• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

somedevil

i know you own stock in this damned company and they probably pay you to shill it online and that clouds your judgement, but how is Bo gimmick different? delusional heel who thinks he's a positive face. only difference is that in NXT he actually started as a straight face.

Rose only has an entrance but was over on NXT. not over on RAW.

Paige had the anti-diva gimmick which makes zero sense since she acted and talked like every other diva. she's really white and british, that's her only distinctive feature in NXT and it's her only distinctive feature in RAW.

whatever Vince pays you to promote this dying company online it's not enough, friend.

The bolded stuff is why some here don't take you seriously or just put you on ignore.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This reply is why some here don't take you seriously or just put you on ignore.

But Bo Dallas started out as an earnest babyface. Paige didn't show any antidiva tendencies at all. Almost everything Lamb-Lamb said is spot-on.

and lol @ the people saying "Bo is working for me". of course he is, you're the ones who watch NXT and every show Vince barfs out. the Vaddevillans are also working for you, and Tyler Breeze, and Flair's daughter.

they debut on RAW, they bomb, midcard, jobbing.

MOO KITTY KITTY

F0fyH.gif

jmdajr

I wish you fuckers would stop using the word retarded. You're supposed to be better than that.

The word needs to be taken back for people who deserve to be called that. If you're born with mental limitations it's not fair.

But many people with full intellectual capacity do the damnedest things. I think they deserve to be called that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
and lol @ the people saying "Bo is working for me". of course he is, you're the ones who watch NXT and every show Vince barfs out. the Vaddevillans are also working for you, and Tyler Breeze, and Flair's daughter.

they debut on RAW, they bomb, midcard, jobbing.

Tyler Breeze is going to have a hard-ass time because some of what he draws from is the same as what Fandango draws from. I hope he can overcome because I'm done with Fandangler and I'd like to see Breeze get a good shot.

Vaudevillains are horrendous!

And don't badmouth Charlotte The God.

Sephzilla

Because he's 6'7" and has a decent look. He's also seemingly compliant with what the WWE wants to do with him. Remember when he was WHC? Does no one else remember that he jobbed ALL the time as WHC?

Dancing around the issue

Swagger's never been a draw and has seemingly been a career underachiever, gets busted for possession of drugs and gives the company negative light in the shadow of their biggest event of the year, he's still around.

Aiii

So not worth it
I am sorry Lambda, but your statement that Bo is only working for people that watch NXT is factually incorrect. Guy gets a damn good reaction live for a new debut. His gimmick is working.

Cagey

Banned
Because Wrasslefans like their community to be a safe spot where it's totally cool to be a piece of shit wherein you can harass people for any-fucking-reason with impunity, while anyone who calls you on it just doesn't like fun. And it if you ain't down with that I got two words for ya!

Please. It's because Stroud applies a college freshmen level understanding of social issues, analysis, and intelligence to critiquing a television show he simultaneously loves to watch but needs to elevate himself above the plebs.

Shit makes Jezebel look like serious academic scholarship.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dancing around the issue

Swagger's never been a draw during his history with the company, gets busted for possession of drugs and gives the company negative light in the shadow of their biggest event of the year, he's still around.

I'm not dancing around the issue. He has a look. They think they can build a draw with him. They don't think they can around Emma. They cut Emma. Business being a business.

I don't know why he still in the roster. I like him and he doesn't deserved what the WWE "Nose" had done to him. Release him and let him go somewhere else where he can do what he loves.

That's what he and his fans want. Which is why he'll be the new JTG in terms of longevity, only worse: keeps getting paid and keeps being extended for no reason, despite his best efforts and wishes.

Every roster purge, when the phone rings he eagerly picks up, only to hear a slowly increasing in volume laugh as his facial expression changes to horror followed by depression.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bo Dallas' "moment of silence" has a real strong chance to draw insane heat.

I can't wait for one that lasts 3+ minutes and comes back from a commercial break and people are howling for his blood.

Tyler Breeze is going to have a hard-ass time because some of what he draws from is the same as what Fandango draws from. I hope he can overcome because I'm done with Fandangler and I'd like to see Breeze get a good shot.

just remember that everyone's opinion on tyler breeze is almost entirely predicated on having a HOT AS HELL match against Sami Zayn. Shit ain't gonna happen on a Raw unless they want to.

Sephzilla

Breeze's gimmick is a bit more flexible than Fandango's is. Fandango is entirely built around being some cocky ballroom dancer. Breeze is a model/movie star/singer/snobby celebrity archetype that can go in various directions.

Ithil

From the month or so I saw Paige on NXT, what in the hell was her NXT gimmick? Honest question. She didn't seem to have one to me. She was The Pale One With The Title.

I watch NXT and I see Sasha Banks and I instantly get why she can be successful on TV. I see Charlotte and due to the look (in addition to ring stuff, because being a pro wrestler isn't just "wrestle good in ring"), I get it. I see Paige and I think "she has a good look, her matches are OK, they need to do something with her to play off the look." Maybe in the months prior NXT gave her a gimmick, damned if I know.

For example, I see Bayley and I think "welp that could be any number of random wrestlers who cares."

Agreed. It's not the crowd's fault or problem. It's WWE for not recognizing there's a difference in the demos and tastes of the NXT crowd versus the larger national TV crowd. But then, the WWE is left having to ignore what's working in NXT, at which point you wonder is NXT just worth it for giving wrestlers the experience and not so much for crafting the characters, if they're gonna bomb outside of the echo chamber.

Paige's NXT gimmick was she was the "anti-Diva" who wore black instead of the luminous colours of the rest and wrestled a rough, un-Diva like style with a lot of knees, headbutts, brawling, etc, and had a confident, serious character always looking for a fight.
On the main roster, she debuts as the scared, timid lamb who is a rookie that only gets fluke wins.

Ingenious.

Sblargh

Banned
Agreed. It's not the crowd's fault or problem. It's WWE for not recognizing there's a difference in the demos and tastes of the NXT crowd versus the larger national TV crowd. But then, the WWE is left having to ignore what's working in NXT, at which point you wonder is NXT just worth it for giving wrestlers the experience and not so much for crafting the characters, if they're gonna bomb outside of the echo chamber.

The echo chamber is a type of fan they should be striving to recover. It is family friendly, it is enthusiastic, it is willing (over-willing even) to accept whatever is new, and so on. I do think there is a positive to the WWE catering to the demographic of nerds who enjoy wrestling and, like nerds who enjoy other things, are dedicated to it.
-
About Lambda:
Someone gets angry that wrestlers other people like don't make Vince McMahon richer due to appealling to a mainstream audience and, at the same time, accuses people who put their personal preference in front of the demands of WWE's stockholders as corporate apologists. Wrestling is a fucked up world.

i wish i could predict the future but here's an aproximation:

Valdevilles debut, silence. like fuckin funeral silence. comedy jobbers on Main Event.

Tyler Breeze. gets a decent, fun and playful reaction. then people realize how one note he is. Fandangoed within 2 months.

Charlotte... gets the belt on her debut, probably feuds with Rosa Mendes, loses the belt wiht no build up on a random PPV. shows up for Divas Battle Royals.

Emma got fired? Poor girl, for real.

I'd like to say that she would be alright in TNA but behind the scenes, they most likely don't treat female talent right.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Zack has no merch. Man he's in big fucking trouble.
I don't know why he still in the roster. I like him and he doesn't deserved what the WWE "Nose" had done to him. Release him and let him go somewhere else where he can do what he loves.
That's what he and his fans want. Which is why he'll be the new JTG in terms of longevity, only worse: keeps getting paid and keeps being extended for no reason, despite his best efforts and wishes.

Every roster purge, when the phone rings he eagerly picks up, only to hear a slowly increasing in volume laugh as his facial expression changes to horror followed by depression.
They should just have Ryder work NXT, I'm not even joking.

I just. Fuck. There is no universe in which Emma would have gotten over with the current Raw audience.

They'd have to give a shit about their divas division for that to happen. I don't get why they even have one in the state it's in. I think even our most negative on NXT folks could agree that it's something they do a billion times better than they do on Raw.

I don't know if it's Vince or other people in charge or if they're just too lazy to change it since it's been like that for so long, but I'd really like them to start giving a shit about women's wrestling. That could be another like weekly show they do on the Network, once people start giving a shit. They could have PPVs every now and then so we don't have to see John Cena VS THE DEMON KANE or whatever the fuck.

I just, jesus christ. You treat it like a big deal, you get two wrestlers who can really go, let them have a long match that can tell the story without the commentators making shitty jokes, you build up some more people and by god you have a division. It just depresses the hell out of me that we're not likely to see Charlotte vs Nattie again but at Wrestlemania or something.

I don't get it. Use it or lose it.

Please. It's because Stroud applies a college freshmen level understanding of social issues, analysis, and intelligence to critiquing a television show he simultaneously loves to watch but needs to elevate himself above the plebs.

Shit makes Jezebel look like serious academic scholarship.

To be clear I wasn't defending Stroud as he tends to be the type of dude who doesn't really get feminism... or wrestling, but rather saying that wrestling fans are largely intolerant douchebags. Also, suck it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One thing is for certain.

Sami hasn't been called up because he's going to bomb through the floor. Unless they stick him in a tag team or something.

jmdajr

Rusev has done ok. They haven't fucked that up yet.

Super obviously The Shield as well.

Trying to think who can come up next and AT LEAST be IC title contender Kofi level.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Charlotte... gets the belt on her debut, probably feuds with Rosa Mendes, loses the belt wiht no build up on a random PPV. shows up for Divas Battle Royals.

Now hold on, I think you're just reading from a summary of Paige's RAW appearances...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Paige's NXT gimmick was she was the "anti-Diva" who wore black instead of the luminous colours of the rest and wrestled a rough, un-Diva like style with a lot of knees, headbutts, brawling, etc, and had a confident, serious character always looking for a fight.
On the main roster, she debuts as the scared, timid lamb who is a rookie that only gets fluke wins.

Ingenious.
Also wears purple rather than black.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rusev has done ok. They haven't fucked that up yet.

Super obviously The Shield as well.

Trying to think who can come up next and AT LEAST be IC title contender Kofi level.

Kalisto is tiny, but he'll be over like Daniel Bryan's wrestling career

Cagey

Banned
The echo chamber is a type of fan they should be striving to recover. It is family friendly, it is enthusiastic, it is willing (over-willing even) to accept whatever is new, and so on. I do think there is a positive to the WWE catering to the demographic of nerds who enjoy wrestling and, like nerds who enjoy other things, are dedicated to it.

Recover? They never lost those fans. They lost the casual fans in the same 18-34 male demo that those NXT fans belong to. Residing in the same age-gender demo doesn't mean they want the same thing, however.

Ithil

i know you own stock in this damned company and they probably pay you to shill it online and that clouds your judgement

whatever Vince pays you to promote this dying company online it's not enough, friend.

I'm in the process of criticizing the company for its handling on a number of things, but I say something positive about one thing (Bo) and I'm a shill?

What an easy argument for you.

Cagey

Banned
To be clear I wasn't defending Stroud as he tends to be the type of dude who doesn't really get feminism... or wrestling, but rather saying that wrestling fans are largely intolerant douchebags. Also, suck it.

I agree with all of that.

Too sweet me, bro.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just. Fuck. There is no universe in which Emma would have gotten over with the current Raw audience.

They'd have to give a shit about their divas division for that to happen. I don't get why they even have one in the state it's in. I think even our most negative on NXT folks could agree that it's something they do a billion times better than they do on Raw.

I don't know if it's Vince or other people in charge or if they're just too lazy to change it since it's been like that for so long, but I'd really like them to start giving a shit about women's wrestling. That could be another like weekly show they do on the Network, once people start giving a shit. They could have PPVs every now and then so we don't have to see John Cena VS THE DEMON KANE or whatever the fuck.

I just, jesus christ. You treat it like a big deal, you get two wrestlers who can really go, let them have a long match that can tell the story without the commentators making shitty jokes, you build up some more people and by god you have a division. It just depresses the hell out of me that we're not likely to see Charlotte vs Nattie again but at Wrestlemania or something.

Maybe we should just enjoy NXT forever and hope people just stay there

One thing is for certain.

Sami hasn't been called up because he's going to bomb through the floor. Unless they stick him in a tag team or something.

A lot of people think his in-ring work will get him over, but it won't do it for Raw. Who's the last person who got over on in-ring work? Don't say Daniel Bryan because it was his run as Douchebag to Hell No that got him over.

Aiii

So not worth it

This is a bit dramatic QueenOfThorns, it is not like Emma was the only good hand there. We had good main roster women's matches on PPV before. Kailtyn vs. AJ at last years payback delivered. There will be more, AJ, Paige, Natalya are still around. Good girls are coming up through NXT stilll.

It is not all lost, keep hope alive.

Top Bottom