• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

ib2akwYDvkuasU.gif

CourteousTornAvocet.gif

Cagey

Banned
In an analysis of National Football League commentary, it was found that sports media figures are more likely to refer to a white athlete as a student of the game or a technician, while they will refer to a black athlete as a “beast,” an “animal,” or a “machine.”

Hmmm. Well it's messed up but true. Never hear the word beasting too much for any White football players. "PEYTON MANNING IS BEASTING!"

Part of the issue is the terminology praises certain types of players: hyper-athletic players v. hyper-technical players. For QBs, the white guys are (for the most part) the slow pocket passer, the black guys are more athletic. Players who produce highlight reel athletic plays would get the animal comparison, just based on how I think of the words. Even then, "machine" is a word I immediately associate with Brady/Peyton because those dudes seem like cyborg QBs from the near future sometimes in their methodical dissection of opposing defensive schemes.

Does anyone call JJ Watt a "student of the game" or "technician", rather than beast/animal etc. because his game is so physically dominant? Probably not contemplated because the narrative is most concentrated on quarterbacks (where the racial bias can be most troublesome in describing players).

Aaron Rodgers would be the right guy to demonstrate the problems with bias in using the terms. He makes plenty of athletic plays, and I would guess the praise he gets is student-of-the-game type stuff.

That OT won't be complete until Criminal Girls fans invade it and expose our community as the racists we truly are.

Revenge is a dish best served cold and oh-

so slow.

jmdajr

Part of the issue is the terminology praises certain types of players: hyper-athletic players v. hyper-technical players. For QBs, the white guys are (for the most part) the slow pocket passer, the black guys are more athletic. Players who produce highlight reel athletic plays would get the animal comparison, just based on how I think of the words. Even then, "machine" is a word I immediately associate with Brady/Peyton because those dudes seem like cyborg QBs from the near future sometimes in their methodical dissection of opposing defensive schemes.

Does anyone call JJ Watt a "student of the game" or "technician", rather than beast/animal etc. because his game is so physically dominant? Probably not contemplated because the narrative is most concentrated on quarterbacks (where the racial bias can be most troublesome in describing players).

Aaron Rodgers would be the right guy to demonstrate the problems with bias in using the terms. He makes plenty of athletic plays, and I would guess the praise he gets is student-of-the-game type stuff.

Hmmmm. JJ Watt is indeed a beast. I was gonna mention him. Still not the same as say Marshawn Lynch.
Now that dude is a beast.

jmdajr

Remember Rap is crap and the No limit soldiers?

Vince must be sad he missed out on that one. Then again maybe he hates country music.

Cagey

Banned
Hmmmm. JJ Watt is indeed a beast. I was gonna mention him. Still not the same as say Marshawn Lynch.
Now that dude is a beast.

Outside of the QB position, the troublesome terminology is "high character" and "strong work ethic" and "tireless motor" and "deceptively (fast/strong/quick/agile)" and "overachiever" for white players and "raw project" and "athletic freak" and "motivational problems" and "underachiever" for black players.

In essence, white players can thrive due to work ethic and character overcoming their obvious athletic failings, and black players thrive due to athleticism and fail because of work ethic and character failings.

Son Of D

Just watched Extreme Rules 2012 for the first time. Yeah I have to say that Brock/Cena ending was stupid. Really don't see why Cena had to win that one.

Just watched Extreme Rules 2012 for the first time. Yeah I have to say that Brock/Cena ending was stupid. Really don't see why Cena had to win that one.

Now remember that he showed up totally unscathed the next night on Raw. Such massive mishandling of a huge storyline that had people watching that didn't normally watch.

Such a shame. Brock came back so hot. They had to have him beat the streak to regain his hype. Breaking Trip's arm didn't do it (as well done as that moment was).

Vince's hard on for lashly I feel like is a big part Missing form the article . Dude was getting the big push till he left. Henry was a monster which injries.

Think it has more to do with look than race. Seems if your not one of the few worthy you circle the drain in the mid card.

Gorillaz

That Cena loss from Brock was probably the biggest misstep since his comeback.

Vince's hard on for lashly I feel like is a big part Missing form the article . Dude was getting the big push till he left. Henry was a monster which injries.

Think it has more to do with look than race. Seems if your not one of the few worthy you circle the drain in the mid card.

Lashley left I thought because of the way management was treating his chick/him backstage race relations wise. I forget the name of the person but I remember looking that up and hearing it yeaaaaarssss back and that it bugged him or something

That Cena loss from Brock was probably the biggest misstep since his comeback.

Lashley left I thought because of the way management was treating his chick/him backstage race relations wise. I forget the name of the person but I remember looking that up and hearing it yeaaaaarssss back and that it bugged him or something

Wasn't it Michael Hayes?

Verendus

Banned
I wonder how big of a star Brock even is for the WWE. He seems to be about a big of a deal as he was when he was in the WWE a decade ago, which is not much. He seems like he's just another guy, especially with Wrestlemania 30's performance getting so much spin in The Rock's absence. Dude was much bigger in the UFC but I don't think that is translating to anything significant to his run in the WWE. I wonder if that's because WWE messed up his booking immediately upon his return in that match which just halted whatever could be. Kind of like Brotista popping over 5 million viewers when he returned and then just descending into oblivion after coming out looking like a big baby in terrible fashion, hugging heels and then winning the Rumble.

Del rio is whats would have happened if lashly stayed. Talk about minorities getting shafted Dude has won the rumble, MITB and multi time champ .plus dominated the WHC scene

Dude couldn't get over because he has the charisma of a soggy waffle

For me, I've always felt the big gold belt was just as valid as the WWF/WWE heavyweight belt, even if it wasn't seen that way behind the scenes. It's lineage and the guys that carried it (even in the WWE) made it in my eyes equivalent. They include it in major title counts too.

And I see no issues in the women's division which is like a chocolate box of all the wonderful things that happen when you mix various races.

But... this Rusev storyline... yeah. That's a problem. And that Booker vs HHH storyline? Yeah. That was a problem too. Not pushing R Truth when he was massively over? Also a problem.

So, who do we want to see get the knee jerk push from this?

I wonder how big of a star Brock even is for the WWE. He seems to be about a big of a deal as he was when he was in the WWE a decade ago, which is not much. He seems like he's just another guy, especially with Wrestlemania 30's performance getting so much spin in The Rock's absence. Dude was much bigger in the UFC but I don't think that is translating to anything significant to his run in the WWE. I wonder if that's because WWE messed up his booking immediately upon his return in that match which just halted whatever could be. Kind of like Brotista popping over 5 million viewers when he returned and then just descending into oblivion after coming out looking like a big baby in terrible fashion, hugging heels and then winning the Rumble.

The only barometer to judge his star power on is PPV buys, and the last non-WM/RR (those will draw regardless) PPV he was on was Summerslam 2013 and that did about 300,000. Every PPV Brock has been on since he's been back has done at least 230,000, his return did 250,000, so he's at least as much of a draw now as he was when he initially came back.

Son Of D

Merch sales would have plummeted. Do you want total anarchy in the WWE Universe?

We need to make sacrifices every now and then. Eat, sleep, kill Cena, break the streak.

Now remember that he showed up totally unscathed the next night on Raw. Such massive mishandling of a huge storyline that had people watching that didn't normally watch.

Such a shame. Brock came back so hot. They had to have him beat the streak to regain his hype. Breaking Trip's arm didn't do it (as well done as that moment was).

Cena showed up on Raw unscathed? Really? I wasn't watching at the time so I've been catching up on a few major events and matches I missed. That just makes it worse.

And yeah, Lesnar really should have been this undefeated monster. It'd basically give his appearances a bigger "shit just got real" feel to them. Plus it would have helped the build to his Mania match with Taker a lot (Undefeated Lesnar vs Taker's Streak).

Striker

Del rio is whats would have happened if lashly stayed. Talk about minorities getting shafted Dude has won the rumble, MITB and multi time champ .plus dominated the WHC scene

Dude couldn't get over because he has the charisma of a soggy waffle
Winning the Rumble and MitB means nothing, look how it's helped guys for the past several years. Booking afterwards matters far more and neither did him favors. Sheamus is similar, he's won a Rumble, has had lengthy title reigns, and a King of the Ring, but he's been in no stories in ages.

They were high on Lashley because he was top face to accompany Donald Trump in that storyline. Getting a title was a hurdle because they also had Cena on the show.

I think it was related to Edge and Kristal, not totally sure. How they wanted his real life GF do a romance angle with Edge but she declined it.

And yeah, Lesnar really should have been this undefeated monster. It'd basically give his appearances a bigger "shit just got real" feel to them. Plus it would have helped the build to his Mania match with Taker a lot (Undefeated Lesnar vs Taker's Streak).

He should have been but that would've been smart use of a person they're mad at for leaving and being successful. The only reasons I've heard for not keeping Brock strong are fairly childish. It was that they had to humble him or they were afraid Brock would leave after one match. Neither make sense since Lesnar is only in it for the money and they were giving him plenty of that. It's not like he can show up and get destroyed in the UFC again with out losing his marketability and a negotiating power over Vince.

Verendus

Banned
The only barometer to judge his star power on is PPV buys, and the last non-WM/RR (those will draw regardless) PPV he was on was Summerslam 2013 and that did about 300,000. Every PPV Brock has been on since he's been back has done at least 230,000, his return did 250,000, so he's at least as much of a draw now as he was when he initially came back.
It seems like he's doing nothing significant outside of that first match with Cena. He's basically a part time main eventer like Triple H or Undertaker. Rock seems like the only legit draw WWE has booked in the past few years whose involvement actually makes some waves.

I'm sure WWE has taken Wrestlemania 30 as a sign that they need to push more stars and build a better overall product. It can't be an accident that the Shield got such a huge push with Evolution jobbing for them repeatedly, and it seems like Trips is focusing more and more on elevating stars.

somedevil

They were high on Lashley because he was top face to accompany Donald Trump in that storyline. Getting a title was a hurdle because they also had Cena on the show.

I think it was related to Edge and Kristal, not totally sure. How they wanted his real life GF do a romance angle with Edge but she declined it.

Meltzer was talking about Lashley. Its seems when he wanted to leave from what remains on his contract. He got that because Hayes said some racist stuff about him. So they signed an agreement that got his release and in return he can never tell anybody what Hayes said about him.

jmdajr

We need to make sacrifices every now and then. Eat, sleep, kill Cena, break the streak.

Cena showed up on Raw unscathed? Really? I wasn't watching at the time so I've been catching up on a few major events and matches I missed. That just makes it worse.

Cena had an arm sling.

But also a smile!

Meltzer was talking about Lashley. Its seems when he wanted to leave from what remains on his contract. He got that because Hayes said some racist stuff about him. So they signed an agreement that got his release and in return he can never tell anybody what Hayes said about him.

Awful, awful but somehow also coinciding with my interest of not seeing bobby lashley. Man.

PS Hayes is the biggest evil of them all.

jmdajr

According to PWInsider.com, a very strange lawsuit filed against WWE Diva Natalya was dismissed on 7/7 in Florida.

The report notes Christopher Donnelly, who is currently incarcerated in the state of Pennsylvania, filed a hand-written lawsuit against Nattie Neidhart (aka WWE Diva Natalya) threatening to “go to the media” unless he was awarded $250,000.

In the lawsuit, Donnelly claimed Neidhart was a “dominatrix who had beaten him while they were at hotels all over the United States” from 2005-2009, forced him to endure sexual abuse, and forced him into prostitution in Miami, Florida.

A Judge dismissed the suit on Monday saying the complaint was filled with “delusional language” and failed to provide any standing under Florida law.

somedevil

Statement from UStream:

We are sad to tell you that we have decided to shut down our Pay-Per-View (PPV) feature on October 1st, 2014.

It’s always a tough decision to discontinue any feature, but we want to direct our resources to focus on other features and continue providing the best live streaming platform possible.

July 9th, 2014 we will no longer allow scheduling of PPV events past September 30th.
September 14th, 2014 PPV event creation will be disabled.
October 1st, 2014 we will shut down our PPV product, remove all PPV events and make all public PPV videos private videos.
October 30th, 2014 all PayPal payments to broadcasters for ticket sales will be complete.

So does this mean the G1 can still on be Ustream because its happening before Sept 30?

Cagey

Banned
It seems like he's doing nothing significant outside of that first match with Cena. He's basically a part time main eventer like Triple H or Undertaker. Rock seems like the only legit draw WWE has booked in the past few years whose involvement actually makes some waves.

I'm sure WWE has taken Wrestlemania 30 as a sign that they need to push more stars and build a better overall product. It can't be an accident that the Shield got such a huge push with Evolution jobbing for them repeatedly, and it seems like Trips is focusing more and more on elevating stars.

They don't have Lesnar come down and randomly destroy people often enough when he's on the show. He can't just come down, stand there, and have Paul play hype man.

Every time Lesnar has an appearance where he's not wrestling, he should interrupt some bullshit Kingston/Ziggler match, murder them to death with no motivation besides it's funny to him to stomp people out, and THEN you have Heyman come out and start talking.

Remind the audience every week that Lesnar is an evil monster who kills your favorites for sport. He's the Predator damnit.

Verendus

Banned
They don't have Lesnar come down and randomly destroy people often enough when he's on the show. He can't just come down, stand there, and have Paul play hype man.

Every time Lesnar has an appearance where he's not wrestling, he should interrupt some bullshit Kingston/Ziggler match, murder them to death, and THEN you have Heyman come out and start talking.

Remind the audience every week that Lesnar is an evil monster who kills your favorites for sport. He's the Predator damnit.
You're right, it's likely a problem of not having any interesting booking.

Guys like Cena, Lesnar, Triple H, Undertaker, Batista are only as big or as interesting as the storylines you book around them. But then, I don't think Undertaker has ever been that big of a star, he seems to get a lot of hype mostly. They're basically like your normal main eventers. And that's where WWE messes up because they can't book that well anymore.

The Bryan/Triple H/Batista/Orton storyline was obviously an accident seeing as their original plan was Batista/Orton.

Top Bottom