• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

paige6.gif

tumblr_n0upfeRoDb1rmquy9o3_250.gif

zychi

Banned
Lita still looks like a dude with longhair to me. Never got the appeal.

Never got the appeal of TEAM XTREMEZ HARDYZ either.

Neat, you did a flip on to a table from a high place, can you get back in the ring please?

Carnby

I just watched Raw from Feb 6th, 1995.

Man Mountain Rock debuted. Razor vs old jobber, Mantar vs. Jobber, M.O.M and Lex vs. IRS, Tatanka, and Bundy. The main event was a Godwin vs. a jobber.

It was awful.

That was the video that got me curious

played it a few years ago. enjoyed it quite a bit but be warned the start is very boring, looks like another boring shit shooter set in the middle east, but it quickly changes locations and becomes more deus ex in story structure than mass effect although superficially it is more mass effect.

it's better than mass effect.

think i'll play through it again and see how it holds up actuallt.

For no particular reason, I watched the Goldberg/Raven 98 match for the US title. The commentators were FLIPPING THE FUCK OUT for most of the match. They sold every tiny movement Goldberg made like he moved a mountain or punched God

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What are the buyrates on these UFC PPVs in 2014? One of the fights was a no go and another was 15 seconds. And some people complain about the network being bad value.

Heroman

Banned
What are the buyrates on these UFC PPVs in 2014? One of the fights was a no go and another was 15 seconds. And some people complain about the network being bad value.
It has gone down year after year. Ufc 173 had 200000 buys and there are rumors that the more recent ones have done way worse.

remnant

Banned
It has gone down year after year. Ufc 173 had 200000 buys and there are rumors that the more recent ones have done way worse.

They are still doing consistently better numbers than what the WWE was doing.

PPV is just becoming an outdated model

Ithil

Most are doing circa 200k recently. But the big hyped up cards still do a lot, a couple of times a year. Their December one cracked a million.

They're hurting for big stars now.

They are still doing consistently better numbers than what the WWE was doing.

PPV is just becoming an outdated model

They say that, but boxing just set a new PPV record (over 2 million buys) just last year. All it takes is the right attraction.

remnant

Banned
They say that, but boxing just set a new PPV record (over 2 million buys) just last year. All it takes is the right attraction.

They say that after the one or maybe two big fights a year, but the other 10 months a year every company is averaging below 250K

That's one of the problems boxing has been in lately, and UFC is following them.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '92 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+

I appreciate what they were going for with this PPV, but it was not fun to watch for the most part.

I would be remiss not to mention the surprisingly enjoyable Nick Bockwinkel/Dory Funk, Jr. match, though. Maybe it's because the likes of a sickly Baron Von Raschke preceded it, but I liked it nonetheless.

Alucard

Banned
GZUKvFD.gif

Also, ROH is offering all 2010-2012 event DVDs for FOUR BUCKS as a Fourth of July special through Sunday. Probably won't get them cheaper than that. I ordered seven shows. Ended up paying around $45 after shipping to Canada.

Alucard

Banned
I started a wrestling column on my own blog at TheWesker.com. I call it Tops & Flops, what will likely be a look at the tops and flops of pro wrestling through my eyes.

Appreciate any feedback given.

I dig the idea and think you executed it pretty well. I especially like the graphic. Just watch your punctuation. If you use "However," you need a period or semi-colon before it if you're starting off a contrasting point.

I like cheese. However, I don't like how expensive it is.
OR
I like cheese; however, I don't like how expensive it is.

And you may want to edit your profile at the bottom. You wrote "Where it's..." when it should be "Whether it's..." :)

Good luck!

I dig the idea and think you executed it pretty well. I especially like the graphic. Just watch your punctuation. If you use "However," you need a period or semi-colon before it if you're starting off a contrasting point.

I like cheese. However, I don't like how expensive it is.
OR
I like cheese; however, I don't like how expensive it is.

And you may want to edit your profile at the bottom. You wrote "Where it's..." when it should be "Whether it's..." :)

Good luck!

Thanks.

I saw CM Punk retweet this:

BrvT9lVCUAAffOv.jpg

I've heard him say as much as well.

Am I crazy or is this as dumb as I think it is? Let's hear it, PhilosophyGAF.

zychi

Banned
I saw CM Punk retweet this:

BrvT9lVCUAAffOv.jpg

I've heard him say as much as well.

Am I crazy or is this as dumb as I think it is? Let's hear it, PhilosophyGAF.

I'm not philosophygaf, I'm an Irish dude, I don't believe in luck. I believe in hard work and coincidences.

If luck was real, Vegas wouldn't exist.

Sblargh

Banned
"I'm not lucky, I'm just fortunate enough"

I think, in life, more things are out of your control than within it. So, for both good and bad stuff that happens, there's a lot in there you just didn't deserved it.

In the end tho, very few things have a single cause; stuff that happens in your life is often a mixed bag of what you did and what it was done to you.

Sblargh

Banned
coincidence: a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance.

luck: the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities.

they're different.

You can use luck to describe a set of forces out of your control that you have no way to grasp rationally, but that, nonetheless, exists; say, social forces. You meet the right person at the right time. The string of causality needed to explain why two human beings are at that exact place, at that exact time and both with enough motive to talk is too much to grasp. So, we take that immense X and call it "luck".

coincidence: a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance.

luck: the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities.

they're different.

Coincidence/chance is very similar to luck, though. Aristotle differentiated the two essentially saying luck is the product of some agency whereas chance is random. Both play into life to varying degrees. If you work hard, you can take advantage of that.

zychi

Banned
You can use luck to describe a set of forces out of your control that you have no way to grasp rationally, but that, nonetheless, exists; say, social forces. You meet the right person at the right time. The string of causality needed to explain why two human beings are at that exact place, at that exact time and both with enough motive to talk is too much to grasp. So, we take that immense X and call it "luck".
you described a coincidence, not luck

luck is a made up superstition.

A Rabbit's foot will ward off bad luck and is thought to bring good. Worn as an amulet, the older the foot the better. I should be able to wear 45 rabbit's feet and win in Vegas then.

A Black Cat which crosses your path will bring bad luck. Every black cat owner is screwed.

The number 13 is considered bad luck. 13 year olds around the world would be screwed.

Breaking a mirror is 7 years of bad luck

etc

Sblargh

Banned
you described a coincidence, not luck

luck is a made up superstition.

A Rabbit's foot will ward off bad luck and is thought to bring good. Worn as an amulet, the older the foot the better. I should be able to wear 45 rabbit's feet and win in Vegas then.

A Black Cat which crosses your path will bring bad luck. Every black cat owner is screwed.

The number 13 is considered bad luck. 13 year olds around the world would be screwed.

Breaking a mirror is 7 years of bad luck

etc

That's just superstition, i.e., bad attempts to manipulate forces we call "luck".

Edit: I'd say coincidence doesn't carry the moral and ethical connotations of luck. It's not just about stuff that happens, but also stuff that happens that impact your life in ways you consider particular good or bad.

Grisham just made a Matt Hardy reference when describing a J.J. Hardy defensive play on Sportscenter. Other anchor either was clueless or didn't give a shit to the sound bite.

gurudyne

This is what I mean when I say "luck". That said, Dinklage's quote (if it is his quote--this is the Internet) is idiotic. "I'm not lucky, I'm fortunate." He's splitting hairs and it does nothing but make him sound defensive.

This is what I mean when I say "luck". That said, Dinklage's quote (if it is his quote--this is the Internet) is idiotic. "I'm not lucky, I'm fortunate." He's splitting hairs and it does nothing but make him sound defensive.

I agree, and will chalk up Dinklage, Punk, and zychi's repudiation of luck as a result of them being egomaniacs.

only kidding zychi <3

Top Bottom