• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there's going to be surprises and seeing stuff in commercials is never on par with seeing the entire sequences play out in context, but flat out showing the girl the pteranodon picks up and dropping her into the Mosasaur tank is way much. Way much. Now I'm not going to be like HOLY SHIT IT DROPPED HER INTO THE FUCKING MOSASAUR TANK DAMMNNN

It's certainly my choice to watch these, but I shouldn't have to worry about spoilers in fucking commercials.

why not? seeing it now vs. seeing it in a few weeks, why is your reaction any different?

How on earth is knowing everything before seeing a movie good? It completely goes against the creativity of writers and the less you're surprised about while watching the first time, the lesser of an impact there is. I don't see how this is refutable.

I'm mainly still posting in this thread because it's where all the news and info is being posted, and I like to see new stuff but I don't want shit like death scenes spelled out for me before I have a chance to react at the theater.

The death scenes in Jurassic Park movies have always been a huge highlight. This can be and has been marketed without going to this extent. Sure you can make assumptions by piecing stuff together, but actually seeing the pteranodon drop her from a great height into the tank and seeing her go into the water is going now take away some of the gravitas that scene would have had.

It's supposedly over two hours long. There's nothing else they can pull from? And we've already gotten several commercials and trailers already. They need to dial it back.

You overestimate how much people pay attention or are exposed to these things. The average person isn't connecting dots between trailers/clips/teasers like people in this thread and thus don't feel any overload.

I don't mean literally everything but more so individual pieces that have a strong magnet effect. They showed off the I-Rex too much to begin with so that's pretty much gone now.

I am still hoping we actually haven't seen much of the I-Rex. I pray they don't spoil its
ability to camouflage its skin.

Do we know if the Raptor squad is going to be going bad? The latest trailer seemed to hint at that, but I was really hoping they would be bros the whole movie.

It seems like SOMETHING goes wrong, but note that the raptor is attacking one of the security contractors. Given Hoskins bio on the LEGO site, those guys aren't necessarily "good".

It seems like SOMETHING goes wrong, but note that the raptor is attacking one of the security contractors. Given Hoskins bio on the LEGO site, those guys aren't necessarily "good".

Well, you don't hire Vincent D'Onofrio to play a good guy. They've been talking up that character as being a villain for quite some time. I imagine that whatever surrounds his role and his actions may hint toward what the sequels will be about.

Ingen has always tried to hijack Jurassic Park.

Razmos

I think the line has been drawn for me now as far as spoilers go after finding out
the woman dropped in the Mosasaur tank is a named character and not just an extra.
That's the kind of thing I'd rather see in the actual film, and is probably enough to stop me looking at any further spoilers.

SoldnerKei

now that's an interesting point, nevertheless I would like to see the raptors turning against owen, it would emphasize how his speech about "is a respect relationship" with the raptors would come around and bite him in the ass

as for the lady dropped on the mosasaur tank, yikes! the whole scene will be pretty frightening to watch

Lazerbox

1795523_10204298316639912_3951038517119286708_n.jpg

Toxi

Banned
Soooo, on the flip side of the movie's themes, is anyone worried this movie could potentially be interpreted as anti-stem cell or equivalent? I just listened to the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast for Deep Blue Sea and I never even considered the "you're not God, don't pretend to be God, if you try to be God, you will be eaten by genetically-modified sharks" theme of that (awful awful) movie.

Or am I just TOO day drunk for a Sunday right now?
Jurassic Park's always been like that. For a science fiction writer, Michael Crichton was very paranoid about science. Sphere is like the ultimate encapsulation of that paranoia.

bengraven

That is fucked. I'm not sure if it's as cringey as Eddie getting ripped in half but it's up there.

Yeah, there's something about a person being in a creature with no hope of survival, but still alive that creeps me right the fuck out.

There's a scene in the second book of the Temeraire series where these sea serpents are attacking a harbor. One of the flyers looks down and as a serpent is opening it's mouth they see a sailor, stuck in it's throat. The sailor is like "help...me!" just before the creature closes it's mouth and goes back under water.

Shivers when I read that.

Raptor

With Redbox it's mostly just an illusion. Sure, you get physical discs and whatnot, but the selection is poor compared to Blockbuster and you just browse at an interface. With Blockbuster it was like wandering into a haven full of endless possibilities for entertainment. Really quite wonderful. They had movies, videogames, and at mine even a gumball machine. It moved, motorized of course... but people would walk in there and be able to browse rows and rows of films. The kids would say "mommy should we rent this, daddy should we rent that?" But with Redbox, they stripped away that magic in favor of something that feels more like an illusion. Blockbuster was real, a place where you could browse, and touch. And that's not devoid of merit.

I still rent on Blockbuster, baby!!

:D

I think getting ripped in half is worst than getting eated whole, sucks both ways thou, poor Eddie :c

I thought about it some more and I think this is definitely more horrifying, at least ideally. Getting ripped in half would momentarily suck, but getting swallowed whole... you have time to think, well, I'm being swallowed by a massive creature, I'm drowning, I'm going through intestines, and all that comes with that. So I think I'd rather be ripped in half by two Rexes than go through that... experience.

The idea of getting ripped in half is horrifying, but so is this. It's why I think I would rather go through some grueling experience instead of falling out of an airplane or something like that. I'm irrationally terrified of heights and I cringe hard when people in movies fall from great heights. It's the mentality. The girl that falls at the beginning of Cliffhanger is fucking nightmare fuel to me and I can barely stand to watch it, as her grip slowly slips as she heads toward the inevitable.

So for me I think that's why this may be the most fucked up death in a Jurassic Park movie to date.

edit: damn it I'm starting to think my Blockbuster/Redbox post escaped some people :p

Aren't those teeth on the roof of it's mouth? it looks like she won't be going down there alive.

It has teeth for sure but don't these things usually just swallow? When it chomps on the pteranodon it could crush her but it's still possible that she's going down alive, even just briefly. Still, being picked up by a pteranodon, dropped from a great height into a tank with a Mosasaur, and then being devoured is like... yeah no thanks. It's like a series of fuck this.

Razmos

It has teeth for sure but don't these things usually just swallow? When it chomps on the pteranodon it could crush her but it's still possible that she's going down alive, even just briefly. Still, being picked up by a pteranodon, dropped from a great height into a tank with a Mosasaur, and then being devoured is like... yeah no thanks. It's like a series of fuck this.
It's definitely a horrible way to go, the worst I've seen in the series.

SoldnerKei

I thought about it some more and I think this is definitely more horrifying, at least ideally. Getting ripped in half would momentarily suck, but getting swallowed whole... you have time to think, well, I'm being swallowed by a massive creature, I'm drowning, I'm going through intestines, and all that comes with that. So I think I'd rather be ripped in half by two Rexes than go through that... experience.

So for me I think that's why this may be the most fucked up death in a Jurassic Park movie to date.

well, now you gave the creeps with that detailed description xD I was going more for the "what would hurt more" type of death, one of the reasons why I find the procompsognathus kill quite terrifying, getting those multiple little bites on your flesh, while you're getting numb as the time goes on, thou it's pretty much like you stated with the mosasaur, a prolonged death where you can't do anything but watch D:

Getting ripped in half would hurt more but I think I'd rather go through that intense pain but be dead quickly afterwards than the experience of being swallowed alive.

Also, on an unrelated note I was thinking about how they sorta dropped the ball with something really simple: the logo. It's not bad, but I liked how JP3's logo replaced the Rex with the Spino as that was the featured dinosaur in the movie, and I think the Jurassic World logo should have been of the Indominus skeleton. I actually found what I guess is a fanmade or other marketing image:

Razmos

Getting ripped in half would hurt more but I think I'd rather go through that intense pain but be dead quickly afterwards than the experience of being swallowed alive.

Also, on an unrelated note I was thinking about how they sorta dropped the ball with something really simple: the logo. It's not bad, but I liked how JP3's logo replaced the Rex with the Spino as that was the featured dinosaur in the movie, and I think the Jurassic World logo should have been of the Indominus skeleton. I actually found what I guess is a fanmade or other marketing image:
Yeah I completely agree, and that logo is damn good.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So I was just thinking, didn't Joss Whedon make a comment recently on how JW was sexist or something? (Before he deleted his Twitter account). Really though, JW and the series should be the LEAST sexist of any movie. That big bad rex from the original? Female. All those cut-throat raptors? Also female. Indominus rex? A lady dino.

Most of the cast have been females all along, and frightening killers.

What if when you actually watch the movie as it opens up with the logo the T-Rex transitions into an I-Rex?

Well, I don't think we'll see the full logo at the beginning. They've always just been the text.

So I was just thinking, didn't Joss Whedon make a comment recently on how JW was sexist or something? (Before he deleted his Twitter account). Really though, JW and the series should be the LEAST sexist of any movie. That big bad rex from the original? Female. All those cut-throat raptors? Also female. Indominus rex? A lady dino.

He took a scene that was admittedly well out of context that shouldn't have been shown in marketing and jumped to conclusions. The scene isn't sexist, and he later apologized for it before deleting Twitter saying it wasn't his place to say it and that he's excited for the movie.

He took a scene that was admittedly well out of context that shouldn't have been shown in marketing and jumped to conclusions. The scene isn't sexist, and he later apologized for it before deleting Twitter saying it wasn't his place to say it and that he's excited for the movie.

Yup. While that scene, isolated, looks like it's playing into an age old "lively rogue vs cold bitch" trope, we don't really know the context of the characters and their relationship.

It would be like, say, promoting Black Widow in AoU by ONLY releasing the clips where she talks about wanting a relationship, etc. Clearly not the only aspect of her character, but you might not know that if that clip is all you saw.

Bernbaum

Oh come on. This is nothing new. That being said, I wouldn't walk under any ladders today if I were you.
Not a criticism. I legitimately don't know if its a a good sign or not, because the heavy amount of released material can be interpreted either way. Why the personal attack?

Not a criticism. I legitimately don't know if its a a good sign or not, because the heavy amount of released material can be interpreted either way. Why the personal attack?

I think there are still a lot of surprises we haven't seen. I mean, there is one particular aspect of the I-Rex that hasn't even been teased or hinted at in any of the trailers, although it's fairly obvious if you compare the toys to the trailers.

It would be like, say, promoting Black Widow in AoU by ONLY releasing the clips where she talks about wanting a relationship, etc. Clearly not the only aspect of her character, but you might not know that if that clip is all you saw.

The thing is, the clip doesn't demonstrate Claire as a "bitch." She's pretty cold toward the dinosaurs and sees them as "assets" because that's her job, but other scenes have been shown that puts her in a powerful context, like her holding the flare clearly trying to get something's attention. While she may seem stiff in that clip, she's discussing business with Owen, but where they had a failed relationship he couldn't help taking a couple of digs at her, which she obviously found playful. Had she looked pissed off or something that might be one thing, but where she smirks and rolls her eyes, it's evident that she can take his jokes and has before.

When you know someone and know how they tick, there's some loosening up and you can pretty much say anything and the other person will know you're kidding. My friends for example are very much guilty of this and we usually greet each other like "sup bitch" or something but we're not being assholes. That's what was happening very clearly in that clip, just two people that know each other and can take potshots. Had Owen never met Claire prior to the clip and it was just him trying to hit on her in a sexist way that would be one thing, but they have a prior relationship. This example is what I mean when I say that some people try way too hard to look for sexism in everything.

It wasn't a good choice to release the clip as they should be releasing clips that better represent the film, but it's not sexist and by the end of the film Claire will be seen as a hero.

Not a personal attack, but in hindsight I can see why you would take my wording as such so I'll apologize for the confusion. I think all that's going on is your typical case of shitty marketing to be honest.

Bernbaum

I think there are still a lot of surprises we haven't seen. I mean, there is one particular aspect of the I-Rex that hasn't even been teased or hinted at in any of the trailers, although it's fairly obvious if you compare the toys to the trailers.
You mean the difference in skin colour? A lot of people are looking forward to 'that' aspect of I.Rex more than anything. It's dorky - but that was my chief disappointment with The Lost World when I watched it in the 90's. I went into the theatre buzzed for Carnotaurus from having read the book and really wanted to see it in a JP film.

You mean the difference in skin colour? A lot of people are looking forward to 'that' aspect of I.Rex more than anything. It's dorky - but that was my chief disappointment with The Lost World when I watched it in the 90's. I went into the theatre buzzed for Carnotaurus from having read the book and really wanted to see it in a JP film.

Yup. I recall reading those pages and being genuinely creeped out. I hope we get something good here.

It wasn't a good choice to release the clip as they should be releasing clips that better represent the film, but it's not sexist and by the end of the film Claire will be seen as a hero.

Good points. Uuugh I want this movie now.

Good points. Uuugh I want this movie now.

Trevorrow said that by the end of the movie she morphs into an Ellen Ripley style badass, which sounds awesome and Bryce sounded ecstatic about it. If anything the movie may give us another cool female movie heroine. In fact when I saw the teaser, the shot of the doors opening while she's holding the flare gave me an ALIENS vibe immediately.

Well, I can't say for certain, but I don't think I am going to watch anymore footage. I mean, I know a lot.. but I don't want to see it all beforehand, you know? I think that last TV Spot showed WAY too much. Those were shots I wanted to see in the theater for the first time.

I wish the earlier trailer were better experiences, because if they were I bet less would need to be shown. They are already showing way more than they planned to in the trailers.

Well, I can't say for certain, but I don't think I am going to watch anymore footage. I mean, I know a lot.. but I don't want to see it all beforehand, you know? I think that last TV Spot showed WAY too much. Those were shots I wanted to see in the theater for the first time.

I wish the earlier trailer were better experiences, because if they were I bet less would need to be shown. They are already showing way more than they planned to in the trailers.

A lady being picked up and dropped is hardly "WAY too much". 3D imax vs shitty footage cut and out of context... you'll be fine.

I remember looking forward to and seeing the TLW tv spots at school every morning (first period study hall with a tv on) during its marketing run just to see that raptor leap onto flashlight guy who shouldn't have gone into the lohng glass. Never felt like I wish I hadn't seen it.

A lady being picked up and dropped is hardly "WAY too much". 3D imax vs shitty footage cut and out of context... you'll be fine.

I remember looking forward to and seeing the TLW tv spots at school every morning (first period study hall with a tv on) during its marketing run just to see that raptor leap onto flashlight guy who shouldn't have gone into the lohng glass. Never felt like I wish I hadn't seen it.

Not just a lady- that's
Zara, played by Katie McGrath
. I mean, she was part of one of the films cast announcements.

All I'm saying is anyone with an overactive attention to detail is gonna put this movie together whether they want to or not. Couple it with the early leaks among everything else and it's just too much.

Plus, I just don't want to see too many cool shots in advance. That wide angle shot of her dropping into the tank is fantastic, just wish I would have seen it in theaters first. Modern cinema spoils a little too much in trailers, I just want some surprises left, at least visually.

Trevorrow said that by the end of the movie she morphs into an Ellen Ripley style badass, which sounds awesome and Bryce sounded ecstatic about it. If anything the movie may give us another cool female movie heroine. In fact when I saw the teaser, the shot of the doors opening while she's holding the flare gave me an ALIENS vibe immediately.

That picture is not being a badass.

She is just letting the t-rex out of the cage to get the I-rex (another bit of the plot spoiled by the official photos and clips so far).

She is using the flair to get the attention, but there is fear on her face and she will likely be running in about 5 more seconds.

Razmos

She is just letting the t-rex out of the cage to get the I-rex (another bit of the plot spoiled by the official photos and clips so far).

She is using the flair to get the attention, but there is fear on her face and she will likely be running in about 5 more seconds.
And those same clips show her being chased by the T-Rex.

Her doing that at all is pretty badass, wouldn't you show fear if you were being chased by a T-Rex, jeez.

Waldini

Holy ... shit.

That shot of the woman getting picked up and dropped in de Mososaurus tank is frightening as fuck. You know where you are getting dropped .. and you KNOW there's a big dino right below you.

I do wonder why we haven't seen much of the T-Rex yet?

Waldini

I do hope they don't kill of "Rexy" though.

I-Rex fighting the T-Rex would be glorious to see. With the I-Rex having a slight upper-hand. In the end, "Rexy" wins. Roars and goes unconsious.

Can't wait. Looking forward to Jurassic World.

And those same clips show her being chased by the T-Rex.

Her doing that at all is pretty badass, wouldn't you show fear if you were being chased by a T-Rex, jeez.

Sorry, he was comparing her to Ripley. Not even on the same page in terms of badass-ery. Jeez indeed!

Wat. I actually didn't know this and I read the leaks and have sort of kept up with this thread. Well that demystifies whatever I was thinking this scene could be. Oh well.

Not really mad at you, but I guess it's time for me to jump out of this thread till release. Between this, the mosasaurus kill, and actual pics of the old visitor center in the forbidden zone, I've reached my pre-release spoiler capacity lol.

Sorry, he was comparing her to Ripley. Not even on the same page in terms of badass-ery. Jeez indeed!

He said the director said she morphs into an Ellen Ripley-esque badass. He then posted the pic of her holding the flare, saying that shot reminded him of something from Aliens.

Wat. I actually didn't know this and I read the leaks and have sort of kept up with this thread. Well that demystifies whatever I was thinking this scene could be. Oh well.

Not really mad at you, but I guess it's time for me to jump out of this thread till release. Between this, the mosasaurus kill, and actual pics of the old visitor center in the forbidden zone, I've reached my pre-release spoiler capacity lol.

Should be noted that it's still just speculation that she lets it out of its cage. We have the shot of her holding the flare (throwback to the first movie and the Rex encounter, of course), and in the latest Global trailer, there is a shot of her feet, running away, as a very Rex-like pair of feet stand behind her. We just put 2 and 2 together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom