• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

The big mistake Sony's event had was not saving either FF7 or Shenmue 3 for the end. I know they wanted to end with their Sony exclusive tentpole game with Uncharted, but you need to end with a bigger punch than that. This Sony E3 lacked a Wonderbook/Powers segment that dragged on for way too long, so that's a plus for this year.

End with a kickstarter announcement or CG trailer of a remake? Come on, how is that building the brand for the future? That's some weak booking.

Sephzilla

Not to mention that neither one are PS4 exclusives.

There's no confirmation that FF7 is coming to Xbox though. Literally all we know is that PS4 gets it first. It might just get a PC port later, like the original FF7 got. No version of anything FF7 related has ever touched an Xbox.

Sephzilla, I've never seen this side of you before. Even when I rightfully disparaged your favorite wrestler Daniel Bryan and was proven right in time, you've never displayed this much passion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shenmue is and always will be pure trash. I am glad that this strugglestarter is happening and the game will come out so that all of these people who have built up and mythologized this game in their heads will finally see what worthless shit it actually is, same with Battletoads.
I had Day 1 Shenmue on DC and it was boring as fuck then and now. It was a simulator of nonsense like forklift driving.

Sephzilla

Sephzilla, I've never seen this side of you before. Even when I rightfully disparaged your favorite wrestler Daniel Bryan and was proven right in time, you've never displayed this much passion.

I've found a gimmick that's me turned up to 11

honestly though i'm just happy as fuck right now, this was an amazing night that helped mask a shitty day beforehand

00j2V5c.gif

I completely forgot about this Cole v Brock lawsuit, but Creative is keeping continuity real.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shenmue was hyped to shit and back, and reviewers were mainly afraid to take it to task for being awful, plus it was Sega's swan song. No one had put out a game of that scope yet, remember it's still a few years until GTA III absolutely blows this sort of approach out of the water.

I remember a friend got a good deal on it at Blockbuster because he worked there, we brought it back to his place expecting to rush right through it and it was the most boring game imaginable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The amount of quality stuff that goes up on their Youtube channel that doesn't make Raw or Smackdown or fuck, even the network is bananas.

There's no confirmation that FF7 is coming to Xbox though. Literally all we know is that PS4 gets it first. It might just get a PC port later, like the original FF7 got. No version of anything FF7 related has ever touched an Xbox.

PS4 and PC are specifically announced on the Kickstarter. It says if it gets funding (which it will) it's coming there.

Man, I'm reading people saying "Sony only played off of nostalgia, Microsoft had the better showing"

*Microsoft announces Gears Remaster, a new Gears, and a $30 collection of old Nintendo games*

Yeah, Microsoft totally wasn't doing the exact same thing. God damn fanboys are delusional.
Well, technically they did. But it's not a bad thing, though.

Shenmue was hyped to shit and back, and reviewers were mainly afraid to take it to task for being awful, plus it was Sega's swan song. No one had put out a game of that scope yet, remember it's still a few years until GTA III absolutely blows this sort of approach out of the water.

I remember a friend got a good deal on it at Blockbuster because he worked there, we brought it back to his place expecting to rush right through it and it was the most boring game imaginable.

That it explains it. You were of legal working age at the time. I can understand how a jaded young adult raised on pixel-based games would disregard Shenmue as boring. You were used to Japanese devs retooling their games to make them more palatable and accessible to Westerners, so when Suzuki-san refused to alter his original vision and present it as is, it was way beyond your abilities and comprehension.

Luckily, I hadn't fully developed as a gamer yet and wasn't already set in my rigid ways.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That it explains it. You were of legal working age at the time. I can understand how a jaded young adult raised on pixel-based games would disregard Shenmue as boring. You were used to Japanese devs retooling their games to make them more palatable and accessible to Westerners, so when Suzuki-san refused to alter his original vision and present it as is, it was way beyond your abilities and comprehension.

Luckily, I hadn't fully developed as a gamer yet and wasn't already set in my rigid ways.

I love this post, every single letter of it.

He did, in fact, pick the English VA's for Shenmue 1, despite, well, not being very good at English...and it shows.

I'm something of a student of Japanese to English dub jobs and this game...wow. It's impressive, though not that unusual for the year it came out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No, they just wanted to give the announcement a platform. Either way, announcing a kickstarter just seems silly, especially when you're the leading console maker but it got people excited.

Oh I disagree, it was a very shrewd move. It costs you nothing, gets you nothing but goodwill and maybe a handful of extra people will buy your console just for this one game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

As a person who owned that game day 1, that game was boring by the standards at the time and it is exceptionally boring by today's standards.

That game is probably unplayable at this point, unless you were looking for a game that really nailed the feel of being a dude with martial arts powers who never gets to use them due to the tedium of having a regular blue-collar job.

Heel

SEGA likely licensed the IP for a small, guaranteed win instead of taking a gamble on financing a flop franchise in full.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yet Suzuki is releasing the game as console exclusive on PS4? Yeah, sure. There was a backroom deal between YS and Sony.

Or, you know, the simple answer that the Wii U doesn't support Unreal 4 and isn't popular and the XBONE has an awful time selling anything Japanese.

I love this post, every single letter of it.

He did, in fact, pick the English VA's for Shenmue 1, despite, well, not being very good at English...and it shows.

I'm something of a student of Japanese to English dub jobs and this game...wow. It's impressive, though not that unusual for the year it came out.

I love these guys that have never developed a video game trying to tell developers how it's done. Do you even know how to lock up?

All you Shenmue haters really just hate your own lives.

Oh I disagree, it was a very shrewd move. It costs you nothing, gets you nothing but goodwill and maybe a handful of extra people will buy your console just for this one game.

I understand the reasoning, I get it. It's just fucking weird to me that there's this multimillion corporation getting marks excited about paying for the production of a game, that is most likely going to be picked up by another publisher. It's just fucking greasy.

I love these guys that have never developed a video game trying to tell developers how it's done. Do you even know how to lock up?

How are people trying to tell the developers "how it's done"?

The Shenmue "haters" are realists: the game was never that special even when it was released, and instead of a swan song ended up being a big fat albatross that helped plunge Sega into the cemetery.

Or, you know, the simple answer that the Wii U doesn't support Unreal 4 and isn't popular and the XBONE has an awful time selling anything Japanese.
Doesn't matter. If he was creating a kickstarter project and wanted to maximize full potential profit, he would've made it ps4/xbone/pc. Not console exclusive.

Not saying it's a bad thing. But there was definitely a backhand deal happened between YS and Sony.

I don't care in the end. I'm just happy there is going to be Shenmue 3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Doesn't matter. If he was creating a kickstarter project and wanted to maximize full potential profit, he would've made it ps4/xbone/pc. Not console exclusive.

Not saying it's a bad thing. But there was definitely a backhand deal happened between YS and Sony.

Or it could be a surprise stretch goal, this thing is getting over 5 million.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Shenmue "haters" are realists: the game was never that special even when it was released, and instead of a swan song ended up being a big fat albatross that helped plunge Sega into the cemetery.

It was special though, it was literally the most hyped game since FF7, easily the most ambitious game of the 90's and a complete disaster as a venture.

Angry Grimace

The Kickstarter is the same thing every Kickstarter is - dudes with more money than sense just gave them free money for a product that doesn't even yet exist on the promise it won't suck.

Shenmue 3 isn't going to be either good or profitable off of $2,000,000.00, its gonna cost way more than that. They now just have $2,000,000 in advance, interest-free regardless of what they actually put out.

Pavaloo

I don't care in the end. I'm just happy there is going to be Shenmue 3.

this isn't true - it could easily increase development costs and if they can't project returns worth that investment they can choose not to spend time and money to develop there

edit: this community is the purge from gaming side my senses needed

Never that special when it was released? Helped plunge Sega into the cemetery? Yeah, you're right, Beef. Suzuki-san shouldn't have taken so many risks pioneering gameplay elements that would later be successfully appropriated by future game devs that, unlike Suzuki-san, played it safe and banked on their games being anchored by white male protagonists.

You call yourself a Sega fan, you son of a b*tch?

Top Bottom