• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

strafer

om nom nom

JnOuZUO.gif

tumblr_nn8ij4Iy9W1rsiohpo1_1280.jpg

Wish I could find a better quality version of this image. It's my favorite marketing image but I think it was for Burger King or something lol. Would have made a better theatrical poster or home video cover IMO.

...though Owen's face is kind of weird. That's the only thing.

strafer

Wish I could find a better quality version of this image. It's my favorite marketing image but I think it was for Burger King or something lol. Would have made a better theatrical poster or home video cover IMO.

Man, that is gritty as fuck. Never seen this.

20 years after the Lost World novel they finally did the raptors and motorcycles scene... only to have them go bad after the motorcycles. I'm disappoint.

Right? Definitely a cooler image than the Deathly Hallows one they used for the Blu-ray.

20 years after the Lost World novel they finally did the raptors and motorcycles scene... only to have them go bad after the motorcycles. I'm disappoint.

I do wish there was more motorcycle action. Like during the ambulance chase Owen could have been on it trailing them and trying to get the raptors away from the kids.

Jawmuncher

That image was only used for the Dairy Queen Cups.
Don't KNOW WHY THOUGH. Would have made a nice alternate poster.

ROFL holy shit, never seen that comparison

I don't know. I feel like it's a deliberate ripoff. I really sincerely hope Universal steps up their marketing imagery game next time. It was pretty terrible for Jurassic World. The marketing itself obviously wasn't bad (lol) but apart from like the Mosasaur poster there was a severe lack of striking imagery and it was all mostly generic.

That image was only used for the Dairy Queen Cups.
Don't KNOW WHY THOUGH. Would have made a nice alternate poster.

Dairy Queen with that superior marketing imagery.

DQ's marketing is so good it's riDQulous

I don't know. I feel like it's a deliberate ripoff. I really sincerely hope Universal steps up their marketing imagery game next time. It was pretty terrible for Jurassic World. The marketing itself obviously wasn't bad (lol) but apart from like the Mosasaur poster there was a severe lack of striking imagery and it was all mostly generic.
Possibly, it's pretty spot on. Though it's also really bland and generic, so it could be coincidence.

And I think now that Jurassic World is the 4th (formerly 3rd) highest grossing film of all time with an absurd budget, Universal will be stepping up their marketing game (and licensing game for that matter). Going into Jurassic World they were clearly being a bit cautious.

I also kind of wish the logo were different, like same concept but maybe instead of the T-Rex skeleton it'd be the Indominus skeleton as it was the new feature creature of the movie. Like how Jurassic 3's logo had the Spino.

And I think now that Jurassic World is the 4th (formerly 3rd) highest grossing film of all time with an absurd budget, Universal will be stepping up their marketing game (and licensing game for that matter). Going into Jurassic World they were clearly being a bit cautious.

They just didn't really know, or at least the extent of it. But yeah, better marketing, better designs, and I hope they don't think they have to show the entire movie again between the trailers and all the 250 TV spots. That was just fucking ridiculous, even Trevorrow got pissed about it.

And yeah licensing/merch. The toys and stuff were mostly shit.

Jawmuncher

Was sad that the best toys were the JD die cast cars.

I also agree that the marketing showed way too much of the film, along with not being a fan of the posters. Even as a ripoff, I felt the Owen with Raptors was the best poster. Just because it had the most excitement to it. Claire looking at the indominus was a good idea in theory but I don't think they pulled it off. Mosasaurus was cool and all, but it was just kind of a bland pic to me. "Wow it's big" was all that poster had to offer, if you weren't a fan of that animal. Really was surprised they only had 3 posters for the movie (Not counting the mondo and the teaser poster with logo).

Though dunno why i'm picking on posters considering JP1, TLW, and JP3 all just went with a logo and nothing else (With slight effects here and there). JP3 was easily the worst though. The Pterodactyl shadow on the logo with all of the metal looked so tacky. What was with all of the metal? Made it seem like it was set in the future or it was a new park or something. Considering it was going back to a run down island, rust would have made more sense.

I had so many Jurassic Park and Lost World figures growing up.

IAN MALCOLM "Chaos Expert" with Launching Smart Missile & T-Rex Hatchling

fucking lol. And what the hell is up with that Peter Ludlow figure?

peter.jpg

Jawmuncher

Even if you didn't like TLW as a film. The toys were fucking phenomenal just like the JP1 sets. The Chaos Effect line was hit or miss. Shame hasbro has proceeded to fuck them up when they got a hold of JP3 (Where everything was way too hard plastic and weren't in good poses to play with) and JW just had them cheaping it out for the majority of it.

The best set after TLW was the Toys R Us exclusive set which was mainly just a lot of reprints of older stuff. But it was sparsely available.
Kenner made them top quality toys.

I had so many Jurassic Park and Lost World figures growing up.

IAN MALCOLM "Chaos Expert" with Launching Smart Missile & T-Rex Hatchling

fucking lol. And what the hell is up with that Peter Ludlow figure?

peter.jpg
So many generic buff guy figures. It's like they just had one "action guy" mold and ran with it.

Gravidee

The hell? I wish posters like that were still a thing. Way better looking than the stuff that looks like it was completed through photoshop in 2 hours. And somehow the raptors in the artwork look more defined than their movie models...

Nah they look the same, it's just the lighting of the scan and color tone of the image in general :p

But yeah it's a pretty cool poster, and if I'd seen it before I knew anything about the movie I would have been like okay-- they just killed Jurassic Park.

That's what I like about the movie, it pretty much opened a few cans of worms and ran with it, and now I find myself hoping for more crazy.

These toy images are hit and miss for me, sometimes they load and sometimes not.

If Imgur didn't suck a bag of dicks these days that'd be nice.

gawd damn

mcc2.jpg
That's pretty legit.

Also makes me wish there were more Lego Jurassic sets beyond the few JW sets and those weird Lego Studios JP3 sets. Because the trailer would make a bad-ass set.

The rejected Lego Ideas Cuusoo JP sets make me cry. :( Hell, all the minifigs and sets in the Lego Jurassic World game too...

strafer

by the way, did anyone else have a The Lost World sticker book of some kind? I think it was.

The cover was this T-rex face but it's not this book.

latest

For those interested in the old 2004 John Sayles Jurassic Park 4 script you can download it here! Yes, it has Raptors and Dilophosaurs dropping in out of a helicopter taking out a drug lord as its climax. It's weird as fuck. And it shares a TON with Jurassic World (ex military guy training raptors, hybrids, etc).

As for old characters, yeah I think Tim and Lex are the natural fits. Odds are they own a part of InGen, plus they probably share some personality quirks with John Hammond and have an interest in what happens to the dinosaurs in the future.

Also, I could see Malcolm returning.. he's like a moth to the flame for an excuse to say 'I told you so'.

So much better than the goofy ass version they went with. Though his face looks off in both. Honestly, they should have thrown him way in the back, giving the raptors some cool backlight but letting them steal the show.

The bullet points alone were enough to break me. I literally don't know if I could do it.

It's got a hippie seaplane pilot who's eaten by a Mosasaurus. Read it.

Oh. And Excavaraptors - trap door raptors. On Nublar. And Dilophosaurus is inexplicably referred to as Chlamydosaurus (a modern day reptile).

It's got a little girl hostage rescued by raptors. Pteranodons attacking little league games. Drugs lords duel wielding Uzis in a Jacuzzi wearing nothing but gold chains. Sword on raptor action. Evil dude with a crossbow. An Ankylosaurus in a dungeon.

Shit, I can go on.. but you all have to read that script.

It's got a hippie seaplane pilot who's eaten by a Mosasaurus. Read it.

Oh. And Excavaraptors - trap door raptors. On Nublar. And Dilophosaurus is inexplicably referred to as Chlamydosaurus (a modern day reptile).

It's got a little girl hostage rescued by raptors. Pteranodons attacking little league games. Drugs lords duel wielding Uzis in a Jacuzzi wearing nothing but gold chains. Sword on raptor action. Evil dude with a crossbow. An Ankylosaurus in a dungeon.

Shit, I can go on.. but you all have to read that script.

It's like a really, really, really bad fan-fiction with less sex and more 100% pure cocaine.

... there is less sex, right

It's like a really, really, really bad fan-fiction with less sex and more 100% pure cocaine.

... there is less sex, right
It has a romance subplot even more unnecessary and tacked on than JW's.

The JP4 script is a national treasure. It ends with the raptors basically killing everyone and the main dude gets into like a spear fight with a guy? And this nerdy scientist guy who worked for the bad guys was hiding in a tree the whole time. After everything's over, he climbs down, marvels at the desolation, and then a pterosaur randomly flies down and kills him (there were no pterosaurs otherwise present in the scene). Then the credits roll. That's the end.

It reads like a really, really rough first draft written by a guy that doesn't really seem to give a shit. I'm sure there were later drafts--the "modified" raptors in the script are described as looking fairly normal, the effed up half human dinosaurs from the infamous concept art aren't present at all in the script--but the one we have is just a sight to behold.

Also, there is no tyrannosaurus in the script at all (the only reference is on a poster seen on Isla Nublar), which just strikes me as really, really odd.

Oh, and back when the script came out I drew this attempt at visually realizing the bizarre "Excavaraptors." Or "Digging Killers, or plain DIGGERS" (to quote the script).
john_sayles__jp4__excavaraptor__by_green_mamba-d67qint.png

Hire me, Universal.

The JP4 script is a national treasure. It ends with the raptors basically killing everyone and the main dude gets into like a spear fight with a guy? And this nerdy scientist guy who worked for the bad guys was hiding in a tree the whole time. After everything's over, he climbs down, marvels at the desolation, and then a pterosaur randomly flies down and kills him (there were no pterosaurs otherwise present in the scene). Then the credits roll. That's the end.

It reads like a really, really rough first draft written by a guy that doesn't really seem to give a shit. I'm sure there were later drafts--the "modified" raptors in the script are described as looking fairly normal, the effed up half human dinosaurs from the infamous concept art aren't present at all in the script--but the one we have is just a sight to behold.
I feel like reading this means I have to accept that someone wrote this and I don't know if I'm ready for it. Maybe I'll make an event of it with some friends, lol

Also, there is no tyrannosaurus in the script at all (the only reference is on a poster seen on Isla Nublar), which just strikes me as really, really odd.

Oh, and back when the script came out I drew this attempt at visually realizing the bizarre "Excavaraptors." Or "Digging Killers, or plain DIGGERS" (to quote the script).
john_sayles__jp4__excavaraptor__by_green_mamba-d67qint.png

Hire me, Universal.

I really hate lazy screenwriters who make up shit like "excavaraptors". First of all A)Use real types of dinosaurs not made up ones and B)Stick to the canon and select from one of the 15 species that were on the island at the time.

Having said that your art works cool though!

Jerm411

So I know I'm more than likely LTTP on things but are there any rumors at all about JW2 or its plot....?

Where we go with Wu is super intriguing to me....

-sdp

As long as we don't get "Jurassic War" I'll be happy, sadly that's what they hinted at the most in the movie.

I'm ok with pretty much most scenarios, clean up of JW in Nublar, return to Sorna, a "site C", an Ice age park, more hybrids like the toyline, a few(very few) dinosaurs in the mainland.

Jawmuncher

As long as we don't get "Jurassic War" I'll be happy, sadly that's what they hinted at the most in the movie.

I'm ok with pretty much most scenarios, clean up of JW in Nublar, return to Sorna, a "site C", an Ice age park, more hybrids like the toyline, a few(very few) dinosaurs in the mainland.

The whole ice age thing is my personal "don't want to see". If dinosaurs end up taking a back seat it'll be rather odd.

Top Bottom