• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

It's a reality show, a soap opera, a children's cartoon, a sitcom, a variety show, this and that. But oh, we need a match now and then because *sighs* wrestlers is unfortunetly the resource that I have.

And what's so astounding about that is how they do none of those things well at all.

DiscoJon

Banned
You guys ever check out any other wrestling forums? I think pound for pound Wrasslegaf is full of good posters and team players.

I click on this thread (Rusev Angle Makes Me Angry) on another forum and expected this guy to be upset about all the black WWE wrestlers jobbing to Rusev, BUT NOOOOOO. Got this "Boo-hoo, Russia's not a bad guy, guys!" crap.

Wrasslegaf #1. Everywhere else sucks.

Sblargh

Banned
And what's so astounding about that is how they do none of those things well at all.

Right.
Maybe if I were laughing, emotionally invested on personal relationships, and on and on, I think I wouldn't be pinning for good old days I never lived in. On the other hand, it just seems like you're not using what you have correctly. Wrestlers can act, do comedy or whatever in a very limited way, but their actual training is to fake punch people.

It's like, you sacrifice the base of your product in order to do stuff that, if you are very lucky, you maybe can make it work.

One thing that annoys about WWE documentaries that deals with the Attitude Era: "We were lucky. Oh, we were so lucky. It was the perfect storm. Something like that will never happen again because we had Steve Austin. And we had The Rock. And we Mr. McMahon as a character. And we were so lucky. Oh my god. The luck we had. We would be out of busisness if the almighty starts wouldn't have aligned the exact precise way"

Why are you so proud that your incompetend dumbasses had everything going right at the right time in spite of you being pieces of shit? And even with all the luck in the world, you were still number 2 in the audience (of a race that had only two participants) until the perfect shitstorm hit your competition. What are you proud of? Existing in the same time-space coordinates as Steve Austin?

So you were lucky so lucky fucking lucky you got the perfect talent at the perfect time and you still only managed to come out on first in a race that had two participants because your one opponent, who was ahead of you constantly, broke his leg on the final stretch of the race. Yeah, you have plenty of reason to be arrogant.

10354596_10152588323344155_1638907636233853199_n.jpg

RIP Mullet

No way. That PPV heat for Best in the World!

I think I'm almost "over" PWG. Really noticing the complete lack of psychology in some of these PWG Ten matches, as well as the sloppy work because of trying to overdo just about everything. Still some excellent matches and hard work from the talent, but I'm just noticing the negatives a lot more than I did, say, two years ago when I discovered PWG.

That is a valid and fair complaint. I myself love it. Every match is go go go. I really want to go to BOLA 2014 this year.

Alucard

Banned
Thinking of staying up until 4am for the New Japan iPPV.

Shelley1.gif

The card sounds pretty average, but I'm expecting at least two or three great matches since it's the final show of the tournament.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to stay up for it but I'm already falling asleep.

go KUSHIDA go go go

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Full line-up for the Best of the Super Jr's XXI FINALS on Sunday;

NJPW, "BEST OF THE SUPER JR'S XXI ~ FINAL", 2014.06.08
Yoyogi Nation Gymnasium, Tokyo

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

1. Kenny Omega, KUSHIDA & TenKoji (Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan) vs Mascara Dorada, Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask & Mascara Don
2. El Desperado & Kota Ibushi vs Gedo & Rocky Romero
3. Yuji Nagata & Captain New Japan vs Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
4. Best of the Super Jr's - Semi-Final #1: KUSHIDA vs Taichi
5. Best of the Super Jr's - Semi-Final #2: Ryusuke Taguchi vs Ricochet
6. Toru Yano & Jado vs Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma vs Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga
8. Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI vs Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson)
9. Best of the Super Jr's XXI - FINAL

Outside of the Super's jr's stuff, nothing terribly significant on the card. I had wondered if we'd see a NEVER title defence, but I guess that'll be saved for Dominion now. As for the random tag matches up and down the card, there's a few that look pretty fun - match 2 has Gedo & Rocky teaming, which is an odd pairing I don't think we've seen before, while the 3rd match has the potential for Shibata vs Old Man Nagata hatred, or just Captain New Japan getting murdered. Match 6 has the first encounter between Yano & Iizuka since Iizuka joined Suzuki-gun, while match 7 & 8 are pretty self explanatory. Should be good overall, but there's two results in the Super Jr's final that could leave a salty taste, namely Taguchi or Taichi winning it. My money's on Ricochet vs KUSHIDA in the final, just for entertainment's sake. Taguchi is bland and Taichi's shown next to nothing in this tournament.

Is it worth it 10 dollars?
-

So, it's a tournment. Cool, no storylines.

Help me understand this card, please:
http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/match/card.php?e=850

There you go

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just in case I forget, someone remind me to re-follow Beefers on Twitter tomorrow.

PInk Tape

Banned
Just rewatched the Bray/Bryan match from the RR and it's as great as I remembered it. Wow.
It's matches like these that why I respect Bryan and Bray as wrestlers. Sure, there were a few botches but the rest of the match was incredible. It gave credibility to Bray as a singles wrestler and showed that he didn't need help from Harper or Rowan to win.

It's matches like this that make me love wrestling.

Frolow

Banned
Just rewatched the Bray/Bryan match from the RR and it's as great as I remembered it. Wow.
It's matches like these that why I respect Bryan and Bray as wrestlers. Sure, there were a few botches but the rest of the match was incredible. It gave credibility to Bray as a singles wrestler and showed that he didn't need help from Harper or Rowan to win.

Bryan puts on some really spectacular work. Going to be sad if he has to drops the title.

It's matches like these that why I respect Bryan and Bray as wrestlers. Sure, there were a few botches but the rest of the match was incredible. It gave credibility to Bray as a singles wrestler and it showed that Bryan, the most over person with the crowd at that moment, could put someone over cleanly and elevate them.

I was lucky enough to be there live. It was incredible to be a part of, if I could make such a claim to be a part of it. There was just so much optimism for Bryan at the start of the night and that match was so fucking killer. The ensuing mess is a funny story I get to tell now, in the light of Mania, but it was so fucking discouraging then. And to add salt to the wound they handed out Daniel Bryan flyers as we exited to advertise Smackdown coming to town.

PInk Tape

Banned
Bryan puts on some really spectacular work. Going to be sad if he has to drops the title.

Yeah :(

I was lucky enough to be there live. It was incredible to be a part of, if I could make such a claim to be a part of it. There was just so much optimism for Bryan at the start of the night and that match was so fucking killer. The ensuing mess is a funny story I get to tell now, in the light of Mania, but it was so fucking discouraging then. And to add salt to the wound they handed out Daniel Bryan flyers as we exited to advertise Smackdown coming to town.

That's awesome man. Believe it or not you did have a part in it, a tiny one (cheering him on), but it still counts. Were you expecting Bryan to win because I was and was shook to see Bray come up in the end.
That flyer sounds like such a fuck you. It's like "hey you know that guy you really like who didn't win the rumble and will never have a chance at the title? well you can check him out and other superstars on smackdown on syfy!" That's what you wanted right?

I'm glad they actually woke up and gave him the titles. It sucks that he may have to give them up after all that time and effort he put into getting them. I wouldn't mind him giving up the titles if he isn't at 100% though; I'd rather him be healthy than the champ at that point. That rehab report is super worrying.

Also Bray deserves better.

Awake just in time...hope it's a good show today, the tournament's been rather lacklustre so far. The injuries to Koslov and Shelley didn't help, but the Jr's division really needs some more new blood. Also, Jado & Gedo's booking of tournaments is becoming rather predictable - one block always has an out-and-out leader, while the other block is parity booked so it's not clear who'll come out on top until the penultimate show of the tournament. It's a solid method of booking a two-block tournament, but I wish they'd change it up a bit sometimes.

Let's go Ricochet!

Sblargh

Banned
Now that the money is spent, it's sinking in that I don't know any of those people and I won't understand a word of commentary. Also, from the little I watched, I'm pretty sure I don't get some of their rules either. Tag matches are so chaotic.

PInk Tape

Banned
Hey, maybe you'll like it.. Who knows? Several people in this thread have mentioned it's gonna be good since it's the finals in the tournament.

It's official:

Pittsburgh crowd >>>> Chicago crowd

That's awesome man. Believe it or not you did have a part in it, a tiny one (cheering him on), but it still counts. Were you expecting Bryan to win because I was and was shook to see Bray come up in the end.
That flyer sounds like such a fuck you. It's like "hey you know that guy you really like who didn't win the rumble and will never have a chance at the title? well you can check him out and other superstars on smackdown on syfy!" That's what you wanted right?

I'm glad they actually woke up and gave him the titles. It sucks that he may have to give them up after all that time and effort he put into getting them. I wouldn't mind him giving up the titles if he isn't at 100% though; I'd rather him be healthy than the champ at that point. That rehab report is super worrying.

Also Bray deserves better.

I wasn't expecting Bryan to win but that was OK because a) Bray needed it and b) I fully expected him to win the Rumble. Everyone was cheering for Bryan like mad but when he lost there weren't really any boos, just an ovation because it was so damn good. Bray looked so legit after that. It's actually pretty impressive he's still as over as he is after this Cena feud.

Found this pic of the flyer

I guess he won't be making that show after all.

Mascara Dorada is goddamn amazing.

Sblargh said:
Now that the money is spent, it's sinking in that I don't know any of those people and I won't understand a word of commentary. Also, from the little I watched, I'm pretty sure I don't get some of their rules either. Tag matches are so chaotic.

Yeah, some of the rules can be confusing to a first-time viewer - it's best to assume the referee has a very small amount of control over the match and very rarely will you ever see a DQ finish. Some of the basic rules to watch out for;

. 20 count on the floor
. it'll probably be a DQ if someone uses a weapon in the ring (and the ref actually sees it), but it's entirely down to the ref's discretion
. using weapons on the floor is frowned upon, but the ref won't DQ anyone for doing it
. tags are required in tag matches, but when things get heated the ref's quickly lose control so you'll see lots of pin-breaks and double-teams
. in tag team matches it often becomes more about one team keeping the other from saving their partner currently in the ring, which is a bit different from the US formula of tag wrestling, but it's mostly the same

Regarding the wrestlers, in the semi-finals you've got; KUSHIDA, a fan favourite high-flyer going up against Taichi, who remains fairly popular in spite of cheating a TON in his matches. Then there's Ryusuke Taguchi, a veteran Jr wrestler who isn't the most exciting, but the fans seem to love and Ricochet, a exciting gaijin high-flyer who's very over with the audience. As for the rest, I'll give a bit of context where necessary; match 3 has a little backstory as old man Nagata and Shibata have had a couple of run-ins before and generally don't like each other, so expect some hard-hitting exchanges between the two. Match 6 sees Yano get his hands on Iizuka, who turned his back on CHAOS and joined Suzuki-gun, beating the crap out of Yano in the process. Matches 7 & 8 both feature the Bullet Club, who have managed to piss off just about everyone in New Japan, whether they're heel or face. That's about it really, this isn't a storyline heavy show.

Alucard

Banned
The dude who took the German there was Mascara Don, right?

That was fun despite some sloppy moments, but it felt a little short too.

3/5

Shame about the botchiness at the end there, good stuff from Omega & Dorada. A little too much Tenzan & Nakanishi for my liking, though.

The dude who took the German there was Mascara Don, right?

Nope, that was Mascara Dorada - Mascara Don was the older, fatter Japanese dude in a mask (Manabu Nakanishi). He becomes Mascara Don when he teams with luchadores for some reason.

Incidentally, Kenny's finisher there was called Croyt's Wrath.

Give the page a refresh. It occasionally happens when they turn off the free pre-show after the first match.

*edit, no worries.

Rocky & Gedo are awesome.

Top Bottom