• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Vylash

You know, I think Steph and HHH really need to go away. None of these programs are all that better with them, and they overshadow everyone else because they can book themselves to do whatever they want. This stupid Authority shit should have ended at Wrestlemania, and because it didn't we end up with all this dumb shit like Reigns being in the title match again for no storyline reason because there's a constant authority figure there putting him in there. But they also want you to think they really don't like him. Yeah. Okay.

I know you all like their performance and all, but to me it's not helping the people who need to be elevated in the end. BECAUSE IT NEVER ENDS. That's why. Somewhere along the way, they have to get their comeuppance. And they never do because they never go away. They never lose their power or their TV time. Guys win the title that they don't want to win, but HEY WE STILL HAVE THE POWER SO IT DOESN'T MATTER. Fuck off.

iwWEwIQvGkjI8.gif

Can't even hear you, bro

Sephzilla

I kind of agree that HHH/Steph need a bit of a break. Honestly they've been on repeat since WrestleMania. "Best for business" "B+" "Respect us". HHH can stick around longer than Steph because Hunter can actually get into physical confrontations with the talent he's feuding with, while Steph is pretty much untouchable.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
whats going on brah? i tried to read that thread but i dont understand anything.

Simple terms, some people are attacking Giant Bomb for not hiring more diverse folks, some of the GB community is then attacking those people.

JavyOO7

Kenta Kobashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - GHC Heavyweight Title - (NOAH 2005/01/08)

Good clash of styles here with Suzuki playing the arrogant, invading heel role really well. Much of the match is built around Suzuki's strikes and submissions throwing Kobashi off his game and while Kobashi keeps trying to draw him into a slugfest, Minoru's having none of it. The finish falls a bit flat with the crowd, as it's a pretty crazy stretch of moves that just sort of come out of nowhere. I think the idea was that Kobashi realises half-way through the match just how much of a threat Minoru is to his title reign, so he says "fuck it" and goddamn finishes Suzuki before he can destroy Kobashi's knees further.

Kobashi.gif

Even with knees that look close to Mysterio's, Kobashi is still the goat to me. Unfortunately I don't remember too much of this match so I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you. :)

Vylash

whats going on brah? i tried to read that thread but i dont understand anything.

Giant Bomb had the nerve to hire 2 white people, others spoke out against this, these people were shouted and had mean responses targeted against them, people are blaming Giant Bomb themselves for some reason

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bonus Shook Searches (A week back for these)

1349yAC.png

Sephzilla

I only dipped my head in the water for a little bit before getting out. But it seems like there's some butthurt people because GB hired two white guys for their open positions instead of hiring women/minorities. Because hiring based on demographic is clearly more important than hiring based on who's the most qualified.

And then shit slinging started on all sides.

lotta people searching legit shook on legitshook.com
lol, I doubt that. I'm a Bryan fan and I'm happy the product is doing fine with all the new talent they are pushing.

Saying stuff about Bryan fans is just stupid bait posting.

hard times for Bryan fans who are also dissatisfied with the current product, then

Marvel

could never
Giant Bomb had the nerve to hire 2 white people, others spoke out against this, these people were shouted and had mean responses targeted against them, people are blaming Giant Bomb themselves for some reason

Yeesh, I'll stay away from that.

I don't think some people are understanding what people are getting worked up about when it comes to hiring who they hire. It's not that they think Giant Bomb is necessarily wrong in doing what they're doing (because they're not wrong) it just represents the industry at large. It's about opportunity.

In a lot of ways, it's kind of like Cena or Orton being the champion again. People at large don't necessarily dislike Cena or Orton, they dislike the idea that it's the same thing again. It's the same old types of people getting the same opportunities and those who aren't this type of person or don't have this connection don't get the shot.

The game industry is fucking tiny. And 90% of it is white dudes that all know each other and live in the same city.

Sephzilla

it just represents the industry at large. It's about opportunity.

There are a lot of things that the public probably doesn't know about either though. Like how many women actually applied for the job (hard to hire minorities if so few apply)? What was the ratio of white applicants to minority applicants? Did the non-white-male-demographic applicants have the necessary skills to perform the job? Who aced their interview and who bombed it?

There are a lot of things that the public probably doesn't know about either though. Like how many women actually applied for the job (hard to hire minorities if so few apply)? What was the ratio of white applicants to minority applicants? Did the non-white-male-demographic applicants have the necessary skills to perform the job? Who aced their interview and who bombed it?

I'm not saying it's right and I'm not going to argue. I'm just saying that's what people are talking about. I get both sides. There's a lot of factors we'll simply never know, and that's where I think people are getting hung up. People aren't mad at Giant Bomb. They're mad about what this represents, whether their assumptions are right or not.

Kenta Kobashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - GHC Heavyweight Title - (NOAH 2005/01/08)

Good clash of styles here with Suzuki playing the arrogant, invading heel role really well. Much of the match is built around Suzuki's strikes and submissions throwing Kobashi off his game and while Kobashi keeps trying to draw him into a slugfest, Minoru's having none of it. The finish falls a bit flat with the crowd, as it's a pretty crazy stretch of moves that just sort of come out of nowhere. I think the idea was that Kobashi realises half-way through the match just how much of a threat Minoru is to his title reign, so he says "fuck it" and goddamn finishes Suzuki before he can destroy Kobashi's knees further.

Kobashi.gif

i reviewed this match for the old Straight Shooters. good stuff.

I don't think some people are understanding what people are getting worked up about when it comes to hiring who they hire. It's not that they think Giant Bomb is necessarily wrong in doing what they're doing (because they're not wrong) it just represents the industry at large. It's about opportunity.

In a lot of ways, it's kind of like Cena or Orton being the champion again. People at large don't necessarily dislike Cena or Orton, they dislike the idea that it's the same thing again. It's the same old types of people getting the same opportunities and those who aren't this type of person or don't have this connection don't get the shot.

The game industry is fucking tiny. And 90% of it is white dudes that all know each other and live in the same city.
This is all understandable, but I think it's valid that a gaming site should probably find a way to reach out to the demographic that makes up 45% of gamers. These hirings, while fine, represent what that site means for the industry. It'll stay 90% white dudes until they're made very aware that they need to try harder.

Sephzilla

This is all understandable, but I think it's valid that a gaming site should probably find a way to reach out to the demographic that makes up 48% of gamers. These hirings, while fine, represent what that site means for the industry. It'll stay 90% white dudes until they're made very aware that they need to try harder.

I'd like to point out that the 48% of gamers are women stat is a loaded as fuck stat.

Okay, as a thought experiment, let's say only the top 5% of fighters are on PEDs. Or even better, let's say BJ is fighting Rush St. Pierre again--someone who is widely speculated to be on (the very difficult to detect) HGH. What's the upside for him to fight a clean fight against someone who has every physical advantage because of the designer drugs he's using?

That he never has to worry about any of his wins being taken away. That he never has to worry about what might happen if any of his team or training staff come forwards with proof he was on PEDs (ala Lance Armstrong). That he never has to worry about missing out on a payday by being popped for PEDs pre fight.

That's the upside in your scenario

Also, let's be fair, there are people in the top 5% of the sport that aren't on PEDs. I bet you that there are UFC champs that aren't. Plenty of people who thought they'd never got caught, who took every precaution, have been, after all.

I only dipped my head in the water for a little bit before getting out. But it seems like there's some butthurt people because GB hired two white guys for their open positions instead of hiring women/minorities. Because hiring based on demographic is clearly more important than hiring based on who's the most qualified.

And then shit slinging started on all sides.

So are you saying there are no qualified women or minorities and that white guys just so happen to keep getting these jobs because quite simply, they're born better?
jbfiyo81I0WnX8.png

kirblar

I bet they hold Charlotte back as long as possible to try and wait out the switchover to the IRL HHH/Steph era, in order to protect her from Dunn's vision of women's wrestling.
there's too many white men.
Hiring way too many Abercrombie/Muscle-Fitness looking white guys was a massive issue in the '00s. People don't want to root for people who look like overdogs.

Showaddy

I bet they hold Charlotte back as long as possible to try and wait out the switchover to the IRL HHH/Steph era, in order to protect her from Dunn's vision of women's wrestling.

Hiring way too many Abercrombie/Muscle-Fitness looking white guys was a massive issue in the '00s. People don't want to root for people who look like overdogs.

Charlotte's 28 to be fair, they've got to bring her up fairly soonish.

That GB thread is kind of hilarious/depressing.

In regards to someone's mind being blown away by the term cis
wut

Man, I must be getting old because all of these new-found labels are fucking stupid.

louie.gif

the gif of whoever the fuck guy that people post videos of whenever they want to go on about how unPC they are pretty much captures it.

it's the year 2014. trans people are not a new discovery. get over it.

kirblar

That GB thread is kind of hilarious/depressing.

In regards to someone's mind being blown away by the term cis

the gif of whoever the fuck guy that people post videos of whenever they want to go on about how unPC they are pretty much captures it.

it's the year 2014. trans people are not a new discovery. get over it.
I would actually bet money on surveys showing that a majority of the population is absolutely clueless on those issues. Not out of malice, but because the population is so relatively small and invisible when people are growing up that most people won't have the opportunity to interact with people in it and learn.

I would actually bet money on surveys showing that a majority of the population is absolutely clueless on those issues. Not out of malice, but because the population is so relatively small and invisible when people are growing up that most people won't have the opportunity to interact with people in it and learn.

Sure, whatever, but I think we could agree that upon learning about them you probably shouldn't immediately dismiss it by saying these new labels are fucking stupid.

Top Bottom