• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

This guy's coming back next season to wreak some havoc.

tumblr_l6ji9jbYAg1qc9stu.jpg

Angry Boyd. You heard it here first. Police and funeral man dun fucked up

Burt

By the way, was I the only one who got super nervous from the music when they were switching the bodies in the morgue? My heart was fucking thumping and I was expecting the roof to fly off and a chopper to shine a spotlight in or something else crazy, and then nothing happened. Then, the cop shows up again later when least expected. I felt like I'd been bamboozled.

By the way, was I the only one who got super nervous from the music when they were switching the bodies in the morgue? My heart was fucking thumping and I was expecting the roof to fly off and a chopper to shine a spotlight in or something else crazy, and then nothing happened. Then, the cop shows up again later when least expected. I felt like I'd been bamboozled.

The whole episode I was just waiting for shit to pop off at any moment my gawt

A few highlights from the Sepinwall interview:
Sepinwall: Had you specifically planned to bring back Limehouse towards the end of the season, or did the story just go there and you realized Mykelti was available?

Graham Yost: We've been talking about how we could use Limehouse. We didn't want to just use him — just spot him in the season. Fred Golan had an idea, because we all love Dewey Crowe, that while Shelby and Ellen May are trying to get out of Harlan, we just see Dewey Crowe run across the road to establish that he escaped from prison. (With Limehouse), it really needed to be something that had some weight to it. So when we came up with this story for Limehouse: How far will he go to achieve his ends? He is the wiser man, and sees that if he keeps going down this path, he's going to lose everything — lose his soul. We thought that was resonant with where we were going, and it turned out that Mykelti was, in fact, available.

Sepinwall: And does Constable Bob still have his job? Will Patton Oswalt be back?

Graham Yost: Yeah, Constable Bob still has his job. We just have to see. It's always our fear with these characters everybody loves: we're just terrified of wearing out the welcome. How much we see of Bob next season, I can't say. But I know that Bob is a big part of the show going forward.

Sepinwall: But clearly there's a "Deadwood" arms race going on between you and Kurt Sutter that will not be completed until one of you bags McShane. Don't you want to be the victor?

Graham Yost: We'll see. We've talked about it. It's just trying to talk about the right thing for him, and again subject to availability. Believe me, if we got a call from Ian McShane saying he wanted to be on the show, then maybe we would try to focus on that and find something for him. A little bit of that happened with Gerald: interest was expressed, and Tim's known him for years, and we thought this character might be a good fit for him.

Sepinwall: You say it's getting harder and harder. If you had your druthers, how much longer would the show run?

Graham Yost: Druthers, really, six years. Two more seasons. It's difficult. Tim and I will both say that it's the best job we've ever had in many respects. And Tim would say he'd happily play Raylan for the rest of his life, but then it's finding the stories that really intrigue us. And in terms of this world, a big part is the Raylan and Boyd relationship. How many more moves do we have of that? That almost becomes a bigger concern. And just the Kentucky of it. if we were to move the show outside of Kentucky, it would be a very different show that we couldn't put under the "Justified" banner anymore. "Justified" is Kentucky.
Much more via the link. (Johnny, Theo Tonin, etc...)

Larimore: We saw last week that Justified got picked up for a fifth season. Do you have any hints for us, as to what we can expect?

Pitts: No idea. No one does—but I reserve Graham Yost's right to pull out the tablecloth at the end of the sixth season and say "Ah-hah! I had it worked out all along.” I was just thinking, though, that as there's been talk of Reservoir Dogs homages lately, that I would love to do a Rain Man homage with Dewey Crowe.

Yes, please.

Clevinger

That was superb

you guys who were earlier saying this season was underwhelming are crazy; I think it's my favorite so far

my only complaint was there wasn't time to show Boyd's reaction after Raylan's plan

Yes, please.
The whole Pitts interview is hilarious. I'm glad to have him on Justified, but I wish he'd do more comedy on the side.

Oh, this probably explains why Ava "had to go alone" (from the Pitts interview.)
Yost also said in the EW interview:
EW.com: While Boyd was off with Raylan, Ava ditched Jimmy and went on her own to get rid of Delroy’s body. Was that so only she would go down if she got caught?

Yost: We had lines in there that we cut, just for the sake of moving it along, which were to support also the idea that when she killed Delroy, and she and Ellen May cleaned up the crime scene and then moved the body and dumped it down this shaft, if she had done that by herself, and Ellen May didn’t know where the body went, that would have been a smarter move. It was just, “Yeah, I trust you, Jimmy, but I don’t want you to know where the body’s going.”
Kinda crazy that he screwed up his ankle that badly in the scene and they just kept on rolling.

Klocker

Sepinwall: But clearly there's a "Deadwood" arms race going on between you and Kurt Sutter that will not be completed until one of you bags McShane. Don't you want to be the victor?

Graham Yost: We'll see. We've talked about it. It's just trying to talk about the right thing for him, and again subject to availability. Believe me, if we got a call from Ian McShane saying he wanted to be on the show, then maybe we would try to focus on that and find something for him. A little bit of that happened with Gerald: interest was expressed, and Tim's known him for years, and we thought this character might be a good fit for him.

yes please!

oh and great season, great finale

Tokubetsu

Finale really hammered home the theme of inescapability of history. Both Raylan and Boyd are in pretty much the same positions as they were in season one. Boyd being humbled and losing the thing/s he claimed to love again. Raylan proving everyone right by being every bit the angry man his father was. Nice touch with both their final scenes ending with them and an empty house.

Also loved the bit with Raylan and the right hand man to Nick talking about how it never pays to be top dog.

PARENTING: YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT!!
imTCJBlwlJjPX.gif

Oh no's, the tumblrfication of GIFS. This would be great for that thread, if it wasn't one hell of a spoiler.

Everything about the morgue switcheroo felt ominous to me. I though the cop was going to lock Jimmy (expanded role) and Ava in there when they got the body. I didn't know for sure if a double cross was coming, it just felt like something bad was going to happen. It eventually did. Ava, Ava, Ava, what were you thinking? Let Boyd take care of everything, you had no reason to go off and do it your way.

Also, this show is different. The Winona/Raylan situation could have been played out for the entirety of the hour. That's how shows that go by the tried and true convention play things out. Instead with Justified at least, the shocker ending from the penultimate episode was resolved while the credits were still rolling. Admirable storytelling.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
One thing I loved about this season is how they managed to create the feeling that this season was about twice as long as it actually was. Remember when the church and the preacher were in the forefront? The girl and Rapes-with-a-smile? Lindsay and the fighter? Jody and Kenny? The whole sex party thing? It just feels like all of this shit happened ages ago, when it really hasn't been too long, in the show and irl. But even so, it all still manages to fit together in a natural way. It's all strange and aloof, but simultaneously belongs.

I guess what I'm saying in a convoluted way is that the scale of this season and plot seems to stretch much further than it actually does. If that makes any sense. It's late and I'm tired, so it may not.

Seth C

"In the deep dark hills of eastern Kentucky" is always too much for me. I don't think those of you who aren't from there can ever understand. My family arrived in the 1700s and I'm the first to escape the hills. We were the first settlers in what became Prestonsburg, Floyd county. My great-great-great-great-grandfather murdered two men in Floyd county. At least four generations lived on the same little hollow, never escaping. My grandfather and grandmother's bodies now rest in the same cemetery as those two men that were slain 200 years ago.

For all I know, something will pull me back there kicking and screaming so that I finish my life where I started it. No other place in the entire world will ever truly feel like home for me. There is a longing, despite the fact that every visit is somber and depressing. I hate it, but it's woven in to my being. It's inescapable.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great finale. I loved the exchange between Boyd and Raylan in the car, as well as Boyd's breakdown scene. One thing's for sure: Bernard from Lost is fucked. Kentucky Heroin King Boyd will stop at nothing to punish that bastard for what he did to Ava.

Wants to be in front of camera as much as possible considering this is her last episode.

I hope. Fuck you, Ava.

This time you've gone too far.

A few highlights from the Sepinwall interview:Much more via the link. (Johnny, Theo Tonin, etc...)

Sepinwall: Do you have a specific plan in mind for Ava for next season, or might this become a Winona situation where Joelle only appears occasionally going forward?

Graham Yost: We plan on seeing her a lot next season.

:D :D :D

Well, I think the only way that could have been better is if I'd gotten to watch ol' Nicky get ventilated. Compare this masterful finale to The Walking Dead's and just shake your head.

I liked the little Deadwood parallel in Boyd and Raylan's conversation in the car. Seth Bullock and Al Swearengen, Miltch once said in an interview, are very similar in terms of personality, separated only by a badge that gives Bullock the justification to beat bad guys. And so it seems with Boyd and Raylan, or at least Boyd would like Raylan to think so.

What exactly is going on with the preacher's sister, Cassie? We know Ellen May herself confessed to the cops, so no info seems to have leaked to the police from other sources... but Cassie had something to do with Ava's takedown. Of course, she had every reason to assume would be Boyd's arrest as well, and he was likely the real target. But what kind of connections does Cassie have in order to have had part in that setup? What believable relationships could she have that would explain her presence in that scene? At the very least, I'm now dead-set against Tim ending up with her, which I thought might happen.

And what happened to Johnny? He's not in jail... right? And he's definitely no friend of Boyd's anymore. So he's just... offscreen? Hmm... something tells me we've not seen the last of the lesser Mr. Crowder...

The most brilliant thing about Raylan's play against Nicky GUTS (RIP, scumbag) is Raylan didn't break the law. He perhaps didn't behave morally, but he wasn't acting as a police officer, and if Art finds out what he did, there's nothing they can do to him except take his badge for good. And he did give the guy the option to surrender. (Or, knowing he would never go for that deal, was that really an internal justification for what Raylan knew was going to happen next? Hmm...) Plus, the police weren't going to do shit to any of the Tonin boys anyway. I don't think Raylan feels bad about it, and I'm glad.

All in all, great finale. The writers didn't give us a repeat of anything we've seen before. It was a little more low-key than previous finales (and so was the season itself), but it felt right. I didn't get to see Ellen May and Drew ride off into the sunset like I wanted, but after last week, I knew that was off the table. (I hope we'll see one or both of them again.) And I liked the image of Raylan covering over the hole in his daddy's house, that hole where the trouble came from that started the entire season off. (Did not so much like the final image, which could suggest something I hope is not in Raylan's future, at least in the show.)

My optimism/obsession is not diminished vis-à-vis Bobby Quarles. Theo Tonin might have (rather conveniently) retired offscreen, but his son and his former empire are still a factor. Raylan may have done Sammy a favor, but that doesn't mean the marshals are friends with the Tonins now. And, again, a living Quarles could have a lot of helpful info about that family. (So could a living Drew Peterson, come to think of it.)

And shit, I thought for the longest time we had one more season left. But we have two! For me, it's like the show just got extended a season. There are so many places they can go with it in two freaking seasons...

In the meantime, I gotta read me some Elmore Leonard. Any suggestions on where to start with his books/stories?

That was superb

you guys who were earlier saying this season was underwhelming are crazy; I think it's my favorite so far

I liked that they backed away from the "villain of the season" formula that was developing after seasons 2 and 3. They brought the story back to something a little more "local" and intimate, like the stuff from season 1 almost. And, at the same time, it was still sort of epic in scope with the presence of the Detroit mob looming over everything.

I have no complaints. In fact, I think this season was stronger than last season (which I liked a lot).

I think one of my quotes from earlier in the season predicting Ava getting caught, is somewhere in this thread :p.

Anyone, loved this episode. Although most of the story arcs were resolved in the last episode, this felt like a nice epilogue to tie up the loose ends and set the characters up for the next chapter.

"In the deep dark hills of eastern Kentucky" is always too much for me. I don't think those of you who aren't from there can ever understand. My family arrived in the 1700s and I'm the first to escape the hills. We were the first settlers in what became Prestonsburg, Floyd county. My great-great-great-great-grandfather murdered two men in Floyd county. At least four generations lived on the same little hollow, never escaping. My grandfather and grandmother's bodies now rest in the same cemetery as those two men that were slain 200 years ago.

For all I know, something will pull me back there kicking and screaming so that I finish my life where I started it. No other place in the entire world will ever truly feel like home for me. There is a longing, despite the fact that every visit is somber and depressing. I hate it, but it's woven in to my being. It's inescapable.

Raylan is that you? Jesus Christ.

Why did he kill 2 men?

xenist

That was some badass shit.

Fuck Boyd for dragging Ava into his shit. Serves him right. And what is it with me and women shooting people? For fuck's sake I'm starting to like Whineona.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Man, I love this show. The finale had some tense scenes and I always love Boyd and Raylan together. Also glad to see more of Winona <3

The wait for next season will suck, but at least S3 is way behind us now.

Seth C

Raylan is that you? Jesus Christ.

Why did he kill 2 men?

Don't know. He was working on their farm and for some reason turned on them and killed the father and son (both adults). It was wiped from the family's oral tradition so I only found out about it when I went digging up genealogy. Not too surprising given it happened 200 years before I was even born, but my grandfather didn't even know the guy's name and it would have just been his great-grandfather. I suppose very quickly that is something you just "don't talk about", especially given what happened after.

According to newspapers at the time, he was broken out of jail. His family claim the victim's family broke him out and hanged him. The victjm's family claimed his family broke him out and the rumors were that he fled to Ohio. I couldn't find proof, but there was a man about his age living in Ohio county, Kentucky during a census many years later. Same first name, but changed spelling of the last name. He was about 70, and was living alone with no relatives, which would have been very odd at that age and in that time. So I suspect that was him, but I can't be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom