• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcium

Banned
Welp, I'm going to see it again tonight. Debated whether or not to go all morning, but I just have to see that last act again.

Okay, so the movie is fucking awesome. Wow, I already want to see it again.

image.php

I really wanted to love it but I found it to be just OK in the end. I liked Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard but never really connected with the kids and found the story pretty incoherent. The dinosaurs' actions were pretty incomprehensible at times too. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more next time I watch it.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Heh :p

BoxOffice Mojo numbars:

Domestic: $82,800,000 38.9%
+ Foreign: $130,000,000 61.1%
= Worldwide: $212,800,000

For some reason they never tact on Thursday's number to the Thursday charts, but it's reflected in the JW totals above. Still, over $200 in just 2 days is niiiiiiceeee :)
(I know there's a whole topic on this too, but I just wanted to touch on it here with how well it did^^)

Decided to go for a second viewing Wednesday or Thursday in IMAX again. All IMAX screens and DBox enabled theaters have the film scheduled towards the end of this month, so I figured I might see it again in IMAX and give DBOX a go as well. Really liked it when I got out of the theater opening night, but I haven't been able to get it out of my head since haha.

Haven't seen a film in DBOX since The Amazing Spider-Man 2 so would be nice to do so again. Anybody seen the film in a DBOX-enabled theater?

Haven't been to the theater in years, should I go see this in 3d? If so, imax or real3d?

2d (or perhaps IMax). Saw it in Real3d and the 3d was minimal and not used to good effect.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was quite good and was impressed they didn't hold back on the gore (for a PG-13), but it wasn't gratuitous either (if you have younger family members). 7/10.

Grisby

I should have hated the climax for how over the top it was, but I actually liked it quite a bit.

The best thing about this movie is Collin gets that the Velociraptor is the most bad ass creation of cinema since the xenomorph and he gave them ample screen time and great set pieces to play on.
When they really get to stretch their legs in
the LOLbike scene
is some great stuff.

Big f'ing danger time sign every time they were on screen. They move so fast.

Daria

I don't really remember the first three in the series but I have an itching to go see this just because of nostalgia. The majority of this being GCI is like a sore thumb, I know it's there but I don't know if I want to pay attention to it. It's either this or Avengers, help me decide quick before tonight (4 hours or so). I really have no basis toward either franchise, I just want to see a good movie and JW has goddamn dinosaurs!!

The Rotten rating doesn't bother me much as it'll be pretty a toss up whether you'll like it or not but I'll take them all into consideration.

Struct09

I thought the movie was alright. Perhaps a little too heavy-handed at times, but this is coming off of Fury Road. It's definitely a fun summer popcorn movie.

RulkezX

Walked out the cinema 10 minutes ago with the biggest grin on my face.

Seemed to go down well with everyone, lots of happy faces on the way out.

chidrock

Trying to go in cold so I'm not reading the thread, but can someone tell me how this compares in terms of intensity to part 3? My son loved parts 1 and 2, but the beginning of part 3 was a bit too much for him with the plane and everyone dying. He's excited about this one because Starlord is in it, but I don't want a repeat of part 3.

Pastry

Banned
Trying to go in cold so I'm not reading the thread, but can someone tell me how this compares in terms of intensity to part 3? My son loved parts 1 and 2, but the beginning of part 3 was a bit too much for him with the plane and everyone dying. He's excited about this one because Starlord is in it, but I don't want a repeat of part 3.

I'd say in terms of intensity it's closer to 3 than 1&2. There's a decent amount of chomping going on.

KevinG

I think this one ups the intensity a bit with a few of the deaths.

I just don't understand why we need to have shitheel kids. The kids in the first movie were fine, they didn't need a
"redemption from being a stereotypical teenager" arc.

Also.
InGen storyline and Kingpin are entirely unnecessary and the movie would have been considerably better without a cheesy evil humans subplot.

I just don't understand why we need to have shitheel kids. The kids in the first movie were fine, they didn't need a
"redemption from being a stereotypical teenager" arc.
]

Agreed. I really liked the kids in the original. Found it hard to like them in JW, especially the older one.

After the first hour, i really really wanted to hate this movie, but after that became awesome and didn't stop. Not as good as JP1, better than 2 and 3.

Verger

Banned
I don't think there can be any movie made in the franchise that will ever "be better than Jurassic Park". The original just has too much grandeur and nostalgia (deserved) around it along with being the first of its kind that I don't think anyone could get around even if they do make a critically "amazing" JP film in the future.

Seems like a movie made by corporate
line in movie which seems the director poking fun of
It hit every cliche check box (
family movie: divorce looming. Check. Professional/business woman who finds love at the end. Check )
and nostalgia factor. Must be as easy script to write

It didn't do anything for me
What are the two famous dinosaurs in the franchise?
trex and raptor. Make them good guys

Edit: I did enjoy all the human deaths

I don't think there can be any movie made in the franchise that will ever "be better than Jurassic Park". The original just has too much grandeur and nostalgia (deserved) around it along with being the first of its kind that I don't think anyone could get around even if they do make a critically "amazing" JP film in the future.

Yes and this movie didn't try to be better. People worry too much about comparing. It's not a remake or something and did its own thing.

I would have rather spent more time with Owen and Claire than the kids. Their only purpose was to show the change in Claire's character from the start of the film to the end.

This movie was easily the most "monster movie" of the Jurassic Park films, and that's even beyond the use of the Indominus.
The pterosaur attack was nuts, the velociraptors are at their most destructive, the mosasaurus functions like little more than a monstrous garbage bin, and the T.rex does nothing but show up to kill another dinosaur in a fight scene that would make JPIII blush. The finale with the melee a trois between Indominus, the T.rex, and the raptor, plus the final appearance of the mosasaur, was just absurd nonsense. Exciting nonsense, but it felt more like a bunch of toys duking it out in a playset than an actual confrontation between animals.

I liked it for what it was--a dumb monster movie, better than TLW or JPIII, sure, but I hope they try at least a little to avoid sequel escalation in the inevitable next one and tone down the explosion filled monstrousness.

And I still can't get over the assistant lady's death scene. That was just unnecessarily drawn out, brutal, and cruel for such a neutral minor character.

It feels like a remake to me with fresh coat of paint. It followed the story beat of the first
kids get attack by mutated dinosaur = trex scene. Even when they were tracking the kids to the waterfall = is pulled from the first when they found out sam neil got the kids out. Final scene of going in doors felt like the climax of the first

So like Grant then?

You people need to stop and think with these complaints.

It wasn't my only complaint. The kids in JP actually felt crucial to the film. Looking back it wouldn't have been as good without them, I didn't feel that with JW.

No need to get funny because I didn't enjoy the film as much as you did. I wanted to love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom