was a good hour. Leaves me optimistic for the other 19 episodes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How was Raw yesterday?

tumblr_n8dh5c7npB1srbyoyo1_400.gif

Skimming through the thread, it sounds like people really enjoyed Fandango.
Yeah actually all of the comedy stuff was great last night. Fandango, Sandow, Dust bros, Bo Dallas, all fantastic as usual. Just none of the key storylines advanced in the least bit.

Zach

It amazes me how beautiful and stacked the network is and just how negative and entitled people act with it. It's 10 a month with free ppv's. Everything else is icing on the cake but I think they're waiting for free bj's or diva porn from it. Even then they'd probably be like, okay cool, Aj and Paige did it but where was Summer Rae?

I'm with you. I'm surprised when I see people in a wrestling thread opine that the Network isn't worth $10 a month. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's still early in the Network's life.

RP912

Banned

Thats what I'm saying. I don't know why folks are so negative towards the network. This is the greatest thing wwe has ever done next to wrasslin buddies. I spend ten dollars a month just for all the ppvs, shows, and wrestling memories to shed a tear. Sure it's rough around the edges and there's no nitro yet but it's slowly coming along.

Speaking of which my sub is about to run next month :/.

Sblargh

Banned
Apparently it had its moments. The real highlight was that this thread was put on notice. Seems that promo you cut a week ago was a sign of things to come.

Yeah, was seeing that. I kind of lost it, don't like to get mad like this, but it is... nice (?) to see I wasn't insane and this thread has a real problem in it. I said what I had to say, tho, even if I was wrong or named the wrong names, there could be an effort in making this place less... man, I don't even know, but it need to be less.

Yeah actually all of the comedy stuff was great last night. Fandango, Sandow, Dust bros, all fantastic as usual. Just none of the key storylines advanced in the least bit.

I'll see which of these are on youtube; this thing of me only watching the Network shows to get the recap has the unfortunate side effect of they usually not recaping the random good bits almost every Raw has in favor to recapping the "not advancing storylines" bit.

RP912

Banned
Skimming through the thread, it sounds like people really enjoyed Fandango.

Dango always been awesome to me. He plays his gimmick without fail and the commentary he provided last night......spectacular.

Dude sounded like a obscene phone call.

Ithil

It already has kicked in. I think it's the other way around, and that WWE make it a self-fulfilling prophecy when they don't need to.
I got no problem with Reigns being pushed, he's got a great look, plenty of potential, he ought to be a big deal. But there's a way they push certain people, that nearly immediately becomes obnoxious and ends up turning you off them instead. They did it with Sheamus, Lashley, they've done it for 9 years with Cena, and other favourites they've had over the years.

Ambrose is getting pushed, he has an angle, promo time, long matches, and he's getting over as a result. Reigns is starting to feel like they're grabbing him and stuffing him down your throat screaming "LIKE HIM! LIKE HIM NOW DAMMIT!". He appears constantly every night to be invincible and have other faces tell you how great he is, commentary won't stop (like that Main Event where the main event was "Roman doing a promo" and the commentary told you this literally every minute or two all night. He's over, of course, but it's all so overwhelming immediately that it's going to have negative side effects inevitably.

I understand they want him to be viewed as a big deal, pretty quick, but it all seems to be laying the groundwork for a lot of the audience getting tired of him before he even gets to the top face position. These kinds of superpushes always get a part of the audience to support him, as quite frankly they just go with what WWE says most of the time, but do your really want another top face half the crowd doesn't like? It doesn't help that he's still green and getting the biggest push in the company, just with the hope that he might be good enough by the time he's the top guy.
He would do better in the long run with a less in-your-face push that takes it slower, he's only like 28, there shouldn't be any rush for this. Once you have the audience demanding he be pushed instead of demanding they like him, he'll be set.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, was seeing that. I kind of lost it, don't like to get mad like this, but it is... nice (?) to see I wasn't insane and this thread has a real problem in it. I said what I had to say, tho, even if I was wrong or named the wrong names, there could be an effort in making this place less... man, I don't even know, but it need to be less.

I'll tell you what my friend.

Earnest apology to Heel and all will be right with the world. You did him dirty, Sblargh! Keep it playful!

Heel is legit wounded over that. He'd never say it to your face, he has too much budo for that - but it hurt.

Aiii

So not worth it
clipboard019wjud.jpg

So this feud is still happening right? Not that I'm opposed to a Paige/AJ tag-team leading to a feud later on, but I was kinda excited for Paige turning heel and them feuding now. Last nights angle had no hints towards Paige turning on AJ though, but that could have been due to focusing on the turn of Cameron on Naomi.

Hasney

I've watched the old PPVs I want to and they're being quite annoying with how infrequent ECW weekly goes up. Barely got any interest in the current PPVs so I'm probably getting about an hour a week for NXT, maybe more if that weeks Beyond The Ring is good?

I was really hoping that Monday Night Wars would be better paced, but with it going for 20 weeks, once it's done, it's done and it was one of the main reasons I wanted the network. Just thinking it's better to wait for it to officially launch in the UK, cancel unblock-us as well and then I'll have a much bigger library to dip into when I'm back.

Top Bottom