• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Sami Zayn is the dumbest name since Dolph Ziggler. And he'll probably have the same ceiling as Dolph in WWE too.

Truth. Let's listen to what is without a doubt his finest work to date

oh god, Collins just straight MUGGIN in this video. Great song though.

I somewhat agree and that makes me sad because, from what I've seen, they're two of the best going these days.

There's still a shred of me that's saying they'll do right by Ziggler in the long run. His MITB performance this year made me SCREAMING for him to win. I have no doubts about Zayn. His lack of a gimmick is gonna help him where all the Adam Rose's and the Emma's have since floundered. Who knows he might get Paige'd where he gets booked to shit through no fault of his own. I'm not saying Paige is blameless but really, she could be fixed so easily.

I'm not big on Zayn's look because he looks like one of those cornballs who wear scarves, golf hats and drink Starbucks but I think his ceiling is pretty high. He's got substance though, which helps. I need to see more of that personality though, more of a fleshed out character. I don't feel like I've seen enough to fully get behind him yet.

EDIT: i didn't even notice Duncan's avatar until just now haha

Showaddy

Even if they never let him past the mid-card Zayn's going to awesome on the main roster, can't wait to see him on RAW. Hunter absolutely loves him though so that should help.

I'm not big on Zayn's look because he looks like one of those cornballs who wear scarves, golf hats and drink Starbucks but I think his ceiling is pretty high. He's got substance though, which helps. I need to see more of that personality though, more of a fleshed out character. I don't feel like I've seen enough to fully get behind him yet.

hey man ouch :(

I can't wait for that Bryan/Zayn midcard feud next year!

In all seriousness though, Zayn is great in the ring that is obvious. His ring work alone will get him over on the main roster. I've been a fan of his since I saw him years ago at an indie show in Detroit so maybe I'm a tad bias.

kofi-kingston-bio.png

Still employed

theszgfykwsls.gif

I wonder who the hell comes up with these names:

Ok you are now...SAMI ZAYN!
And you're...DOLPH ZIGGLER!

Probably Vince

Daniel Bryan talked about how he was given a list of names when he signed. Names such as Buddy Peacock and Lloyd Boner. He didn't like any of them so he went to William Regal who suggested Daniel Bryan and management accepted it. No idea if it's different under the Triple H regime, but guys did have input at some point.

Matt Sydal was pretty great too, Singularity42.

Yeah he is damn good worker too. Shame injuries and stupidity killed his chances at ever getting anywhere on the main roster. I mean didn't he get a couple of pushes? Once as the Major Brothers (then Vince found out him and Ryder weren't brothers and shitcanned that idea) then as the Edgeheads, and then as a singles. Then he got busted for synthetic weed after that he got hurt and it was pretty much over for him

Or am I thinking of someone else?

Daniel Bryan talked about how he was given a list of names when he signed. Names such as Buddy Peacock and Lloyd Boner. He didn't like any of them so he went to William Regal who suggested Daniel Bryan and management accepted it. No idea if it's different under the Triple H regime, but guys did have input at some point.
Lloyd BOner huh?

it all comes full circle

I don't think those names were from WWE. From my memory he jokingly wanted Buddy Peacock and Lloyd Boner was what he always joked WWE would give him.

Showaddy

I do hope there's someone in NXT to blame for some of these names. I'd hate to think the wrestlers themselves where responsible for naming themselves Sawyer Fulton, Hugo Knox, Bull Dempsey etc.

Doesn't WWE have to come up with all the names so they can own the rights to a performers name and likeness. I know they frown upon guys owning their name and likeness rights ie Punk and Warrior.

I just assume they use a random name generator and you are just stuck with what it spits out.

Alucard

Banned
kofi-kingston-bio.png

Still employed

I have no problem with this. He's a good hand in the ring, pulls off some memorable spots at least a few times a year, and he fills out the mid-card. His shirts also apparently do well, and I've seen him in a lot of extra-curricular stuff like making commercials, doing charity work, etc.

#RespectTheBoom

yeah but could Sydal carry guys as well as Sami
There's still a shred of me that's saying they'll do right by Ziggler in the long run.
ibrMm0OSc3Wery.gif

Yeah he is damn good worker too. Shame injuries and stupidity killed his chances at ever getting anywhere on the main roster. I mean didn't he get a couple of pushes? Once as the Major Brothers (then Vince found out him and Ryder weren't brothers and shitcanned that idea) then as the Edgeheads, and then as a singles. Then he got busted for synthetic weed after that he got hurt and it was pretty much over for him

Or am I thinking of someone else?
you've got the careers of both Bourne and Curt Hawkins in there

yeah but could Sydal carry guys as well as Sami

ibrMm0OSc3Wery.gif

you've got the careers of both Bourne and Curt Hawkins in there

Yeah I wasn't sure about Bourne's career. I didn't pay much attention a few years ago would randomly pop in and out of watching. Shows how memorable either of those 2 guys careers really were that I would little combine their careers into one mishmash of bullshit.

Thanks for clarification!

Kofi definitely earns his keep whenever there's some battle royale or some shit. Like when he was entered in the MITB match you knew he had no chance of winning but you weren't pissed he was in it because he was definitely gonna do something awesome. And he did.

I think this guy has real star potential here.

Might even be the greatest of all time!

Happy Pusser

Damnit now I'm going to play with this stupid name generator all night

Thanks a lot Wesker!

Kofi definitely earns his keep whenever there's some battle royale or some shit. Like when he was entered in the MITB match you knew he had no chance of winning but you weren't pissed he was in it because he was definitely gonna do something awesome. And he did.

Kofi makes his own opportunities. He's given lemons and makes lemonade out of them. He turns chicken poop into chicken salad.

Alucard

Banned
Weird Al?

Are you kidding me?

Nintendo?

Really, really?

Anime?

WHAT? WHAT?

Wrestling?

...sign me up for that Survivor Series team.

I'm into the following:

-Pro wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, DGUSA, NXT, NJPW, PWG)
-Post-rock (Mogwai, EITS, etc.)
-Movie soundtracks (The Fountain, LotR...)
-Most music genres
-EPL soccer (Go Gunners)
-NHL (Go Pens)
-Reading (Asimov, C.S. Lewis, and mostly sci-fi, but I read other fiction as well)
-Teaching English
-Writing about wrestling
-DDP Yoga
-Comics (mostly Daredevil and Green Arrow)

And I used to be into but now have little time for...
-Anime (Cowboy Bebop, Satoshi Kon and Miyazaki movies, and anything good)
-Video games (up to PS2 and Wii)
-Movies (of the typical nerd variety, but even those don't grab me as much anymore)

Who wants to be on my Survivor Series team?

I don't much care for the era of bad Attitudes, but I think one of my favorite wresting storylines was crazy ass Ken Shamrock looking for Stephanie. Like remember when he was putting Christian in the ankle lock, and they bloodbathed him, and the lights came back on, and he still had Christian in the ankle lock and apparently made Gangrel and Edge soil themselves running away?

WHERE IS SHEEEE??? AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That definitely gave Christian Bale a run for funniest "WHERE IS SHE!?!?" voice

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
When Ascension debuts, I hope they make their first appearance with coming out after another team's win and destroying them. Let them continue to do that rather than vignettes since they aren't great on the microphone and will most likely have a short shelf life.

They could even join Lana and Rusev.

I'm into the following:

-Pro wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, DGUSA, NXT, NJPW, PWG)
-Post-rock (Mogwai, EITS, etc.)
-Movie soundtracks (The Fountain, LotR...)
-Most music genres
-EPL soccer (Go Gunners)
-NHL (Go Pens)
-Reading (Asimov, C.S. Lewis, and mostly sci-fi, but I read other fiction as well)
-Teaching English
-Writing about wrestling
-DDP Yoga
-Comics (mostly Daredevil and Green Arrow)

And I used to be into but now have little time for...
-Anime (Cowboy Bebop, Satoshi Kon and Miyazaki movies, and anything good)
-Video games (up to PS2 and Wii)
-Movies (of the typical nerd variety, but even those don't grab me as much anymore)

Who wants to be on my Survivor Series team?
Survivor_Series_1989_-_Hulkamniacs_Team_01.jpg

Let's do this

Raw64life

I always liked the 4 vs 4, main eventer, mid-carder and tag team vs. main eventer, mid-carder and tag team SS matches the best. Of course, they don't have nearly enough tag teams to pull this off and make it interesting nowadays.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My favorite thing about Attitude Era is Ken Shamrock bring crazy, Big Bossman in general, and Debra as long as there's no mic near her, and she's not wrestling.
I always liked the 4 vs 4, main eventer, mid-carder and tag team vs. main eventer, mid-carder and tag team SS matches the best. Of course, they don't have nearly enough tag teams to pull this off and make it interesting nowadays.

That and Jake was as over as a mid-carder as a modern day main eventer. Most of the midcard was. And the tag team was actually booked as a threat when working together, even against main eventers.

I do hope there's someone in NXT to blame for some of these names. I'd hate to think the wrestlers themselves where responsible for naming themselves Sawyer Fulton, Hugo Knox, Bull Dempsey etc.

Well, Chris Harris did pull "Braden Walker" out of his ass. It happens...

I'm glad all the people with awful looks go to UFC instead of pro wrestling now
post-37737-1277749268ikk4n.jpg

Holy shit, that is a *terrible* place for that tattoo. It looks like he's got a fungus.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '92 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F

Survivor Series '93 has to be bottom of the wrassle-barrel, right? The second half was sub-F, man. Jesus Christ.

Top Bottom