• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

RP912

Banned
There is a fighting game tournament where the matches on the main stream take place in a boxing ring and the trophies are championship belts.

You lost me at boxing ring :/. I'm all for the whole presentation side of tournaments but that's just plain silly.

That's like having a football field open for a madden tournament.

XenoRaven

You lost me at boxing ring :/. I'm all for the whole presentation side of tournaments but that's just plain silly.

That's like having a football field open for a madden tournament.
It's just meant to be fun and silly. The guy that runs it like wrestling and wanted his tournament to have the same over-the-top style. It's not there because they want to portray the players as real fighters or anything.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but WWE put AJ Styles in their list of "Top 5 Superstars you didn't know were in WWE." It seems odd that they would mention him with the likes of Kevin Von Erich, The Freebirds, and the Rock and Roll Express.

I know it's not like this is a nod that will lead to his WWE debut, but it's nice that they at least acknowledge his existence and significance in wrestling.

RP912

Banned
It's just meant to be fun and silly. The guy that runs it like wrestling and wanted his tournament to have the same over-the-top style. It's not there because they want to portray the players as real fighters or anything.

Of course.

I guess the whole concept reminds me of the karate fighters commercial for some strange reason.

RP912

Banned
I've never played DOTA or even seen a video of the game play. Am I strange.

Not quite. My friends never heard of the game at all and they deep into gaming.

Hell one of my friends is a big strategy gamer and not familiar with dota.

IV been thinking about it. Can we put Sid in the lex luger nothing special column . Like he main evented 2 manias , yet he is really unremarkable outside of crazy promos .

WHAT 22

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but WWE put AJ Styles in their list of "Top 5 Superstars you didn't know were in WWE." It seems odd that they would mention him with the likes of Kevin Von Erich, The Freebirds, and the Rock and Roll Express.

I know it's not like this is a nod that will lead to his WWE debut, but it's nice that they at least acknowledge his existence and significance in wrestling.

WWE has a fairly decent relationship with NJPW. EXcept when they call Tanahashi a Japanese wrestling fan. I know NJPW used to run commercials for WWE on it when they were coming over.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
With Santino out of the ring, that means the only OVW kids left in WWE are Brock, Orton, Cena, Cody, and Sandow. Unless Kofi was one, and I just don't remember him.

Man he really should get a chance to be in WWE. The guy is really talented and could be a decent midcard talent. The problem is they wanted to sign him to a developmental deal for $500 a week during training, which he balked at(making 6 figures in TNA at the time).

What are you guys on about? AJ literally has piles and piles of money. He's on a Colt Cabana level of making money somehow while on the indies

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also keep in mind AJ isn't a drug addict, partier, divorced, or has a need for expensive clothes. He probably made sure he was set a while ago. Seen a lot of cruiserweights even say WCW paid them VERY well.

Also keep in mind AJ isn't a drug addict, partier, divorced, or has a need for expensive clothes. He probably made sure he was set a while ago. Seen a lot of cruiserweights even say WCW paid them VERY well.

WCW paid everyone very well during Bischoff's reign. While it was good for the wrestlers, it was also part of WCW's downfall -- among other things, of course. It was also why WWF was in worse shape, because suddenly everyone was demanding more money, as strong competition typically does.

This is also why I'm sure every WWE wrestler wants TNA to turn it around. If there was a strong competitor to WWE, they'd be more inclined to pay better and seek out hidden talent. Plus, fans would benefit because WWE would have to take some risks to keep their top spot.

For that alone, I really miss WCW's presence, if not the product itself.

tm24

Oh man, it seems like the main event for CMLL Juicio Final is going to the Rush vs Negro Cases Hair vs Hair match. Goddamn that is going to be so damn good. RUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSHHHH!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, it seems like the main event for CMLL Juicio Final is going to the Rush vs Negro Cases Hair vs Hair match. Goddamn that is going to be so damn good. RUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSHHHH!

Oh damn. Negro Casas gonna lose his locks? Should be great.

Styles was reportedly making six figures ever since they landed On Spike TV and was the first TNA guy to get a guaranteed contract. Around 08 he confirmed he was making just under 400,000 dollars and seemed to get raises with each contract. Other wrestlers have said he's smart with his money and he's still cleaning up as one of the only big names on the indies and a top guy in japan. One of the lucky wrestlers to actually not need to work for WWE to have made a decent amount of money.

Towards the end, Hulk was making either 500 or 700k per APPEARANCE.

That is fucking nuts.

Jesus, no wonder they're so far in the red. Just think of how much that 4 years of Hulk on TV would have paid for. They could have actually made a crazily-good product with that much more money.

Hulk has value, for sure, but not anywhere near that much value in 2009-13.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hulk Hogan is pretty much the pinnacle of what you would want to be doing by the time you're done in wrestling. Talking pure income, nothing to do with all the dumb shit he's had to pay for. But just think. He's probably making a mil per appearance at this point or close to it. If he didn't have the wife to deal with and his other legal problems, he'd have a huge warchest of WWF and WCW money.

But the key here is that he owns his own merch. He makes all that money from WWE selling his shit. That's incredible. Do you think he makes money off NWO merch too? Probably.
Were hair vs hair matches born because a guy was losing his hair but he didn't want the fans to be upset about him cutting it?

They were born out of Mask vs Mask matches, but sometimes a luchadore would have to fight someone who didn't have a mask, so he would have to put something else up. IE his hair.

Jesus, no wonder they're so far in the red. Just think of how much that 4 years of Hulk on TV would have paid for. They could have actually made a crazily-good product with that much more money.

Hulk has value, for sure, but not anywhere near that much value in 2009-13.

No, no, no. That was in WCW when it was dying. That was when they told Russo the Hogan thing becasue TV basically said, 'we can not afford to have him appear' thus why the supposed Hogan vs Booker thing never happened. He waited out his contract, and I'm sure he was set for life. I imagine with the NWO angle and no competition, WWE probably paid him a truckload for the merch alone. I can't even imagine his Wrestlemania payday.

Styles was reportedly making six figures ever since they landed On Spike TV and was the first TNA guy to get a guaranteed contract. Around 08 he confirmed he was making just under 400,000 dollars and seemed to get raises with each contract. Other wrestlers have said he's smart with his money and he's still cleaning up as one of the only big names on the indies and a top guy in japan. One of the lucky wrestlers to actually not need to work for WWE to have made a decent amount of money.

Welcome!

tm24

Oh damn. Negro Casas gonna lose his locks? Should be great.

Yeah, there's gonna be a bunch of shenanigans going on in that match, but the likely outcome is Casas losing his hair since he's mostly dominated this feud by being the crafty veteran. Rush is the best guys

its becasue WCW money on crazy shit like this

RadiantAshamedFish.gif

$750,000

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hogan going crazy and seeing Warrior in the mirror could have been money. IF it was with Savage instead. Like if Savage didn't come to WCW until 1998, and Hogan was seeing his old Mega Powers rival everywhere? Appearing in some mirror, Macho Man would ham it up unlike Warrior who just sort of stood there.

I can't believe Warrior came to WCW and didn't try to change anything about his look or entrance. It's 1998, and you're dressed like this
hqdefault.jpg

When this is what's cool in wrestling
nwo.png

cmon dude

tm24

Well also because once a mask is off your career is done . You can still make money without hair

Not always true, especially nowadays. Shocker became even more popular after losing his mask. People still love Volador Jr (they just want him to turn back rudo, or beat the shit out of La Sombra)

Not always true, especially nowadays. Shocker became even more popular after losing his mask. People still love Volador Jr (they just want him to turn back rudo, or beat the shit out of La Sombra)

or you can just got to the WWE and pretend you never lost it. they'll even make you World Champ.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WTF? Is this serious?

Not exactly, I did the math when I saw this and it's definitely a nope. Added all the ad rates up. Didn't even subtract. It might be considered such if it includes merch sales as well, maybe.

Top Bottom