• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Sephzilla

how many times do we need to say Full Sail University crowds are the worst thing for the WWE.

Emma, just like most dumbass gimmicks they bring up from NXT, was doomed from day one, minute one.

Adam Rose bombed. Paige bombed. Bo is bombing cause the "ironic" NXT smark crowd has nothing to do with normal people with jobs that attend RAW tapings.

Adam Rose bombed because his gimmick was always stupid. He's literally nothing more than a new flavor of Brodus Clay.

Paige "bombed" because she was never allowed to be Paige.

Bo's gimmick really only works when he has a belt.

Why is caring about misogyny and rape culture a bad thing. I assume the stroud stuff is derogatory. I don't know who that is so I'm just assuming it's a bad thing.

I am burned out, Wrasslegaf.

edit: also I think Bo is doing fine right now. I think everything he's done so far has been a homerun.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Santino segments are a home run for silly personalities. It just didn't work out.
IMO this all just goes back to WWE thinking they can hotshot NXT gimmicks without any kind of proper transition. Most people don't watch NXT and don't know who these people are or what they're about. The FSU crowd is a poor litmus test for how a wrestler's going to be received world wide.
He's supposedly not resigning and done when his contract's up later this year over the whole "still don't know shit about the PPV bonus situation post-Network launch" deal, so that may be moot in a few months
They should just make him the new Sin Cara.

Marvel

could never
Let us remember the good Emma moments, friends.

tumblr_n83f5qShD41ssirlzo1_500.png

Too soon.

edit: also I think Bo is doing fine right now. I think everything he's done so far has been a homerun.

Damn right.

Ahh, so you're a racist then!

What's the difference, pal? You need to cut the passive aggressiveness every time someone disagrees with you.

washington had a choice to make a rape joke on a pg rated wrestling show without asking anyone if it's okay. so avoidable

the scanner in the packaging of an iphone case was shitty, forgot it was counted and she lost her job. and this is from what i've read. i don't know if there's more to this.

He's supposedly not resigning and done when his contract's up later this year over the whole "still don't know shit about the PPV bonus situation post-Network launch" deal, so that may be moot in a few months
I feel like we've been hearing this forever now yet WWE is still giving him plenty of chances. I don't think he goes at this point, or WWE would be smarter thanto put him Iin their last main event

joelseph

Adam Rose bombed because his gimmick was always stupid. He's literally nothing more than a new flavor of Brodus Clay.

Bo's gimmick really only works when he has a belt.

Agreed on all points but Bo. Bo's gimmick is working. We are still talking about the butterfingers lib.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why is caring about misogyny and rape culture a bad thing. I assume the stroud stuff is derogatory. I don't know who that is so I'm just assuming it's a bad thing.

I am burned out, Wrasslegaf.

You're not burned out. I get a lot of crap about the stuff I mentioned in like page 2 (for 100ppp folks) on this topic but I feel it's a legit issue. But at the same time, I can be a little self-effacing.

Washington's comment DOES promote rape culture but more significantly, it was a rape joke and it's right of WWE to get someone out due to it. Problem is they don't do it fairly, across the board. You don't get the same behavior based on who is doing what.

That said, congrats on Titus O'Neal's Humanitarian award from the Rainbow PUSH Coalition.

Bo5PGd2.jpg

His friendship with Darren Young shows what big steps people can take to help others. I love it, Maggle.

Ithil

how many times do we need to say Full Sail University crowds are the worst thing for the WWE.

Emma, just like most dumbass gimmicks they bring up from NXT, was doomed from day one, minute one.

Adam Rose bombed. Paige bombed. Bo is bombing cause the "ironic" NXT smark crowd has nothing to do with normal people with jobs that attend RAW tapings.

Paige didn't even have her NXT gimmick. She still doesn't have any gimmick, or character. Bo is getting over well enough, and what's more, his gimmick on the main roster is new, it's not the one he had on NXT. Adam Rose has a bad, limited gimmick to begin with, he was only ever an entrance.

If you're gonna feed the NXT hate boner at least try to make sense.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
washington had a choice to make a rape joke on a pg rated wrestling show without asking anyone if it's okay. so avoidable

the scanner in the packaging of an iphone case was shitty, forgot it was counted and she lost her job. and this is from what i've read. i don't know if there's more to this.

Washington was likely told to wing it on commentary. So he did. He said something that he probably shouldn't have and wasn't given a chance to apologize or anything for it. There's been plenty of times where people have said things they shouldn't have.

If you don't have a receipt, you don't own anything. That's economics 101. That's why the receipt exists.
only has a job because of nepotism .

But that's true. Never would have gotten a developmental contract without her dad, regardless of how much she improved.

Sblargh

Banned

They're the crowd WWE wishes it had, apparently normal people with jobs don't land good TV deals. Also, they're probably not the ones who sign for the Network either.

Regardless, it works for me; it obviously works for a lot of other wrestling fans since people who constantly brings it up as a standard for what is good. And the NXT crowd just have fun; they go to the show, they seem to have a good time, they make it a fun show. It's not their responsibility to be the gourmets who test what the mainstream for which WWE has sacrificed a lot of his core fanbase over the past 10 or 15 years likes.

XenoRaven

I've always felt that nearly everyone that gets called up should leave their gimmick behind. Those gimmicks developed because fans followed them from the moment they broke in to the moment they went to the main roster. There's like at least a year of context behind the gimmick and possibly more. Then they just send them up to RAW and no one has any idea why this woman is doing this dumb dance or why she's so awkward.

I will say that Adam Rose wasn't a terrible bet since he has a song that crowds can sing along with, but it's doesn't seem like it's paying off.

Also I have a job and I like Emma and Bo.

Sephzilla

Fired over one remark. Not allowed to say, 'sorry, i fucked up.' Just... instantly fired. What's the difference? Other than the fact that one's illegal, and one's immoral.

Again. Like Emma, we don't know the full story. For all we know, maybe he had already been saying a bunch of shit back stage that had him in hot water with the boss. Considering how he instantly blew up on Twitter immediately after being fired, I don't think that's out of the realm of reality.

Not to mention there's a huge difference between promoting rape culture and maybe/maybe not accidentally stealing an iphone case from a self checkout at wal mart.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed on all points but Bo. Bo's gimmick is working. We are still talking about the butterfingers lib.

It's still goddamned funny. And security removing Bo from NXT is still good. Timeless work. Will be remembered fondly.

Because Wrasslefans like their community to be a safe spot where it's totally cool to be a piece of shit wherein you can harass people for any-fucking-reason with impunity, while anyone who calls you on it just doesn't like fun. And it if you ain't down with that I got two words for ya!

El-Suave

I agree. You can add Big E not doing as well as he could because they dropped the five count gimmick. That would have helped him in WWE as well.
When I see the NXT crowd flipping out over the Becky Lynch debut though, that raises question marks. She's fine and she can wrestle - but nobody can tell me any normal crowd would react well to her horrific dance.

Sephzilla

The real problem with NXT call ups is that WWE immediately thinks that calling up a hot NXT talent means that their reaction on the main show will be the same as their NXT reaction only multiplied by however larger the WWE crowd is from the NXT crowd.

This is the mistake they made with Emma, Paige, and Big E. Bo actually got some build up instead of just immediately being thrown out there and guess what, his gimmick is starting to click on the main show.

I agree. You can add Big E not doing as well as he could because they dropped the five count gimmick. That would have helped him in WWE as well.
When I see the NXT crowd flipping out over the Becky Lynch debut though, that raises question marks. She's fine and she can wrestle - but nobody can tell me any normal crowd would react well to her horrific dance.

Absolutely. I hope they're smart enough to realize they're giving her such a warm reception because she's great, not because her gimmick is great.

Santino is going to turn to Twisted Tea to sooth his pain and develop a drinking problem
Fuck, I might too.

XenoRaven

You're not burned out. I get a lot of crap about the stuff I mentioned in like page 2 (for 100ppp folks) on this topic but I feel it's a legit issue. But at the same time, I can be a little self-effacing.

Washington's comment DOES promote rape culture but more significantly, it was a rape joke and it's right of WWE to get someone out due to it. Problem is they don't do it fairly, across the board. You don't get the same behavior based on who is doing what.

That said, congrats on Titus O'Neal's Humanitarian award from the Rainbow PUSH Coalition.

Bo5PGd2.jpg

His friendship with Darren Young shows what big steps people can take to help others. I love it, Maggle.
But didn't he blame Darren for all their tag team losses and then beat him up? Way to fact check Jesse.

JavyOO7

Wooo, I finally finished the Kenta Kobashi 'Miraculous Resurrection' set! So, if you ever fancy watching 20 hours of Kobashi matches, save this link;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHD5pI8S5U-EMAtxV6Tw9SACrzpR_DXwR

Think I'm going to start on my World of Sport set next. Haven't watched any old-school British wrestling in some time.

That Kobashi list at first glance is missing a tag match with Kobashi/Honda vs Akiyama and his partner. Forget what year though. (definitely NOAH)

AW was awesome . Mad PTP legit . Heel manger said a bad thing . News at 11. Maybe becssue I'm tired I the COOL heel. But I didn't mind what he said at all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Again. Like Emma, we don't know the full story. For all we know, maybe he had already been saying a bunch of shit back stage that had him in hot water with the boss. Considering how he instantly blew up on Twitter immediately after being fired, I don't think that's out of the realm of reality.

Not to mention there's a huge difference between promoting rape culture and maybe/maybe not accidentally stealing an iphone case from a self checkout at wal mart.

People on here blow up because someone insulted their favorite wrestler that they have no personal attachment to. Of course he'd blow up because he lost his job over one thing.

Again, one's illegal and the other isn't. Sucks, but it's absolutely WWE looking for an excuse to get rid of people. I've never said she sucks nor have I said she should have lost her job, but it is what it is. WWE releases people over stupid shit all the time. They either release you or bury you so far down the card that you barely exist. Some people are exceptions because they realize they still bring in a ton of money, because the WWE is still a business. Randy Orton isn't getting released because Randy Orton is a draw and makes them money. Emma is not a draw, so they cut her. No matter how many woulda coulda shouldas there are.
Because Wrasslefans like their community to be a safe spot where it's totally cool to be a piece of shit wherein you can harass people for any-fucking-reason with impunity, while anyone who calls you on it just doesn't like fun. And it if you ain't down with that I got two words for ya!

I thought it was because Brandon Stroud accused The Rock of harassing someone that Brandon Stroud doesn't know and felt that he, as a man, needed to come in and defend her. Because she clearly can't do it for herself.

Ithil

The real problem with NXT call ups is that WWE immediately thinks that calling up a hot NXT talent means that their reaction on the main show will be the same as their NXT reaction only multiplied by however larger the WWE crowd is from the NXT crowd.

This is the mistake they made with Emma, Paige, and Big E. Bo actually got some build up instead of just immediately being thrown out there and guess what, his gimmick is starting to click on the main show.

What they ought to be taking from people who do well on NXT is what their strengths and weaknesses are, what gimmicks they're good at, etc, and then you bring them up and make a plan based on that assessment. But the idea that "they got over in NXT, that means they're already over on the main roster before debuting and we don't have to do anything, since everyone watches NXT" is moronic.

Paige didn't even have her NXT gimmick. She still doesn't have any gimmick, or character. Bo is getting over well enough, and what's more, his gimmick on the main roster is new, it's not the one he had on NXT. Adam Rose has a bad, limited gimmick to begin with, he was only ever an entrance.

i know you own stock in this damned company and they probably pay you to shill it online and that clouds your judgement, but how is Bo gimmick different? delusional heel who thinks he's a positive face. only difference is that in NXT he actually started as a straight face.

Rose only has an entrance but was over on NXT. not over on RAW.

Paige had the anti-diva gimmick which makes zero sense since she acted and talked like every other diva. she's really white and british, that's her only distinctive feature in NXT and it's her only distinctive feature in RAW.

whatever Vince pays you to promote this dying company online it's not enough, friend.

Sephzilla

People on here blow up because someone insulted their favorite wrestler that they have no personal attachment to. Of course he'd blow up because he lost his job over one thing.

Again, one's illegal and the other isn't. Sucks, but it's absolutely WWE looking for an excuse to get rid of people. I've never said she sucks nor have I said she should have lost her job, but it is what it is. WWE releases people over stupid shit all the time. They either release you or bury you so far down the card that you barely exist. Some people are exceptions because they realize they still bring in a ton of money, because the WWE is still a business. Randy Orton isn't getting released because Randy Orton is a draw and makes them money. Emma is not a draw, so they cut her. No matter how many woulda coulda shouldas there are.

Swagger has never been a draw no matter how hard they push him. So why is he still around?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish you fuckers would stop using the word retarded. You're supposed to be better than that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Swagger has never been a draw no matter how hard they push him. So why is he still around?

Because he's 6'7" and has a decent look. He's also seemingly compliant with what the WWE wants to do with him. Remember when he was WHC? Does no one else remember that he jobbed ALL the time as WHC?

Cagey

Banned

From the month or so I saw Paige on NXT, what in the hell was her NXT gimmick? Honest question. She didn't seem to have one to me. She was The Pale One With The Title.

I watch NXT and I see Sasha Banks and I instantly get why she can be successful on TV. I see Charlotte and due to the look (in addition to ring stuff, because being a pro wrestler isn't just "wrestle good in ring"), I get it. I see Paige and I think "she has a good look, her matches are OK, they need to do something with her to play off the look." Maybe in the months prior NXT gave her a gimmick, damned if I know.

For example, I see Bayley and I think "welp that could be any number of random wrestlers who cares."

They're the crowd WWE wishes it had, apparently normal people with jobs don't land good TV deals. Also, they're probably not the ones who sign for the Network either.

Regardless, it works for me; it obviously works for a lot of other wrestling fans since people who constantly brings it up as a standard for what is good. And the NXT crowd just have fun; they go to the show, they seem to have a good time, they make it a fun show. It's not their responsibility to be the gourmets who test what the mainstream for which WWE has sacrificed a lot of his core fanbase over the past 10 or 15 years likes.

Agreed. It's not the crowd's fault or problem. It's WWE for not recognizing there's a difference in the demos and tastes of the NXT crowd versus the larger national TV crowd. But then, the WWE is left having to ignore what's working in NXT, at which point you wonder is NXT just worth it for giving wrestlers the experience and not so much for crafting the characters, if they're gonna bomb outside of the echo chamber.

Top Bottom