• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope there was a third option, re: Boyd's "we either make a case to Theo or we run" which is fight back. I hope that's why Colt killed Mort; not because Colt wanted to cover up another screw-up which was letting Tim and co. get away, but because Boyd's new plan was to separate and dismantle Theo's crew in Harlan which may have started with Mort and hopefully continues with Packer and the other guys that are with Boyd.

That's the Boyd I know. That's the Boyd I deserve.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I want Boyd to go down hard. Have Ava go to prison and Johnny take him down.

A season 5 with Boyd out for revenge would be great TV.

Also, the Colt getting Gutterson'd is gonna be one of the most rewarding kills in TV history. It's gonna be like when Scully and Mulder finally kissed, except it'll be Colt feeling the searing kiss of hot lead.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Kinda like Ava in 4.12. THE DEAD LIGHT.

msC42c4.gif

Shelby could still take down Boyd and Ava. Remember the mine robbery and murders in season 2? He's still got that card if he wants to play it. And Ava's hands are dirty in that too as she took took the money and covered for him.

Don't they need to be wanted fugitives for the Marshals to come after them?

Shelby could still take down Boyd and Ava. Remember the mine robbery and murders in season 2? He's still got that card if he wants to play it. And Ava's hands are dirty in that too as she took took the money and covered for him.

Don't they need to be wanted fugitives for the Marshals to come after them?

I'd love the last shot of the season be Drew all "I can getcha Boyd Crowder..."

squidyj

I want Boyd to go down hard. Have Ava go to prison and Johnny take him down.

A season 5 with Boyd out for revenge would be great TV.

Also, the Colt getting Gutterson'd is gonna be one of the most rewarding kills in TV history. It's gonna be like when Scully and Mulder finally kissed, except it'll be Colt feeling the searing kiss of hot lead.

Except that moment was terrible, actually the entirety of them being romantically involved sucked.

Fantastic episode! It's a little weird how Raylan has no residual admiration for Shelby.

Walton Goggins muffs one of his lines, when he's telling Raylan who he's with. "Picker. I didn't ask to think if he was a guitar player."

Which do you guys prefer: mini arcs at the start of the season, or stand-alone procedural episodes?

The mini-arcs, but the dentist episode is still one of my favorites of the series.

guess that's why they spent that time building up the Colt/Tim story, with random Drug Buddy in the middle.

That's another nice mini-arc.

Klocker

Fantastic episode! It's a little weird how Raylan has no residual admiration for Shelby.

was thinking the same thing.... only thing I can imagine is that he can only picture him as a criminal now as he spent all season chasing him or maybe is pissed he was made a fool of, (hiding under his nose)

but yes, I expected a little connection there still

My guess for Shelby's end this season....

Shelby is going to end up doing something in Noble's Hollow that gives up his life in order to protect Ellen Mae.
I can just feel it.

One explanation from the Grantland review:
The most telling moment in the episode involves Raylan telling Drew that, hell no, he’s not going to let this old con have a gun, no matter how close the two got when Drew was still Shelby, and no matter how much an extra gun up on the roof of the school would help Raylan out. Raylan says there’s a line between criminal and lawman, and since Drew started out on the opposite side of that line from Raylan, he can never truly cross it. The scene, as staged by director Michael Watkins, drives home just how isolated Drew is from everybody else, trapped by a past he’s been trying to outrun for decades. He’s a constant reminder of the running Boyd and Raylan have been doing, even if they seem to end up right back where they started. The inescapability of the past has always been the major theme of Justified, but it seems particularly acute this season. Or, if you look at it another way, Arlo Givens may be dead, but because of actions he took in the ’80s, he’s never hung as heavily over the series as he does tonight.

I'm sure I first read the link in this thread, but might be misremembering it. Is it true they had no idea who Drew Thompson was going to be when they started the season? It would be pretty amazing if they hadn't planned it to be Shelby in those first few episodes with him helping Ellen May.

We have to get a callback with the psychic ex-wife at some point.

I'm sure I first read the link in this thread, but might be misremembering it. Is it true they had no idea who Drew Thompson was going to be when they started the season? It would be pretty amazing if they hadn't planned it to be Shelby in those first few episodes with him helping Ellen May.
Yes, that's correct. Yost mentioned it in one of his post-episode Q&A's.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

We have to get a callback with the psychic ex-wife at some point.

Any other show would have written itself into a corner and come out with some bullshit revelation or all solving deux ex machina. I guess it's a good thing Justified is unlike any other show.

Here's the part of the Q&A:
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: When did you decide that Shelby (Jim Beaver) would be Drew Thompson?

GRAHAM YOST: We didn’t know until we were finishing up breaking episode 405. We had played with various other possibilities. Initially, we were thinking Drew would be a Clover Hill person. And then we thought, “Eh, we don’t really know them. We’re not invested.” And then we thought maybe Josiah [guest star Gerald McRaney], who got his foot chopped off. “Yeah, but we were thinking we wanted Drew to go on the run, and that wouldn’t work.” And then I got a call that Ben Cavell in the writers room had hit on an idea. It might have come up before that, and we all just kind of pooh-poohed it. But in that context, he said, “What if Shelby’s Drew?” And we put [story editor] VJ [Boyd] on it — we jokingly call him Storytron 6000 — and he’s brilliant at tracking everything back and saying, “Okay, in season 2, this is what we knew about Shelby…” So he tracked it back and found that it could fit with a few little nudges. Tim’s response immediately to it was ours: We liked the idea of a guy who was on the run from the law working as a sheriff’s deputy for years and then becoming the sheriff. That was partly suggested by something that [EP Fred Golan] had read about, a guy was running for Congress and then it was found out he was living under a stolen identity. Then it became a balancing act: We wanted to support the answer, but we didn’t want to give it away. The thing is, in this modern world, people really pay such close attention to everything in a show, and because of the various forums and blogs and feeding off each other, it’s harder to really pull it off as a complete surprise.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm not too shocked that Raylan held some animosity against Shelby. I mean, he never really liked him that much to begin with. He always thought he was crooked, even before the Drew Thompson stuff, because Shelby was in league with Boyd. He never trusted him, now he just has even more justification for feeling that way.

I'm not too shocked that Raylan held some animosity against Shelby. I mean, he never really liked him that much to begin with. He always thought he was crooked, even before the Drew Thompson stuff, because Shelby was in league with Boyd. He never trusted him, now he just has even more justification for feeling that way.

ICWUDT

Linius

Guess I'm very late to pick up on this, but my mom was watching The Following the other day and I saw Winona walking by. Is that the reason we haven't been seeing her much this season? :(

Tokubetsu

Can't wait for:

Justified - Season 5 - Jackie Nevada Watch 2k14 - Tuesdays on FX

"Yeah that ep was great but where's Jackie Nevada?"
"The hot passionate kiss between Boyd and Raylan finally happened, was cool and all but...where's Jackie Nevada?"
"Glad they brought Winona back just to kill her but would have loved it if Jackie Nevada had pulled the trigger"

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Can't wait for:

"The hot passionate kiss between Boyd and Raylan finally happened, was cool and all but...where's Jackie Nevada?"
"Glad they brought Winona back just to kill her but would have loved it if Jackie Nevada had pulled the trigger"

Oh don't tease me

Seriously. Save the ugly Jackie Nevada gifs for when she actually becomes relevant.

Jackie Nevada's always relevant.

tumblr_miosxolFfJ1ryg2x2o1_500.gif

Can't wait for:

Great minds think alike.

I wouldn't be opposed to Gugino/Karen coming back though if Jackie Nevada is being saved for Season 6.

Tokubetsu

She looks much prettier there. I think they've played her down in the last couple seasons.

Granted this was her "Recently got rid of my husband so im just taking it easy, day drinking and living the door open" phase. She had no stress. I'm about to pop in my discs.

You mean the young, pretty girl with a great smile, amazing body, and sharp personality?

I'll give you 2 out of 3, but that woman cannot act. Her scenes felt like watching a teenager reading a report in front of the class. I thought her whole character seemed really dumb.

I could watch that stripping gif all day though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom