• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Underselling the Goldberg character and his popularity is some of the most ridiculous shit I've ever read. Like, are Daniel Bryan fans that desperate to say, 'NO SEE THAT GUY'

That said, Roman Reigns ain't Goldberg.

Alucard

Banned
Underselling the Goldberg character and his popularity is some of the most ridiculous shit I've ever read. Like, are Daniel Bryan fans that desperate to say, 'NO SEE THAT GUY'

That said, Roman Reigns ain't Goldberg.

Agreed on Goldberg. He was a massive draw and didn't really have a character outside of asskicker with attitude. I loved him as a teen.

Alucard

Banned
The Emma reinstatement seems like the WWE making a snap decision after hearing about her shoplifting incident, but not having all the facts.

He's everything the smarks want to hate because on the internet, if there's a small dude with indie cred and high work rate available, they have to pick them over entertaining guys with a good look and in ring charisma. In the business of sports entertainment.

271.gif

AJ looked better then ever on RAW maybe it was the make up and slight hair change, but WWE really needs an off season so everyone can get some rest.

Ithil

Friends, how are we this fine morning. Any news from the highly credible sheets of dirt from last evening?

Oh. Oh yes. Oh yes there is.

Roman Reigns Supreme.

If the "hardcore" fans rebel and want Daniel Bryan in the top spot again, it'd be glorious to get the Reigns win and instant arrogant douche bag turn. He's everything the smarks want to hate because on the internet, if there's a small dude with indie cred and high work rate available, they have to pick them over entertaining guys with a good look and in ring charisma. In the business of sports entertainment.

Superman brofists all around.

"In ring charisma", whatever that means. Of course you forget that "internet smarks" like Ambrose, Cesaro and Harper greatly, all of whom are taller (and in two cases, bigger) than Reigns, and all were indie guys with cred.

Hasney

In the time of sleeping, getting the train and travelling to London (to work on a much better PC as well... Going to kick off about my Core Duo when I get back when these guys get i5 3470's) Emma was fired and re-hired?

That was an odd set of emotions reading through the unread pages.

jred2k

Friends, how are we this fine morning. Any news from the highly credible sheets of dirt from last evening?

Oh. Oh yes. Oh yes there is.

Roman Reigns Supreme.

If the "hardcore" fans rebel and want Daniel Bryan in the top spot again, it'd be glorious to get the Reigns win and instant arrogant douche bag turn. He's everything the smarks want to hate because on the internet, if there's a small dude with indie cred and high work rate available, they have to pick them over entertaining guys with a good look and in ring charisma. In the business of sports entertainment.

Superman brofists all around.

How odd that wrestling fans would want the product they watch to be main evented by guys that can have good matches. Should I be more concerned with how marketable the guy is?

Roman Reigns was perfect as the guy that stands on the outside of the ring until he gets the hot tag and cleans house. He has been around for almost two years and has had less than 10 televised singles matches. I think he's doing single matches with Bray at house shows right now, but the TV match they had earlier this year was abysmal.

Cagey

Banned
How odd that wrestling fans would want the product they watch to be main evented by guys that can have good matches. Should I be more concerned with how marketable the guy is?

"In ring charisma", whatever that means. Of course you forget that "internet smarks" like Ambrose, Cesaro and Harper greatly, all of whom are taller (and in two cases, bigger) than Reigns, and all were indie guys with cred.

Forget? Not at all. There's still the indie cred angle, which translates to "I knew about them before everyone did" hipster nonsense. Even for guys who didn't travel around the indies, NXT is providing that same satisfaction for segments of "hardcore" fans but delivered in-house.

It's quite obvious that the split between enjoying The Shield and enjoying 2/3rds of The Shield happened when Reigns got some spotlight. Instead of continuing to enjoy all 3, a segment of fans (whatever term you prefer to recognize the group: "hardcore" fans, "smarks", "IWC") decided that Reigns could threaten the other 2 (the smaller guys, despite Ambrose's height, and the ones with the indie cred) and he's been on their shit list since.

How absurd is that. Nothing changed except for purportedly "smart" fans engaging in some strange protectionism over guys who don't need it.

All 3 dudes are putting on shows nightly. Rollins and Ambrose are near the top and killing it. A shame you no longer can enjoy them all because of some weird conception of wrestling fandom.

joelseph

This thread moves entirely too quick. It's like coming back to work to a bunch of emails after a week long vacation. Ain't no one got time for that.

Bowser

This thread moves entirely too quick. It's like coming back to work to a bunch of emails after a week long vacation. Ain't no one got time for that.

Yeah, it's insane. Do some of you people not have outside lives? Work? lol. I basically check in during RAWs and PPVs. Like you said, ain't nobody got time for that.

Ithil

Forget? Not at all. There's still the indie cred angle, which translates to "I knew about them before everyone did" hipster nonsense. Even for guys who didn't travel around the indies, NXT is providing that same satisfaction for segments of "hardcore" fans but delivered in-house.

It's quite obvious that the split between enjoying The Shield and enjoying 2/3rds of The Shield happened when Reigns got some spotlight. Instead of continuing to enjoy all 3, a segment of fans (whatever term you prefer to recognize the group: "hardcore" fans, "smarks", "IWC") decided that Reigns could threaten the other 2 (the smaller guys, despite Ambrose's height, and the ones with the indie cred) and he's been on their shit list since.

How absurd is that. Nothing changed except for purportedly "smart" fans engaging in some strange protectionism over guys who don't need it.

All 3 dudes are putting on shows nightly. Rollins and Ambrose are near the top and killing it. A shame you no longer can enjoy them all because of some weird conception of wrestling fandom.

I've never liked Reigns as much as the other two. If his two moves don't do anything for you, what is he? I got bored of the instant match ending spear somewhere early in 2013. He was fine as a hot tag machine, but I don't have to like him just because WWE wants me to.
Once they give me something to like beyond "he stands around trying to look cool and he does two moves" I will like him more. He's nothing on the mic, either, at least Rollins is trying to improve.

This has nothing to do with "indie cred" or "vanilla midgets" or whatever else excuse that just insults me instead of addressing issues I have with him. Ambrose is more entertaining than Reigns, Rollins is more entertaining than Reigns. So I like them more than Reigns.

If they were all identical to today, but Rollins and Ambrose started wrestling in WWE, and Reigns was a ten year indie veteran, I would still like them more than him based on what they do.

jmdajr

How goes?

It was a busy day yesterday with YOU'RE FIRED, NOT FIRED, ROMAN EMPIRE, NXT SOLDIEDS SENT TO DIE, WHY WOULD ANYONE WATCH WRESTLING, OMG I HATE WRASSLIN' GIFS.

reigns_zpse90ed7a5.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's insane. Do some of you people not have outside lives? Work? lol. I basically check in during RAWs and PPVs. Like you said, ain't nobody got time for that.

I post from work,t hat's usually it.

Also: crossposting from Network thread:

Monday, Jul 7th ALL the Saturday Night Main Events show up on the Network. Fuck yes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've never liked Reigns as much as the other two. If his two moves don't do anything for you, what is he? I got bored of the instant match ending spear somewhere early in 2013. He was fine as a hot tag machine, but I don't have to like him just because WWE wants me to.
Once they give me something to like beyond "he stands around trying to look cool and he does two moves" I will like him more. He's nothing on the mic, either, at least Rollins is trying to improve.

This has nothing to do with "indie cred" or "vanilla midgets" or whatever else excuse that just insults me instead of addressing issues I have with him. Ambrose is more entertaining than Reigns, Rollins is more entertaining than Reigns. So I like them more than Reigns.

If they were all identical to today, but Rollins and Ambrose started wrestling in WWE, and Reigns was a ten year indie veteran, I would still like them more than him based on what they do.

ib1K7IewcrVOCq.gif

joelseph

I post from work,t hat's usually it.

Also: crossposting from Network thread:

Monday, Jul 7th ALL the Saturday Night Main Events show up on the Network. Fuck yes.

I post from work exclusively. As soon as I'm out for the day I'm offline. Feels like I miss so much around here!

I don't dislike Reigns, I think he likes some sorely needed charisma though. He has good ring presence but beyond that he hasn't shown me anything that makes him great as a wrestler.

I agree though, I think Rollins and Ambrose trump him for shear entertainment value.

Ithil

I don't dislike Reigns, I think he likes some sorely needed charisma though. He has good ring presence but beyond that he hasn't shown me anything that makes him great as a wrestler.

I agree though, I think Rollins and Ambrose trump him for shear entertainment value.

I never said I disliked him, there's stuff I like about Reigns, it's just not enough to justify him being in a main event slot already.

Aiii

So not worth it
The decision was made to put the IC title that Barrett held up in a Battle Royal on the 7/20 Battleground PPV from Tampa. Wrestlers in the Battle Royal thus far are Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler, Curtis Axel, Ryback, Big E, Rob Van Dam, Alberto Del Rio, Bo Dallas, Great Khali, Kofi Kingston and a character played by Damien Sandow. At this point Cesaro appears to be the favorite since he’s the one regularly losing, getting pinned by Kingston on Raw, by Ziggler in a six-man on Main Event, and also got the worst of it in a brawl with Big E on Smackdown. Cesaro is still, along with Wyatt and Reigns, one of the three people the company is earmarking for top spots by WrestleMania, so the losses here aren’t supposed to move him down. But one of the reasons the IC title went to Barrett and not Cesaro, is because the booking of IC and U.S. champions has been so bad that almost everyone, including Cesaro and even Sheamus, ended up less over after a long run with a secondary belt than before they had the run. Barrett looked to be the exception to the rule.

So can we now please stop this "they're burying Cesaro" nonsense.

Please?

Man that Russo interview on Steve Austin's show was pretty bleh, what a carny.

"SPAWLDIN'S TO THE WALL" I hate how some guys interview like that and frame every answer as "WELL YOU KNOW <host> AND THIS IS THE THING <host> BLAH BLAH BLAH", so defensive. Chael Sonnen on Bryan Alvarez's show a month back or so felt the same way.

I have to say, a LOT of these podcast interviews all focus on the screwjob and everytime I hear about it I sympathize with Bret more~ all y'all wrestler's be victim blaming. But overall I'm sick of hearing about it, in general I like Jericho's old hair metal guests a lot more, the guy from KISS that got snubbed at the hall of fame a humble, chill dude.

Reigns has a long way to go in the ring, but live audiences are definitely into the guy. I mean, not as into him as they are into Dean, but that pop his entrance gets, and when he gets involved in a match to do his clean the ring spot, those aren't piped in. They might rush things a bit, but the WWE are giving him a push because he's getting a reaction with audiences imho.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Please?

They're not burying him. Nobody felt that way. You're making things up.

He's being held back!

Cesaro has been n a holding pattern since mania. Such a bummer. Really hoping they don't do the sole IC champ jobber thing with him.. Build him up for bork to tear down

BHZ Mayor

After this whole nonsense with the IC title is done, can there be a IC/US unification match finally? Please? And just one belt after they're unified?

Ithil

Reigns has a long way to go in the ring, but live audiences are definitely into the guy. I mean, not as into him as they are into Dean, but that pop his entrance gets, and when he gets involved in a match to do his clean the ring spot, those aren't piped in. They might rush things a bit, but the WWE are giving him a push because he's getting a reaction with audiences imho.

I would argue he's getting a reaction because WWE are giving him a push, not the other way round. Ryback at one point was more over than Reigns has ever been, where is he now? And more importantly, what killed him? Losing, obviously. He even popped a buyrate for HIAC 2012, people were so into him, but once he lost the match, interest evaporated.
When you build a guy on being invincible, there's a pretty substantial risk of interest vanishing once he is no longer invincible. Then of course if you try to avoid it and keep him invincible forever, people get sick of that too and you end up with Cena reactions.

This is not to say Reigns in incapable of getting over on his own, but right now an awful lot of it feels very manufactured, and that's not the most stable way to be popular.

jred2k

Please?

The term burying has become complete completely overused. I think it is very fair to say they've have mishandled him about as much as possible post-WM, though. It really makes him look like shit when Heyman takes over his segments to talk about Brock Lesnar.

Also, this really illuminates how backwards WWE booking can be. They want to try and solidify him as a threat so they back him into a championship "match" with no momentum after weeks of losing. I would like to see what their summer plan was for him had Barrett not been injured.

After this whole nonsense with the IC title is done, can there be a IC/US unification match finally? Please? And just one belt after they're unified?
Treat the IC title as an upper mid card event and the US title should have no problem being a modern day European title.

But right now WWE can't even build one feud successfully off of these belts.

Top Bottom