• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
I came upon this while searching for Jurassic Park stuff.
rABwhw7.png

RPGCrazied

Please tell me what's so ridiculous about velociraptors on motorcycles. Grant himself said that they would be the dominant species of Earth instead of humans if they weren't wiped out. Who's to say they wouldn't have had raptormobiles, raptorcycles, and raptorgoogle in 2015.

Next thing you know you'll be agreeing with them talking or shooting machine guns. :p

They may be smart and cunning, but operating a vehicle I still think is kinda silly.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So my kid is addicted to jurassic park, so I've had to watch it a few times. I'm catching all sorts of weird stuff in it:
- What ever happened to Sam Jackson's character? He disappears after they restore power.

- How did Sam Neil and the kids make it all the way back to complex? That was a lot of distance to cover without a jeep. Especially after one gets sparked up.

I'm just glad someone finally had the balls to put dinosaurs on vehicles. And motorcycles are just the beginning. You know. Baby steps.

Gravidee

Next thing you know you'll be agreeing with them talking or shooting machine guns. :p

They may be smart and cunning, but operating a vehicle I still think is kinda silly.

Oh, but they do. After driving their cycles, the raptors fetch their commando gear and go all SWAT on the Indominus or anyone else who gets in their way.

So my kid is addicted to jurassic park, so I've had to watch it a few times. I'm catching all sorts of weird stuff in it:
- What ever happened to Sam Jackson's character? He disappears after they restore power.

- How did Sam Neil and the kids make it all the way back to complex? That was a lot of distance to cover without a jeep. Especially after one gets sparked up.

Did you miss Dr Sattler finding Sam Jackson's arm?

WillyFive

I like it quite a bit.

This is gonna sound like a slam, considering the quality of the movie that the score is attached to, but it's not: This is like a (much) better version of what Ottman did on Superman Returns.

It certainly doesn't sound like a slam; Ottman's work on Returns was fantastic, and the best Superman score since Williams' work.

I'd say the highlight of that film begins with Muldoon and Ellie going out to the shed, and Grant & the Kids approaching the fence. From there, straight to the kids getting rescued from the Kitchen. That whole stretch is just *ridiculous* in its pacing, and contains two all-time jumpscares to boot. People talk about the T-Rex attack, which is great, yes, but nothing in any of the Jurassic Park movies has approached that one unbroken stretch in terms of scares, laughs, and overall filmmaking quality.

I don't know why, but watching it through this weekend, I was really aware of when the film just locked me in. The trike is a solid lead-in to the Rex scene, but even the Rex breakout isn't presented with an overhanging sense of foreboding. I mean, we see the goat, but there are no sinister music cues. The kids are playing around, annoying Gennaro, Grant and Malcolm are shooting the shit/talking about Ellie...and then Tim notices the vibrations. From that moment until they escape the Rex is insanely taut and still pretty terrifying.

Same with the raptor escape, and I might agree that it is sustained for a longer period of time. I had forgotten about the discovery of the raptor cage being torn apart and how much of an "oh my GOD" moment that was.

Plus, that snake on the branch shot--so fucking good. Even if it really doesn't make much sense, considering what we know about dinos now, it felt like something Spielberg just had in his head and had to get out (in a good way).

Malcolm is the most annoying part of both Jurassic Park the movie and Jurassic Park the book. It feels like 90% of the time he's there he's preaching about things in the most inane way because he was Michael Crichton's mouthpiece. "If the history of evolution has taught us anything" says the fucking mathematician. The only reason he's tolerable in the movie is because Jeff Goldblum's natural dorkiness makes the character a lot less serious with all those "uh"s and "ah"s.

I'm not the most familiar with Crichton, but didn't he have a weird and somewhat contradictory anti-science bend to a lot of his work? Maybe not anti-science, but anti-genetic research? Hope I'm not confusing him with someone else...

Oh, and your other post re: the Rex. YES! That's exactly what I said in a thread earlier this week. The characters AND the audience feel completely at the mercy of this terrifyingly curious animal. The way it kinda plays with the fence, how it follows the flare with its head, the way it really just toys with and explore the jeep, not really understanding "what" is inside. It's fantastic, and one of the reasons I'm really excited for JW, as it treats the raptors as animals, not just hunting predators (which worked really well for JP, FWIW).

Please tell me this is shopped or a joke, if not that is the most dumb thing I've seen in awhile. Dinosaurs driving motorcycles? Uhm.

j2G7BJy.gif

Just finished screening of this. Terrible dialogue and plot. Last sequence is awesome but overall, no, just disappointing.

I heard the dialogue was pretty bad. When's the last time you saw The Lost World? I'm looking for a comparison to the horrible dialogue there.

What about the action/suspense sequences? I heard the last 20 mins are awesome, but in general, how was it?

Superflat

I heard the dialogue was pretty bad. When's the last time you saw The Lost World? I'm looking for a comparison to the horrible dialogue there.

What about the action/suspense sequences? I heard the last 20 mins are awesome, but in general, how was it?

If it's TLW status dialogue, I can take it. JP3 though, I will eject right out of there

It certainly doesn't sound like a slam; Ottman's work on Returns was fantastic, and the best Superman score since Williams' work.

I know some people conflate the quality of a film with the quality of its score, so I wanted to make sure that wasn't the case.

Ottman's score is probably the best thing to come out of that movie.

Kaladin

I want my five minutes back from reading that Jurassic Cinematic Universe post.

The Planet of the Apes crossover idea was cooler.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't see this topic too. Guess I'll hang out here till I can get to the spoiler thread.

So far, impressions have been kind of mixed it seems.

Superflat

Yeah, I definitely had some rose-colored glasses on when I used to think of TLW. It was panned as a pretty mediocre movie, if I recall.

Jurassic Park has had its share as well. Metacritic, while holding onto the few old sources it could considering it came out in '93, has a 68/100 score.

JP: 68/100 (user score 8.6)
TLW: 59/100 (user score 7.4)
JPIII: 42/100 (user score 6.3)

I looked at RT but I can't take it as a way to gauge the critical response when it came out because it's flooded with recent reviews.

1. I haven't seen Lost World in years so hard to compare dialogue. But I remember hating it. Majorly hating it. So probably pretty equal. No "gymnastics " scene though.

2. Answered below but the last 20 are pretty good. The rest are not as good (to me). I prefer the scenes of dinos chasing people who barely escape more than dinos just eating faceless military/park folks or park goers.

But is it better than TLW and JP3?
Well I'm a weirdo who enjoyed JP3 more than TLW, but as meh as this is, I think it is better than both. I think I was more frustrated at TLW because of what it should have been with that cast and crew. Didn't have high expectations for 3 or World so they didn't sting as much.

Can you give us a more detailed review? Please? :(
This isn't a spoiler thread and I just got home! I was still in the theater when I wrote that "review".

More details without spoilers:
- The "villains" are so obvious and the things they say are just so mind numbing, but I will give Vincent D some dap for hamming it up a bit. He did make the character at least a bit eccentric with rally REALLY boring dialogue. The doctor is a villain for no good reason. They have information "classified" for no good reason. Just...what?
- The kids are pretty boring/cliche until halfway through. Then they go from annoying to tolerable. But you're not really given a reason to like them like you were with the kids from the first movie. So you don't care about them too much.
- Bryce Dallas Howard's character is the only one who has some sort of an arc but none of it is believable. She goes from prissy to rugged in, like, one scene for a justification that isn't believable or earned. As in, she has given no indication that the impetus for her change would actually lead to that change. Oh and the romantic angle between her and Pratt is unbelievable. They should have gone for a Furiosa/Max relationship.
- Chris Pratt and Jake Johnson are good but it's because they are essentially playing themselves and they are likable people. Not really great dialogue for Pratt but he does what he can I guess. Johnson had some funny bits.
- If you heard the last twenty minutes are good it's because it is so much better than the rest of the film. The last sequence is pretty cool. The action scenes are just meh for the rest of it. No real stakes. Faceless people go in to fight dinosaurs, Dino's get upper hand, eat all people except the main actors. Just boring. It's too frenetic to know what's going on other than people dying and you don't care about them so why care?
- The big bad dinosaur is too OP and it just had one wrinkle of new power after another that is kinda lame. Maybe the film itself is some sort of meta commentary about film goers?
The people at the park are bored with regular dinosaurs so they made a super dinosaur. And they think film goers are the same way so they made the indominus Rex instead of a story with normal dinosaurs?

If it sounds like I'm down on it, it's because they bring back a franchise from the dead after ten plus years (I think?) and they didn't do anything interesting.

I don't think anything in there is too spoilers but if it is I'll spoiler tag it.
I also apologize if I ramble or am incoherent. I just got home, I am typing this on my phone and I'm not great at putting my thoughts together sometimes.

One final final thought: I was disappointed but my brother in law loved it and I think it will do boffo box office bucks.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Jurassic Park has had its share as well. Metacritic, while holding onto the few old sources it could considering it came out in '93, has a 68/100 score.

JP: 68/100 (user score 8.6)
TLW: 59/100 (user score 7.4)
JPIII: 42/100 (user score 6.3)

I looked at RT but I can't take it as a way to gauge the critical response when it came out because it's flooded with recent reviews.

ONLY a 68?! Sounds like it must be an awful movie!!

I don't think anything in there is too spoilers but if it is I'll spoiler tag it.
I also apologize if I ramble or am incoherent. I just got home, I am typing this on my phone and I'm not great at putting my thoughts together sometimes.

Bummer, but thank you for elaborating. Glad to hear it's at least better than TLW/JP3 :p

Jawmuncher

I came upon this while searching for Jurassic Park stuff.
rABwhw7.png

Even as a kid I always had trouble deciding who was cooler. Grant knew about the dinosaurs, but Malcolm had the cool factor going for him along with the black clothes. Even today I don't think I can choose one over the other even taking into account TLW and JP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom