• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

I'd out with paying the extra money for imax?

Do you mean "is it worth" paying the extra?

I think it's worth seeing the big panoramic sweeps of the park on a massive screen, moreso than the dinosaur action. There's an incredible amount of detail in the overhead shots of the park.

Does 3D have a tighter frame of view than 2? I swear the 2D screening was wider. In the scene where the kids are un the gyrosphere and are arguing about going offroad - I could clearly make out the two parasaurolophus in the background fighting, but in 3D it looked cropped.

I really don't think 3D added anything, apart from the 3D viewfinder right at the beginning - I had that effect same set of dinosaur slides as a kid!

Do you mean "is it worth" paying the extra?

I think it's worth seeing the big panoramic sweeps of the park on a massive screen, moreso than the dinosaur action. There's an incredible amount of detail in the overhead shots of the park.

Does 3D have a tighter frame of view than 2? I swear the 2D screening was wider. In the scene where the kids are un the gyrosphere and are arguing about going offroad - I could clearly make out the two parasaurolophus in the background fighting, but in 3D it looked cropped.

I really don't think 3D added anything, apart from the 3D viewfinder right at the beginning - I had that effect same set of dinosaur slides as a kid!

Yeah, sorry my phone autocorrect. I don't care for 3D but that's all IMAX has by me. I was hoping the IMAX would be nice for it though.

Bernbaum

Yeah, sorry my phone autocorrect. I don't care for 3D but that's all IMAX has by me. I was hoping the IMAX would be nice for it though.

IMAX 2D is the superior option. I think there are really only three films this year that are must-see on IMAX - Jurassic World, Mad Max Fury Road, and Star Wars later this year.

I would have been just as disenchanted with Age of Ultron regardless of whatever format it was in.

Blader

IMAX 2D is the superior option. I think there are really only three films this year that are must-see on IMAX - Jurassic World, Mad Max Fury Road, and Star Wars later this year.

I would have been just as disenchanted with Age of Ultron regardless of whatever format it was in.
JW wasn't shot with IMAX cameras though, was it?

RoyalFool

Banned
Just got back, loved it - lowered my expectations due to some of the early negative reviews but in retrospect I don't know what the hell they were moaning about.

My only concerns about the plot from the trailers were addressed quite early on in the film, like it being stupid making a "new" dinosaur as a tourist attraction.

Had some funny parts, had lots of dinosaurs being dinosaurs and a hot woman running around hot and sweaty. I also felt the nods to the original movie were well handled and respectful.

Lights didn't go up in the cinema during the credits, did I miss anything post-credits?

So at my theater right before
the kids got to the old visitor center
someone dropped a glass beer bottle, spilled on a dude in front of him, and then the people from both parties broke out into a brawl.They stopped the movie a twice (once initially and again for the cops), great time for a bathroom break I guess. Got a glimpse of the guys face who looked like he got smacked real good with the glass bottle.

They rewinded the movie a good bit and got to see the bronto suffer a slow death once more which felt more impactful the second time, as well as the anklosaurus (that's what they're called right?) scene which was one of my favorites outside the Rex fight.

Edit: sorry thought I was in spoiler thread

BowieZ

Banned
7 billion people on this planet, and a $150 million budget, and that is the best they can do for script and acting?

Seriously, the older kid somehow was the best actor in this movie. And he was not very good, and the character worse.

Apart from that, though, and the fact the laughably bizarre romance-esque shots of interspecies wistful forlorning kept breaking my immersion, I really enjoyed it.

But seriously, at some point this extreme studio interference in the creative process has to stop. It's gotten so much worse in the last 15 years.

Fuchsdh

7 billion people on this planet, and a $150 million budget, and that is the best they can do for script and acting?

Seriously, the older kid somehow was the best actor in this movie. And he was not very good, and the character worse.

Apart from that, though, and the fact the laughably bizarre romance-esque shots of interspecies wistful forlorning kept breaking my immersion, I really enjoyed it.

But seriously, at some point this extreme studio interference in the creative process has to stop. It's gotten so much worse in the last 15 years.

Source?

I'm going to see this later today. Looking forward to it!

It'd be cool if a future sequel brought back Old Man Malcolm and Old Man Grant and teamed them up with Star-Lord and the Raptor Squad to deal with Umbra- Weiland Yut- InGen.

BowieZ

Banned
It's a hunch. Based on popcorn flicks getting shittier and shittier in the last 15 years, crammed with as much disjointed crap (jokes! special fx! romance! evil plots!) as possible to see what sticks. IMHO these sorts of movies in the past, while dumb in overall premise, were still lovingly crafted, maybe hit or miss, unafraid to take risks. Now everything is so much more so cold and calculated.

Was it just me or does Trevorrow even hint at how his hands were tied with various references to the original park being so good, and how now it's all focus group driven...

It's a hunch. Based on popcorn flicks getting shittier and shittier in the last 15 years, crammed with as much disjointed crap (jokes! special fx! romance! evil plots!) as possible to see what sticks. IMHO these sorts of movies in the past, while dumb in overall premise, were still lovingly crafted, maybe hit or miss, unafraid to take risks. Now everything is so much more so cold and calculated.

Was it just me or does Trevorrow even hint at how his hands were tied with various references to the original park being so good, and how now it's all focus group driven...
That's Trevorrow mocking these types of films.

My thinking is this movie sacrificed itself to hopefully get better dinosaur material going forward.

Bad hunch.

Pretty good hunch tbh. Jaws would never be made today, the terminator movies, alien etc hell Id argue you can't even get something like a raimi spiderman movie today

Now the only new directors who get a shot at these big movies are flunkies who are getting their reins pulled at every turn

Hell, so many people are shocked that something like fury road got made in 2015. Tbh I think it's because WB prolly forgot about it while miller cooked it in the lab lol

Loved it. I find a lot of the main criticisms are relatively minor, and the ones I agree with didn't ruin the film for me. I honestly enjoyed this far more than Age of Ultron which definitely surprised me.

The trailers really didn't do this justice though, I was very wary about going to see it beforehand.

Yeah I liked it a lot more than Avengers too. My brain has already started the process of forgetting AOU.

So far:

Mad Max

JPW

Avengers

Pretty good hunch tbh. Jaws would never be made today, the terminator movies, alien etc hell Id argue you can't even get something like a raimi spiderman movie today

Now the only new directors who get a shot at these big movies are flunkies who are getting their reins pulled at every turn

Hell, so many people are shocked that something like fury road got made in 2015. Tbh I think it's because WB prolly forgot about it while miller cooked it in the lab lol

Fury Road feels like I took the red pill and remembered how amazing a blockbuster could be.

Bullshit. Good movies being made constantly. Really good movies.

This is the same summer that Fury Road came out, yunno?

chiimisu

I actually kind of agree with Nostalgia Critic here.

The director said he won't do the movie unless he had a hand in the script and Spielberg let it cook longer so Colin could make what he wanted. It's not about control. It's about respect.

This fake cranky old-man shit is tiresome. People not even old enough to have "good old days" trying to act like the same corporate entertainment complex that gave them all their childhood memories in the first place has irrevocably, uncrecognizably shifted to some wildly different animal between then and now.

Even if I entertain the idea that there was stuff from then that "wouldn't get made now", that door swings both ways: There's amazing shit being made now that absolutely couldn't have been made then.

I'm just saying instead of trevorrow, and whatever middle of the mall directors marvel and dc is picking for their movies now imagine if the reins to these big franchises were given to the likes of edgar wright for example

Then we'd be getting some potential fury roads every year rather than the average stuff we see yearly. Big reason why I'm hyped for rian Johnson star wars, hoping disney backs off of him

In summary: fuck teh suits

agree to disagree bobby, I just look at my favorite blockbusters of all time and a very small amount of them are post 00-s. It's not nostalgia either moreso than just my tastes changing, and finding that whenever I revisit these only the really great ones hold up imo.

This fake cranky old-man shit is tiresome. People not even old enough to have "good old days" trying to act like the same corporate entertainment complex that gave them all their childhood memories in the first place has irrevocably, uncrecognizably shifted to some wildly different animal between then and now.

Even if I entertain the idea that there was stuff from then that "wouldn't get made now", that door swings both ways: There's amazing shit being made now that absolutely couldn't have been made then.

My man.
Couldn't agree more bro. This era of armchair critics has become insufferable. That said though I agree with Disco that the vast majority of my favorite movies are before the 00's. However, I don't think it's a problem with the suits and more creative bankruptcy. That said some of my favorite of all time have come out against all odds:

TLOTR
Dark Knight
Mad Max

I'm just saying instead of trevorrow, and whatever middle of the mall directors marvel and dc is picking for their movies now imagine if the reins to these big franchises were given to the likes of edgar wright for example

Then we'd be getting some potential fury roads every year rather than the average stuff we see yearly. Big reason why I'm hyped for rian Johnson star wars, hoping disney backs off of him

In summary: fuck teh suits

agree to disagree bobby, I just look at my favorite blockbusters of all time and a very small amount of them are post 00-s. It's not nostalgia either moreso than just my tastes changing, and finding that whenever I revisit these only the really great ones hold up imo.

People are always quick to jump on getting cool directors for movie franchises. I hate when that happens. As good as any of these franchises might be, they are never going to be as good (or interesting if they have a miss) as original projects from people like Edgar Wright (or who ever your favorite director is). I'd rather they put mediocre directors on the franchises and have the control of these films be left up to the Producer. And the other part of it is these require so much time from the director. And the amount of energy is absurdly high. These franchises suck the life out of otherwise good directors. It's too much to get movies that are only going to be good at best.

I think you can look at Mad Max for proof. That is George Miller's baby, and I guarantee if he made that Justice League movie, there is no way in hell Fury Road would've been the movie we got. And I couldn't be happier that Edgar Wright didn't do Ant-Man, I just wish he quit that project sooner.

I'm so confused about inGen. I thought the park was being operated by Masrani Global. So why is inGen able to take over the park so easily? Like it seems Masrani and Hoskins never even worked together. I thought inGen went bankrupt after San Diego. Also why is the genetic makeup of the dinosaurs secret from even the owner of the damn lab?

I'm so confused about inGen. I thought the park was being operated by Masrani Global. So why is inGen able to take over the park so easily? Like it seems Masrani and Hoskins never even worked together. I thought inGen went bankrupt after San Diego. Also why is the genetic makeup of the dinosaurs secret from even the owner of the damn lab?

From what I gather:

Masrani bought out inGen for cheap after the Sand Diego incident. He shared Hammond's vision and did everything to make it happen but he's not a scientist, he just checks in to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Hoskins was just looking to exploit shit for money, I guess.

WTF, why do I want see this again? I hated the climax, but I can't take this movie off my head. WHAT IS GOING ON????

I should have hated the climax for how over the top it was, but I actually liked it quite a bit.

The best thing about this movie is Collin gets that the Velociraptor is the most bad ass creation of cinema since the xenomorph and he gave them ample screen time and great set pieces to play on.

Fuchsdh

Studio control, meddling, directors complaining that they're hamstrung—those are critiques older than sound in film.

The most you could say is that blockbusters have to have a larger audience pool in terms of global audiences than they used to, but people are people and Chinese guys go apeshit for explosions just as much as Americans.

It's the same tired nonsense of people layering over the old films they watched as a kid with gooey nostalgia that fossilizes those films in their mind as forever good and unimpeachable.

You liked it.

I feel like the Schrödinger's cat.

I should have hated the climax for how over the top it was, but I actually liked it quite a bit.

The best thing about this movie is Collin gets that the Velociraptor is the most bad ass creation of cinema since the xenomorph and he gave them ample screen time and great set pieces to play on.

I actually had no problem either with the raptors in this movie. They were really great and I'm in for the idea of trained dinosaurs the way they done this in this movie.

Sean

Banned
I don't get the hate for the kids storyline. I'm usually the first one to complain about shitty intolerable kid storylines but I thought the kids were just fine in this movie.

The younger one did a great job of selling that child-like wonder, excited to explore the park and all the rides, running to the front of the monorail to get the best view, tip-toeing and jumping up and down to see over taller people. The older brother I wasn't digging as much at first, but it was kinda cool to see him start off as a completely uninterested babysitter who didn't wanna be there and then started to come around after being impressed by things like the Mosasaurus show.

They weren't the typical angry rebellious teens usually portrayed in films, there wasn't a stupid forced romance plot (imagine if the older kids girlfriend went on the trip too), the younger brother wasn't getting picked on and teased, and they didn't do stupid shit for the most part. Only dumb move the kids made was not
immediately turning the gyrosphere around
. After that they instantly redeemed themselves though by
escaping, jumping off the cliff, and repairing the jeep to make a getaway.
Even Pratt's badass alpha male character was impressed by what the kids did.

I can understand liking the adult storyline more or whatever, but I don't understand where the hate for the kids is coming from.

Falchion

Saw it in IMAX 3D last night and it was sooooo much better than I thought! Absolutely loved it, felt like I was in a ride.

Movie was a blast, tons of fun. Really like the pacing, great casting too. Went to a super early IMAX show still about 75% full. And every other show was sold out hours before showtime.

FafaFooey

I can't help but think that if the whole raptor motorcycle scene wasn't spoiled in the trailers, it would've had a much bigger impact. But holy shit even still, I CAN'T GET THE SCENE OUT OF MY HEAD. Tomorrow will be the first time in my 22 years of going to the movies that I will see a movie twice in theatres.

I don't get the hate for the kids storyline. I'm usually the first one to complain about shitty intolerable kid storylines but I thought the kids were just fine in this movie.

The younger one did a great job of selling that child-like wonder, excited to explore the park and all the rides, running to the front of the monorail to get the best view, tip-toeing and jumping up and down to see over taller people. The older brother I wasn't digging as much at first, but it was kinda cool to see him start off as a completely uninterested babysitter who didn't wanna be there and then started to come around after being impressed by things like the Mosasaurus show.

They weren't the typical angry rebellious teens usually portrayed in films, there wasn't a stupid forced romance plot (imagine if the older kids girlfriend went on the trip too), the younger brother wasn't getting picked on and teased, and they didn't do stupid shit for the most part. Only dumb move the kids made was not
immediately turning the gyrosphere around
. After that they instantly redeemed themselves though by
escaping, jumping off the cliff, and repairing the jeep to make a getaway.
Even Pratt's badass alpha male character was impressed by what the kids did.

I can understand liking the adult storyline more or whatever, but I don't understand where the hate for the kids is coming from.

Agree 100%

They were much smarter and more capable than most kids in these types of movies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just saw it last night.

This movie, when looking at it carefully, is just a hot mess complete with some very stupid writing and characters. This is supposed to represent a lot of things I find wrong with some sequels these days. Even more problematic is how i found this waaaayyyyy out there than the other JP films in terms of tone and relative grounded-ness for a JP film.

And yet...

I came out of that theatre with the biggest shit-eating grin on my face. It somehow was also a legitimately fun Jurassic sequel. As it ridiculous as it is, boy did this film entertain especially with that last half hour.

I'd say it's 7/10 for me, and I was actually ready to write it off as a 5 or 6 during the first 40 minutes. My recommendation to anyone who hasn't seen it yet is to not expect a worthy sequel to JP, but more like fanservice for the dinosaur loving kid at heart.

They weren't the typical angry rebellious teens usually portrayed in films...

Personality wise, I feel like they were so stale. "I'm young and this dinosaur has 88 teeth! That one mates by the water! This one is known to eat 66 pounds of food per day!" Goodness, stop being so annoying with facts, kid. I doubt most kids there know one fact about Dinosaurs and I would have preferred to have followed them.

And the other one has to be too cool for family or school. They were designed to be annoying so that in the end they could develop into not being annoying, and they were simply annoying to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom