• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then let the skeptical be skeptical. Also those people who don't care much about the movie aren't likely piecing this stuff together anyway so I doubt that's it to even begin with.

Hey, I'm not supporting the spoilage. Showing most everything in trailers is lame. The ones that practically show the whole movie in order are the worst. Huge lack of trust on audiences (and talent) by some trailer makers.

^^^agreed

That's the sad reality of our age of internet whiners. They need their fears quelled via spoiler-riddled trailers so that they can start posting reaction vids and reviews which in turn act as free advertising for the studios..

Fuck the internet.

I'm still trying to figure out how all of this is not within the realm of plausibility in the context of the story but I'm failing real hard. If Hammond's original park had been successful they would have eventually gotten around to doing all kinds of shit with the animals for the purpose of crowd-pleasing. It's no different than a circus.

Bernbaum

The issue with them spoiling so much with the pre-release material is that it's all so unnecessary. It's a Jurassic Park film - audiences know there are going to be dinosaurs and that shit goes haywire. It's okay if they lean on the I. Rex scenes to sell the film, but there's a lot of footage released that looks like it's from the third act.

Yeah. I also think having a truckload of spots is dumb too. Have a teaser, theatrical trailer, and then a handful of spots with new shots but without deliberately showing death scenes and jump scares. I get that they want asses in seats, but it's fucking Jurassic Park. If they're not confident in the trailers, they're silly because those trailers did significantly heighten anticipation for the film. It's almost like they read a couple of haterade message board threads and panicked.

Some movies simply end up with tons of spoilery commercials though regardless, but it's stupid. How many Tomorrowland spots are out there with so much footage? My only hope is that we're wrong and that they actually haven't shown too much and that the movie is simply crazy enough to where, despite having seen a lot of stuff, that we actually haven't seen that much.

This stuff will still be far more awesome in the theater in context, but my god it's been going on 15 years since the last movie and they're showing so much shit in the 11th hour. I guess I just don't understand the concept of keeping things so hush hush and then spoiling so many things before the movie comes out through the marketing. It's like, better watch the movie to understand what's going on with the trained raptors... or just hold up we'll show it in the previews.

I'm just glad they're not as spoilery as the new Terminator trailer.

It would have actual dialog discussing the raptors going rogue, show their turn, spoil more attacks.

And with I-Rex, they'd break down that whole plot as well.

We're seeing a sliver of the film in comparison. No details about the security team and what they're rumored to be up to either.

Bernbaum

Today I watched Safety not Guaranteed and The Lost World.

Didn't enjoy Safety not Guaranteed until the last act and the ending was cool. The films merits are mostly with the script. There wasn't much about the direction or way it was shot that particularly exciting.

The Lost World is still watchable. It's a great film until the gymnastics scene, and then it leads straight into the San Diego sequence which is entirely forgettable. Plot points aside, it's a very carefully shot film. Spielberg's long takes seem natural and it feels like a worthy continuation of the first film until the last act. One thing I noticed - most action shots are still focussed on the characters, - the dinosaur action is mostly incidental to a scene except for a few hero shots. A good example is the T-Rex attack on the camp at night. There's hardly an action shot where there aren't people in frame, usually the focus of the audience's attention. The dinosaurs just acting on instinct and doing dinosaur stuff - they aren't mindless killers.

Today I watched Safety not Guaranteed and The Lost World.

Didn't enjoy Safety not Guaranteed until the last act and the ending was cool. The films merits are mostly with the script. There wasn't much about the direction or way it was shot that particularly exciting.

The Lost World is still watchable. It's a great film until the gymnastics scene, and then it leads straight into the San Diego sequence which is entirely forgettable. Plot points aside, it's a very carefully shot film. Spielberg's long takes seem natural and it feels like a worthy continuation of the first film until the last act. One thing I noticed - most action shots are still focussed on the characters, - the dinosaur action is mostly incidental to a scene except for a few hero shots. A good example is the T-Rex attack on the camp at night. There's hardly an action shot where there aren't people in frame, usually the focus of the audience's attention. The dinosaurs just acting on instinct and doing dinosaur stuff - they aren't mindless killers.
Gymnastics scene never bothered me. It's a Spielberg thing to include some sort of whimsical environmental puzzle.

Jawmuncher

Even as a kid always thought the gymnastic scene was just ok. It's set up was odd with her spinning, the raptor watching ,and then getting hit. Had it been a quicker pace I think it wouldnt be so ridiculed. She jumps grabs the pipe and hits the raptor would have been better.

Bernbaum

Even as a kid always thought the gymnastic scene was just ok. It's set up was odd with her spinning, the raptor watching ,and then getting hit. Had it been a quicker pace I think it wouldnt be so ridiculed. She jumps grabs the pipe and hits the raptor would have been better.

You're right - it's the set-up that's goofy and unnecessary. It feels like something from a Lost Boys scene in Hook.

Incidentally, that's the only bit in the entire film that my mum enjoyed. She clapped and said "good job girl!" in the cinema. After leaving the cinema, she said she didn't care for the dinosaur action.

SNG isn't really my type of movie but I'd still put it over TLW which I find to just be a drab and monumentally stupid movie. It's not just the gymnastics or San Diego part (which is bad enough when you consider it's the climax and arguably most important part of a movie). I hate the characters and the story and the tone and pretty much everything outside of the soundtrack. I can't relate to anyone in it and Malcolm is a terrible protagonist.

SNG isn't really my type of movie but I'd still put it over TLW which I find to just be a drab and monumentally stupid movie. It's not just the gymnastics or San Diego part (which is bad enough when you consider it's the climax and arguably most important part of a movie). I hate the characters and the story and the tone and pretty much everything outside of the soundtrack. I can't relate to anyone in it and Malcolm is a terrible protagonist.
Harding pisses me off more than anything else in the film. But I remember being in awe watching it the first time at the theater. Soundtrack certainly helped.

Bernbaum

It's also very 'dark'. Visually, not just thematically. The entire film from the moment Vince Vaughn releases the captive dinos in the camp all the way to the end is either at night or under darkness of the jungle canopy. The only daylight scenes after that are of the two groups making their way to the centre of the island and most of that sequence is just Dieter getting eaten by Compys. There's literally only about 5 minutes of the film between the two main night sequences.

Harding pisses me off more than anything else in the film. But I remember being in awe watching it the first time at the theater. Soundtrack certainly helped.

I hate to be so down on it but I think it's true. That bedroom scene with Hammond is one of the most blatant "this is a sequel and this is the dumb fucking reason these characters are going back to the island" expositions out there.

Koepp's script was beyond awful and it blows my mind that Spielberg went with it. But then again I had the impression that they annoyed Spielberg into it rather than having his heart in it.

I'm getting an increased impression that this is going to be more of a monster movie instead of a dinosaur movie... Oh well...

They're all monster movies. They're action movies with dinosaurs that aren't scientifically accurate due to them being created for show and with incomplete genetic structures and it's a sequel to an established series. So yeah it's not going to be some complex and informative look at dinosaurs. The first one wasn't either. There's some talk and how the scientists made them for show purposes but the movies have never been incredibly insightful or full of dinosaur information. I imagine that screenwriters are trying to tell a story with characters first and foremost.

I'm not saying the movies should be vapid of information but even if Jurassic World were up to date with what we know about dinosaurs they could find information on June 13th that renders everything obsolete anyway. They're just trying to make a fun action adventure movie with the themes of the original story. The first movie established how they do all of this within the context which led to the sensation/illusion if thinking you're learning all about dinosaurs, but not really.

It also had the benefit of going into the bird similarities but that's again been covered already. Sometimes I get the impression that people would rather these movies be documentaries without any action but that would completely defeat the original intent. Even the novels had action and death and suspense and all that shit but apparently that's a crime here :p

Bernbaum

The first Jurassic Park had the most blatant monster movie scene in the franchise: Nedry getting chomped by the dilophosaurus. The dilophosaurus was memorable for its head crests, neck frill and noxious saliva. Two of those traits were completely made up for the film and yet it's still an iconic scene.

The first Jurassic Park had the most blatant monster movie scene in the franchise: Nedry getting chomped by the dilophosaurus. The dilophosaurus was memorable for its head crests, neck frill and noxious saliva. Two of those traits were completely made up for the film and yet it's still an iconic scene.

How about having several action sequences that have nothing to do with dinosaurs at all like the falling vehicle and the fence climbing? These movies are arguably not even about dinosaurs but rather people tampering with nature and the consequences of such. They don't ever sit around talking about dinosaurs, just questioning decisions and when they are talking about dinosaurs it usually boils right back down to control.

The most you really get is the raptor stuff at the beginning. In fact I would argue that in addition to the control themes that Jurassic Park is also about raptor intelligence, which is a topic in every movie... except TLW, which in my mind is another reason why it hardly fits in or adds anything of value to the series. Even JP3 did cool stuff with them and expanded upon that theme and it looks like JW is going even further with it.

bengraven

I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED PEOPLE.

oh god no
not the baby dinos

It's okay. Those pteros are biting off more than they can chew with that trike tyke.

Better to just eat one of those human kids.

Damn that shot with it grabbing the trike...awesome cinematography

It's also very 'dark'. Visually, not just thematically. The entire film from the moment Vince Vaughn releases the captive dinos in the camp all the way to the end is either at night or under darkness of the jungle canopy. The only daylight scenes after that are of the two groups making their way to the centre of the island and most of that sequence is just Dieter getting eaten by Compys. There's literally only about 5 minutes of the film between the two main night sequences.

Another thing I didn't care for. I prefer some vibrancy. JW has night scenes too but the colors pop, the contrast is great and it's far from drab.

bengraven

I do prefer the jungle theme of the first movies. Even the clean parts felt like they were trying to emulate a jungle adventure. Now it's a resort, iPod looking.

The cleaner resort look of this is the only thing that really makes me wary.

I hate to be so down on it but I think it's true. That bedroom scene with Hammond is one of the most blatant "this is a sequel and this is the dumb fucking reason these characters are going back to the island" expositions out there.

Koepp's script was beyond awful and it blows my mind that Spielberg went with it. But then again I had the impression that they annoyed Spielberg into it rather than having his heart in it.
But didn't Spielberg want to make this film and sort of forced Crichton to bring Malcolm back? It seems like he already had his own ideas and used some of Crichton's.

The film is definitely garbage compared to the book but I enjoy it.

^^not sure, I just think it was a misfire in almost every regard.

Regarding the look of the movie I like that it's different and modern. Also it's not like the whole movie is there. From what I can tell there's a lot of jungle stuff and all the night scenes seem gritty enough. I think the visual cleanliness of the modern park drives home some of the themes, visually, about money and control. Everything is luxurious but it's a facade and to me goes back to the first movie when Ellie points out the poisonous plant that was picked because it looked good.

It's pretty and pristine but it all gets fucked.

bengraven

You know, there are still a lot people upset by Malcolm's "resurrection" but to me having one guy shake his head at Grant in the epilogue doesn't necessarily mean he's dead. Which I guess Critchton took into consideration to bring him back.

Though I do think there's a mention of his body being trapped in Costa Rica...?

Too many fucking scene spoilers in these TV Spots. UGH.

I fucking hate that they rely on showing a bunch of shit rather than just making carefully crafted trailers.

bengraven

Too many fucking scene spoilers in these TV Spots. UGH.

I fucking hate that they rely on showing a bunch of shit rather than just making carefully crafted trailers.

Yeah, I've realized that I would have been happy being done about four or five tv spots ago. Actually, the first three trailers were good enough for me. The new footage is starting to just ruin the film.

I'd expect them to show bits of the
I-Rex vs T-Rex fight
soon.

Really hoping they can keep that one under their belt. I probably won't watch anymore spots because of this.

Also, speaking of which I do hope there's at least one more scene with the T-rex other than the feeding scene and fight. I'd like to be reminded that the T-rex is fucking horrifying.

Like in my dreams at night...

bengraven

I say keep the Trex as more of a novelty than overexposure.

Right, what I meant was maybe after the fight we suddenly have him turn on the humans and we get a chase sequence. But the more I think about it, we're already going to have that as I finally realized the reason for the flare is the same as Malcolm's reason in JP. And that makes me understand why she looked so fucking petrified.

That plus "RUUUUUN!" makes me think it ignores her and goes for the others who then run towards or encounter the IRex and thus we meet.

Then again, that happened already in JP3 I guess...

I think it just chases after her since she has the flare and she lures it to Indominus, which is why she's telling them to run, to get them cleared out of the way. I don't expect much in the way of the Trex being an enemy since Indominus is the "villain." Apart from it chasing Claire of course. I think this sequence will be incredible.

-griffy-

Banned
The opening scene is even more blatantly monster-like, and deliberately so, I'd think. You don't even see the raptor in the cage, and you have the Jaws-like moment where the guy is grabbed and his body jerked around.

This is going to get a sequel, right? Or at least that's what they expect? This movie makes a bit of sense since it works as a sort of reboot with the park working properly, but I can't currently see where a sequel could go without it being way too silly.

-griffy-

Banned
This is going to get a sequel, right? Or at least that's what they expect? This movie makes a bit of sense since it works as a sort of reboot with the park working properly, but I can't currently see where a sequel could go without it being way too silly.

Well the park will close and the dinosaurs will just kind of live on the island as it gets taken over by nature. Then there will be extreme sight-seeing vacations near the island to get glimpses of dinosaurs. You know, like parasailing and stuff. Well this kid is doing one of those, only there's an accident, and he winds up stranded on the island! So his parents (played by William H. Macy and Tea Leoni) hire Chris Pratt to lead an expedition to find him since he's dealt with dinosaurs before.

The opening scene is even more blatantly monster-like, and deliberately so, I'd think. You don't even see the raptor in the cage, and you have the Jaws-like moment where the guy is grabbed and his body jerked around.

It's comical how his body is like lifted up sideways.

I love that we're finally getting a realization of this unused Jurassic Park scene.

l9WDpPA.jpg

c3MJiT7.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I hope they have scene in the movie where they are talking about modified dinosaurs for home use. They had a scene about this in the book, and I would love to see a reference to this.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
That's funny... even my official JP magazine shows the baby model, I've known about it, but I never really thought about it. They made tons of robotic models, but I never once thought about why they never used it :x The novel I remember had a baby in a barn or something, I think it was?

But that would be different... therefore terrible!
Not everything different is automatically bad in peoples' eyes. I mean you even mention TLW being darker than the original (thus different) as a negative.

Mutant dino-human hybrids with weapon mounts in JP = bad.

Discussing purchasable dinos in JP = not so bad.

Not everything different is automatically bad in peoples' eyes. I mean you even mention TLW being darker than the original (thus different) as a negative.

I'm more or less talking about how the dinosaurs are presented, such as people being upset about the raptors being trained/tamed or the park staff fitting them with gear. My complaint about The Lost World being too dark is a slight at the boring cinematography. I don't dislike it because it's different, it's not really different, the difference is that the night stuff in the original and, now looking at Jurassic World, I mean you can shoot "dark" scenes and make them vibrant. Looking at TLW is like looking at mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom