• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

RBH

20130626_ME_Ambrose_Christian_LIGHT_L.jpg

WWE Main Event 6/26/13

Christian vs. Dean Ambrose in a non-title match

Chris Jericho vs. Cody Rhodes

Zeb Colter/Antonio Cesaro interview

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...tch-online_animals?search_algo=2#.UcxWFhZ9nww

jred2k

I really hope I never live to see the day where someone uses "the M-word" earnestly. That shit was fucking embarrassing to read even sarcastically.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone got that awesome Taz A&8 reveal gif? Oh lord so good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No way does he leave his brothers!

On the other hand, a Tenay-only broadcast would be delicious.

Yessssssssss! Thank you based jred2k

I wish I wasn't dogshit at editing gifs, would have been pleasant for the Xbox One DRM announcement with "no DRM" on his back. hee hee haww

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My favourite part is Hemme overreacting wayyy before she can even see the vest. Hogan too for that matter.

TNA's females overreacting is one of my favorite things. There's this one TNA gif I'll never find again that has something happening like "you gave her your power!" bullshit and it looks like the funniest shit on planet earth.

strobogo

Banned
so anything big in the last 3 months i missed of wrestling? think im finally ready to jump back to raw/smackdown/tna again

Shield won all the mid card titles, they also lost their first match as a unit, D-Bryne is getting a huge push, Mark Henry wore an amazing jacket and SWERVED everyone by faking retirement, Ziggler cashed in MITB and got a concussion like a week later finally came back and lost it in his first defense (he's kind of a face now, while ADR is full on heel), Punk came back and got Borked, Christian came back, RVD is coming back, Curtis Axel (Michael McGillicutty(El Hijo del Perfcto)) defeated Cena and HHH (via countouts). I think that's about it.

Seems Low Ki is done with wrestling;

Brandon Sylvestry (Low Ki/Senshi), 32, has been telling promoters that have contacted him that he’s retired. He’s moving on into voice over work. He had been in talks with All Japan, but had asked for a huge guarantee. At one point they had an agreement but All Japan backed off. He did say that with the right program with a major group, he is open to coming back, but not unless it’s something major.

Shame, as he's a great performer, but he's burnt pretty much all of his bridges.

Also, for anyone looking to get into New Japan I've compiled a list of the best NJPW matches from this year, and it's been a pretty great year so far;

. Prince Devitt (c) vs Low Ki vs Kota Ibushi - 01/04/13
. Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki - 01/04/13
. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) vs Hirooki Goto & Karl Anderson - 01/04/13
. Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Kazushi Sakuraba - 01/04/13
. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada - 01/04/13
. Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs La Sombra - 01/18/13
. Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki - 02/10/13
. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Karl Anderson - 02/10/13
. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Prince Devitt - 03/03/13
. Satoshi Kojima vs Tomohiro Ishii - 03/11/13
. Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki - 03/11/13
. Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. - 03/11/13
. Hirooki Goto vs Tomohiro Ishii - 03/17/13
. Kazuchika Okada vs Karl Anderson - 03/17/13
. Kazuchika Okada vs Hirooki Goto - 03/23/13
. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii - 04/05/13
. Prince Devitt (c) vs Alex Shelley - 04/05/13
. Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. - 04/07/13
. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada - 04/07/13
. Masato Tanaka (c) vs Tomoaki Honma - 05/03/13
. Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata - 05/03/13
. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - 05/03/13
. Prince Devitt vs Ricochet - 05/30/13
. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs Alex Shelley - 06/02/13
. Ricochet vs Titan - 06/02/13
. KUSHIDA vs Kenny Omega - 06/06/13
. Alex Shelley vs Ricochet - 06/06/13
. Alex Shelley vs Prince Devitt - 06/09/13
. Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov (c) vs Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA - 06/22/13
. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii vs Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin - 06/22/13
. Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata - 06/22/13
. Hiroshi Tanhashi vs Prince Devitt - 06/22/13
. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Togi Makabe - 06/22/13

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bookmarking that post, Bootaaay. Tireless!

Out of all those I still have a very soft spot for Sakuraba vs Nakamura at Wrassle Kangdom. That might be my MOTY.

Tanahashi vs Anderson in Feb was pretty amazing though...

The sooner you guys realize that Cena vs. Henry is gonna end with an AA off a ladder into oblivion (or some variation on that), the less disappointed you will be. At this point in time, our good friend Bo Dallas has a better chance of winning the WWE title than ole Mark Henry.

Also, fuck Tazz. Please don't come back ;_;

jred2k

I'm gonna have to go through and watch all those Prince Devitt matches. I haven't seen any of his work, but there has been too much positive posted about him lately in this thread for me to ignore him any longer.

Aiii

So not worth it
Shield won all the mid card titles, they also lost their first match as a unit, D-Bryne is getting a huge push, Mark Henry wore an amazing jacket and SWERVED everyone by faking retirement, Ziggler cashed in MITB and got a concussion like a week later finally came back and lost it in his first defense (he's kind of a face now, while ADR is full on heel), Punk came back and got Borked, Christian came back, RVD is coming back, Curtis Axel (Michael McGillicutty(El Hijo del Perfcto)) defeated Cena and HHH (via countouts). I think that's about it.

You forgot about AJ and Kaitlyn damnit!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The sooner you guys realize that Cena vs. Henry is gonna end with an AA off a ladder into oblivion (or some variation on that), the less disappointed you will be. At this point in time, our good friend Bo Dallas has a better chance of winning the WWE title than ole Mark Henry.

Also, fuck Tazz. Please don't come back ;_;

Yeah. Remember what Cena did to Batista on his final run? You'll get the same.

But I don't know...While Henry's fake retirement was amazing, Batista's legit retirement was superior.

Aiii

So not worth it
Who cares about Cena. Just fastforward everything he is in and you don't even have to acknowledge the guy.

Selkies!

Thanks for the NJPW recommendations, been looking to get back into NJPW now that I'm caught up with PWG and Chikara is uh, gone. Excited to watch a wrestling promotion with some hype for once, it's been a while.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the NJPW recommendations, been looking to get back into NJPW now that I'm caught up with PWG and Chikara is uh, gone. Excited to watch a wrestling promotion with some hype for once, it's been a while.

NJPW has SO much to offer and they're having a banner year. Incredible talent, solid production values that rival WWE's, and some serious Heritage Heritage with their Heritage championships belts.

Simple booking, but effective. Amazing stuff. Not to say there's not some stinkers there, but the brighter the light, the darker the shadows.

Selkies!

Just watched the Ki/Devitt/Ibushi dome match, that was a lot of fun. I usually hate 3 man matches, but the third man here really helped keep the pace up the whole way through.

NJPW has SO much to offer and they're having a banner year. Incredible talent, solid production values that rival WWE's, and some serious Heritage Heritage with their Heritage championships belts.

Simple booking, but effective. Amazing stuff. Not to say there's not some stinkers there, but the brighter the light, the darker the shadows.

Yea I was never really big on NJPW, even when I was watching puro regularly I was way more excited about NOAH or DG or BJW. I think the only NJPW matches I've watched from the last decade are like the Tanahashi/Nakamura matches, some super jr stuff and a few NOAH crossover tags where Sugiura dropped dudes on there heads for 25 minutes. I think I've watched more Okinawa Pro shows then I have NJPW so it's a pretty fresh product for me, and the production makes it easy to watch for someone who's only really been watching wrestling casually for the last few years.

I need something to watch that isn't PWG because as much as I love it those shows are exhausting and I can't really watch more than an hour at a time tops. US indy wrestling is getting pretty depressing to follow in general so it only makes sense.

Made a few avatars from that thing you posted above, Sunny - if anyone wants one, feel free to claim one;

Destroyer;

isHRYsPjteCbJ.png

Captain New Japan;

iV5MTUMV66oL4.png

Maybach Taniguchi;

iJRGODBHLZbKt.png

Ultimo Dragon;

iOC179MPr1F5n.png

Tiger Mask;

iDI9dz1T8EuqG.png

Super Strong Machine;

ibkqvEGaQeZrL8.png

Selkies! said:
Just watched the Ki/Devitt/Ibushi dome match, that was a lot of fun. I usually hate 3 man matches, but the third man here really helped keep the pace up the whole way through.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of 3-way matches in general, as it seems that more often than not the 3rd man just screws with the flow of the match, but I was very impressed with the work put in by Ki, Ibushi & Devitt in that match. Great stuff.

Selkies! said:
Yea I was never really big on NJPW, even when I was watching puro regularly I was way more excited about NOAH or DG or BJW. I think the only NJPW matches I've watched from the last decade are like the Tanahashi/Nakamura matches, some super jr stuff and a few NOAH crossover tags where Sugiura dropped dudes on there heads for 25 minutes. I think I've watched more Okinawa Pro shows then I have NJPW so it's a pretty fresh product for me, and the production makes it easy to watch for someone who's only really been watching wrestling casually for the last few years.

Agreed, even back in the 90s I was more of an All Japan fan than New Japan - I'd watch the big matches, Chono, Hashimoto, Mutoh, Liger, etc and the matches with gaijin talents, but I never really enjoyed the whole shows as much as I did with All Japan. That's only really started to change in the past few years, as for much of the past decade the promotion I paid the most attention to was NOAH.

Selkies! said:
I need something to watch that isn't PWG because as much as I love it those shows are exhausting and I can't really watch more than an hour at a time tops. US indy wrestling is getting pretty depressing to follow in general so it only makes sense.

I feel the same way about PWG, I never make it through a show in a single sitting - the in-ring action is great, if a little over the top, but it's like every match is trying to steal the show and that can get tiring after a while, imo. As for the indies being depressing, check out AIW & AAW, they're both very much on the rise and now's a great time to check them out - they both have shows available as MP4s at SmartMarkVideo.com and AIW have an iPPV this weekend over at SMVOD.com that should be awesome.

The free download over at IVPVideos is pretty great this week;

The Best of Ted DiBiase in All Japan, Volume #1

. Ted Dibiase vs. Jumbo Tsuruta - 06/17/1983
. Ted Dibiase & Stan Hansen vs. Dory Funk Jr. & Terry Funk - 08/29/1985
. Ted Dibiase & Stan Hansen vs. The British Bulldogs - 11/23/1985
. Ted Dibiase & Stan Hansen vs. Giant Baba & Dory Funk Jr. - 12/4/1985
. Ted Dibiase & Stan Hansen vs. Nick Bockwinkle & Curt Hennig - 12/7/1985
. Ted Dibiase & Stan Hansen vs. Riki Choshu & Yoshiaki Yatsu - 12/12/1985
. Ted Dibiase & Stan Hansen vs. Hiroshi Wajima & Takashi Ishikawa - 04/02/1987
. Ted Dibiase & Stan Hansen vs. Dory Funk Jr. & Hiroshi Wajima - 04/05/1987

somedevil

Meltzer is starting to stir up shit with the IWC. First saying that the conversation that Shawn had with Vince was about Daniel Bryan and then saying this:

The story of the show isn’t one that a lot of people will want to hear. It was a risk building the show around Daniel Bryan as the main character no matter how loud those in the building cheer for him. And his street fight with Randy Orton did a terrible overrun number, coming off it being the main event on the least watched non-holiday Smackdown show since it started airing on Syfy. For people who complain about John Cena, as a general rule, his segments deliver, particularly in the main event slot.

Love how he blames Bryan for Smackdown when the ratings were not doing great before and the match between him and Orton was not advertised at all on Raw. It was him versus Ambrose not as the main event and people weren't even sure the match was happening due to the injury.

Also for the overrun rating hockey played a part:

8.16 Million Viewers Watch Chicago Blackhawks Win Stanley Cup on NBC

GAME 6

Last night’s game drew a 4.7 U.S. household rating and 8.16 million viewers on NBC, up 52% and 66%, respectively, vs. last year (3.1 and 4.929 million viewers). This year’s series-clinching contest was the second-most watched Stanley Cup Final Game 6 since 1994, trailing only Chicago’s 2010 series-clinching Game 6 against Philadelphia (6/9/10, 8.279 million).

Game 6 peaked with 10.424 million viewers from 10:45-11 p.m. ET.

It basically peaked during there match. The real problem I see is Meltzer and Vince are the same that they panic over one bad quarter rating and basically kills any chance of making new stars because you don't make them in a week. It takes time and find it funny with Meltzer should know better but is starting to create a panic about Bryan.

Ithil

Meltzer is starting to stir up shit with the IWC. First saying that the conversation that Shawn had with Vince was about Daniel Bryan and then saying this:

Love how he blames Bryan for Smackdown when the ratings were not doing great before and the match between him and Orton was not advertised at all on Raw. It was him versus Ambrose not as the main event and people weren't even sure the match was happening due to the injury.

Also for the overrun rating hockey played a part:

It basically peaked during there match. The real problem I see is Meltzer and Vince are the same that they panic over one bad quarter rating and basically kills any chance of making new stars because you don't make them in a week. It takes time and find it funny with Meltzer should know better but is starting to create a panic about Bryan.

Problem here is listening to the Observer Radio, Meltzer is not criticizing Bryan but criticizing how he has been booked. He was also looking at the ratings thing more as something that would be used as a source of validation if someone up top (Vince) didn't believe in Bryan and wanted "proof" he couldn't draw. He did specifically state he didn't agree with that idea that Bryan can't draw, and said anyone, no matter who they are, takes some time to become a draw and that's with a consistent and serious push which Bryan hasn't ever gotten.

Aiii

So not worth it
The kids are cheering Bo, the adults boo him. Commentary is putting him over.

Yep, he's NXT's Cena alright.

somedevil

Problem here is listening to the Observer Radio, Meltzer is not criticizing Bryan but criticizing how he has been booked. He was also looking at the ratings thing more as something that would be used as a source of validation if someone up top (Vince) didn't believe in Bryan and wanted "proof" he couldn't draw. He did specifically state he didn't agree with that idea that Bryan can't draw, and said anyone, no matter who they are, takes some time to become a draw and that's with a consistent and serious push which Bryan hasn't ever gotten.

Well he did the ratings thing with Punk as well when he was champion. I think that he starting to stir the fear that everyone is thinking is that Vince will kill his push which does help getting customers who all fear this happening. Its going to need Triple H, Shawn and Regal to prevent this. Vince has a love affair with Cena that kills creating new stars and I hope he realizes that Bryan needs to beat him to make him a star.

strobogo

Banned
I fully expect D-Bryne's push to end exactly like Eddie/Benoit's (minus the death part): A few month title run, then back to upper midcard guy who can work with everyone and fill in main events when needed. Anyone who really thinks he's going to be the true face of the company and replace Cena is pretty delusional. If he wins the title by Summerslam, I expect him to lose it by Survivor Series and never win it again.

Remember how Benoit's title push really started with the match against Angle at RR03? How the fans gave him a standing ovation and all that? And that continued for the entire year until it couldn't be ignored anymore, especially towards the 3-4 months of the year. Then he wins the Rumble in 2004 and wins the big one at WM with a massive celebration, and then loses it at Summerslam and never got close to it again. So they spent a year on that build up, had it last 4-5 months, and put him right back where he was until he went crazy and snap suplexed himself to heck.

Aiii

So not worth it
If people really fear for and want to save Bryan's push, don't spend your money on Meltzer, but buy a Daniel Bryan shirt or action figure. Vince likes money.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well he did the ratings thing with Punk as well when he was champion. I think that he starting to stir the fear that everyone is thinking is that Vince will kill his push which does help getting customers who all fear this happening. Its going to need Triple H, Shawn and Regal to prevent this. Vince has a love affair with Cena that kills creating new stars and I hope he realizes that Bryan needs to beat him to make him a star.

Cena's had more exposure than Hulkamania and Hollywood Hogan combined. The front office relies more on cena than they did Bret Hart in the early 90s. In the early 90s Bret wrestled twice a night when he could. Now, if cena misses a house show, the audience is given refunds

Vince doesn't care about using Cena to sell WWE. He cares about using WWE to sell Cena.

dream is one of WrestlingGAF's finest posters.
Aren't you angry Beef? angry that the man who once called you a "fuckface" is possibly returning to regularly viewed television where his crude words may very well reach more innocent ears.
His heart simply wasn't in it while at TNA. I will hold my anger back while he is on commentary in WWE to see if his heart has returned. Because as we all know, you can't teach heart.
Who cares about AJ. Just fastforward everything he is in and you don't even have to acknowledge the guy.
Yep.

If people really fear for and want to save Bryan's push, don't spend your money on Meltzer, but buy a Daniel Bryan shirt or action figure. Vince likes money.

But not enough to create some Daniel Bryan merchandise I would actually buy - all his shirts are horrible and I'm not buying action figures. Give me some good t-shirts or a Daniel Bryan blu-ray already.

Professor Beef said:
dream is one of WrestlingGAF's finest posters.

dream's good people, but I fear he takes too much glee in the downfall of drug addicted conmen. Also, I think he's pretty bitter that, after years of telling us how Bryan was awful and was never going to get over, he's now over.

Top Bottom