• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Amazon Picks Up Exclusive Streaming Rights For ‘Justified’
Amazon.com, Inc. today announced a content licensing agreement with Sony Pictures Television, making Prime Instant Video the exclusive online subscription home to the FX Network western crime drama Justified. The award-winning and gritty series has been one of the most watched shows on Amazon Instant Video, where customers can purchase and download episodes for $1.99 each, and will now be available to Prime members at no additional cost. In addition, Prime Instant Video will add the critically-acclaimed inner-city Los Angeles crime drama The Shield to its catalog.

“Justified and The Shield are two fan-favorites on Amazon,” said Brad Beale, Director of Digital Video Content Acquisition for Amazon. “We’re consistently looking for ways to make Prime even better – and one of the ways we’re doing that is adding shows like these that we know customers love. Prime members have tens of thousands of episodes of their favorite series like Downton Abbey, Falling Skies, and now Justified and The Shield, to enjoy on hundreds of devices, at no additional cost.”

“We have a great relationship with Amazon and we’re excited to give fans more opportunities to view these two great dramas,” said John Weiser, President of US Distribution for Sony Pictures Television. “We know Amazon’s Prime Instant Video service is the ideal platform for viewers to see their favorite episodes of these critically acclaimed series and to also open the show up to new audiences who we know will quickly get hooked on them.”

Fry

Good episode. But this season has been disappointing thus far.

I haven't enjoyed any of Boyd's situations. I think he's been a massive waste this season.

It's suffering from not having a big bad and it shows.

- FX's Justified Blog: Q&A with “Money Trap” Writer Chris Provenzano

Highlights:
–In “Money Trap,” Elmore Leonard gets a “Story by” credit. What were the challenges of adapting the character of Jackie Nevada, who comes from the novel “Raylan”? When did the writers room decide to incorporate her this season?

We had heard early on that Tim [Olyphant] really loved that character so we always had her on our radar and we were trying to figure out how we could incorporate her organically into the stories that were taking shape in the early part of the season. And we tried to find a story thread that might incorporate her into a couple of episodes, like a small part, the way Lindsay functions in the first quarter of the season. But what was challenging was that in the book she’s not the character she ended up being on the screen, almost specifically because of the Lindsay storyline. We didn’t feel comfortable having two duplicitous women get Raylan in some sort of trouble. So we had to figure out a way to incorporate her that felt fresh and different than Lindsay but that also true to the character in the book. What that started to suggest was that we couldn’t really make an ongoing storyline out of her, that she should just be what we call the client of the week, this person that Raylan walks through the world with for one episode and protects. So when we knew that we also wanted to also bring back the character of Jody, what seemed to happen was, we had the character we knew we wanted to bring back and a character we knew we wanted but didn’t know where. It started to feel like, “Well, those characters should probably live in the same episode because we can get everything we want in one place.” So in a lot of ways it becomes a standalone episode.

–Is there any one thing in “Money Trap” that you’re the most proud of?

I guess I’m really proud of the Kenneth and Jody relationship. There is a Kenneth character in Elmore’s book but really we just used the name because we did what Elmore has often advised us to do, which is to hang up the story and strip it for parts. In some ways I feel like Kenneth is my creation, just because all we really wanted was the credit roll that said, “A Film by Kenny Flix,” which was in the book and was hilarious. And we knew we wanted that, but we had to build Kenneth backwards a little bit and figure out how he would work with the character of Jody who we had established in the first episode [of season four]. I don’t know that all the hilarious banter and cool stuff between them made it into the final cut of the episode, but I do know that those two actors [playing] two characters when we were shooting were just such a joy. Those guys had known each other prior – I think they had worked on stage together in New York years ago – but just really had an affinity for one another and their chemistry was fabulous. It was a lot of fun to watch them work. It just felt like, “Wow, these guys need their own prequel,” where you see them in action before they meet Raylan because it was a lot of fun. I was happy with a lot of it. There are elements in this episode that are the most Western that we’ve done in a while: there’s a showdown in a saloon where Raylan clears out the bar and has a showdown. That was like, “Oh yeah, they do that in the Westerns all the time,” so that was fun to play that out.
More via the link.

Solo

TONIGHT, ON JACKIE NEVADA:

ikDcs7HPuoE04.gif

Same Jackie Nevada time, same Jackie Nevada channel!

Snake

I just watched last week's episode and, jesus christ, that was easily the most hilarious Justified of all time. Jody and Kenneth were so good I was hoping they'd get their own spinoff (rip jody you were too good for this world~). And that video, god that video.

Jackie Nevada was ten thousand times more interesting here than she ever was on The Secret Circle. And wow ^.

This is one of my favorite shows on television, but I can't help but feel this is the show's weakest season so far, and it's almost past the point of no return. Justified has largely been a show that has gotten progressively more awesome with each successive season, but this season has sort of broke that streak. I still love it and look forward to each new episode, but I'm actually a little more excited for new episodes of The Americans right now over Justified.

Nert

This is one of my favorite shows on television, but I can't help but feel this is the show's weakest season so far, and it's almost past the point of no return. Justified has largely been a show that has gotten progressively more awesome with each successive season, but this season has sort of broke that streak. I still love it and look forward to each new episode, but I'm actually a little more excited for new episodes of The Americans right now over Justified.

I agree that things don't seem quite up to the standards of seasons 2 and 3. This season's dialogue is still really sharp, and I actually love several components of this season (more time with Tim is great, Colton has a powerful presence to him, etc.). I think that I'm just having trouble adjusting to the relative lack of serialization. It was smart from them to get away from having a "big bad" like Mags or Quarles again, but I would have loved for there to be something more to work towards than just the Drew Thompson mystery.

I'm looking forward tonight's episode as always, though!

Solo

This season is way better than S3, which reached almost self-caricature levels.

To me, it's S2 >>> S4 thusfar > S3 > S1

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is one of my favorite shows on television, but I can't help but feel this is the show's weakest season so far, and it's almost past the point of no return. Justified has largely been a show that has gotten progressively more awesome with each successive season, but this season has sort of broke that streak

Really? I'm enjoying it far more than season 3 at this point. I like the more episodic feel of the season compared to the dreadful structure of season 3. It was really smart for them to focus on a mystery instead of doing another season long villain, ala Mags, or several season long villains like Quarles and Limehouse.

Burt

Yes

Yes yes

Yes
YESSSS YESSSSS YESSSSSS

FUCK YES THAT WAS GLORIOUS

Also, pouring one out for me homie from the opener over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom