• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Cagey

Banned
I agree though, I think Rollins and Ambrose trump him for shear entertainment value.

I wonder how long my entertainment from Rollins will last when the Ambrose feud ends. He struck me as the generic high-pace indie guy during the Shield run: fun to watch, but there's an entire card of that guy on ROH shows. As the backstabbing little shit who has a crazy person hunting him, I'm interested, though I wonder how much of that comes from Ambrose.

He will still have great matches with a bunch of guys, but there's more to wrasslin entertainment in WWE than technically good matches.

Ambrose is a god damn blast to watch, though. He eats up screen time like a champ.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm doing my part representing Legit Shook on the Voices of Wrestling G1 Pick'em Contest.

I've got Bullet Club dominating the first few days. Almost unstoppable so far, but none of them making it to the finals. How's everyone else feel about the G1?

Ithil

The US title is beyond worthless. If it were up to me, I'd unify the US and IC titles pronto. They're starting to feel like participation awards than titles.

Malvingt2

The US title is beyond worthless. If it were up to me, I'd unify the US and IC titles pronto. They're starting to feel like participation awards than titles.

The problem is the booking and the boring feuds. I still think they can fix that. It is not all lost.

So I'm doing my part representing Legit Shook on the Voices of Wrestling G1 Pick'em Contest.

I've got Bullet Club dominating the first few days. Almost unstoppable so far, but none of them making it to the finals. How's everyone else feel about the G1?

I did a preliminary run through and Fale cleaned up early on, but didn't make it to the finals - I had Nak vs AJ as the final, with Nakamura winning and Shibata vs Okada to determine 3rd place with Okada winning. Anderson did OK, ending up with 10 points, but I barely gave Yujiro any wins which probably won't be the case now he's got a belt.

Aiii

So not worth it
While this could change, there is talk of the Monday Night Wars show to air on Thursdays as a lead-in for NXT after the end of the weekly run of the first season of Total Divas. That would be a behind the scenes TV series talking about that period, from a WWE point of view of course. The actual episodes of Raw and Nitro from the Monday Night Wars era are expected to be put up in a few months, roughly around the time the first six-month cycle ends.

There you go.

Ithil

The problem is the booking and the boring feuds. I still think they can fix that. It is not all lost.

I don't see the point in trying to salvage it. Just unify it with the IC title and work on that. Make the IC title where the WHC title used to be in the upper mid card.

Two midcard titles on one roster is usually a bad idea unless they are division based.

Speaking if the Club. court Bauer said he is hosting a Karl Anderson podcast .On MLW.Rocky Romero and Doc the first guest. First episode drops Saturday

Still waiting for information about iPPV plan. I'm rooting for Shibata, but I'm picking Nakamura.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I did a preliminary run through and Fale cleaned up early on, but didn't make it to the finals - I had Nak vs AJ as the final, with Nakamura winning and Shibata vs Okada to determine 3rd place with Okada winning. Anderson did OK, ending up with 10 points, but I barely gave Yujiro any wins which probably won't be the case now he's got a belt.

I'm putting Yujiro and Fale with a lot of wins, but I feel Yujiro's going to come up short when he takes on old grumpy bastards. Fale on the other hand I think he's gonna get a bunch over on some established talents.

I feel bad because there's very few matches I can see Shelton Benjamin coming away with, same with Tenzan and even Okada. For some reason I feel he'll be kind of repeating last year's G1, where he took a BUNCH of losses.

jred2k

I want to see a Goto/Shibata final, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think the final will be Nakamura vs. Styles, but I'm curious to see if they would pull the trigger ok Okada/Nakamura if the ticket sales for the Seibu Dome aren't where they want them to be.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I am utilizing "Draw" for a bunch of these Bullet Club vs Bullet Club matches. Just the kind of bullshit I expect them to do.

I hadn't thought of that. The only draw I booked was Kojima and Shibata beating each other into unconsciousness, but I could definitely see some Bullet Club shenanigans throughout.

Kaladin

Ultramantis Black's album is streaming in full

Professional wrestler UltraMantis Black has found a new way to lay the smackdown upon his fans- through hardcore punk! UltraMantis Black, the band fronted by the man himself and featuring a backing band consisting of Pissed Jeans, is streaming his debut EP Black below. Check it out, get into it and then pick it up July 8 when it comes out via Relapse Records.

Bowser

Real talk Swagger needs to US title ASSP. Or give it to RUSEV and turn it into the Russian title

This so easily writes itself that it's...not shocking the WWE hasn't thought of it.

Too bad the E is trying to cut costs, would be great to see Rusev beat Sheamouse for the US title, bring it to RAW, destroy it and bring out a newly minted Russian title.

What would you call the unified title?

The IC title. Intercontinental already includes the US, just have it absorb the US title.

WELL HAVE YOU?

BrlQvtAIEAAYB-T.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So my final G1 picks have:

G1 Climax Champion: Katsuyori Shibata, even though I don't think he'll do it, the numbers shook out like this.
G1 Climax Runner Up as being AJ Styles
G1 Climax Third Place: Ishii

Finals being Shibata vs Styles with Shibata winning, and the 3rd Place match being Ishii vs Yujiro. People want to see the shit beat out of Yujiro by Ishii.

I can't see Shibata winning the G1, but his match with Tanahashi will be interesting, as he didn't really get a whole lot of offence in their match last year.

Anywho, watch some classic British wrestling;

World of Sport - #02 - featuring Johnny Saint

1. Johnny Saint (c) vs Kader Hassouni - Southend, 1977.05.11 - 00:48
2. Johnny Saint vs Terry Jowett - Preston, 1974.12.11 - 26:00

Good showcase of the British lightheavyweight style from one of its most well-known practitioners. The first match is from when Saint was lightheavyweight champion and is all about showing off the style he had become famous for, but the second match is more interesting to me, against a tough veteran named Terry Jowett and when Saint wasn't yet established as the master of wrestling escapology.

Saint.gif
Jowett.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I went with Shibata over Styles because I can't see them having Styles win, unless the plan is for him to drop the belt ASAP and come back for it.

...which I suppose could happen.

RP912

Banned

The belt been worthless even in the nwa days. It was always one of those belts that felt like a third place badge for midcarders.

jmdajr

What do you think about Jericho becoming IC champ again?

It be nice if he could put someone over that is actually going to be someone.

Sephzilla

I'm not sure if unifying the US and IC belts is a good thing. We'd only have 2 singles titles in the entire company at that point. While we would like to think that the less dilution of championships would result in the elevation of the titles that still exist, the Vince McMahon result would be that the belts need to be passed around more often in order to lift the credibility of each wrestler.

RP912

Banned
What do you think about Jericho becoming IC champ again?

It be nice if he could put someone over that is actually going to be someone.

Jericho could be wwe champ for all I care. He's probably one of the vets that I actually don't mind seeing in the main event cards. At least he puts over people....hell he put over fandango...FANDANGO!!

Sephzilla

I'm fine with a Jericho title run because it will obviously end with him putting someone else over as a result.

Jericho does what Cena doesn't.

KissVibes

Banned
If only Jericho could put over good music.

Also, as far as titles go:

- Merge the US and IC titles, but keep the IC belt and name.
- Bring back the crusierweight title for the high-flying division.
- They should have a title, like the Hardcore title but maybe not called that nor with that design, that's defended at ALL times with special segments on the WWE Network and TV. WE INTERRUPT TOTAL DIVAS ON THE WWE NETWORK TO BRING YOU SCUMBAG DEAN AMBROSE DEFENDING HIS 'ON THE CLOCK' TITLE IN A WENDYS PARKING LOT.

RP912

Banned
Is there even such a thing as a Fozzy fan?

Hearing about such things is like seeing bigfoot for the first time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
God, Jericho's podcast is SO BAD when he's speaking and trying to "uh huh, yeah yeah" sound like he has a clue what's goin on. It's so bad. He's a horrible host.

RP912

Banned
Last wrestling podcast I touch was cornette's commentary. I tried listening to the Steve Austin podcast but it seems like I'm listening to a classic rock disc jockey trying to discuss pop music topics.

Oh I'm sorry, I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA.

North America is a continent. The intercontinental belt was supposedly created by unifying the North American Champs belt with the South American belt. Although I don't think that South American Champs belt ever really existed.

Top Bottom