• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
This trailer in 3D imax... holy shit. Those raptors got CLOSE! Better 3D effects than both the Star Wars trailer and the entirety of Avengers. Good stuff.

And because this is a spoiler thread...
I figured I'd use some tags.

Wat. I actually didn't know this and I read the leaks and have sort of kept up with this thread. Well that demystifies whatever I was thinking this scene could be. Oh well.

Not really mad at you, but I guess it's time for me to jump out of this thread till release. Between this, the mosasaurus kill, and actual pics of the old visitor center in the forbidden zone, I've reached my pre-release spoiler capacity lol.

yep, that scene is among the reasons why people as saying they have spoiled too much so far in all the trailers and promo pics.

He said the director said she morphs into an Ellen Ripley-esque badass. He then posted the pic of her holding the flare, saying that shot reminded him of something from Aliens.

If Brandon83 was not referring Bryce's character reminding him of Ripley from Aliens, then I am only referring to the director when I say "he was comparing her to Ripley".

Otherwise, I don't think she has the same badass vibe as something like this:
aliens-ripley-geared-up.png

Should be noted that it's still just speculation that she lets it out of its cage. We have the shot of her holding the flare (throwback to the first movie and the Rex encounter, of course), and in the latest Global trailer, there is a shot of her feet, running away, as a very Rex-like pair of feet stand behind her. We just put 2 and 2 together.

Yeah it should be noted that it is speculation, but pretty good speculation.

Still can't believe she runs in heels though.

ha, I didn't notice this but it seems pretty stupid.

Jurassic World Toys

They didn't have the large Indominus Rex yet. The street date for all of them is May 11th and they got permission to put them out early but knew they were still awaiting stock.

Just want the Indominus and the Nedry Jeep from the Matchbox line.

3/5 today!

The articulating parts on the new toys are so ugly. That T-Rex jaw...yikes. And did they literally just saw the Anky apart? Part of his shoulder is cut off.

That mosasaur (sp?) death has been making me cringe ever since I saw it. That's fucking horrifying to me. Definitely impacts me more than any death in a jurrassic movie.

Gonna have to turn my head.

The comparison to Ripley is loose and you guys are taking my quote and Trevorrow's comparison way too on the nose. She's not going to pick up gatlin guns and mow down velociraptors while chomping on a Cuban. It's just that her character, toward the end, is going to show some bravery by going from a woman that's not really used to this sort of situation in an effort to protect her nephews. You don't have to pilot a power loader and kick a queen alien's ass in order to be a badass. She's obviously not Ripley tough as nails, it's a loose comparison. Nobody is saying that she becomes Ripley, but rather a strong female character that has to go through some crazy shit.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
That mosasaur (sp?) death has been making me cringe ever since I saw it. That's fucking horrifying to me. Definitely impacts me more than any death in a jurrassic movie.

Gonna have to turn my head.

I must be desensitized since I just found that an average movie death. I mean, unless you have a fear of big monsters living in the ocean or whatever. (And I know people that fear bodies of water due to "the unknown".)

I must be desensitized since I just found that an average movie death. I mean, unless you have a fear of big monsters living in the ocean or whatever. (And I know people that fear bodies of water due to "the unknown".)

The shots of
her both being dropped from up high, and dropping alone, isolated, in the water,
both play into pretty deep fears of mine.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the angle chosen for the
shot of her under the surface
is a direct homage to the Jaws movie poster.

The comparison to Ripley is loose and you guys are taking my quote and Trevorrow's comparison way too on the nose. She's not going to pick up gatlin guns and mow down velociraptors while chomping on a Cuban. It's just that her character, toward the end, is going to show some bravery by going from a woman that's not really used to this sort of situation in an effort to protect her nephews. You don't have to pilot a power loader and kick a queen alien's ass in order to be a badass. She's obviously not Ripley tough as nails, it's a loose comparison. Nobody is saying that she becomes Ripley, but rather a strong female character that has to go through some crazy shit.

I understand what you meant.

However, Charlize Theron in the Mad Max trailers looks "badass". Nothing I have seen in the trailers so far would have me using the word badass in the same sentence to describe what I have seen of Bryce Dallas' character.

That is my point.

Im a big BDH fan, but she isn't given me a badass vibe at all.

I understand what you meant.

However, Charlize Theron in the Mad Max trailers looks "badass". Nothing I have seen in the trailers so far would have me using the word badass in the same sentence to describe what I have seen of Bryce Dallas' character.

That is my point.

Her transformation is a key point. Of course you're not seeing her character arc in the trailer.

It's her actions later on in the film that makes her badass in a sense. But I think our definition of "badass" may be slightly different as again I don't think being badass = slaying dragons. I think a relatively normal character like hers in this movie risking their life to save people is "badass." They don't have to wear a cape or wield broadswords. Charlize's character looks badass because she's in a post apocalyptic setting where she has to fend for herself to survive and she's bald I guess. All we've really seen of Claire in this movie is talk up Indominus along with a few shots of her holding a flare and yelling "run!"

btw I think her holding the flare is badass.

Her transformation is a key point. Of course you're not seeing her character arc in the trailer.

Yeah I understand that too.

That is why I disagreed with the picture of her holding the flare as sign of her already transformed into a badass or heroine or Ripley-esque - given its about 5 seconds before she is running away, still wearing high heels!

I hope she does make a transformation, but we haven't seen anything suggesting she does from what has been released so far, IMO.

I hope she does make a transformation, but we haven't seen anything suggesting she does from what has been released so far, IMO.

We haven't but just because it's not in the marketing doesn't mean it's not there and both the director and Bryce have stated that they like how Claire goes from being pretty much a corporate suit to putting her life on the line to protect the kids. We're literally debating over something that hasn't been shown yet. I'm just going by the shots of her with the flare in addition to what the filmmakers said.

Also I think you're very much undermining the bravery of getting the attention of, and probably pissing off, the motherfuckin' T-Rex. I would be scared absolutely shitless. Would "brave" be a better term? I think they're very similar terms though. IMO being brave like that is being "badass."

It's her actions later on in the film that makes her badass in a sense. But I think our definition of "badass" may be slightly different as again I don't think being badass = slaying dragons. I think a relatively normal character like hers in this movie risking their life to save people is "badass." They don't have to wear a cape or wield broadswords. Charlize's character looks badass because she's in a post apocalyptic setting where she has to fend for herself to survive and she's bald I guess. All we've really seen of Claire in this movie is talk up Indominus along with a few shots of her holding a flare and yelling "run!"

btw I think her holding the flare is badass.

yeah its clear our definitions of a badass is different.

She is doing anything she can to save her nephews and the people at the park, even letting a t-rex out of her cage.

But isn't that something anyone with a little bit of courage would do to save a lot of people?

I mean, Sandra Bullock in Speed is not a badass in my opinion, but she may be to you? Id describe her more like and accidental heroine, kinda like the vibe I am getting from BDH in this.

You're assuming that's all she does. Again we're arguing about a sequence we know very little about. I wouldn't say that letting a T-Rex out of a cage and deliberately have it chase you while holding a flare is something that just anyone would be brave enough to do. In the new trailer the damn thing is literally like right behind her so yeah that's some courage IMO.

Boem

Wow, that opening with the Barbasol can is pretty much how the first trailer for the Telltale game began: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiroJ5K0Qwo The Barbasol can left behind by Nedry was also pretty much the basis of the entire story of that game.

So that's another thing that (unintentionally or intentionally) correlates with something from the Telltale game (others were the Mosasaur exhibit, some of the new rides and the Jurassic World website mentioning an earlier tribe living on Isla Nublar, which also came from the game (the tribe even had the same name in the game and the website). Neat stuff. As a game it wasn't great, but as a Jurassic Park story it was pretty fun at the time, especially because it didn't seem likely we'd get another movie.

I'm totally betting on them using Troodon (Troodons?) in one of the Jurassic World sequels. Those were the best addition to the Dino menu offered by the Telltale game, they are significantly different from the other dinosaurs and they actually made for some of the best scenes. The Mosasaur and Troodon scenes were what made the game worth playing (once) - much better than any of the usual dinosaurs in that game.

That stuff was great, probably some of the more inspired parts of that game. Sadly you had to suffer through some extremely mediocre parts before you got to the good stuff though.

yeah its clear our definitions of a badass is different.

She is doing anything she can to save her nephews and the people at the park, even letting a t-rex out of her cage.

But isn't that something anyone with a little bit of courage would do to save a lot of people?

I mean, Sandra Bullock in Speed is not a badass in my opinion, but she may be to you? Id describe her more like and accidental heroine, kinda like the vibe I am getting from BDH in this.
You may think of AlienS when you read "Ripley" but I think of AliEN. She's more accidental and circumstantial badass there.

Stop watching bruh! :p

Eh that was really harmless, I didn't think a Barbasol ad would feature any real deal stuff. I love the emphasis the movie has on the pteranodons though.

I'd still rather have non-spoileriffic discussions in the other thread but nobody's there lol

You're assuming that's all she does. Again we're arguing about a sequence we know very little about. I wouldn't say that letting a T-Rex out of a cage and deliberately have it chase you while holding a flare is something that just anyone would be brave enough to do. In the new trailer the damn thing is literally like right behind her so yeah that's some courage IMO.

I'll leave the argument with this post because we are not going to agree, but...

She probably/should feels pretty damn guilty and responsible for the predicament everyone is in because she was the one who created/greenlight the I-rex.

She should be the one putting her own life at risk to save everyone else considering it was her decision to create the I-rex that is putting everyone else's life at risk.

Is letting the t-rex out a courageous act? In itself yeah. But given the circumstances, its the least she should do IMO.

I'm not trying to convince you, just explaining where I'm coming from and what those quotes probably meant in the context of the movie and her character arc.

And I'm not sure I like head sets on the raptors. Kind of kills the whole vibe for me but I'll await context.

Aren't they just tracking devices so that they can monitor their positions after letting them run free? Just seems like some type of control or monitoring device, which makes sense if they hope to retrieve the raptors. At any rate it's one step closer to this

So there's no arm in Moses' mouth...

And I'm not sure I like head sets on the raptors. Kind of kills the whole vibe for me but I'll await context.

I totally get why they have them, but yeah, it looks way less cool IMO.

The arm isn't there because they used a way older clip, hence the massive color grade change.

Aren't they just tracking devices so that they can monitor their positions after letting them run free? Just seems like some type of control or monitoring device, which makes sense if they hope to retrieve the raptors. At any rate it's one step closer to this
Well that'll be cool when Jurassyc Park: InGenisys releases.

A good view of the headset. Wish it were in HD though.

That's my only issue with this film and it comes this close to release. Like was said, I get it but I/it could do without.

And if this were a supposed practical shot, why not a practical headset? Who thought of this idea last minute?

I think it goes along with all the other WAT ideas this movie has. So many elements have had people skeptical or questioning the decisions, but I think it's just because the movie is introducing new ideas. I don't have a problem with this, and it goes against some people just calling this a repeat of the first movie. With the technology they have and the level of control they have (think) they have it fits right in with the context. This isn't 1993 Jurassic Park where Hammond didn't have raptors being tamed or this level of technology.

It's something new, which is why it seems off-putting. The hybrid seemed off-putting because it was new, but it works with the story of the movie. It's not any different than a dog tracking collar or something along those lines.

I think it goes along with all the other WAT ideas this movie has. So many elements have had people skeptical or questioning the decisions, but I think it's just because the movie is introducing new ideas. I don't have a problem with this, and it goes against some people just calling this a repeat of the first movie. With the technology they have and the level of control they have (think) they have it fits right in with the context. This isn't 1993 Jurassic Park where Hammond didn't have raptors being tamed or this level of technology.

It's something new, which is why it seems off-putting. The hybrid seemed off-putting because it was new, but it works with the story of the movie. It's not any different than a dog tracking collar or something along those lines.
I was never put off by anything until tech being added to the dinos. Again, I'll await context, but this is the first thing I can say I'm disappointed with.

BUT, it could be cool if they're cameras and give us a bird's ancestor's eye view.

I was never put off by anything until tech being added to the dinos. Again, I'll await context, but this is the first thing I can say I'm disappointed with.

I got you. I think it's really cool and interesting how they're presenting the dinosaurs in the movie and it works with the story and themes so that's why I'm down for it-- also I don't think it's out of bounds for these people who "own" these animals to do stuff like that to them, again, I liken it to tracking collars made for dogs. That's essentially how these raptors are being treated.

And hey at least you're not looking at it thinking "movie ruined" like kneejerkers.

I got you. I think it's really cool and interesting how they're presenting the dinosaurs in the movie and it works with the story and themes so that's why I'm down for it-- also I don't think it's out of bounds for these people who "own" these animals to do stuff like that to them, again, I liken it to tracking collars made for dogs. That's essentially how these raptors are being treated.

And hey at least you're not looking at it thinking "movie ruined" like kneejerkers.
Haha never. If anything, I imagine they're not on long. And I think the camera idea may be legit.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Lol ceratosaurus. He was in JPIII but nobody remembers.

I hope to god Stegoceratops is not in the movie :/

I know everyone's threshold is different. But Stegoceratops would likely be my *seinfeldhandsup.gif* moment.

BUT, it could be cool if they're cameras and give us a bird's ancestor's eye view.

Honestly, I assumed they WERE cameras. First thing that came to mind--you wouldn't need an entire headset if you were just trying to track them.

The red light makes me think they're infrared, too--Hollywood tech-wise. I wonder if that will play into the
I-Rex's cloaking
ability at all.

Jurassic World Toys

They didn't have the large Indominus Rex yet. The street date for all of them is May 11th and they got permission to put them out early but knew they were still awaiting stock.

Just want the Indominus and the Nedry Jeep from the Matchbox line.

3/5 today!

My Toys R Us that I grabbed those JW toys from today called me just before they closed tonight to let me know that the large Indominus Rex will be on the truck coming tomorrow, along with more JW toys and merchandise.

Indominus Rex for sure tomorrow then! Hopefully the die cast Nedry Jeep from Matchbox is on that truck too! Then I'll be good until the 2nd Wave comes out. I want to get the Pachy and the Dilophosaurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom