• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVED IT.

I especially loved:
1. The training of the raptors. I was someone who laughed at the trailer, but it's demonstrated so well, from how it's done to how they respond or fail to.
2. The dinosaur communication. Dolphins and whales communicate, cool to see the raptors and science-rex do the same.
3. The dinosaur intellgience. If always captive whales can figure out there are birds beyond the pool and teach themselves throwing up and waiting at the bottom of the pool = chance to eat a live bird instead of dead fish, I accept that the dinosaur would also set a trap by clawing at the wall. I didn't at first. Now I do.
4. The park felt realized and great. Loved the holograms.

Did it have problems? Oh yeah. And as beautiful as the VFX were, I felt like 2/3rds of the time it didn't look like the dinosaurs were in the scene with the human, it felt like people and videogame graphics. Gorgeous work, but it just didn't blend for me. The darker scenes were most convincing, as the rule goes,

In any case, yes, Pratt isn't great playing stone-cold serious and his lines could be better, Bryce is cold, the little kid is annoying, but yes. Yes yes yes to this movie.

You're certainly not open enough to understand different perspectives tho lmao

Complainers about complainers are never productive in these discussions
The discussion at hand is just "but they're not lololl". I've explained my stance and now backed out with that comment because it's obviously going nowhere.

What does this even mean?

What are you doing right now?
Moving on because "but they're not" is not a discussion I feel like going back and forth with.

My five year old son would not stop saying "that was awesome. That was cool. It was cool AND awesome right daddy?" Huge grin on my face leaving that theater.

Also, saw so many people wearing JP shirts. Felt honored getting a "I like your shirt" from someone coming into the theater amongst the assumed sea of JP shirts.

Wu being
mad scientist
seemed weird. Wu in the first film didn't seem the type

He was in the book, he treated dinosaurs without an ounce of humility. He slapped software version number on each embryo he grew and if something went wrong he would tweak the code and increment the version number.

In the chapter Version 4.4 in the book he went to Hammond to say he could make the dinosaurs "better than life" by modifying behavior and such via the DNA and Hammond always slapped him down. He was fresh out of university looking to prove himself when Hammond hired him, with Hammond dead he was free to mess with DNA.

Just came back from see it. It was actually pretty good. I had doubts for this movie. Really was a good sequel. The kids were a bit annoying, the nostalgia hit me hard during certain parts, and
the final battle
, oh lord, just awesome.

Bernbaum

Alright, in my weekend afternoon 3D session. It's mostly families and kids. The premiere was old chumps like me after a nostalgia hit. Let's see how the next generation likes their first Jurassic Park on the big screen.

Just got back from my SECOND viewing. I'm a little drunk. Bare with me.

Still a 7.5/10 and still a lot of fun. The kid story still sucks, but sucks a little less on a second viewing mainly because I knew when to get up and use the bathroom. Chris Pratt still rules. So does everything the Indominus does, as well as the
T-Rex and Raptor tag team of destruction
. In terms of the ending
the Mosasaurus didn't deserve the honor of the kill shot. They should have let Rexy and Blue finish the job

I'm very happy it's making so much goddam money though. I love this franchise, even the ugly parts. Hopefully life finds a way to make Jurassic Park 5 have
Owen, Blue, Malcolm and Grant all team up to take down InGen or steal cars or do something awesome together.

I liked how they found a good excuse to
include the Spitter, without actually including real Spitters in the plot and complicating things further

Been listening to the soundtrack pretty much non-stop since the 9th.

I love the whole soundtrack but the sequence of tracks that fit the last act of the film are incredible.

Chasing Dragons
Raptor Your Heart Out (Love the callbacks to his work on The Lost World Videogame OST)
Costa Rican Standoff
Our Rex is Bigger Than Yours (TLW movie theme tease)
Growl and Make up

I am itching to watch the film again and again and again. The LONG 6+ months wait for bluray.

rezn0r

Unfortunately, there were scenes cut like the one where they smear shit on themselves.

Just saw it tonight, I'm not sure my thoughts on it yet though. I definitely agree that it's by far the best sequel.

But your post just reminded me my one complaint on the ride home was that it felt like they cut out a lot of things. Like scenes were stitched together, and you'd assume something was missing, even if it was just a few moments.

I had a great time though.

edit: Realizing how dumb it sounds to say "Just saw it tonight" on launch night.

Just got back from my second viewing within 24 hours.

I love this film so much.

I also realized it's a Christmas film. It's set on Christmas day.

Fun movie. Super ridiculous bullshit, as expected. I have a few points I didn't like:

1. The old park. I didn't like the fact that the old park was just left in shambles. And that there's never an explanation for why the whole thing wasn't just ripped up. Or utilized. It's the most blatant part of my second problem...

Jurassic World didn't open till 2005, that's 12 years for the jungle to reclaim what was left after the first film.

How do you rip up a park that has a wild T-Rex, Raptors, Dilophosaurs, Baryonyx and Herrerasaurs all running about?

They just fenced most of it off into the restricted zone.

There is a deleted scene from TLW where Ludlow is addressing the board where he says Jurassic Park had been dismantled but I don't know if it is/was still canon or not.

She's every dumb (and negative, tbh) career woman stereotype rolled into one utterly useless character. It's not only that she's a total idiot for 90% of the movie, who's uselessness is accentuated by standing right next to hyper-masculine, awesome badass Chris Pratt, but then her uselessness actively forces Chris Pratt to be even more awesome.

And, as I said in the spoiler thread, it was that relationship and, especially, the film's one gratuitous kill shot, which was so sadistic and wildly out of place, that left a bad taste in my mouth. Not even the many varying baddies in the film got a death so intricately and gleefully mapped out. That was bizarre.

It's not a sexist film—it would have to actually devote a modicum of thought and care to its characters for that to even be on the table—it's just needlessly tasteless and dumb.
She wasn't the only one acting like that though. Her boss was way dumb and useless as much as everyone else who worked under her.
Seriously, you just learned how to fly and you want to lead the soldiers on a helicopter assault with no battle experience? Was there no other experienced soldier that knew how fly?
They are useless cuz they merely profit off of the dinosaurs and act like Donald the lawyer from Jurassic Park.

But I see what your saying. Maybe they could have added a female soldier character to balance out Chris Pratt's man-beast machismo like an Ellie type character.
Them falling in love was forced.

Mayyhem

Wow. I went in with zero expectations (I was one of the ones saying this would be bad since they showed the first trailer) but I was blown away. This was such a fun movie. Perfect summer time popcorn flick

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from my second viewing within 24 hours.

I love this film so much.

I also realized it's a Christmas film. It's set on Christmas day.

I totally forgot about that! Well another to add to the Christmas movie pile :p Kind of like how many consider Die Hard one too. This one is just more tropical. And hot. Is Costa Rica far enough down to have Southern Hemisphere reverse seasons?

Jurassic World didn't open till 2005, that's 12 years for the jungle to reclaim what was left after the first film.

How do you rip up a park that has a wild T-Rex, Raptors, Dilophosaurs, Baryonyx and Herrerasaurs all running about?

They just fenced most of it off into the restricted zone.

There is a deleted scene from TLW where Ludlow is addressing the board where he says Jurassic Park had been dismantled but I don't know if it is/was still canon or not.

I feel like they should have said something about it in this movie, though. It just felt like it was sort of there

antonz

Also:

Phil Tippet.

Who the fuck rehired this clown?

YkJsry9.png

Watched all three back to back before watching this.

Was about as good as the Lost World. I'd go Jurassic Park > Lost World/Jurassic World > Jurassic Park III. Oddly enough, the Lost World - outside of the San Diego scene - doesn't come across as bad as my memory said it would. Jurassic Park III came across much, much worse.

The thing is, while this is a decent film it doesn't really share the same awe-inspiring and reverent tone as the original Jurassic Park. World is more of a monster movie with the dinosaurs. The rampant loss of life is almost an afterthought in this film, which will probably be carried forward into later films.

Not bad. Not great. Pretty good popcorn film though. Good direction for the overall franchise that will probably reap in great money.

I'm getting really tired of the overt sexualisation of characters on the big screen, especially with female leads often don't do much other than scream and fall over.

I LOVED IT.

I especially loved:
1. The training of the raptors. I was someone who laughed at the trailer, but it's demonstrated so well, from how it's done to how they respond or fail to.
2. The dinosaur communication. Dolphins and whales communicate, cool to see the raptors and science-rex do the same.
3. The dinosaur intellgience. If always captive whales can figure out there are birds beyond the pool and teach themselves throwing up and waiting at the bottom of the pool = chance to eat a live bird instead of dead fish, I accept that the dinosaur would also set a trap by clawing at the wall. I didn't at first. Now I do.
4. The park felt realized and great. Loved the holograms.

Did it have problems? Oh yeah. And as beautiful as the VFX were, I felt like 2/3rds of the time it didn't look like the dinosaurs were in the scene with the human, it felt like people and videogame graphics. Gorgeous work, but it just didn't blend for me. The darker scenes were most convincing, as the rule goes,

In any case, yes, Pratt isn't great playing stone-cold serious and his lines could be better, Bryce is cold, the little kid is annoying, but yes. Yes yes yes to this movie.

To be honest,
aside from clawing out his implant, there wasn't any real indication of high intelligence after that scene; he behaved like any other dinosaur.

bounchfx

I'm getting really tired of the overt sexualisation of characters on the big screen, especially with female leads often don't do much other than scream and fall over.

you should check out mad max

- - - -

saw JP tonight, was fun. A little better than I expected at first, but seems to line up with the reviews. It was fun, a bit of a spectacle, nothing amazing but totally worth seeing.

Pejo

Just saw this movie, it was ok. Lots of stupidity and poor plot but it's a movie about dinosaurs so whatever. Visual FX weren't great, but the last scene was fun enough (in a stupid way). Pratt was almost completely unmemorable, you could have replaced him with "Ripped shirt guy B" and it would have had the same impact, which is a shame because I like him as an actor.

Also it was a big mistake to see this movie in the drive-in on release weekend. The pot smoke and noisy kids and headlights just made it a crappy experience overall. All said and done, i'd probably put it slightly ahead of 2 and 3. At least there was a lot of dinosaur action in this one.

Orbis

Loved it. I find a lot of the main criticisms are relatively minor, and the ones I agree with didn't ruin the film for me. I honestly enjoyed this far more than Age of Ultron which definitely surprised me.

The trailers really didn't do this justice though, I was very wary about going to see it beforehand.

chiimisu

Okay, so all this hype finally convinced me. I booked IMAX tickets for tomorrow morning!
Will watch the first one for the first time today evening! I'm kind of hyped myself too for the both of them.

Oh, and man, 70% of tickets are already gone. 10 AM tickets. I think I've grabbed the last decent one. And this isn't even US, it's freaking RUSSIA. The thirst is real!

jey_16

Banned
Loved it. I find a lot of the main criticisms are relatively minor, and the ones I agree with didn't ruin the film for me. I honestly enjoyed this far more than Age of Ultron which definitely surprised me.

The trailers really didn't do this justice though, I was very wary about going to see it beforehand.

agreed with enjoying it much more then Avengers. There was something about this that just felt good, Avengers seemed like the same stuff rehashed all over again.

Bernbaum

Watching this with at a screening consisting mostly of families - the audience was much more tense and the jump scare moments got bigger responses. The kids near me were jumping at all the raptor moments.

The premiere screening with an older audience had a much more 'celebratory' vibe.

The biggest laugh came from the 'can we stay with you, no we mean him' from the kids, which I thought was goofy back when the TV spots were pouring out.

It wasn't control. It was communicating with the raptors and they saw it as an Alpha

It was pretty clear that she viewed it as control, which is why Blue ultimately went back to Owen. And even without that, she figured out that a) the dinosaurs were her kind b) they were following the humans and that wasn't natural.

Also, a thought:

The Jurassic World trilogy, I think, could potentially follow the same exact archetype of the Jurassic Park trilogy:

Great first film, great second film that comes out only good due to director fatigue, shitty third film.

Man if Hasbro didn't shit up the toyline and it was like 1,2 & 3's(with Human character figures)
I'd probably be buying everything after that movie.

As is though I have only bought the RC Jurassic Park 1 Jeep by Jada.
I do kinda want to buy Lego sets and build Jurassic World.

I feel like I'm heartless because I didn't feel like that one part was anything worse than all the others.

It was pretty clear that she viewed it as control, which is why Blue ultimately went back to Owen. And even without that, she figured out that a) the dinosaurs were her kind b) they were following the humans and that wasn't natural.

I personally read that as dolphin or wolf style communication. They show them sounding off to each other and the raptors have a look of confusion or realization, it wasn't some sort of instant control like turnaround.

To be honest,
aside from clawing out his implant, there wasn't any real indication of high intelligence after that scene; he behaved like any other dinosaur.

Maybe aside from communication (which was a cool contrast from how t-rex behaves on a rampage) they didn't take more advantage of the high intelligence, you're right. But by the time she's free, she's over stimulated/ hungry to hunt/ figuring out how strong she is/ potentially Cloverfield-style scared, so I can accept that she'd behave on reflex/instinct at that point.

The trap was the most impressive thing to me. It reminded me of whales' scheming, which I have a fascination with.

Missed opportunity though, as with the entire romance plot, not making the little kid an annoying encyclopedia, etc. Not perfect. But so good.

Salz01

Man, this movie was awesome can't believe how much I liked it. Actually what I wanted to see in a sequel that put a bonafide park on the island. The older kid was total dork, they could have written him a bit better, or maybe the 'actor' just sucks. Think the main actress running around in heals the whole time is funny, but I kind of liked it and she grew on me. It just goes along with the craziness of an island with trained raptors, gene spliced Dino's. The last 20 mins though.... Epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom