• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

That was sweet, nice job WWE and Good Guy Paul.

Jamie Noble continues to impress me.

Serious. Although I would have loved for him to see more success in-ring with the WWE, I think it's awesome that he's obviously become quite valuable to them backstage - in the London & Kendrick shoot they mention how Jamie's always training, always holding seminars for the young wrestlers in the back, showing them holds and techniques, because he is ridiculously talented and one of the most well versed wrestlers they have.

strobogo

Banned
I watched Dredd (on DVD) Tuesday. I didn't really care for it. But I loved Punisher WZ. I'm liking Hulk, actually. But it doesn't really feel like it fits in with the rest of the MCU. Roth has a weird body. Like, he looks too old to be so sinewy and cut up, so it makes him look like his normal body is CGI or something. Not as weird as Stallone in the past few years, though. Having also just watched The Expendables 2, he looked about one step away from full on disturbing.

Oh shit, OMAR is in TIC! OMAR. And Avon was in Dredd. And McNulty was in Punisher. I get so pumped when I see The Wire guys in anything. I got totally stoked to see Daniels in a fucking GE lightbulb commercial. Marvel's CGI has really come a long way in 4 years. I don't want to say Hulk looks dated, but there were some clear advances between this and The Avengers.

Striker

There are no plans for Del Rio to go back to the car entrances now that he’s back a heel. There were those who were negative about it because the feeling is every fan knew it was fake and forced.
image.php

KissVibes

Banned
Well, they'll never touch Briley ever again. He better be careful lest he fuck up his brothers push too. I believe him and think people should speak out against that garbage but it'll take something way more concrete to change shit.

strobogo

Banned
Since the demise of WCW, I've never seen anything that points to Hugh Morris being anything but a giant creepy cunt. Before that, he seemed to be held in pretty high regard. But after 2001, he's been a mean, creepy bully on the level of Hardcore Holly, but more sexual.

Jamie OD

I recall a Kenny Omega story about how Bill would stare at dude's junk while he used the bathroom, something to that effect.

Photo evidence?

Another one was he challenged Kenny Omega to do a certain amount of exercises and if he succeeded everyone got the day off from training. Kenny did it immediately. I think Bill's training regimen is similar to the WCW Power Plant where the focus is on strength and stamina rather than learning to wrestle.

Photo evidence?

I might be missremembering or it could have been bullshit but didn't somebody in development put out a picture showing how Bill made two men wrestle naked?

Needless to say if fucking sucks that Jamie's doing so much for development whilst that fact sack of shit who's never produced anything worthwhile in wrestling is still there to hire models to give him blowjobs. Maybe Hayes just keeps him around to send the best performers up?

I might be missremembering or it could have been bullshit but didn't somebody in development put out a picture showing how Bill made two men wrestle naked?

Needless to say if fucking sucks that Jamie's doing so much for development whilst that fact sack of shit who's never produced anything worthwhile in wrestling is still there to hire models to give him blowjobs. Maybe Hayes just keeps him around to send the best performers up?

3590%20-%20michael_hayes%20wwe.png

strobogo

Banned
I believe Hugh got fired for the naked wrestling thing, then rehired for Tough Enough and then replaced Dr. Tom in developmental. And I think it is horse shit when you have gym teachers/trainers that make you do stupid shit like 4 hours of squats and running instead of training when they can't do any of that shit themselves. Humorous is a fat fuck. He couldn't do any of the stupid training he inflicts on people. He'd stroke out and that weird divot in his hairline would get worse.

What is WWEs deal of hiring ex-wrestlers as agents even though they never drew a penny in their lives?

IRS, Hayes, deMott, Taylor, Kidman and the fucking Brooklyn Brawler have no business telling people how they should try to get themselves over when they have never done so themselves.

Give Austin, Edge, Flair, Hart and Foley chunks of money, and give them those jobs

strobogo

Banned
Well, Michael Hayes was pretty successful, but he was a shitty wrestler even in his prime. I don't think Kidman is a trainer at all. IRS and Terry Taylor were good workers who make sense to help train guys. Brawler always sucked and it blows (lol) my mind that he's been employed for like 30 years.

Aiii

So not worth it
What is WWEs deal of hiring ex-wrestlers as agents even though they never drew a penny in their lives?

IRS, Hayes, deMott, Taylor, Kidman and the fucking Brooklyn Brawler have no business telling people how they should try to get themselves over when they have never done so themselves.

Give Austin, Edge, Flair, Hart and Foley chunks of money, and give them those jobs

Those guys made bank, they don't need these jobs and probably don't want them.

Flair and Foley do go to NXT on occassion (Flair in part because they employ his daughter) and help out the talent there. Other people go there too, as well as current top talent.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I watched Dredd (on DVD) Tuesday. I didn't really care for it. But I loved Punisher WZ. I'm liking Hulk, actually. But it doesn't really feel like it fits in with the rest of the MCU. Roth has a weird body. Like, he looks too old to be so sinewy and cut up, so it makes him look like his normal body is CGI or something. Not as weird as Stallone in the past few years, though. Having also just watched The Expendables 2, he looked about one step away from full on disturbing.

I appreciated Dredd more a week after I saw it than as it happened. I really do want to go back and watch it again now that I understand it's not Judge Dredd 2 starring Stallone (Stallone is great, don't say anything people.)

Woah, according to Metlzer, we're getting 4 New Japan iPPVs over July & August;

. Kizuna Road - 07/05 - Tokyo Korakuen Hall
. Kizuna Road - 07/20 - Akita Municipal Gymnasium
. G1 Climax XXIII - 08/04 - Osaka Bodymaker Colosseum
. G1 Climax XXIII FINAL - 08/11 - Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

As an NJPW fan I think they might oversaturate a little quickly. It's hard to knock it though since their shows this year have ALL knocked it out of the park and ARE amazing, but as soon as there's 2 in a row with a tepid reception, that's when oversaturation kills it. I know I personally can't check all of them out as they air, which makes me sad, but I have my limits and they're unfortunately very easy to reach.

As an NJPW fan I think they might oversaturate a little quickly. It's hard to knock it though since their shows this year have ALL knocked it out of the park and ARE amazing, but as soon as there's 2 in a row with a tepid reception, that's when oversaturation kills it. I know I personally can't check all of them out as they air, which makes me sad, but I have my limits and they're unfortunately very easy to reach.

True enough, it would be very easy for them to over-do the iPPVs, but as the cost to them is pretty low it might not be that much of a problem. I think they're just testing the waters to see how much interest there is - the 07/05 iPPV is the second of the smaller PPVs from Korakuen Hall we've had access to (including the NJ Cup, which probably had a bigger interest than most) and will be priced at $20, so it'll be interesting to see how well it does. The line-up isn't stellar on paper, so I'm guessing this one's success will rely on word of mouth. If it doesn't do well, perhaps New Japan would consider dropping the price further for smaller shows. $15 seems about right.

The 07/20 iPPV I'd expect to be on par with New Japan's other big shows this year, while the G1 shows are a different matter - the tournament is always one of the biggest events of the year and if the line-up's good I'd expect interest to be high enough to justify two iPPVs. The Osaka crowd should make the 08/04 show a lively one and the G1 finals are always a must-watch.

Jamie OD

The best trainers and coaches were not necessarily the best athletes in their time. This goes for any sport.

Ithil

They got Billy Gunn as a trainer last year. He seems like a good choice, he was a good wrestler and wasn't a huge star but he did have plenty of success in the NAO.

I'd rather he be head trainer than friggin' DeMott.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Those that can't do...teach! (I've always taken some offense at this but it rings true right here)

Also IRS was over as fuck.

jmdajr

Flair should definitely be an agent since he's broke as heck. He'd probbaly be causing all kind of shenanigans though.

FlairChuggingBeer.gif

jmdajr said:
Cena killed Del Rio's car gimmick :'(

I bet he misses driving them.

The car gimmick never made sense - it was like they expected it alone to signify what a rich asshole Del Rio is. Maybe if he'd continually played up how expensive his cars were, how the audience could never afford something so exclusive, etc, then it could have worked, but as it stands the cars were an extravagance that was easy to relate with - if you were rich, wouldn't you want to own a fleet of expensive-ass cars? Then there was Ricardo. The manservant gimmick should have worked perfectly, but instead of showing Del Rio demeaning Ricardo, forcing him to do his dirty work, making Ricardo a more sympathetic character, they repeatedly showed that Del Rio actually cared about his well-being.

They should have gone all-out with his evil rich aristocrat gimmick - hiring various heels to beat up his enemies, or paying them off to throw a match, using his wealth to sleaze over the divas, buying out superstar's contracts, hiring enforcers or private security to do his bidding, etc. Now, with his heel return, he's more of an asshole because of his in-ring actions than anything to do with his character.

Aiii

So not worth it
It stopped working when he had a different car everywhere he went and instead of going "this guy can afford to rent the most expensive cars in the world when he flies in on his private jet to Monday Night Raw" they said "These are ALL his cars"

Not even Bill Gates could spend that much cash on that many cars realistically, let alone a plantation owner from Mexico.

strobogo

Banned
I thought it came off as straight up product placement. Although to who, I don't know. I don't think a lot of people tuning into Raw every week are really in the market for Royces.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The cars were great just for the reason it gave us Ricardo's Rumble entrance.

jmdajr

The car gimmick never made sense - it was like they expected it alone to signify what a rich asshole Del Rio is. Maybe if he'd continually played up how expensive his cars were, how the audience could never afford something so exclusive, etc, then it could have worked, but as it stands the cars were an extravagance that was easy to relate with - if you were rich, wouldn't you want to own a fleet of expensive-ass cars? Then there was Ricardo. The manservant gimmick should have worked perfectly, but instead of showing Del Rio demeaning Ricardo, forcing him to do his dirty work, making Ricardo a more sympathetic character, they repeatedly showed that Del Rio actually cared about his well-being.

They should have gone all-out with his evil rich aristocrat gimmick - hiring various heels to beat up his enemies, or paying them off to throw a match, using his wealth to sleaze over the divas, buying out superstar's contracts, hiring enforcers or private security to do his bidding, etc. Now, with his heel return, he's more of an asshole because of his in-ring actions than anything to do with his character.

Nu-uh

Del Rio bought a new car every city he went to. Don't hate on the guy because he didn't have time to look at the tech specs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
God help me, in order to explain how easy it is to get a concussion, I posted the video of R-Truth knocking Ted DiBiase Jr silly at OTL2010...in the Zimmerman thread. I don't mean it like that, people!

What's funny is that the stuff coming out about DeMott now is the same shit that got him fired back when he was involved in WWE's Deep South Wrestling in 2007.

He's got a fantastic wrestling mind and is really passionate about it, but I guess has some...other issues?

. That one time he had a good match with Umaga, against all odds.
. That one time he and Orton/Batista/JBL wrestled and it was pretty good.
. The one time Bryan/Punk/Shawn/Kurt/Edge/Jericho carried him to a good match.

strobogo

Banned
Top 10 is pretty solid. I think almost all of them are better than what ended up at 1. Both HBK matches and the Bork match especially.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey now, Cena's capable of good matches that DON'T require someone else carrying him.

Some of them out there. Was glad to see Cena/Bork on there from ER last year. But a lot of that was Bork. Bork is a world-class talent.

Top Bottom