• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
that dude is going places, his fury road stuff was so good. i'm intrigued about his batman theme for sure now.

Same here. I really dug his 300 stuff, too. I just hope he doesn't fall into the pit of his sounds all becoming the same thing. Most of his stuff in Fury Road can he heard in both 300 and Divergent.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm glad you changed your avatar, Toa TAK. Just finishing off TLW now. Only JP3 left for tomorrow then Thursday I'm gonna be rushing into the cinema.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm going to be that horrible parent that brings his four year old kid to see this movie.

But he watches Jurassic Park and gets hyped over it! DADDY! DINOSAUR EAT THE CAR! DINOSAUR EAT THE CAR!

Yeah buddy, The T-Rex is munching on the car tires.

DINOSAUR SHAKE THE MAN! WHAT'S HE DOING!?

He's about to eat the man. He probably shouldn't have hid on the toilet.

HE EAT THE MAN! DINOSAUR EAT THE MAN!

Yeah, it's kind of scary. Do you like the movie?

YESH! MORE DINOSAURS!

You can keep watching the movie, buddy. Ok?

YESH!

Summary: mediocre dialogue, over-the-top evil corporation plot, mostly thin/cliche characters (Pratt and Jake Johnson are solid), great action sequences/setpieces, carries the "spirit" of the original.

You are much more optimistic than myself. I'm expecting 70, 75 tops. Which isn't bad, of course.

Not that RT matters.

So pretty much everything what made the first movie great is bad in JW, lol.

the OP:
UEy9ss6.gif

me:
tumblr_inline_mhd6p20Uaz1rf2nv9.gif

it's gonna be great.
childhood devastation imminent

hoping it's better than godzilla at least. that film was quite boring. honestly i think the best monster movie since jurassic park is still attack the block (and it will very unlikely be bested by this)

followed by the host.

i don't think colin trevorrow (combined with the restrictions placed on him by spielberg and universal) has it in him. we'll see though, might matinee this one for the dinosaurs and the theme song.

So pretty much everything what made the first movie great is bad in JW, lol.

What made the original great is the setpieces/action sequences, IMO. Those are masterful. I rewatched the series this past weekend and the T-Rex attack is head and shoulders above any other action sequence in all the other movies, although raptors in the kitchen is close.

Otherwise, Jurassic Park is propped up by its actors. It does have good dialogue (well, it has some cheesy moments, for sure), but all the interesting dialogue in the first act is there just to establish the themes and then they're basically completely abandoned. The rest of the movie is just saying, "See? See what they told you? They were right!"

Malcolm, Ellie, and Grant basically have no flaws and are right the entire time. The ones who are flawed either die (Genarro, Nedry) or take their licks (Hammond).

I guess what I'm saying is: Jurassic Park is actually a fairly shallow movie, as far as its writing goes. It does the bare minimum to establish the book's themes, it oozes charm, has great performances, and masters all of its setpieces/action sequences, but it's not like it has a super strong script backing it up.

Random question: Does the I-Rex have any T-Rex DNA?

According to the official JW site, no.

jtb

Banned
I still want to know how Colin Trevorrow managed to blackmail his way into this directing gig. Because he clearly wasn't given it off the strength of his resume.

and I agree—JP is definitely a staple because dinosaurs are awesome, but it's far from Spielberg at the peak of his powers.

I still want to know how Colin Trevorrow managed to blackmail his way into this directing gig. Because he clearly wasn't given it off the strength of his resume.

and I agree—JP is definitely a staple because dinosaurs are awesome, but it's far from Spielberg at the peak of his powers.

I can't remember if Spielberg said this, but someone was impressed with the characters in Safety Not Guaranteed. They thought Trevorrow would bring a good human element to a movie like this.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm glad you changed your avatar, Toa TAK. Just finishing off TLW now. Only JP3 left for tomorrow then Thursday I'm gonna be rushing into the cinema.
Yup! Work is gonna be long tonight. I'm on the same schedule as you. Just JPIII tomorrow, then Thursday is Jurassic World Day.
I like it quite a bit.

This is gonna sound like a slam, considering the quality of the movie that the score is attached to, but it's not: This is like a (much) better version of what Ottman did on Superman Returns.
I feel you there, in terms of capturing the essence of the original film, while tying new themes and cues for a new film, right?
What made the original great is the setpieces/action sequences, IMO. Those are masterful. I rewatched the series this past weekend and the T-Rex attack is head and shoulders above any other action sequence in all the other movies, although raptors in the kitchen is close.

Otherwise, Jurassic Park is propped up by its actors. It does have good dialogue (well, it has some cheesy moments, for sure), but all the interesting dialogue in the first act is there just to establish the themes and then they're basically completely abandoned. The rest of the movie is just saying, "See? See what they told you? They were right!"

Malcolm, Ellie, and Grant basically have no flaws and are right the entire time. The ones who are flawed either die (Genarro, Nedry) or take their licks (Hammond).

I guess what I'm saying is: Jurassic Park is actually a fairly shallow movie, as far as its writing goes. It does the bare minimum to establish the book's themes, it oozes charm, has great performances, and masters all of its setpieces/action sequences, but it's not like it has a super strong script backing it up.

+1 this post. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies, but there's no denying that most, if not all, of the characters don't really develop or change during or after the events of the film.

Also, I must say that the Velociraptors in The Lost World are the most incompetent dinosaurs in the series. I was thinking about that watching that final sequence on the island with them, even Jurassic Park III's raptors are a constant threat, but when these guys show up, it's only for a few minutes and they're so discombobulated. Glad that was in the Honest Trailer.

I'd say the highlight of that film begins with Muldoon and Ellie going out to the shed, and Grant & the Kids approaching the fence. From there, straight to the kids getting rescued from the Kitchen. That whole stretch is just *ridiculous* in its pacing, and contains two all-time jumpscares to boot. People talk about the T-Rex attack, which is great, yes, but nothing in any of the Jurassic Park movies has approached that one unbroken stretch in terms of scares, laughs, and overall filmmaking quality.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Also, I must say that the Velociraptors in The Lost World are the most incompetent dinosaurs in the series. I was thinking about that watching that final sequence on the island with them, even Jurassic Park III's raptors are a constant threat, but when these guys show up, it's only for a few minutes and they're so discombobulated. Glad that was in the Honest Trailer.

I really do enjoy the brief T-Rex chase in TLW but once it follows up with the Raptors it gets dumb fast, everything they do just seems off and they seem to hestitate movement a lot.

According to the official JW site, no.

Great post . I agree. The film didn't have a great script but it had good dialogue and one of the best directors ever with the ability to turn a mediocre script/ mediocre scenes into memorable moments on-screen.

Toxi

Banned
The T. rex attack is fantastic for many reasons, but I think the best part is that it's the part of the movie that treats the dinosaur most like a dangerous animal. The way the dinosaur is easily distracted, the way it tries to chew on the car like a carcass, the way it looks at the characters, you get the idea that the rex is just a big predator looking for food instead of some evil killer.

amnesiac

To 3D or not to 3D?

Really want to see it in IMAX, but the local IMAX is only showing it in 3D, so it's either that or the 2D on a small screen.

I can't remember if Spielberg said this, but someone was impressed with the characters in Safety Not Guaranteed. They thought Trevorrow would bring a good human element to a movie like this.

I think it was that they were impressed with the way trevorrow portrayed the skepticism with the time machine throughout the movie but then actually made it into some sort of block buster ending. That's what I remember reading anyways

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
After Destiny and Assassin's Creed Unity, I'm wary of anything that has a review embargo.

I predict somewhere between a 50 to 60% RT rating.

Toxi

Banned
Malcolm, Ellie, and Grant basically have no flaws and are right the entire time.
Malcolm is the most annoying part of both Jurassic Park the movie and Jurassic Park the book. It feels like 90% of the time he's there he's preaching about things in the most inane way because he was Michael Crichton's mouthpiece. "If the history of evolution has taught us anything" says the fucking mathematician. The only reason he's tolerable in the movie is because Jeff Goldblum's natural dorkiness makes the character a lot less serious with all those "uh"s and "ah"s.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
A lot of movies have review embargoes.

True, I remember Dragon Tattoo had one(and I liked that movie), but has there been a movie with a review embargo that ended this close to the release date that ended up good?(legit question)

Superflat

Please tell me this is shopped or a joke, if not that is the most dumb thing I've seen in awhile. Dinosaurs driving motorcycles? Uhm.

Please tell me what's so ridiculous about velociraptors on motorcycles. Grant himself said that they would be the dominant species of Earth instead of humans if they weren't wiped out. Who's to say they wouldn't have had raptormobiles, raptorcycles, and raptorgoogle in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom