• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Woah, awesome - wXw are bringing back their Ambition shootstyle tournament this October and they've booked Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs the Axeman! That should be fun.

jmdajr

Most likely not. Lanny Poffo was talking about how he was happy to work with Hogan because it meant you to paid out the ass. But you know, these were wrestlers who were better businessmen than let's say... Dolph.

You know who actually likes doing all that? Miz? Only reason he ever got to headline Wrestlemania really. I think Vinnie Mac respected that.

Don't see Miz ever complaining, even now. But well, he goes home to Maryse. I wouldn't be on Twitter either.

jmdajr

Cena's reign "Not organic"? Okay I can understand some contenders were questionable(what champion doesn't have them), but come on. The man defeated the Rock, and HHH at Wrestlemania. How is that not legitimate?

I'm sure Hogan had his detractors, but not at the levels Cena did. That's the reason many don't think it's legit. They were not onboard like Rock or Austin.

But heck who would you replace him with? Most big stars have retired or semi-retired whether it be age or injury.

So not only is he your option, he's still the one that wants it the most. I'm sure D.Bry is grateful fans put him in that spot, but I don't think he cares to be at Cena level. We know Punk for sure doesn't. Probably would not have mattered even if he headlines mania. He would do it and leave.

Mengetsu

Mine just started shutting itself off randomly. It got more and more common until it did it three times one night when I was trying to watch IYH Badd Bloodddddd. That was the final straw.

I haven't seen anyone else with the same issue. Mostly people with the disc eject or white light problems. Which did you have out of interest?
Mines started beeping and trying to eject and take disk non stop. The beeping was constant as well so I found out it's a drive problem. I had to dig to find the recipient. If it makes you feel better mines randomly cut off a few times while using hulu.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cena's definitely had one of the biggest and most significant reigns out there. It is what it is. He kept the company alive for a long time and did a lot. I know a lot of people hate him, but you can't argue - he's done the work of his life and he is one of the greatest champions the WWE has ever had. Not MY favorite, but the resume is stacked.

I'm not getting the "not organic" thing either. Started as a non-descript face, changed his gimmick to rapping heel, got over, turned face, stayed over, became champ. Isn't that more or less it?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
John Cena is what happens when you give Vince the golden boy he wants, and you make sure he's someone who's a mark for wrestling who is happy to have the belt. He's never going to fight Vince for more pay. He's always going to be the teacher's pet.

It's why he's going to have the title for a long time. There's no cokehead Shawn, small guy problems. There's no Hulk Hogan politicking for more of his sales from merch. None of that. Cena's just happy to work, and he's probably a little obsessed at this point with being THE top draw. But that's all Vince has to worry about. Not about him holding Vince up for cash.

jmdajr

Cena's definitely had one of the biggest and most significant reigns out there. It is what it is. He kept the company alive for a long time and did a lot. I know a lot of people hate him, but you can't argue - he's done the work of his life and he is one of the greatest champions the WWE has ever had. Not MY favorite, but the resume is stacked.

I haven't been able to sleep well for some weeks now and all I do is sit on my ass all day. I can't even imagine how he feels and still has to smile. The cat is another type of Human. Shit, Brock couldn't do it. He is mentally weak compared to Hustle Loyalty and Respect.

jmdajr

I'm not getting the "not organic" thing either. Started as a non-descript face, changed his gimmick to rapping heel, got over, turned face, stayed over, became champ. Isn't that more or less it?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing. No doubt he had a fan base that included some folks that would NEVER watch otherwise, like my wife. (she quit when Miz became champ because it was too much to suspended disbelief)

But that's how some folks feel. He wasn't anointed by the entire fan base like other super stars. Vince just kept smashing the circle peg into the square hole until it fit.

Thorakai

I think Cena's multiple reigns just means a lot less in the current WWE product. Edge, Orton, and Triple H aren't far behind in world title reigns. Not to knock or pass judgement on the quality of the wrestlers I mentioned, but it seems like if you manage to stick around long enough you'll rack up title reigns pretty quickly. The current product seems to encourage a few people staying on top a lot longer than what was expected before. Hopefully the elimination of the World Heavyweight Championship will do wonders for the prestige of having double-digit reigns. Because right now it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

yep. as a massive Edge fan, you look at the longevity of Cena as a healthy top draw... and not that I think putting all your eggs in one basket is necessarily a good idea, but they picked the right basket to put all their eggs in.

the guy works hard, and hasn't been a source of bad PR for them like ever, ignoring when something he said about steroids got taken horribly out of context and it made it sound like he was endorsing them. Because we really should ignore that.

Two of the shrewdest things Vince ever did as a business man: Ordaining Trips marriage to his daughter and ordaining Cena's marriage to the WWE title.

jmdajr

The one thing you have to respect about Cena, even if you think he is a sham from pushing other superstars to actually caring about these make a wish kids, is the workmate.

He would still be one of the hardest working scam artists ever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also Cena averages 1-2 matches a year where you go, Holy Shit, this guy can really fucking wrestle. Hulk Hogan averaged about zero of those a year.

XenoRaven

This is just wild speculation that no one should take seriously, but ever since Cena's divorce I've felt like wrestling is Cena's whole life. He doesn't have anything and he doesn't do or care about anything else. Just wrestling. It's hard to compete with a guy who will let everything else in his life fall apart to visit kids in the hospital and then hop on the bus to get to the next town. I hope I'm wrong because I'd hate to see him be the guy that either hangs on too long or goes stir crazy when he's finally done.

jmdajr

This is just wild speculation that no one should take seriously, but ever since Cena's divorce I've felt like wrestling is Cena's whole life. He doesn't have anything and he doesn't do or care about anything else. Just wrestling. It's hard to compete with a guy who will let everything else in his life fall apart to visit kids in the hospital and then hop on the bus to get to the next town. I hope I'm wrong because I'd hate to see him be the guy that either hangs on too long or goes stir crazy when he's finally done.

I imagine even when he retires he will still do all those Make A Wish. That be a sad day when Cena just says, "Yeah, I'm not doing that no more."

Aiii

So not worth it
But but but Nikki Bella and Wishes and stuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The most hyperbolic thing I ever heard about Cena was on some podcast, probably Piledriver Wrestling, where a few months back they said that since his come back from surgery he was wrestling at about the level of the Ultimate Warrior. This was less than a month before he blew the doors off in the match with Cesaro.

Sid

I honestly don't think many wrestlers want Cena to step down. That's just more work for them.

"Cena is hurt? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Guess I gotta do the Morning show."

What new up and coming guy wants to carry the load?
Morning show?

Thorakai

I've always got that impression even before the divorce. I don't think there is a question that the guy truly loves wrestling and I can respect that. The good thing is that he doesn't seem to have the Ric Flair problem of being forced to keep wrestling because he just mismanages his money and continues wracking up debt. I'd like to think that once Cena realizes he can't wrestle anymore he would move on to supporting causes like the Make-a-Wish foundation. The social work route would suit someone like Cena really well.

jmdajr

Morning show?

sg-gma_040813_rev.jpg

That crossgender matches thread makes me sad. Like I don't get how it's just a violence against women thing. It's only sexist if you think women can't fight back.

I mean, fuck. There's always gonna be gross dudes making videos of themselves as a chris benoit caw beating up on women but that doesn't mean you should take out the option for crossgender matches for the women who want it! Of which there are DOZENS! DOZENS OF US!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That crossgender matches thread makes me sad. Like I don't get how it's just a violence against women thing. It's only sexist if you think women can't fight back.

I mean, fuck. There's always gonna be gross dudes making videos of themselves as a chris benoit caw beating up on women but that doesn't mean you should take out the option for crossgender matches for the women who want it! Of which there are DOZENS! DOZENS OF US!

My original No Mercy save had Chris Benoit with all the belts, including the women's title...

Luckily my version of the cart is one of the glitched ones so it's deleted itself maybe a dozen times since then.

Attitude era games were oddly more progressive. Women could win any belt, use the same moves as men, fight in the same matches. Men could go for the women's belt (in fact its a great starting place in No Mercy being the easiest campaign)

XenoRaven

I've always got that impression even before the divorce. I don't think there is a question that the guy truly loves wrestling and I can respect that. The good thing is that he doesn't seem to have the Ric Flair problem of being forced to keep wrestling because he just mismanages his money and continues wracking up debt. I'd like to think that once Cena realizes he can't wrestle anymore he would move on to supporting causes like the Make-a-Wish foundation. The social work route would suit someone like Cena really well.
For sure. I've always gotten the impression that he was wise with his money which is nice to see.

jmdajr

For sure. I've always gotten the impression that he was wise with his money which is nice to see.

Seems so. Same for Hogan and Rock. Man, it be fucked up if Rock went broke.

As for Hogan, can't say it went well for him. He was meant to retire decades ago but kept upping his standard of living. His ex-wife expected a lot of things.

Cena, please.. never marry Nikki.

as the great Green Goblin once said

Norman Osborn: A word to the "not-so-wise" about your little girlfriend. Do what you need to with her, then broom her fast.

XenoRaven

Seems so. Same for Hogan and Rock. Man, it be fucked up if Rock went broke.

As for Hogan, can't say it went well for him. He was meant to retire decades ago but kept upping his standard of living.
Even if Rock was bad with his wrestling money, he is in no danger of running of cash now.

DMczaf

The guy has been on top for a decade. Even when his body breaks down to the point he can't wrestle anymore I don't see him going away. I can easily see him taking on a GM role or becoming the new (kayfabe) owner of the WWE.

Weekly Cena Choppa Suits!

He will have colorful Choppa suits as his new merch!

Now, hold on a minute, JACK. This will now be a tag team match! *BRRR APPLEDOUGH*

I can already see it in my head, and I weep for the future.

Sblargh

Banned
I get that Cena's rise was not as organic as others. It's was pretty legitimate when he was still starting out but many have a problem when he suddenly reached Hulk Hogan levels pretty quick.

Regardless despite all the surgeries that guy simply won't quit.

Plus dat merch. That's some manufacturing $$$.

He's not at a age to quit, I think, despite surgeries, he does seem healthy enough. Cena's problem is never actually Cena, but everything around him. He wouldn't be bad as a top guy who is popular with kids and has the generic babyface never-does-anything-wrong gimmick if his storylines, promos and matches didn't seem designed to make the opponent look horrible; they don't even seem made to make him look good, it's like the main goal is to derail somebody's career first and then put Cena over as a distant second and preserving his opponent for future angles as a basically non-existing priority.

People go "I don't like his character, but I respect him as a person" or whatever and that's missing the point. It's a TV show, of course the hate is against the character, it's weird that it even need to be said.

Kaladin

Does Smackdown matter at this point? I feel like I haven't really watched an episode in ages and I haven't even cared to see what has happened beyond what they show on Raw.

I don't feel like I miss anything although I'm sure there is plot development and stuff there.....or is there?

I just don't feel the need to watch it at all, and I'm feeling the need to watch Raw even less these days.

Does Smackdown matter at this point? I feel like I haven't really watched an episode in ages and I haven't even cared to see what has happened beyond what they show on Raw.

I don't feel like I miss anything although I'm sure there is plot development and stuff there.....or is there?

I just don't feel the need to watch it at all, and I'm feeling the need to watch Raw even less these days.
smackdown is still imho the better show. it's an hour shorter and it recaps all the important bits from RAW, while generally having a better in ring product.

shame it doesn't have the extra juice of being live.

try this. skip everything else one week and watch Smackdown on Hulu Plus on Saturday morning. It's a great Saturday morning show.

Oh, and no Lawler is a bonus.

Phatmac

It doesn't really. It's mostly a practice show for raw. They even repeat main events from Smackdown to raw.

jmdajr

Sometimes side missions are not worth the time. Is anyone even thinking outside the box on that show?

Top Bottom