• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really don't know why WWE signed Neville over Ricochet. I guess Ricochet wasn't as big at the time, but how the fuck you gonna market Neville? Ricochet's got a good look and doesn't make my Wellness Violation signals start blaring loudly like Neville does.

jmdajr

IC champ looks good

generic_full3b.png

XenoRaven

A) Cesaro didn't get over because of his amazing matches. He had some amazing matches when he had the US title. He got over because of Zeb, his ridiculous bromance with Swagger(ie the climbing on each others shoulders at MITB, having to catch Zeb from falling down the ramp, throwing the caps in the air), and the big swing didn't get pops because it was an amazing wrestling move. It got over because of how impressive it was. More of a feat of strength than wrestling ability. He got a personality, and he got to show it. That COMBINED with wrestling is what got him over. It's why I think he's not as good with Heyman. You barely ever see him do the kinda goofy stuff that makes him more relateable, and it shows good contrast to his very physical wrestling style.

B) Usos have easy to do catchphrases, face paint, and easy to do high flying. They're a recipe for simple marketable babyface. It won't last long, but it's good for short term overness.
Usos didn't even get over until they were booked like they were actually legit contenders instead of just fodder for the heel tag team of of the month.

Sblargh

Banned
Honest question, time. A wrestler being easily marketable makes you like him more?

I.e., you like a wrestler's in-ring work, you like his gimmick, but there's no way that he can draw a mainstream audience; do you like him less because of it?

Ithil

Or if Sami can even talk. Which was Christian's best attribute.

He can, like, really well. Some of the fears about Sami are weird. He does not have the problems a number of other "indy favourites" do, namely he can actually talk naturally.

jmdajr

Honest question, time. A wrestler being easily marketable makes you like him more?

I.e., you like a wrestler's in-ring work, you like his gimmick, but there's no way that he can draw a mainstream audience; do you like him less because of it?

I don't think this a question I would ask myself.

First episode from the World of Sport set, I recommend checking out the Sammy Lee vs 'Cyanide' Sid Cooper match - Sammy's a young Satoru Sayama (OG Tiger Mask) and the match is all about showcasing his athletic ability. Totally whiffs a dropkick at the end, but good stuff nonetheless;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4723m8hHBco

World of Sport - #01 - featuring Sammy Lee (Satoru Sayama)

1. Big Daddy & Sammy Lee vs Grand Vladimir & Mel Stuart - Wolverhampton, 1981.01.24 - 00:35
2. Sammy Lee vs 'Cyanide' Sid Cooper - Southend, 1980.10.11 - Sammy Lee's UK debut - 14:56
3. Sammy Lee vs John 'Muscles' England - 1981.02.14 - 25:48
4. Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks - Wembley, 1981.06.20 - 38:05

My number 1 factor for determining if I can like a wrestler is if he makes a multi billion million dollar corporation money.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

If he has a great gimmick and great in-ring work, and he knows how to translate that, then he's marketable.

Ithil

I only give a shit if I like them or dislike them.

Sblargh

Banned
Is the real question..

"Do I hate marketable wrestlers?"

The answer is no because I judge on a case by case basis.

The question is because everyone from NXT is doomed to bomb beause real people with real jobs won't like them. Neville is amazing, but is ugly and little kids won't like him. It seems important for a lot of people that a wrestler is able to move merchandise regardless of his work.

Striker

He can, like, really well. Some of the fears about Sami are weird. He does not have the problems a number of other "indy favourites" do, namely he can actually talk naturally.
I don't watch NXT unless they're replays of some sort, so is there promos he's done where you feel he's done solid work? I wouldn't have thought Bo was going to be anything on it, but he has that sarcastic, dickhead heel shtick down well.

are you serious?

are you saying Christian is a better wrestling than Sami?
Different styles.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All the gimmicks and in-ring styles you like allign with the mainstream audience?

Bray Wyatt is over.
Rick Rude was over as a heel.
Andre the Giant was over
Jake The Snake was over.
The Great Muta was over
Ted Dibiase was over as a heel
Owen Hart was over as a heel and a face

So yes, being good at your job is a side product of being a good performer. Because I don't have this 'man, the mainstream fans they just don't get it!' attitude. Because they're not neanderthals despite how some people who post on message boards like to think as much to feel better about themselves. I don't have to like everyone they like, but they either like or hate people I like. They don't show indifference.
The question is because everyone from NXT is doomed to bomb beause real people with real jobs won't like them. Neville is amazing, but is ugly and little kids won't like him. It seems important for a lot of people that a wrestler is able to move merchandise regardless of his work.

How is he amazing? Because he can do moves? Wrestling, ESPECIALLY WWE wrestling, is more than doing moves. Why do I give a shit about the moves he can do when he's got a completely uninteresting character? There's no investment. Doesn't matter if Darth Maul does a million flips if no one knows or cares about who he is.

A) Cesaro didn't get over because of his amazing matches. He had some amazing matches when he had the US title. He got over because of Zeb, his ridiculous bromance with Swagger(ie the climbing on each others shoulders at MITB, having to catch Zeb from falling down the ramp, throwing the caps in the air), and the big swing didn't get pops because it was an amazing wrestling move. It got over because of how impressive it was. More of a feat of strength than wrestling ability. He got a personality, and he got to show it. That COMBINED with wrestling is what got him over. It's why I think he's not as good with Heyman. You barely ever see him do the kinda goofy stuff that makes him more relateable, and it shows good contrast to his very physical wrestling style.

It's odd you say that as I think Zayn will get over because he's the most relatable guy they have right now. When he talks he comes off as genuine, when he's in the ring he's as good with his expressions as he is wrestling. I honestly don't have any concerns for him and wouldn't be shocked if they're holding him back on NXT until there's a proper place for him and because of how invaluable he is when it comes to helping the other talent in development; compare Zayn/Breeze to the quality of any other Breeze match.

Top Bottom