• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

-sdp

Well I'm not particularly crazy for it either but I'll take it any day over nations using dinosaurs as weapons as foreshadowed in JW. That's just not something I want to see in the movie universe.

The problem is Jurassic Park was never built to sustain a franchise, particularly not one six movies long, so there's really not any direction they can take it that doesn't veer wildly from what the series started as. Some outlandish tangent is pretty much a literal necessity if they want to make more. Honestly, I don't understand why Spielberg has always been so hell-bent on continuing the franchise, especially when outside of it and Indiana Jones (a series very, very much built for sequels - it's) he's never had a thing for sequels. Jaws very much continued on in spite of him, not because of him.

Regarding the ice age though, nah, that will never happen besides maybe some passing reference or a very minor subplot or something (like, at most a quick mention of a competing park or a spin-off project by Masrani/InGen). While other angles might be far dumber, I think the ice age is pretty much straight up antithetical to Jurassic Park. Sure, it's extinct animals, but they're mammals that are largely similar to what we have to today, coexisted with humans, their extinctions were partly man-driven, and most importantly the ice age has nothing to do with dinosaurs. Plus, that god awful Ray Romano series burnt that setting to the ground lol

Saw this beauty Tuesday morning
iFd8GrOl.jpg

K9xV43Ol.jpg

sorry for the bad quality, using 5s and pitch zoom.

Saw this beauty Tuesday morning
iFd8GrOl.jpg

K9xV43Ol.jpg

sorry for the bad quality, using 5s and pitch zoom.

Saw a similar one on campus once, but it had a hard top. Was still jealous as fuck though. Probably still have pics somewhere.

At the Jurassic World premiere someone had a fairly decent tour Explorer too.

I think some of yous need to think outside the box with the "Jurassic Soldiers" angle.

I'm not expecting wars between nations already. It HAS to be dinos escaping the lab into smaller Costa Rican villages.

And I've mentioned earlier in the thread, this is where Claire and Owen have most likely settled down. Or if not "settled", maybe they have taken the task of tracking down Wu and handling reports of "giant lizards (birds? In case they add feathers for good will?" terrorizing the villages.

Well of course now that I've typed this out, it won't be anything like that either...

I think some of yous need to think outside the box with the "Jurassic Soldiers" angle.

I'm not expecting wars between nations already. It HAS to be dinos escaping the lab into smaller Costa Rican villages.

And I've mentioned earlier in the thread, this is where Claire and Owen have most likely settled down. Or if not "settled", maybe they have taken the task of tracking down Wu and handling reports of "giant lizards (birds? In case they add feathers for good will?" terrorizing the villages.

Well of course now that I've typed this out, it won't be anything like that either...

I kind of wish some of the "government cover-up"-y parts (including that parts similar to what you're describing) of the Lost World novel hadn't been abandoned, but as was it's unusable now that there is (well, was?) an open park and a dino has been loose in San Diego. :p

Pizza

I'd love to see a time jump with the next movies with extinct plants and dinsaurs adapting to the heating climate waaaaay faster than we can and now the world essentially looks like Jurassic park if it ate major cities and stuff

Post-apocalypse old-as-fuck Allan and Malcolm and the kirbies on a road trip Jurassic park movie

Edit: bonus points if it uses some of this stuff, which is where I totally stole this idea from

markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2015/07/where-next-for-jurassic-park-movies.html?m=1

I'd love to see a time jump with the next movies with extinct plants and dinsaurs adapting to the heating climate waaaaay faster than we can and now the world essentially looks like Jurassic park if it ate major cities and stuff

Post-apocalypse old-as-fuck Allan and Malcolm and the kirbies on a road trip Jurassic park movie

plz no

Pizza

I like Jurassic park 3 from the lense of someone writing the movie while thinking "how can grant have the worst possible experience"

That doesn't make it good, but it's really silly how hard they fuck with the poor guy's ptsd. Also I want to see Kirby get punched in the face again

-sdp

I'm not expecting wars between nations already. It HAS to be dinos escaping the lab into smaller Costa Rican villages..

I'm not expecting wars between nations but maybe the government using dinosaurs as weapons for random military missions and that kind of sucks. Now dinos escaping into smaller costa rican villages is something awesome I'd love to see, I'm perfectly ok with that and totally fits JP since it's something the novels deal with it, hell it's also in one of the comics and it worked there as well.

The problem is Jurassic Park was never built to sustain a franchise, particularly not one six movies long, so there's really not any direction they can take it that doesn't veer wildly from what the series started as. Some outlandish tangent is pretty much a literal necessity if they want to make more.

Ok, I only agree somewhat, I do think all sequels after the first are unecessary but you still have a world where dinosaurs are no longer extinct on an island that gives plenty of things to make a movie about. A movie of the clean up, dinosaurs escaping the mainland, Biosyn trying to steal their secrets, saving dinosaurs from poachers are all ideas just off the top of my head right now but could all be expanded. It doesn't have to be a connecting franchise like Star Wars but random events in this world JW setting up the new trilogy is dumb since this isn't a franchise that needs a story arc like harry potter so just make each movie stand alone with a different idea.

I thought the gyrosphere attack in IMAX was pretty intimidating and intense as well as a handful of other things, but I'd definitely like something scarier.

More animatronics doesn't really surprise me tbh, with as much money the first one made surely the budget will be larger and the effects better.

edit: it's loading poorly for me so if anyone can point out the finer details that'd be appreciated.

All the deets thanks to Jurassic Outpost:

(On J.A. Bayonas involvement)“It will be more suspenseful and scary. It’s just the way it’s designed; it’s the way the story plays out. I knew I wanted Bayona to direct it long before anyone ever heard that was a possibility, so the whole thing was just built around his skillset.”

“Film has become so cutthroat and competitive; it felt like an opportunity to create a situation where two directors could really collaborate. It’s rare these days, but it’s something that the directors that we admire used to do all the time—one writes and produces and the other directs, and the end result is something that’s unique to both of them. I’m in the office right now, I’ve been here every day since July working closely with J.A., listening to his instincts, and honing the script with Derek to make sure it’s something that all of us believe in.”

Jurassic World was built upon 12 years ideas from Steven Spielberg, but the sequel is fresh territory to go in whichever direction they [Colin Trevorrow and Steven Spielberg] choose.

“Jurassic World had to restart the engine. This movie has to prove it has a reason to exist”

Jurassic World 2 is “Built upon the concepts and stories that Crichton created with the novels.”

“A mistake made a long time ago just can’t be undone.” is a real world theme that plays heavily into JW2. “You can’t put it back into the box”

Dialog from the first book is in JW2. “It makes me feel like such a good writer (…) Look at me, that’s a hell of a sentence”

Crichton has the ability to make things completely bonkers feel real and motivated.

That’s the goal with these movies, to make these large ideas feel part of our world.

This movie doesn’t need to be ‘bigger’. It’s not about ‘bigger better dinosaurs’ or ‘bigger action sequences’. Brings up Raptors in the Kitchen scene vs Indominus Rex Helicopter explosion, and how the simplicity of the former is just as effective – of not more.

“I think the lack of animatronics in Jurassic World had more to do with the physicality of the Indominus, the way the animal moved. It was very fast and fluid, it ran a lot, and needed to move its arms and legs and neck and tail all at once. It wasn’t a lumbering creature. We’ve written some opportunities for animatronics into [Jurassic World 2]—because it has to start at the script level—and I can definitely tell you that Bayona has the same priorities, he is all about going practical whenever possible.”

Budgetary requirements of JW also led to less animatronics. One of the rewards of success is they can make more with JW2. They will utilize the general animatronic rules of the franchise: best used when standing still, or with less complex actions.
Even when working with CG, it’s important to work with real effects as well. (For example: a model helicopter was built for JW crash.)

[ILM] are looking into using motion capture on real animals for JW2 – beyond traditional motion studies.

With JW he sometimes gave instructions to animate the Indominus like it was a animatronic

There are new dinosaurs in the movie which were real and existed. They are looking at existing paleoart, and defining the Jurassic Park version from there: there is a specific look to Stan Winston dinosaurs, and it’s important to stay true to it.

Colin is proudly ‘guilty’ of caring about the Dinosaurs as much as the people. They’re characters.

On feathered dinosaurs: Jurassic World addressed the issue of featherless dinosaurs with Dr. Wu’s speech. “Whether or not that will evolve or change over the course of the films? I cannot tell you. We will see.”

The Jurassic Park East Dock sign in Jurassic World was swapped out for the Research sign due to the latter alluding to more about the old park, further expanding the world.

“I feel like an idiot to say I did not expect it, but that’s the truth. None of us did.” Zara’s Death, Claire’s Heels. He hopes people can see his intention for the scenes, just as he can see their interpretation. “Claire wasn’t going to let uncomfortable shoes stop her from being a total badass and getting shit done”

“Zara was about surprising viewers with an unearned death (which is something we are dealing with a lot in the world now). It’s an Amblin thing.. seeing something we probably shouldn’t get to see as a child

Hawaii is a primary location but not the only one. But yes, part of the story takes place in the familiar fictional territory Hawaii represents.

The movie does not take place in the UK, they’re only making the movie there. So, no dinosaurs rampaging through London.

On militarized dinosaurs in JW2 “I’m not that interested in militarized dinosaurs, at least not in practice. I liked it in theory as the pipe dream of a lunatic [Hoskins]. When that idea was first presented to me as part of an earlier script it was something that the character that ended up being Owen was for, that he supported, something that he was actively doing even at the beginning. Derek and I, one of our first reactions was ‘No if anyone’s gonna militarize raptors that’s what the bad guy does, he’s insane.’”

“Jurassic World War feels like a cartoon to me. I’d watch that cartoon with my kid, but I wouldn’t make it.” – It’s not the sequel, but don’t let that stop you from making the fun fanart!

Jurassic World 2 is about our relationship with animals, and how we share the planet with other living things. There’s mention of militarization in the sequel, but there’s also mention of open source and humans living along dinosaurs – he favors the latter for the sequels story.

On how much he had planned for the trilogy when making Jurassic World: “I knew the end. I knew where I wanted it to go.”

Kids who saw Jurassic World will be threes years older by JW2. A jump from 9 years old to 12 is huge. It’s about making the story grow up for them, and it’s why he’s bringing in a Spanish horror director.

The structure of Jurassic World was about getting bigger and bigger as the story progressed. JW2 is very inspired by the structure Jurassic Park (which had its biggest sequence in the middle and then funneled into a series of claustrophobic and intimate scenes towards the end).

J.A. Bayona on the sequel: “I was very surprised by the story.” He likes the idea of having a lot of things you do not expect, but also remain respectful to the tradition and legacy. “There are things you really don’t expect and it is very exciting”
Jurassic World 2 does have a title, but it remains secret, and they won’t share when it’ll go public

Colin Trevorrow: “Go see A Monster Calls to understand why he’s the right guy for Jw2.”

All of that sounds... perfect. And Bayona is great, so I ain't even worried. Also doesn't sound like it's going to continue the militarization aspect, but I still expect them to do crazier things with the dinosaurs.

edit: yeah already with the posts in the new thread about this stuff, I think I'll just continue to hang out riiiiight here.

strafer

All of that sounds... perfect. And Bayona is great, so I ain't even worried. Also doesn't sound like it's going to continue the militarization aspect, but I still expect them to do crazier things with the dinosaurs.

edit: yeah already with the posts in the new thread about this stuff, I think I'll just continue to hang out riiiiight here.

You realise that now? This will be my home for the next 10 years.

Dialog from the first book is in JW2.

JW2 is very inspired by the structure Jurassic Park

they do realize they don't have to keep remaking Jurassic Park, do they?

oh wait i forgot, new dinosaurs too! that's never been done before. oh wait....

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dialog from the first book is in JW2.

JW2 is very inspired by the structure Jurassic Park

they do realize they don't have to keep remaking Jurassic Park, do they?

oh wait i forgot, new dinosaurs too! that's never been done before. oh wait....
Structure doesnt need to reprise story. He made it clear when he said that the whole thing is from big, open scenes to get to more and more closer encounters with dinosaurs.

Structure doesnt need to reprise story. He made it clear when he said that the whole thing is from big, open scenes to get to more and more closer encounters with dinosaurs.

Yup @ bolded.

Also, the Jurassic Park novel is quite different from the movie, and more importantly it's quite a hell of a leap from slipping in some of the original lines to "oh it's a remake".

I think i have every toy from the Lost World line and some from the first movie. Do you guys know if they are worth anything? I still want them for nostalgia sake and wont get rid of them if its not really all worth that much. I have all the store exclusives, the big RV, the hospital bed thing and so on and so on. I was a spoiled child lol.

Final Destination I can get behind but Pringles? Nah breh.

I can't get behind the former myself, not sure what the guy was talking about lol

Final Destination is about some teenagers that avoid a fatal accident part of the natural order but someone sees it happen and stops it. I'm not sure what it is about the new JW2 details that lead to any remote comparison.

edit: you probably didn't see the post I was referring to in the other thread :p

Official 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' 1:1 Compsognathus replica, by Chronicle Collectibles!

cXqOnon.jpg

Chronicle Collectibles introduces the The Lost World: Jurassic Park 1:1 Compsognathus. This product was molded and cast directly from a Stan Winston casting from The Lost World: Jurassic Park. We had the honor of working with Tim Gore on this piece to have the master hand-painted by the original painter of the Compy from the film. These pieces will be individually numbered.

30″ long, 16″ tall and 8″ wide on the base

This piece is available for pre-order and is estimated to ship in 2nd Quarter 2017.

$349.99 - Limited Edition Size: TBD after 30 days

strafer

So there are rumors circulating about Jurassic World 2 being dark like Empire Strikes Back.

I don't remember that movie being partically dark.

Fuchsdh

So there are rumors circulating about Jurassic World 2 being dark like Empire Strikes Back.

I don't either, in that all its tragedy is really at a personal scale. The rebellion escapes Hoth just fine, the rebel leaders get away... Luke loses an arm, learns some family history, and Han gets frozen, those are the only "dark" things about it and only one of those elements doesn't get immediately resolved.

I think the real comparison he was drawing was this:

J.A. Bayona said:
"There are things that will happen that people are not expecting and they really are shocking."

The being darker bit was probably its own thought, as it's been a common way Colin and J.A have described the film after being asked straight up if it would be scarier. Also, they've been using darker/scarier interchangeably.

Empire has always been invoked whenever talk of a sequel leads to "ok, but this time it's darker".

And it's not a rumor btw, J.A. Bayona said it.

ANCIENT FUTURES - 'LUCY' Open Casting Call - Jurassic World 2

She is a young girl around 9 years of age. The girl playing “Lucy” must be at least 9 years of age by February 2017, but cannot be over 10 years old. She must be a sensitive and clever actress capable of handling long and complex scenes. Lucy must be able to handle a range of emotions from tender moments with her father, to anxiety, bravery, and shock.

This role represents a huge and exciting opportunity for a young actress to play a significant role in a major Hollywood blockbuster.

--

This role has been apparently testing quietly for a few weeks now.. curious if we'll get news on other roles soon as well.

Jawmuncher

I've said before but i'm personally tired of kids in Jurassic Park films. Like I get why they're there. But me as a kid, and every kid I ever talk to doesn't connect with those characters. They do their job in growing characters in certain films like JP1 and JW. But JP3 and TLW so didn't need them.

Kids want to be the heroes. The kid characters aren't that.

Wonder if Lucy is the character's name or a smoke screen.

I personally want kids in Jurassic Park movies, it's just simply the whole Amblin/Spielbergness of it. Zach and Gray were fine for me.

I related to Gray a lot, he reminded me of... me when I was 10 and the original movie came out. His sense of awe regarding the new park was great so I could sort of project myself into that. Also with the divorce angle, ironically enough.

Jawmuncher

Wonder if Lucy is the character's name or a smoke screen.

I personally want kids in Jurassic Park movies, it's just simply the whole Amblin/Spielbergness of it. Zach and Gray were fine for me.

They were "fine" and that was about it. I personally don't think shaking up the forumla just a little bit would be an issue. But apparently it's spielberg who is insistent on it.

The fact that most people refer to the kids characters as the kids and not by name compared to the rest of the cast speaks volumes. JP1 is the only film where it felt right to me. Every other sequel has felt like the kids were forced to meet spielbergs requirement.

Oh in TLW it's so Malcolm can become a good dad. Even though they set him up as being good with kids, just not good with holding a relationship.
JP3's whole reason needing to be getting a super survival kid was laughable.
JW is the only other film outside JP1 where the kids were fine, but easily less to an extent than their JP1 counterparts.

I make it sound like I absolutely hate the kids in the films, which I don't. But I do feel that after the 1st film, none of the kids have had really good story reasons for being there. I'm obviously not gonna write off JW2 for having kids. But I do hope it's a worthwhile inclusion .

Eh it's easy to refer to them as the kids but I know their names as I have an attention span :p

3 was about saving the kid at least and I didn't think the kids in JW were any less important than Tim and Lex.

Kelly is the worst and most pointless IMO

Zach and Grey were awful characters. Zach was boring and generic, as well as an asshole and remarkably stupid. Grey was the same vaguely-on-the-spectrum, inhumanly awkward math wunderkind trope that I had seen in several things at the time (particularly on mediocre TV shows), who felt like he was written and directed by someone who had never encountered a young kid. And I loved him in Iron Man 3, so it definitely wasn't at all on the actor.

I thought Zach was a pretty normal teen and I've encountered kids like Gray. Didn't think Zach did anything stupid. He took the gyro out because he was trying to make Gray happy after the convo about the divorce-- where we found out Zach didn't know about it, which is why he had a change of heart and attitude concerning their visit. At first he didn't care but learning of the divorce rattled him and jarred him out of acting the way he was. Taking the gyro out may have been stupid, but he was trying to cheer up Gray. It definitely wasn't beyond something a kid would do. I did dumb shit when I was younger and especially when I was a teen.

I guess I got it but others didn't feel the same, alright.

Top Bottom