• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

Yep. The explanation given afterwards is really ... just no.

"They feel like this is now part of their terrain. They must defend it!"

I noticed that once the Rex attacks the camp ... that they are both there. The bull and female. Never noticed that before.

My girlfriend asked me yesterday if the T-Rex that gets killed in JP3 is the offspring of the two adults you see in The Lost World. Could be ... couldn't quite debunk that. However she said : "How is that Spino holding the T-Rex like that? It's impossible! The snout is too long and doesn't have as much grappling power as the Rex has! That thing could not possibly have won!" ...

O yes. I love my girlfriend :)
This has been my theory for a while now too. It's slightly smaller than the 2 adults from TLW.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
When we watched JP3 and then TLW (in that order at my sons insistence) my wife noticed the pteranodons being out at the end of TLW "weren't they back in the cage in the next one?"

*fist bump* I know right?!

TLW's ending is so stupid that it could almost be seen as just a random scene with dinosaurs all out in an open field getting along and chilling.

SoldnerKei

watched TLW with the gf too a few days ago, when they get out of the island she said something along the lines of "it was almost as good as the first one" then San Diego happened :v

it has been ages since she watched the movie she barely remember it, so her reaction to Eddie's dead was priceless mwhaha, also we lol'd at gym kid super powers, Goldblum's close-ups > cheesy lines, and why professor oak warned us about going into the tall grass, he knew about the raptors

I have been checking my local cinema's page everyday and still no tickets for preorder damn :c

It actually is fairly common for predators and prey to chill out in the same general area, if they don't feel they're threatened.

But yeah, the ending of TLW was clearly Spielberg just going full "fuck it" mode.

It actually is fairly common for predators and prey to chill out in the same general area, if they don't feel they're threatened.

But yeah, the ending of TLW was clearly Spielberg just going full "fuck it" mode.

Absolutely. Plus, I didn't think the scene looked very good. It looked kind of claustrophobic despite the open landscape.

Calcium

Banned
It's been a while since I've seen TLW, but wasn't there only 2 groups of dinosaurs in that last shot? You guys are making it sound like all the herbivores are present and lounging around the Rex family. Wow, I'm defending TLW....nevermind.

Bernbaum

It's been a while since I've seen TLW, but wasn't there only 2 groups of dinosaurs in that last shot? You guys are making it sound like all the herbivores are present and lounging around the Rex family. Wow, I'm defending TLW....nevermind.
A herd of stegosaurs knowingly stroll past the Rex family, mere meters away. It's very Disney, and is in stark contrast to the dark tone of the rest of the film.

Calcium

Banned
A herd of stegosaurs knowingly stroll past the Rex family, mere meters away. It's very Disney, and is in stark contrast to the dark tone of the rest of the film.

I looked up the scene on Youtube and like Charles Foster Kane said it is really claustrophobic. The Stegosaurus herd is keeping their distance and one of them even gives the T-Rex a "come over here and my tail spikes are going into your jugular" look. It's pretty stupid that they are as close as they are, but it isn't as bad as everyone was making it sound. If there was a water source nearby I could see them being in close proximity like that.

You're all crazy. The last shot of TLW was gorgeous.

cqt3RTI.jpg

Does anyone have a better picture?

I dunno it seems very... animated there? I think if it were an animatronic it would be too noticeable. Both CG and animatronics have to be used in such a way that makes sense for what's being conveyed. For this shot I can see why they went CG with it. I think CG is much more expressive than animatronics.

Dead

well not really...yet
I feel no matter how bad TLW objectively is in some parts, it's still insanely watchable (nevermind that my 11-12 year old self thought it was amazing).

I think a lot of that has to do with how incredible John Williams' score for that movie it. is probably his most overlooked work. The new themes he did for it are incredible, most of it is so wonderfully dark and moody.

Main Theme

The Trek

Visitor in San Diego

It's one of the most thematically rich scores of the past 15 years IMO. Not many sequels are able to come out with a score that expands on the original the way this did.

Giacchino has a hell of a lot to live up to.

The Lost World's soundtrack is GODLY. Damn, like I can never get over how good it is. I hope elements from it make it into Jurassic World, even if only stylistically.

I'm a little worried about Jurassic World's score despite liking Giacchino. His scores usually sound fairly similiar and I'm not sure if I want that style applied to JP or not. I guess we will find out!

Speaking of Tomorrowlands score, I'm about to walk my dog and give it a listen.

GUYS we're basically 23 days away. Jurassic Park fucking 4.

If there's one thing I'm not worried about it's the score. Giacchino's style will be perfect for it. His music is so thematic and colorful. He's proven himself like... a lot. Super 8, John Carter, Star Trek, Cloverfield's suite... incredible stuff.

Bernbaum

The announcement of Giacchino as the composer for the score is probably one of the few things that has received a unanimous positive response from the fanbase. Given his theatrical scores and history with JP video games, he's about the next best thing if you can't get John Williams.

The announcement of Giacchino as the composer for the score is probably one of the few things that has received a unanimous positive response from the fanbase. Given his theatrical scores and history with JP video games, he's about the next best thing if you can't get John Williams.

I can't think of anyone more well-suited for this aside from Alexandre Desplat or John Williams. There are certainly more composers that could probably handle it, but when this film was announced Giacchino was my first thought as I imagined Williams would either decline or be doing something else. We're lucky he's doing Episode VII and I imagine that'll be his last SW score.

Giaccino makes a lot of sense, and I like his music. I just hope he experiments beyond his comfort zone for Jurassic World. A lot of his music is too evenly mixed, smooth and perfect for my liking (when pertaining to JP).. I hope we just get something a little more Williams esque with the contrasting yet complimenting sounds.

Most of all, I hope he does a TON more with percussion. Because, honestly, it just feels like background noise and never does too much interesting.

I think he CAN be the right guy, because if he takes his talents and expands to a more JP sound.. it will be gold. But if he takes JP to his comfort zone it will be good, but just not where I would like it to be. That's my opinion of course.. and I'm probably not doing the best job to explain exactly what I mean, but meh. It makes sense to me, dammit.

Bernbaum

Here's my favourite JP-related media that I'll be consuming in the lead up to June 11:

- Both Michael Crichton books.
- Both John Williams scores (great for working to).
- Operation Genesis on PC
- The original Jurassic Park, probably no more than twice over the next three weeks.
- 'The Making of Jurassic Park' by Don Shay and Jody Duncan

I played the Sega Genesis version of Jurassic Park to death back in the day. Having recently watched some let's plays on Youtube, the platforming design might be okay, but the controls are absolutely horrendous and the framerate chugs like a motherfucker. I always loved the visuals and music - the look of the park in the video game strongly influenced how I visualise the park when reading Crichton's books.

Amalthea

Banned
Here's my favourite JP-related media that I'll be consuming in the lead up to June 11:

- Both Michael Crichton books.
- Both John Williams scores (great for working to).
- Operation Genesis on PC
- The original Jurassic Park, probably no more than twice over the next three weeks.
- 'The Making of Jurassic Park' by Don Shay and Jody Duncan

I played the Sega Genesis version of Jurassic Park to death back in the day. Having recently watched some let's plays on Youtube, the platforming design might be okay, but the controls are absolutely horrendous and the framerate chugs like a motherfucker. I always loved the visuals and music - the look of the park in the video game strongly influenced how I visualise the park when reading Crichton's books.
If you want to play a really good JP game on the Genesis try The Lost World.

If you want to play a really good JP game on the Genesis try The Lost World.
Speaking of TLW games, I remember when EGM featured the game on its cover with concept art of the nest raid. I was visualizing the scene from book and anticipating it in the film. Never happened lol.

As I think back, I think I saw that image before reading the book which helped me visualize it but still anticipated the scene since its art was featured on a mag.

There's something off about this. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe the cg wasn't finished, or it won't make the film, or maybe it's the focus, I don't know, but it sort of has that green screen effect.

I know what you're talking about and it's most definitely the screengrab quality rather than the effects.

Giaccino makes a lot of sense, and I like his music. I just hope he experiments beyond his comfort zone for Jurassic World. A lot of his music is too evenly mixed, smooth and perfect for my liking (when pertaining to JP).. I hope we just get something a little more Williams esque with the contrasting yet complimenting sounds.

Most of all, I hope he does a TON more with percussion. Because, honestly, it just feels like background noise and never does too much interesting.

Your opinion is fine, I think you're just sort of glossing over certain things.

For starters, too evenly mixed? This is not a bad thing. JW's music is also evenly mixed. I think I know what you're talking about, I just disagree that this is a bad thing. If anything it just reinforces that the composer knows exactly what they're doing in terms of writing. It takes a unorthodox amount of skill and experience to be able to come close to how brilliantly these guys write scores, so yeah, I don't see it as being a bad thing. Again I think I know what you're talking about, but I'll just have to chalk this one up to the agree to disagree category.

I also think Giacchino is a master at contrasting and complimenting sounds. Unless I'm misconstruing your definition of course. Giacchino's trademark is slightly more whimsical, off-beat compositions, but that's not all he does. I feel like Super 8's score is proof of this. He's very flexible, like Desplat, who also writes whimsical stuff a lot of the time, but again, that's not all he does.

What has me the most excited about Giacchino doing this are two things: themes and action, and these two aspects are the major two reasons I'm a John Williams fan. They're both excellent at themes and action cues. Both Giacchino and Williams are theme factories. But the best thing about Giacchino is that he doesn't rely on old themes. He instead does his own thing while weaving in pre-existing themes where necessary, and when he implements older themes, it's always very beautiful and tasteful.

It's important for each composer to have their own trademark. There's only one John Williams and, frankly, the guy is in his twilight years and I'm just not sure how much he's got left in him, and I think it's important for other composers to come into their own light and define film scores in their own way as John has. I think artists like Michael Giacchino and Alexandre Desplat are incredibly quality successors to John Williams and the industry is a better place with them. Giving them the work and experience they need to keep maturing and improving as artists is incredibly paramount to this environment.

We're not going to have Williams scoring films for too much longer; frankly I'm surprised that he's doing The Force Awakens, and I would be further surprised if he does VIII or IX. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I would still be impressed. The thing is, I don't want another John Williams. I want other composers that can define movies in their own ways just as he did. I don't want composers that are going to try and rip the guy off and I think these composers would agree with me. There's nothing worse than not having your own signature. When I listen to a soundtrack, I can usually tell after just a bit who possibly did it because I'm very familiar with their unique sounds. John Williams is easy to place, so is Hans Zimmer, James Netwon Howard, and so on.

Going on kind of a tangent here, but yeah, I firmly believe that we shouldn't necessarily be comparing composers, but rather respecting their individual sounds and what they personally bring to a film's soundscape. I wish John Williams could live forever (and he might) and score every movie like this, but the reality is that we need this younger blood that can carry this type of film score for the next 4-5 decades. In terms of "replacing" John Williams, I think Michael Giacchino and Alexandre Desplat have come into their own quite nicely and have proven their mettle. I am beyond ecstatic for this soundtrack.

In regards to percussion, Giacchino just did the Apes score, which is pretty percussion-heavy.

Other specific tracks I find relevant to what he could bring to Jurassic World:

San Fran Hustle (Star Trek Into Darkness, extended action cue)
World's Worst Field Trip (Super 8, extended action cue)
The Second Biggest Apes I've Seen This Month (John Carter, extended action cue)
Letting Go (Super 8, thematic)
Sab Pursues The Princess (John Carter, extended action cue)
Cloverfield Suite (Cloverfield, only piece of music in the movie and one of my favorite things he's yet done)

Also, the Tomorrowland soundtrack is gradually being uploaded here.

I'm not here to slight your opinion, just providing my perspective, and I do think too many people either need John Williams or just won't be satisfied regardless of the quality they may get instead. Not accusing you of that specifically, but I've seen it too often.

When is a good time to make an OT or Rottenwatch thread? One week before premiere?

No idea but... well the conversation has been nice while its lasted. When that thread goes up it's going to be bitch bitch central especially if that holier than thou RT score is below 90%.

Calcium

Banned
No idea but... well the conversation has been nice while its lasted. When that thread goes up it's going to be bitch bitch central especially if that holier than thou RT score is below 90%.

Yeah, pretty much. I'll keep an eye out for you guys in the sea of "worst movie ever" and "where the fuck are the feathers?!" posts.

The camo ability?

Yeah, pretty much. I'll keep an eye out for you guys in the sea of "worst movie ever" and "where the fuck are the feathers?!" posts.

I like that most of us have been able to point out or criticize or even downright worry about certain things without spreading the anus over it. It's true that my concerns are pretty slim; I think it's just that I like that this feels new instead of treading the same grounds again. I'm a lot more open to the ideas than many I guess.

From that Wired article that went up in OT, a brief but cool comment from Colin about how the dinosaurs are far more exposed in this film (daytime, sunlight) than in any of the others:

TREVORROW: Harsh top light has often not flattered the dinosaurs, but in Jurassic World they’re very naked and out in the open—it took that encouragement from Dennis for us to be willing to let these dinosaurs have sunlight hit their skin and not add any additional effects to mask them. It helps the movie feel intensely real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom