• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

image.php

the fuck is this bullshit

Gorillaz

Does Smackdown matter at this point? I feel like I haven't really watched an episode in ages and I haven't even cared to see what has happened beyond what they show on Raw.

I don't feel like I miss anything although I'm sure there is plot development and stuff there.....or is there?

I just don't feel the need to watch it at all, and I'm feeling the need to watch Raw even less these days.
I thought this to myself a few months ago as well. I think combining the 2 shows storylines/talent and just stuffing everything on Raw basically ended SD for the time being

Phatmac

Smackdown's fine if you don't wanna watch the raw from this week but I just found it to be dull. The live nature of raw just makes it better IMO.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's kind of weird how people cite Wrestlemania XX as this moment where it's WWE putting faith in the 'technical wrestlers' not the big, over the top Hogan types. But do people like just not look past that one photo? The facts are that Benoit and Eddie only ever won a World title ONCE in all their years with the WWE. And it always came off as their 'thank you for sticking around and working hard' prize, not really a 'We believe in you. You're the future.' I mean, the most memorable thing about their reigns was how they won the titles. Benoit was there to hand it down to Orton, and I don't even remember anything about Eddie's reign. I think he lost it to JBL? Maybe? They gave them the titles and never gave them anything meaningful, and they never gave it to them again after that.

And Stephanie's 'Eddie was gonna win the title from Batista just a few weeks after he passed' was complete bullshit. Guarantee it.

Kaladin

It's kind of weird how people cite Wrestlemania XX as this moment where it's WWE putting faith in the 'technical wrestlers' not the big, over the top Hogan types. But do people like just not look past that one photo? The facts are that Benoit and Eddie only ever won a World title ONCE in all their years with the WWE. And it always came off as their 'thank you for sticking around and working hard' prize, not really a 'We believe in you. You're the future.' I mean, the most memorable thing about their reigns was how they won the titles. Benoit was there to hand it down to Orton, and I don't even remember anything about Eddie's reign. I think he lost it to JBL? Maybe? They gave them the titles and never gave them anything meaningful, and they never gave it to them again after that.

And Stephanie's 'Eddie was gonna win the title from Batista just a few weeks after he passed' was complete bullshit. Guarantee it.

The title reign in WWE is almost never as memorable as the championship win or the chase. This is known.

Thorakai

He's not at a age to quit, I think, despite surgeries, he does seem healthy enough. Cena's problem is never actually Cena, but everything around him. He wouldn't be bad as a top guy who is popular with kids and has the generic babyface never-does-anything-wrong gimmick if his storylines, promos and matches didn't seem designed to make the opponent look horrible; they don't even seem made to make him look good, it's like the main goal is to derail somebody's career first and then put Cena over as a distant second and preserving his opponent for future angles as a basically non-existing priority.

People go "I don't like his character, but I respect him as a person" or whatever and that's missing the point. It's a TV show, of course the hate is against the character, it's weird that it even need to be said.

Definitely. Even all the bad surrounding a Cena feud could be tolerated if there were other midcard feuds for people to follow. It would be easy to ignore a "burial" if you knew a wrestler can still go on and have entertaining feuds. But it seems common for good characters to be wasted away or forgotten about re: conspiracy R-Truth, Wrestlemania Miz, Hall of Pain Mark Henry, etc. Not all of it is on Cena, but its easy to denounce the character when its the only thing that has consistently been protected for the past decade. I don't even care if someone like Cesaro never reaches the main event, but please let him get involved in something more meaningful than another Battle Royal.

jmdajr

I think I read a chapter on that in this book. Can't remember details.

People go "I don't like his character, but I respect him as a person" or whatever and that's missing the point. It's a TV show, of course the hate is against the character, it's weird that it even need to be said.

Yeah, I don't get this line of thinking. You don't know the man, why do you give a shit if you respect him as a person? You're not trying to marry him, and even if you were he doesn't want to get married.

After receiving the Wrasslegaf™ seal of approval, I have decided to buy Alpha Protocol. I'm going to make my guy look like Jesse ventura and start as a recruit. I hope to have fun.

I think we'd have seen more gold on Eddie and Crispin, but it's all supposition at this point beyond the fact that Crispin was going to win the ECW belt the weekend where he decided that there were more important things to be doing rather than wrestling.

Which was, you know, a demonstrably bad decision.

jmdajr

I think we'd have seen more gold on Eddie and Crispin, but it's all supposition at this point beyond the fact that Crispin was going to win the ECW belt the weekend where he decided that there were more important things to be doing rather than wrestling.

Which was, you know, a demonstrably bad decision.

I remember being at the PPV and him not coming out. Thought it was odd.

We all know how that turned out.

I think we were all legit shook for awhile on that one. Hard Times.

I would be happy to see former ECW champ John parkour Morrison return. Even more so if he's been improving since we last saw him. He seemed to leave on good terms. He's no main event talent, but he was good value in the tag division with two different partners. Stick him with Kofi and you'd have something.

alstein

Wish I could have gone to an 80s House Show.

All I got on TV was jobber bullshit.

This is why I never grew up liking the WWF- I had access to 5 different feds for TV, and WWF product was the worst:

World Class gave the best product, followed by NWA/WCW, then AWA (AWA had some guys I liked like Baron von Raschke and Nick Bockwinkle) , then Memphis (I never liked how unathletic most of the Memphis guys were- I did like young Jarrett though), then WWF.

Add in Memphis+World Class+AWA all fused into one which was huge for me as a kid.

NWA/WCW stuck with me because the first thing I ever saw in America was a Midnight/Rock-N-Roll express match and I loved that stuff. A lot better than Big Daddy.

seriously though, my wife is still happy enough to go see a live wrestling show and watch Mania, and watch RAW the week before, but she used to love Smackdown and watched every week. the glory of the King Booker days.

Chris was her favorite wrestler by far... and that whole dark weekend... her interest in wrestling vaporized.

Two innocent people died that day, and something that used to bring joy to millions was damaged... in some people's cases, irreparably.

Happy to see they've dropped the Irish jig completely from Becky Lynch on NXT. Last week's match with Bailey against the BFFs was pretty great.

$10 per month for the Network breaks down to $5 for NXT and $5 for the PPV, which is ridiculously awesome. Even if I never watched any of the other library stuff.

Thorakai

Happy to see they've dropped the Irish jig completely from Becky Lynch on NXT. Last week's match with Bailey against the BFFs was pretty great.

$10 per month for the Network breaks down to $5 for NXT and $5 for the PPV, which is ridiculously awesome. Even if I never watched any of the other library stuff.

As far as I'm concerned everything regarding the Network has just been a great bonus after an entertaining Wrestlemania 30. Looking forward to the Monday Night Wars series. I got into wrestling after WCW shutdown, so I'm always interested in learning more about that era.

As far as I'm concerned everything regarding the Network has just been a great bonus after an entertaining Wrestlemania 30. Looking forward to the Monday Night Wars series. I got into wrestling after WCW shutdown, so I'm always interested in learning more about that era.

Yep, I'm 39, but my wrestling knowledge only extends over the past three years, so I have all sorts of stuff to watch for the very first time.

Aiii

So not worth it
These fuckers chocked so hard it's like a 10 second knockout in the first round level of failure.

Are you okay Sblargh?

Top Bottom