• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I was glad that someone got Gutterson'd but at the same time I must confess that the Justified-verse seems emptier without Colt.

eh, sometimes Colt's drug addicted murder sprees felt really out of place in the Justified world.

He just shows up out of nowhere in the premiere, then becomes kind of a stereotypical fuckup. And Boyd trusts him more than a smart man like Boyd ever should. He even trusted Boyd to deliver Drew to Augustine after he lost Ellen May on his only other similar task.

Someone needs to gif the google translator scene but just him saying "i am going to need to download google translator to understand you" or whatever.
L1A3fVK.gif

Sapiens

eh, sometimes Colt's drug addicted murder sprees felt really out of place in the Justified world.

He just shows up out of nowhere in the premiere, then becomes kind of a stereotypical fuckup. And Boyd trusts him more than a smart man like Boyd ever should. He even trusted Boyd to deliver Drew to Augustine after he lost Ellen May on his only other similar task.

Drug addicts can be very charismatic people. I speak from experience. It's kind of like you want to trust them.

Maybe not the case here, but how can one deny Colt's Depardeau-esque good looks and charm?

JDSN

Banned
Limehouse is such a complex character, dealing with people like Boyd and Mags while coming up on top while having a strong moral center. At the end of the day he is just trying to save the holler at his own terms.

Also, kinda worrying to see Tim taking a memento. (trophy?)

tokkun

Isn't that what soldiers typically do on the battlefield though?

It's also what serial killers typically do to their victims, which is part of what makes it unnerving. I think most people understand that military combatants have a certain necessity to dehumanize their enemies and promote a sense of personal and group superiority in order to function effectively in a war. That is not the sort of dynamic we want existing between law enforcement and citizens. It's one of the big reasons most societies have a civil police force that is separate from their military.

If that's not convincing, just consider how you feel about the idea of police officers robbing the bodies of people they have fatally shot.

Season finale tonight!
Ghosts

Raylan has a final showdown with the Detroit mob; Boyd and Ava try to keep an incriminating secret buried.
I'm going to be watching later than usual tonight, and I'll update reviews when I finish up.

Burt

Final showdown? Final showdown?!?!? That's no good. Detroit has been fucking with Harlan since season 1, and it would be a shame if they cut it out anywhere short of the series finale. Raylan needs to get up there some time to be taken out of his element and add some real tension. Maybe Boyd gets captured and taken for execution Drew Thompson-style and Raylan has to go to Detroit to kill the entire Detroit mob and save him? Now that would be a series finale. Can't be that expensive to film in Detroit. Then again, Harlan is such a part of the show maybe they shouldn't do that.

Anyway

PUMPED

But also sad, because no more Justified for a while.

Polari

My bet's on Winona getting the axe with next season all about Raylan bent on revenge. He's always kind of teetered on the edge, I'd love to something like this push him over it and next season all bets are off.

Only thing against it is Yost saying the wouldn't do anything bad to the baby around the start of the season (I think). Fuck that, I don't want to see Raylan the babby daddy, I want to see Raylan go all Charles Bronson Death Wish on Detroit.

Burt

My bet's on Winona getting the axe with next season all about Raylan bent on revenge. He's always kind of teetered on the edge, I'd love to something like this push him over it and next season all bets are off.

Only thing against it is Yost saying the wouldn't do anything bad to the baby around the start of the season (I think). Fuck that, I don't want to see Raylan the babby daddy, I want to see Raylan go all Charles Bronson Death Wish on Detroit.

Pfff why do you think they introduced Jackie Nevada this season? Babysittin', yo.

Wario64 pointed out on Twitter that the S3 blu-rays are on sale at $20 on Amazon right now in case anyone wants to grab a copy. S1 & S2 are still around $30ish at the moment.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I've already got such a marshal stiffy for this finale

Glad Mad Men starts this weekend to fill the hole that Justified is going to leave :')

A couple critics weighing in on tonight's episode:
Sepinwall said:
Excellent finale. Very focused on both Raylan & Boyd after an expansive season.
Maureen Ryan said:
Justified S4 finale=excellent. Watch. Also, renewing yearly plea to @JustifiedFX: Put JackieEarleHaley on this show please.

Wario64 pointed out on Twitter that the S3 blu-rays are on sale at $20 on Amazon right now in case anyone wants to grab a copy. S1 & S2 are still around $30ish at the moment.

Bought yesterday! I'd say thanks for the heads up but I was already keeping my eye on it :)

So pumped for tonight. I was watching S2 the other day and Boyd was a cocky motherfucker. It's been weird seeing him up against the wall most of this season, and sadly, I feel like he's going to be in an even worse place by the end of it.

I'm still interested in seeing his wife someday. It's already been noted that he has one, and you just know she's gotta be cool as shit to be with Art.

Justified-palooza continues:

- Onion A|V Club's Random Roles feature: Graham Yost talks Justified, Speed, and… Full House?
Graham Yost got his start in kids’ TV and sitcoms, writing for the Nickelodeon dude-ranch comedy Hey Dude and the Norman Lear-produced The Powers That Be before landing his big writing break, penning the screenplay for Speed, the famed “bus that couldn’t slow down” thriller of 1994. From there, his career took him to writing several other action movies, including Broken Arrow and Hard Rain, but he also dabbled in hourlong TV, including the HBO miniseries From The Earth To The Moon and Band Of Brothers. In the early 2000s, he sold a pilot to NBC, which became the Rashoman-inspired cop drama Boomtown. Since then, he’s bounced around the dramatic-TV landscape, finally landing as showrunner and developer of FX’s Elmore Leonard adaptation Justified, which closes out its fourth season tonight. Yost—whose work is marked by wry humor, unexpected plot turns, and larger-than-life characters—recently talked to The A.V. Club about switching up the format of Justified for the fourth season, why he was a poor fit for Full House, and his work on the new FX series The Americans.

The parts on Justified:
Justified (2010-2013)—executive producer, writer
The A.V. Club: When you’re getting into season four, five, six, how do you keep a show like this fresh?

Graham Yost: I don’t know if there’s any one particular recipe for keeping it fresh, but we don’t want to repeat ourselves. For example, in this season we didn’t even have Boyd and Raylan cross paths until the fifth episode, because we’ve done so many scenes of Raylan going to see Boyd or Boyd going to see Raylan. We wanted to try and figure out new ways to do it this year. Similarly, in seasons two and three we had what we called “the big bad.” In season two it was Mags Bennett [Margo Martindale]; in season three it was Robert Quarles [Neal McDonough] and also Limehouse [Mykelti Williamson], but Quarles was really the focus of the badness. So this year, we decided we wanted to have the season driven by a mystery and that dictated how we would then lay out the season. Thankfully, people have recognized that this season is a different animal, but they also seem to be enjoying it. We didn’t know entirely if it would work, but we knew we needed to try something. And we have no idea what we’ll do next season or in a sixth season.

AVC: What was the biggest shift in moving from a big villain to a big mystery?

GY: Well, the big pro was that we didn’t have to delay the final confrontation between Raylan and the bad guy. We were able to do that in the second season because Mags didn’t really emerge as the bad guy until several episodes in. The audience knew from the poisoning death in the first episode, but Raylan wasn’t entirely aware of that until we were well into the season. And we had sons of hers that he could slowly work his way through and focus his ire on. In the third season, it was difficult to keep Raylan from just going up and killing Quarles. We sort of had to dance around that and delay things. I think we did a pretty good job, but it was an effort. So when we had a mystery for the fourth season, we knew that we didn’t have to worry about that, but then the con is playing out a mystery. What does Raylan find out, and when does he find it out? That became a real challenge.

AVC: When you have a mystery built around a central question like “Who is Drew Thompson?” do you worry about the audience getting ahead of the characters?

GY: Yes, absolutely. We’ll see how much of the audience had figured it out. I have to be perfectly honest that the answer that we came up with was not something that we had been planning from the beginning. We had a different path, and it just wasn’t that satisfying, and then Ben Cavell, one of our writers, came up with the idea in the room one day, and we thought about it, we tracked it back, and did it make sense. It sort of feels like, “Wow, we must have been planning that from the beginning,” but we hadn’t.

Once we figured out the answer, then we started to put in stuff that would support that and then that becomes the question, “Have we gone too far? Is the audience going to figure it out?” And I have to say that the audiences today are so smart and pay attention to every little thing, so I’m sure there’ll be a big chunk of Justified’s audience of committed viewers who will figure it out. We did our best to hide it, but there are some who will get it. Hopefully they’ll enjoy it anyway.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Zea is my secret Waifu and all that, but I'll be damned if I don't want her to be eviscerated in The Following. Her character is SO TERRIBLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom