• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

I'm not going to get into arguments with people here because it's fucking pointless. So I'll just point out the whole Paige anti-diva thing was dropped a couple of weeks into NXT, I believe it was more of a FCW thing. Her gimmick was that she was a confident badass who liked fighting which was different to the other divas and easy to get behind.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope they don't debut Kalisto and Neville at the same time. Little kids be like, 'Oh man, these guys are both high flyers! But Kalisto has a sweet mask and tattoos that I may think are cool as a small child... And Neville has big pointy ears and has gross veins everywhere. .....Did I mention Kalisto has a sweet mask and tattoos?'

I am sorry Lambda, but your statement that Bo is only working for people that watch NXT is factually incorrect. Guy gets a damn good reaction live for a new debut. His gimmick is working.

disagree completely. i saw his 60 seconds silence segment. meek pop and the biggest reaction during the silence was some dude screaming "BORING".

here's the thing, and uncle Lambda will tell you guys like it is:

i like Bo, i think his gimmick is genius but it only works if... people... sell it. right nwo they treat his character in a "fuck off weirdo" way. that's wrong.

Bo's gimmick should be sold as "this guy seems crazy, better go along with it lest he freaks out on me" and folks indulge him. it's that simple.

I hated him at first, friend. But now I can't help but...
ibqEDbBiJXlyeG.gif

oh, i dig Bo.

Aiii

So not worth it
Fine fine, return of bad humor returns, courtesy of PWI via F4W Boards:
She had a meeting with Stephanie McMahon. She offered her side of the story, that she had simply forgotten to scan the case. Stephanie seemed to accept it, and Emma told her how relieved she was that the company understood. She said it was a life long dream of her's to be there and that her whole family were so proud of her having made it to Raw. She said her father said he kept watching her appearances over and over again on the network. This is where the meeting went south. Stephanie noted that WWE had yet to launch the network in Australia and that the TOS strictly forbids people from outside of the US from signing up. She then fired Emma on the spot and pushed her backwards over a futon, comically.

Still feel bad for posting this. :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The tough part about debuting good NXT talent is they're almost all so tiny, if they debut against current main roster talent they'll look so small. Neville especially.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
One thing is for certain.

Sami hasn't been called up because he's going to bomb through the floor. Unless they stick him in a tag team or something.
Yep, I've been saying it: Christian 2.0. Unless they stick the mask back on him or retool him he will never rise above enhancement talent.

jred2k

A lot of people think his in-ring work will get him over, but it won't do it for Raw. Who's the last person who got over on in-ring work? Don't say Daniel Bryan because it was his run as Douchebag to Hell No that got him over.

Cesaro. Zeb obviously helped, but Cesaro got the rocket put on him once he started doing the swing and having lengthier matches.

The Usos have gotten over based on their ringwork since SummerSlam. Or are you going to say that it is all based on their shitty entrance dance even though they were coming out to silence until their Shield that involved no mic work or character arc for them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If they keep working Bo's 60 Seconds gimmick they can get some real heat out of it once crowd get conditioned that "hey this is the one minute where we go apeshit on this fool"

It can be glorious, especially if he goes beyond 60 seconds.

This is a bit dramatic QueenOfThorns, it is not like Emma was the only good hand there. We had good main roster women's matches on PPV before. Kailtyn vs. AJ at last years payback delivered. There will be more, AJ, Paige, Natalya are still around. Good girls are coming up through NXT stilll.

It is not all lost, keep hope alive.

This isn't just about Emma. Some of it is leftover bitterness over the AJ/Paige match on raw that was two minutes long, like the vast majority of divas matches are. I mean, if it leads to something great? Cool. But I don't have a lot of faith in that happening.

Maybe we should just enjoy NXT forever and hope people just stay there

A lot of people think his in-ring work will get him over, but it won't do it for Raw. Who's the last person who got over on in-ring work? Don't say Daniel Bryan because it was his run as Douchebag to Hell No that got him over.

THE KING OF SWING CESARRRRRRRRRRO

refwqhN.gif

Ithil

But Bo Dallas started out as an earnest babyface. Paige didn't show any antidiva tendencies at all. Almost everything Lamb-Lamb said is spot-on.

Bo's gimmick is not just "childish heel that thinks he's a face", they've altered it to give him a more "useless motivational speak" bent, which is not what he did on NXT. It's based on his NXT gimmick but it is different, and more distinct.

It's exactly what they ought to be doing. Even Rusev has changed from NXT, his pairing with Lana was more "foreign monster", now it's distinctly "Russian heel that hates America".

It helps to have a gimmick that's easy to follow when you're in front of crowd that changes weekly. Even then, crowds get confused on whether they're meant to cheer or boo Bo, cos let's face it, the average RAW crowd is dumb.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cesaro. Zeb obviously helped, but Cesaro got the rocket put on him once he started doing the swing and having lengthier matches.

The Usos have gotten over based on their ringwork since SummerSlam. Or are you going to say that it is all based on their shitty entrance dance even though they were coming out to silence until their Shield that involved no mic work or character arc for them.

Cesaro's a good pick, he does a good physical style and can showcase his character while wrestling which is rare.

Usos have gotten BETTER in the ring, for sure, but it's just that Samoan dance at the start. That's when things started to turn around.

Aiii

So not worth it
This isn't just about Emma. Some of it is leftover bitterness over the AJ/Paige match on raw that was two minutes long, like the vast majority of divas matches are. I mean, if it leads to something great? Cool. But I don't have a lot of faith in that happening.

It is happening. Feud has already begun on SD, get excited!

last person who got over on ring work and general appearance was Goldberg all the way back in 1997. dude had no air time, didn't cut promos, got pops from just running through folks in the ring.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I hope they don't debut Kalisto and Neville at the same time. Little kids be like, 'Oh man, these guys are both high flyers! But Kalisto has a sweet mask and tattoos that I may think are cool as a small child... And Neville has big pointy ears and has gross veins everywhere. .....Did I mention Kalisto has a sweet mask and tattoos?'
Neville will be made fun of by Cole and crew for his ears and he gets to have infinite matches with Kofi on top of doing PPV spots with him.

Ithil

Sami is a good talker, he will do fine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hidden muscle shaming by Sunny Mac, it makes me sad. :(

Heightist, in this case - Neville has a good body, but is cursed by being <6ft. Or however many "cubits" they measure with in Hobbiton.

I just. Fuck. There is no universe in which Emma would have gotten over with the current Raw audience.

They'd have to give a shit about their divas division for that to happen. I don't get why they even have one in the state it's in. I think even our most negative on NXT folks could agree that it's something they do a billion times better than they do on Raw.

I don't know if it's Vince or other people in charge or if they're just too lazy to change it since it's been like that for so long, but I'd really like them to start giving a shit about women's wrestling. That could be another like weekly show they do on the Network, once people start giving a shit. They could have PPVs every now and then so we don't have to see John Cena VS THE DEMON KANE or whatever the fuck.

I just, jesus christ. You treat it like a big deal, you get two wrestlers who can really go, let them have a long match that can tell the story without the commentators making shitty jokes, you build up some more people and by god you have a division. It just depresses the hell out of me that we're not likely to see Charlotte vs Nattie again but at Wrestlemania or something.

I don't get it. Use it or lose it.

The biggest Divas feud they have right now is between two people who lost their belt to each other once via fluke pin in under 4 minutes.

The Raw audience doesn't care, and frankly they haven't been given much reason to. They haven't been given reason to for numerous years. We all knew the division would go to hell once Trish, Lita, and Mickie left, but man.

Even when the Cruiserweight divsion was consistently shit for years, they eventually ended it. They have plenty of shows where they could move the division, or give it its own show, but they don't care. I've never seen somebody care about something so little and not break ties with it eventually. It's baffling.

Sblargh

Banned
Recover? They never lost those fans. They lost the casual fans in the same 18-34 male demo that those NXT fans belong to. Residing in the same age-gender demo doesn't mean they want the same thing, however.

Meh, I don't know, this goes into territory I'm really not familiar with. It seems to me (based on nothing but interwebs) that a lot of people did, in fact, stopped watching wrestling at some point after the Attitude Era.
-
NXT is the pool of talent WWE has to work with; these are the people who trained to be wrestlers; if Sami Zayn, Breeze, everyone else is destined to failed, then that's it. Where else are they gonna get their talent in a time where being a bodybuilder isn't enough? They either make indy-vanilla-flippy-midgets-whatever work or they go with a roster full of Mojo Rawley.

Aiii

So not worth it
Thread is too negative, I am bailing put for the night. See you tomorrow when the day is brighter, night guys!

I know not of what you speak. Must have me confused with somebody else. The other spider perhaps?

the drunk history joke where you said bryan's career is a future episode because his career is history.

and probably all of your posts regarding the "homeless man"

honestly what's wrong with having a homeless as champion? you hate the homeless? you probably put up spikes on the ground around your building if you owned one. prick.

fun and playful, friends

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

A) Cesaro didn't get over because of his amazing matches. He had some amazing matches when he had the US title. He got over because of Zeb, his ridiculous bromance with Swagger(ie the climbing on each others shoulders at MITB, having to catch Zeb from falling down the ramp, throwing the caps in the air), and the big swing didn't get pops because it was an amazing wrestling move. It got over because of how impressive it was. More of a feat of strength than wrestling ability. He got a personality, and he got to show it. That COMBINED with wrestling is what got him over. It's why I think he's not as good with Heyman. You barely ever see him do the kinda goofy stuff that makes him more relateable, and it shows good contrast to his very physical wrestling style.

B) Usos have easy to do catchphrases, face paint, and easy to do high flying. They're a recipe for simple marketable babyface. It won't last long, but it's good for short term overness.

I'm in the process of criticizing the company for its handling on a number of things, but I say something positive about one thing (Bo) and I'm a shill?

What an easy argument for you.

i was gonna say "mark" but it's so overused i need to find new material. considering bringing Sherdog vernacular and start using "nuthugger", which has it's origins on the Bruce Lee stans who thought he could beat Chuck Liddell with an 1 inch punch.

Yep, I've been saying it: Christian 2.0. Unless they stick the mask back on him or retool him he will never rise above enhancement talent.
Sami is a better wrestler than Christian though, with plenty of cool spot moves to get over. Dude had hot matches with Corey goddamn Graves ffs

Top Bottom