• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

I know we're all looking forward to SummerSlam, but dear God, we still have Battleground to get through. Ugh, it's another top heavy match with the fatal 4-way for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship (Cena, Kane, Orton, Reigns) and the battle royal for the IC championship (Del Rio, Big E, BO, Cesaro, Axel, Sandow, Ziggler, Fandango, Kingston, RVD, Ryback, Sheamus, Khali, TBA).

So, that leaves room for yet another Wyatts vs. Usos match for the tag team championship, a Divas championship match, and what else? I'm struggling to fill out the rest of this card.

Edit: new page, so enjoy the Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page match for the WCW World Championship from Halloween Havoc 1998.

Funk-with-Conway-NWA-belt-M.-Lano.jpg

Their review of No Holds Barred is amazing.
Speaking of No Holds Barred, strobogo, a legitshook.com exclusive, also has an amazing review of that classic movie.

No silly goose, it's the smell of a fresh, new review from the one and only strobogo. Stro has decided to review the WWE Films classic, No Holds Barred. This review can be found exclusively on legitshook.com, WrassleGAF's second screen experience.

Exclusive excerpt:
This movie is the most insane thing I've ever seen. It is INCREDIBLE. Truly. It defies credibility.

Click the jiff below for the full review.

I know we're all looking forward to SummerSlam, but dear God, we still have Battleground to get through. Ugh, it's another top heavy match with the fatal 4-way for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship (Cena, Kane, Orton, Reigns) and the battle royal for the IC championship (Del Rio, Big E, BO, Cesaro, Axel, Sandow, Ziggler, Fandango, Kingston, RVD, Ryback, Sheamus, Khali, TBA).

So, that leaves room for yet another Wyatts vs. Usos match for the tag team championship, a Divas championship match, and what else? I'm struggling to fill out the rest of this card.

Edit: new page, so enjoy the Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page match for the WCW World Championship from Halloween Havoc 1998.
Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose

Rusev vs Jack Swagger

Jericho vs Wyatt

Ziggler vs Fandango too

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
:(

He's still the greatest to me.

He should have retired in like 2006. He has a stronger character than anyone else in wrestling that he can get away with it, I guess, but it's ruined. You can see how he's trying to do the wild, erratic Muta movemtns, and he can't. He doesn't do those crazy irish whips, he doesn't bounce off his feet, he's just a tired, old man.

And the worst part is when he did that limp? HE WENT AND DID A MOONSAULT. FUCKING STOP BEFORE YOU'RE DYNAMITE KID.

Hasney

Wyatt v Jericho shouldn't be a gimmick match. That's all he's been doing and they've all been overbooked to shit. Those guys will burn the barn with just they vanilla selves if ya will.

That'll be match 2 between them presumably, with the first vanilla singles match at Battleground.

Branson

So I enjoyed Monday Night War even though it had a lot of interviews we've all seen. I then watched the first two Total Diva shows on there. They just...end. Without any credits. It was weird. Trashy reality stuff so it was kinda fun.

Also what is with people saying wrasslegaf might go like NBA gaf? Are people not allowed to talk about NBA here anymore because of their community? I don't go anywhere else forum wise for wrestling and that would really, really suck if I couldn't read the forum and comment while RAW or a ppv was live.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I enjoyed Monday Night War even though it had a lot of interviews we've all seen. I then watched the first two Total Diva shows on there. They just...end. Without any credits. It was weird. Trashy reality stuff so it was kinda fun.

Also what is with people saying wrasslegaf might go like NBA gaf? Are people not allowed to talk about NBA here anymore because of their community? I don't go anywhere else forum wise for wrestling and that would really, really suck if I couldn't read the forum and comment while RAW or a ppv was live.

We're going to be fine. No worries. We all have each others' backs.

The era of worked shoot in WrassleGAF is over.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If I can sell someone on a match with one gif. It's Suzuki and Muta's amazing attires for their singles match.
mutasuzukitgjnx.gif

Suzuki has got to have one of the best presences in wrestling as well. He makes the simplest shit look so badass. No one else could get away with his hair.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If I can sell someone on a match with one gif. It's Suzuki and Muta's amazing attires for their singles match.
mutasuzukitgjnx.gif

Suzuki has got to have one of the best presences in wrestling as well. He makes the simplest shit look so badass. No one else could get away with his hair.

Or his little slippers. I used to hate his GUTS. I've changed though.

Hasney

Can wrestlers stop getting theme music for run ins. Just run in no need for a song and dance

Look at Ambrose

I wonder what the kayfabe reason would be. Is the wrestler telling the guys in production "Look, I want to attack this guy right now, can you get my music playing?". Are the productions guys seeing him make a move to the ring so play it anyway?

Obviously, Kane is exempt since he can make fire and music happen whenever he likes, as demons apparently can.

RP912

Banned
Can wrestlers stop getting theme music for run ins. Just run in no need for a song and dance

Look at Ambrose

I remember the good ole days of wrestlers jumping barricades or hiding under the ring to get to their enemy.

Nowadays its like somebody going on a intercom just to say they are leaving for a break.

I wonder what the kayfabe reason would be. Is the wrestler telling the guys in production "Look, I want to attack this guy right now, can you get my music playing?". Are the productions guys seeing him make a move to the ring so play it anyway?

Obviously, Kane is exempt since he can make fire and music happen whenever he likes, as demons apparently can.

He was also the Director of Operations, so he probably has some pull there.

XenoRaven

Speaking of Suzuki, who are the most legit guys in wrestling? I'm not even sure what my criteria are so make up your own. My only rules are they have to be either a tough guy or an accomplished athlete in a combat sport. The guys I've been thinking about are;

1. Kurt Angle
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Minoru Suzuki
4. Ken Shamrock
5. Kazushi Sakuraba

The reason I didn't go with straight MMA guys is because of all the stories about Haku being a total badass, even though I don't think he's ever been in an officially sanctioned fight.

Hasney

I remember the good ole days of wrestlers jumping barricades or hiding under the ring to get to their enemy.

Nowadays its like somebody going on a intercom just to say they are leaving for a break.

Damn, that's a point. When was the last time we saw a guy emerge from under the ring for a run-in? I mean emerging from under to the outside, not through like Kane did.

Last one I remember was Eric Angle, but I'm sure there's been a few since.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Speaking of Suzuki, who are the most legit guys in wrestling? I'm not even sure what my criteria are so make up your own. My only rules are they have to be either a tough guy or an accomplished athlete in a combat sport. The guys I've been thinking about are;

1. Kurt Angle
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Minoru Suzuki
4. Ken Shamrock
5. Kazushi Sakuraba

The reason I didn't go with straight MMA guys is because of all the stories about Haku being a total badass, even though I don't think he's ever been in an officially sanctioned fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masakatsu_Funaki

All you need to know.

XenoRaven

Devitt is the guy whose gimmick is cosplaying right? I haven't seen any of his matches but painting yourself to look like Venom is cheap and off-putting to me. Why not make your own character?
He has his own character. The cosplay thing developed recently and I think it's more due to the fact that he has wanted to do it for awhile and is in a transition period between NJPW and WWE so he's doing it while he has the chance. I think it's a bit heavy handed and would have a lot more impact if he only did it once in awhile, but he's having fun so whatever.

1. Kurt Angle
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Minoru Suzuki
4. Ken Shamrock
5. Kazushi Sakuraba

Don Frye

Sephzilla

I got a PM from a mod, so I need to talk about some things.

We need to get our shit in order or else we're going to be NBA-GAF'd. And that'd fucking suck. This is our home, so we need to get our house in order and get our shit together.

It starts with us here. So let's get shit back on track. Fix all this shit. Talk it out, beat it out, cry it out, whatever. Let's get past hating ourselves and enjoy some goddamn wrestling before we lose our home. We're not making some other place to go, we're not splintering anything, we're getting our shit fixed because we're not some Halo-GAF or some shit. Let's shape up.

So here's a list of things that I think will help, and I'd appreciate it if you all can help me out here because I like this goddamn community.

1. Don't threadshit OT threads about wrestling - If you ignore the threads you don't like, they will go away.

2. Let's tone down the vitriol towards each other, gimmick or not.

3. No more accusing people of gimmick posting unless your name is Horse. Because that was a goddamn gimmick and we all know it.

4. No personal attacks for a while, even in jest. Just let it calm down a bit.

We need to bring fun back, keep it playful, and not try to get one over on each other. We can have a decent goddamned community, but we're in danger now and we all need to rally and hit that hot tag to get Omerta back in action and the mods going back to ignoring us.

Will you all help me? I'll do all the things on that list.

Suggestion - How about we just put an end to gimmick posting in general?

It's stupid in my opinion

Ithil

Devitt is the guy whose gimmick is cosplaying right? I haven't seen any of his matches but painting yourself to look like Venom is cheap and off-putting to me. Why not make your own character?

He's only been doing that since January of this year. He's been wrestling as himself for a decade before that.

Suggestion - How about we just put an end to gimmick posting in general?

It's stupid in my opinion

People who only post with the intention of provoking a reaction or trying to "work" other people like they're a wrestler is downright laughable.

Browny

Banned
Damn, that's a point. When was the last time we saw a guy emerge from under the ring for a run-in? I mean emerging from under to the outside, not through like Kane did.

Hawkins and Ryder as the Edgeheads?

XenoRaven

Legit is also a loose term. John Tenta/Earthquake was the third white Yokozuna of all time, and he went 21-7.
It's meant to be, sort of. Tenta is a great example.

I've heard a lot of talk about Funaki but have never seen one of his fights or his matches. I'll have to look into it.

Did Steve Blackman really know how to fight or was that all a gimmick? Also was Dan Severn a decent fighter?

Browny

Banned

I've still never seen this, I need to get around to it sometime.

You're not missing anything. As amazing as it sounds.

Plot-line wise, it fitted in nicely with Edge holding onto the title by hook or by crook. It was a nice re-hash of the Angle-Angle finish too.

(Cue lament of the tag team division - Hawkins and Ryder could've had a few matches over the past few months)

Ithil

WWE now having commentary actually straight up state "John Cena is without a doubt the greatest champion in WWE history" is hilariously unobjective and shows pretty clearly they somehow still don't understand why he is booed. They think it's people "just having fun" or something.

They've never once stopped to think it's exactly their own obnoxious superpush that turns people off. Instead they just push him harder and are baffled when it doesn't work.

Jim Ross @JRsBBQ
Multiple mentions that @JohnCena is the greatest WWE World Champion doesn't help John. Does him no favors. Feels forced. He'd agree.
JR knows it. Hogan or Austin or Rock never needed WWE to literally tell you they're the best of all time, while they were still wrestling.

Counterpoint: The people that get angry about him being called the greatest champion of all time aren't going to suddenly start liking him for any reason.

He's definitely one of the biggest stars they ever had and still have. Cena is a title in itself. I mean who is the one person we're associating with Reigns?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be alright with Fandangoo winning the IC belt.

Top Bottom