• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Yeah, a wrestler I liked seeing on TV was released due to a minor thing. Hey, someone who has worked all her life to get to the point where she was lost everything because of one iPod case where we don't even know what's up behind the scene. Let's all point and laugh not only at her, but at her fans, because people who like stuff I don't deserves to be laughed at when something that genuinely makes them sad happens.

But of course, it's all a joke and we're all friends. Don't you get the joke?

Not ok. Actually sad.

nah i'll blindly call her a scumbag without the proper research or evidence of the case itself.

new emma

BrPqzVjCcAA_z4P.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE also treats women worse than it treats men. Keep that in mind as you assemble the Outrage Machine

somedevil

From my main man bix over on Twitter (read bottom to top):

www.twitter.com/davidbix

So basically:
Judge didn't care, charge was dropped entirely for 1 day of community service. If there was a legitimate case, he likely would've wanted a fine. This basically means LP were being assholes.

So WWE fired her for the negative attention.

Interesting. Its either that plus she was low on the totem pole in a time of budget cuts or there is more to this story than this.

edit: I wonder if the person who found this on the Hartford.gov website feels bad what he is done.

kiguel182

So, according to the WWE, stealing an iphone case is worse than drunk driving or doing drugs when you are an athlete?

This company...

Sephzilla

I don't think there's any way you can spin it - Emma being let go looks bad for WWE in light of other talent getting busted for worse and have gotten slaps on the wrist or no punishment at all.

Swagger's punishment for possession was a jobber entrance for his WHC match at WrestleMania.

Cagey

Banned
I don't exactly see a whole lot of refuting of the idea that "WWE booking is god awful", but I do see a lot of "I dislike this performer and think they are talentless because of their booking".

Because you're just being absurd if you're trying to deny that these call-ups are being mishandled. Some like Adam Rose are just gimmicks that don't translate to larger, weekly-changing audiences. But the likes of Paige are just straight up mishandled.

You can find someone defending every performer on this thread. Not everyone has talent. Not everyone is great. Not everyone is worth having on TV. You like them in NXT. Not everyone in NXT is great, no matter how well liked they were in front of the NXT crowd. EDIT: I'll add that I've watched NXT weekly for a few months, and no, I don't see the big deal for a number of the performers down there. I'm sure you disagree.

Call-ups are mishandled? Sure. What, exactly, was supposed to be done with Emma? She's a generic female with a goofy dance and a recognizable (if annoying) song. EDIT2: Can you book her to be awesome? Yes. Here's the million dollar question: you can book anyone to have a chance to be awesome, does it mean the performer deserves it? Not all of them, no. Emma could have been booked to look great... would that mean Emma was great, or the booking? In Emma's case, I say the latter.

And with that, why does it matter if it's Emma or any random woman who is next in line?

I don't think Rusev is fantastic, though I'm slowly warming to him. I don't think Big E is super great either, but I hope there's enough time for him to turn that around. I just think the women get the worst of it, since they rarely even get 10 minute matches to prove themselves.

I remember a lot of people here being down on the Wyatt Family when they debuted until around Summerslam where he had that great match with Daniel Bryan.

Emma nor Paige has ever gotten that. Like, I don't know what you expect when they only get 3 to 5 minute matches They need that moment to shine.

So I'm certainly going to blame WWE itself for that.

I'm not surprised that the two guys you're not high on are the biggest ones from NXT, size-wise.

Aiii

So not worth it
It will be okay Sblargh, Emma will be fine, plenty of wrestling companies around that she can go to.

Well, hey, it's not like she was going to get utilized in an interesting way. We loose nothing but I feel bad for her though.
i'm in a good mood today so...

blonde - http://instagram.com/iarinharamos
brunette - http://instagram.com/thaiseid
My man.
Call-ups are mishandled? Sure. What, exactly, was supposed to be done with Emma? She's a generic female with a goofy dance and a recognizable (if annoying) song.

I didn't think we were supposed to figure that out. That's a shame that they call up people without anything good to do with them.

I'm not surprised that the two guys you're not high on are the biggest ones from NXT, size-wise.

Are you implying that I only like small dudes? I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I HAD THE BIGGEST CRUSH ON KEVIN NASH FOR THE LONGEST TIME. I think the Big Show has moments of brilliance. I have personally met and shook Kane's hand, who god willing will one day be the mayor of this great state.

I just don't dig what Big E and Rusev are doing right now. But you'll notice I never called them garbage. I just want them to get better.

Call-ups are mishandled? Sure. What, exactly, was supposed to be done with Emma? She's a generic female with a goofy dance and a recognizable (if annoying) song. EDIT2: Can you book her to be awesome? Yes. Here's the million dollar question: you can book anyone to have a chance to be awesome, does it mean the performer deserves it? Not all of them, no. Emma could have been booked to look great... would that mean Emma was great, or the booking? In Emma's case, I say the latter.

Emma's entire gimmick was someone you didn't take seriously until she proved herself to be a really good wrestler. I think her match at NXT Arrival against Paige proved that. But it never got to that point in WWE.

El-Suave

Just because two characters are silly doesn't mean they work well together though.

They work very well together - the mixed tag match they had at NXT that inspired the RAW debut is evidence to that. She had a shot for sure, but the booking and the AWFUL commentary, especially when NXT talent is involved, doesn't do them any favors. They're not even trying to help those people get over and sell them as wrestlers - Paige, Adam Rose and Emma all fell victim to that. Thank got Bo had those awesome vignettes during which Lawler, Cole and JBL had to shut up.

I'm not interested in what Vince thinks, I'm more interested in what Hunter thinks.

She'll probably be back in a couple of months. Maybe in Australia! That's a long time until then and they need all of this to blow over due to the bad publicity.

Just remember the All Holy GOAT, Bryan and what happened with him.

Sblargh

Banned
Are you implying that I only like small dudes? I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I HAD THE BIGGEST CRUSH ON KEVIN NASH FOR THE LONGEST TIME. I think the Big Show has moments of brilliance. I have personally met and shook Kane's hand, who god willing will one day be the mayor of this great state.

I just don't dig what Big E and Rusev are doing right now. But you'll notice I never called them garbage. I just want them to get better.

They did had a good match with each other on MitB. I don't know what's up with Big E since he has been IC champion, given mic time and all that; but Rusev shows up to work and they say "hey, today you will be in a match designed not to showcase your talent".

Ithil

You can find someone defending every performer on this thread. Not everyone has talent. Not everyone is great. Not everyone is worth having on TV. You like them in NXT. Not everyone in NXT is great, no matter how well liked they were in front of the NXT crowd.

Call-ups are mishandled? Sure. What, exactly, was supposed to be done with Emma? She's a generic female with a goofy dance and a recognizable (if annoying) song.

What was to be done with Emma was exactly what was done with her on NXT. She started as a heel on NXT, supposed to annoy you with her bad dancing. Then the crowd started to enjoy it and cheer her. So they ran with her, and gave her a face character of a clumsy, aloof person unaware of how bad her dancing was. Even if it didn't catch on, you'd still have a heel to use.

On the main roster, she started in a dance segment immediately and did her goofy dance completely out of context, while middle aged white man in a suit Michael Cole insisted how "fun" it was to do, for some reason. Then she had 400 matches with Santino against Fandango and whoever Fandango's woman was at the time, then never appeared again.

If you can't find a single thing to improve in that handling, I don't know what to tell you. No one said she had to be some kind of revolution, but what's the point in sending her out to die?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bringing up what Jack Swagger may or may not have done isn't going to bring Emma back. friends. Don't try to drag others down with you. Also, completely different time period with different circumstances. It's obvious WWE is just looking for reasons to chop people. Same thing would have happened to Adam Rose if he got busted stealing.
Emma doesn't have the Regal/HBK hookup.

I'm not interested in what Vince thinks, I'm more interested in what Hunter thinks.

She'll probably be back in a couple of months. Maybe in Australia! That's a long time until then and they need all of this to blow over due to the bad publicity.

She has much less potential than Bryan did, plus Cena and Patterson really wanted him back.

alstein

When you're on the bubble, anything can get you fired, esp when they're looking to cut costs.

Emma may be awesome, but the WWE main crowds didn't give a shit about her. (poor booking has something to do with this)

At least we know why she wasn't on RAW with Santino Monday.

Getting fired for almost nothing is super-shitty though.

It is kind of funny with the all the recent call ups the one by far the nxt marks were lowest on was Rusev, yet he's by far the most interesting, and successful performer of them all. Never trust nxt marks, especially when it comes to Adam Rose. Jesus christ, how could people be so wrong.

Sephzilla

Bringing up what Jack Swagger may or may not have done isn't going to bring Emma back. friends. Don't try to drag others down with you. Also, completely different time period with different circumstances. It's obvious WWE is just looking for reasons to chop people. Same thing would have happened to Adam Rose if he got busted stealing.

image.php

Yeah, a wrestler I liked seeing on TV was released due to a minor thing. Hey, someone who has worked all her life to get to the point where she was lost everything because of one iPod case where we don't even know what's up behind the scene. Let's all point and laugh not only at her, but at her fans, because people who like stuff I don't deserves to be laughed at when something that genuinely makes them sad happens.

But of course, it's all a joke and we're all friends. Don't you get the joke?

Not ok. Actually sad.

We were doing this just fine without getting your permission.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What was to be done with Emma was exactly what was done with her on NXT. She started as a heel on NXT, supposed to annoy you with her bad dancing. Then the crowd started to enjoy it and cheer her. So they ran with her, and gave her a face character of a clumsy, aloof person unaware of how bad her dancing was. Even if it didn't catch on, you'd still have a heel to use.

On the main roster, she started in a dance segment immediately and did her goofy dance completely out of context, while middle aged white man in a suit Michael Cole insisted how "fun" it was to do, for some reason. Then she had 400 matches with Santino against Fandango and whoever Fandango's woman was at the time, then never appeared again.

If you can't find a single thing to improve in that handling, I don't know what to tell you. No one said she had to be some kind of revolution, but what's the point in sending her out to die?
j9CxXepTZFieY_e.jpg

joelseph

It is kind of funny with the all the recent call ups the one by far the nxt marks were lowest on was Rusev, yet he's by far the most interesting, and successful performer of them all. Never trust nxt marks, especially when it comes to Adam Rose. Jesus christ, how could people be so wrong.

He better thank Lana's ass every night he goes to sleep.

Sblargh

Banned
Emma had the amazing thing where she would be awkward and silly during a match; even when it was a relatively stiff match like the one with Paige. She did her 'rasslin things without breaking character, her mannerisms were all in the right place. That's what made me a fan; she had personality during the match and not just on interviews or whatever.

Cagey

Banned

That plan sounds terrible to watch. You know what happens to that person on the main roster, coming out to dance with no context and no explanation from the announcers? They don't get booed, they don't get cheered, they get dead silence. Besides that, that just sounds like a terrible gimmick, albeit the best you can manage if that's the basis of her character ("goofy dance who people wind up liking and then she's a "good wrestler").

Just because it worked and was popular in front of NXT crowds doesn't mean it can 1) work on TV or at live house shows or 2) that it's objectively good. I think it's shit.

how many times do we need to say Full Sail University crowds are the worst thing for the WWE.

Emma, just like most dumbass gimmicks they bring up from NXT, was doomed from day one, minute one.

Adam Rose bombed. Paige bombed. Bo is bombing cause the "ironic" NXT smark crowd has nothing to do with normal people with jobs that attend RAW tapings.

Top Bottom